Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Vixenella posted:

I'm making a cake for my Mother in Laws birthday on Saturday and wanted to try a new recipe. It calls for Root Beer flavouring but I can't find it anywhere, I have 2 places left to try but if I can't find it what should I use?

I have some root beer candies could I just put them in vodka and use that? Will the alcohol cook off, as she doesn't like the taste of alcohol?

Can you give us the link to the recipe or maybe post it here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I never got to post this recipe in the slow cooker thread, but this turned out to be one of my favorite slow cooker dishes. You will probably have to adjust the salt to your specifications.

Stewed Rabbit with Red Wine and Wild Mushrooms

COOKER: Large round or oval
SETTING AND COOK TIME: HIGH for 3½ to 5 hours,
plus 30 minutes to reduce the sauce

Two 2½ to 3-pound rabbits, each cut into 6 pieces, rinsed, and patted dry
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium-size yellow onions, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
½ cup chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 cup hearty red wine
3 cups chicken broth

MUSHROOMS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water to cover for 1 hour, drained, and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons minced shallots
4 cups (about 12 ounces) thickly sliced wild mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster, and/or shiitake
2 tablespoons slivered oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
½ cup sliced drained olives
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Season rabbit liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the rabbit on all sides. Transfer to the slow cooker. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, wine, and broth and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture over the rabbit. Cover and cook on HIGH until the rabbit is very tender and falling off the bone, 3½ to 5 hours.

2. Remove the rabbit from the cooker. Strain the sauce, returning all of the braising juices to the cooker. Cook, uncovered, on HIGH until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, remove the meat from the rabbit bones and discard the bones and braising vegetables. Season the meat with salt and pepper and set aside, keeping warm.

4. While the braising liquid is reducing, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the porcini mushrooms and shallots and cook, stirring, until just beginning to color. Add the wild mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Set aside, keeping warm.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 22, 2011

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Vixenella posted:

Root beer cake

Since you're also using root beer as the liquid in the cake, I would omit the root beer flavoring alltogether. Replace it with some vanilla extract if you like.

That frosting sounds really interesting, I've never seen a frosting using butter and ice cream. Are you supposed to keep it chilled? Let us know how it turns out!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Mine comes frozen :( I wish I could get them from my yard like notsoape!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

If you're talking about using already corned corned beef, I learned about this recipe today for corned beef bao that I am determined to attempt with our St Patty's Leftovers.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

cyberia posted:

I bought a daikon radish the other day. What's the best thing to make with it? Is there a quick / easy recipe to pickle it?

Peel and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Generously sprinkle with some salt, exact measurements don't matter because you're going to let it sit for a while (15-20 min) in a colander to drain and then rinse it off. Put the cubes in a bowl or a jar. Mix together equal parts sugar, white vinegar, and water until the sugar is dissolved and pour it over the radish cubes until they're all submerged. Let it sit in the vinegar mixture for at least an hour and it'll be good to go. This pickle is what you usually get with korean fried chicken. It'll keep in the fridge for a few days.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I know eating habits are deeply ingrained and all but there's no reason not to eat a variety of food for first-meal. If you insist on a meat and egg breakfast how about a ham and cheese omelet or steak and poached egg. If you're feeling fancy, make egg on a cloud with ham cheese and whole wheat toast.

Don't forget about oatmeal and greek yogurt, which are both quick, easy, and versatile. You can always find ways to add proteins in your later meals.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

According to McGee, frequent flipping will actually result in a more evenly cooked steak that will also be done faster than a steak that is flipped once or twice. You will get a thinner "well done" layer and a better crust. In conclusion, flip your meat.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

I just bought some vital wheat gluten for making Seitan. I'm curious though if it can be added to other foods to increase the protein content. I'm lazy, so I'd prefer adding it in it's powdered form.

For example, what would happen if I just stirred in 1/4 cup with rice in a rice cooker and cooked it normally?

I've never even thought of doing that. Try it and report back I guess. What's the worst that could happen?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

You should definitely cook your oatmeal. It will make it easier for your mouth to chew and your body to digest. More importantly cooking oatmeal makes it taste better.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Grushenka posted:

Would a caramelised onion chutney work well with brie, or should I stick to pairing it with slices of fruit?

That sounds great. If you have leftovers (hah unlikely) you could make caramelized onion and brie pizza.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

If you want the texture like you'd get at a Chinese fast food restaurant, a lot of times they're passed through hot oil either in a deep fryer or a wok of oil first.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

You could make vegetable mandoo with a filling made of egg, tofu, bean sprouts, napa cabbage, onion, and vermicelli noodles.

Also Kimbap if you can find the yellow daikon pickles.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I like everything about that except where they show you your food and take it away for 3 minutes before bringing it back. I mean I get the point and all but I would be pretty agitated during that time.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Angry Lady Sauce! I use mine like a condiment just before eating.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I found pink salt in a butcher shop. My regular grocery stores do not carry it at all.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Here are two cold bean salads that we've made and enjoyed. The first uses white beans and the second uses chickpeas.

edit: nvm did not see your bean requirements.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

A bitter melon maybe? What does it taste like?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I have a Benriner mandoline (there is an E at the end otherwise it is an instrument) and I am very happy with it. It comes with 3 blades and a useless handguard.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I also like Just Bento / Just Hungry. But mostly Cooking With Dog

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

There's also Moong dal which is split mung beans.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I am not trying to be snide but did you put in any salt?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

"Potable" is the word you're looking for, probably.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Yogurt is good. Also, make paneer.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Use it in any application where you would otherwise use bacon fat, butter, or oil.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Have you tried laying the dough out flatter before you bake it?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

So odd questions, but for you folks who work a desk job, what do you do for lunch? I got a bunch of decent ramen bricks and ate them but the sodium kills me and they're not very filling. Today I brought in one of my containers of slow cooked chicken, heated it up with some frozen vegetables I keep here and threw it on instant rice and threw some ginger sesame seasoning on top and it's pretty good. However, I'm weird and can't eat the same thing days in a row.

Just trying to eat a bit more healthy while saving money.

For my two-person household, I make 4-6 person sized dinners and pack up leftovers. I almost never cook something special just for bringing to work.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I think I'm pretty decent with a knife, considering I've been cutting at things for a while without managing to slice myself open. (Using a mandoline is a whole different story oh god my thumg) I think I could be better, faster, more efficient. I know my offhand grip on food is not the most effective. Do you have any favorite knife technique videos that I could look at to see what I'm doing differently?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I like this jalapeno cornbread recipe from about.com. Actually I like Chef John recipes in general.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Plan your dishes around what appliance is used to cook it. Make 2-3 cold things in advance, 1-2 things that you reheat in the microwave, 1-2 things to cook or finish on the stove, and 1 thing that can be prepped a day ahead that you put in the oven after you take the turkey out since the turkey needs to rest 20-30 minutes anyway.

Charmmi posted:

I think I'm pretty decent with a knife, considering I've been cutting at things for a while without managing to slice myself open. (Using a mandoline is a whole different story oh god my thumg) I think I could be better, faster, more efficient. I know my offhand grip on food is not the most effective. Do you have any favorite knife technique videos that I could look at to see what I'm doing differently?

Pleas Halp.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:|

Steve Yun posted:

Kind of hard to know what you need if we don't know what you're doing. Are you curling your fingers in on the food-holding hand?

Definitely not but I know what grip you mean. I understand the idea of using my knuckles to guide the knife but I never developed a habit for it.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Those are your two biggest things for good knife practices, along with keeping it sharp.

Check out youtubes of people chopping stuff, there's zillions of them of different vegetables

Which ones would you specifically recommend?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

89 posted:

Any suggestions on a good dinner for two that won't break the bank or send me shopping for equipment I don't have? Have a gas powered stove & an oven with things to bake in, skillets, pans, etc.

Can you manage something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSrR0CsbGWs

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks friends!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Usually we make turkey congee with the leftover carcass and eat it with cut up pieces of century egg.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Question for you all - I'm trying to find the right name for a particular potato entity, so I can search for a recipe for it.

Background - my mom was first generation Irish-American, raised in NYC, but in a very polycultural neighborhood (in the 50s). I suspect, but don't know for sure that this recipe might be some jewish, some variation of Latkes, but the pictures don't look like what I've seen from a bit of casual image searching.

She used to make a type of potato pancake that was fairly thin, involved raw grated potato, and a blender. I have a CSA, and we recently were deluged with a wintershare of root veg, and I wanted to make some. I wasn't feeling very hot, so boyfriend made them instead, and served me (delicious) but totally not what I was looking for dish of something that looked like slightly bready hashbrowns. The thing I was expecting was thin for an american pancake, tended to have browned edges (I vaguely recall she cooked them in left over bacon grease) and had no lumpy bits. There is a chance she just make whatever up herself, but I doubt it. She made it enough she never used a recipe that I saw, and unfortunately she's been dead 20 years so I can't really ask her. The pictures on the boxes of Latke mix in the grocery store don't look right, they're still hash-browny.

Is this a latke? is this something she just made up? Anyone know a good recipe? I know it involves egg, milk, potato, flour....

This is a korean recipe for a finely grated potato pancake. It might be close to what you were thinking of since it's kind of like a latke. The other thing I guess could be a basic crepe batter with finely grated potato mixed in. Try 2 part milk, 2 part egg, 1 part flour, and 1 part grated potato. Blend the batter and then make into crepes.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

It sounds like you're going to be around for most of the cooking time, so maybe you could cook the lentils on the stove until they're done to your liking and add to the soup at the very end.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

You can make salted squid if you can find fresh/frozen squid. There are directions in this Maangchi kimchi recipe. I usually skip the seafood component in my kimchi. I made salted squid once and I didn't really notice a difference in flavor, plus I thought the texture of biting into a piece of squid was unpleasant.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

So, I'm planning on making chicken stock for the first time this weekend and I had some questions.

I'm planning on removing the breast and poaching them to put into soup later, but the rest of the chicken is going to go into the stock. Should I brown the chicken and veg first, then add the water to the pot? Should I take the skin off? Should I take some of the meat off the drumsticks and roast those bones separately? Could I get away with tossing everything into the pot raw?

Were you looking to make something like this? Poach the chicken whole, skin and all, with some vegetables. Pull out after an hour and demeat the chicken, simmer the bones for another handful of hours, and strain out the stock. I'd take as much meat as you could pull off. I personally don't bother with browning but I don't see how it could hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

You could try something bitter like coffee or unsweetened cocoa powder.