Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jose posted:

Can I post a new (was it closed) sandwich thread without photos?

An OP with no pictures can work, but it's quite a stretch. I'd hold off until you secure a camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jose posted:

What I want to know is if I'd experience this with sushi? Part of why I hate the smell of fish is the smell of it cooking. I have never eaten sushi and decided to wait until I can try some from somewhere high quality. Am I making a mistake here and will just end up wasting money and should try one of those crappy supermarket sushi lunch boxes?

Don't get the stuff from the supermarket. Go to a decent sushi joint, worst case scenario you'll be out like $15. Try tuna, salmon, aaaaaand idk. Unagi (eel). Get sashimi or nigiri. Dip the fish in a little soy sauce, not too much. Use wasabi at your discretion. I hope you enjoy it!

zerox147o posted:

Do we have a soup thread? I'm going to make chicken noodle tomorrow and may document the process to get one started.

Will just be doing celery, carrot, onion, oregano, chicken broth, a small rotisserie chicken, and a box of those short cut noodles. Simple stuff, but it got cold and rainy in the northeast and that sounds like soup to me.

Don't feel compelled to make it into The Soup Thread. It can just as successfully be a well-documented thread about how you make chicken noodle soup.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

:catstare:

Stop eating eel! She is endangered!

Aw gently caress I forgot. But it's so delicious :(

Jose posted:

Thanks for the advice, I love horseradish and mustard but haven't eaten wasabi which is similar right?

Um, sort of similar. Give it a try at least, I love wasabi. It's like a rollercoaster made of food.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jose posted:

So another question for people. I don't consider myself a good cook by any stretch of the imagination. I can make very nice food because I can follow a recipe very well and take care to prepare in advance and make sure that I don't have to juggle too much poo poo at once so something may get burned for example.

What I am bad at is coming up with food ideas when I cook (currently living with my parents so less of an issue but it means I get to cook more unusual dishes since they can pay for the more exotic ingredients and I cook for myself based on craving) and basically being able to look at whats in the fridge for example and being able to make something good out of it.

Will this just come with time or is it one of those gifts that true cooks have?

I was in much the same place you are now a couple years ago. I feel like in the last year I've begun to really get comfortable where I can just toss stuff together and have it taste decent. It really does just take experience, and a willingness to just throw something away if it utterly fail. Luckily that happens very infrequently.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The most fun thing about pumpkin soup is serving it in a big hollowed-out pumpkin when it's done.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I feel like I'm going full-retard with this question but here goes. I recently bought a slow cooker because I am a lazy student, but no longer am content to eat takeaways and ready meals 24/7. So I fry up my mince, fry some onions, etc etc pop it all in the slow cooker and away I go.

The meal is bland, but edible. A decent first attempt. But halfway through eating I realise "I can't find my fried onions." Where did they go? Do onions dissolve or something? I'm so confused :eng99:

Depending on how long you cooked it for they may have indeed broken down into pieces so small you would be unable to locate them.

In terms of blandness though, I must ask: did you add salt at any point? Did you add some sort of acid, like vinegar or lemon juice? These two things are really important in making sure something doesn't end up bland. It's also good to add a little bit of heat to it. Cayenne pepper has more uses than you could possibly imagine. After that the other spices come in, black pepper being the most obvious and useful.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I didn't add any salt, but I did add chilli powder and hot pepper sauce, though I don't think I added nearly enough hot pepper sauce. The brand I usually use (Encona) is no longer stocked at my supermarket, so I had to improvise with something else. And I used a whole onion (diced into fairly small chunks), pan fried with the mince and then added to a jar of bolognese sauce in the slow cooker for about 8 hours.

It's my simple quick fix chilli that I usually make; fried mince, bolognese sauce, hot pepper sauce and chilli powder, except I added the slow cooker and some fried onions into the mix. Turned out tasting much less interesting than when I usually cook it, though I'm putting that down to not using the right, or right amount, of hot pepper sauce.

Your usual hot sauce might have quite a bit of salt in it, and changing sauces might have made it bland. You should always add at least some salt to your food, often quite a bit of salt. People have been convinced that salt is unhealthy, and that's bullshit. Unless you have a very particular medical condition, you can eat all the salt you want and you'll just piss it out. Don't hesitate to add salt to your food if it tastes bland, that's the first likely culprit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

E: I'm using 500g of mince (pre-cooked weight) and 560g of bolognese sauce, how much salt should I be adding to that?

No idea, add salt until it tastes good. There's just no way to tell someone how much salt they should put in their food, there are too many factors.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think like 20-22% ABV is shelf stable, however some liqueurs will lose flavor if they sit around opened forever. These are typically the lower-proof ones as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Corn syrup is nutritionally essentially identical to white sugar. The problem with corn syrup is that it's easy to add it to things that really don't need to have sugar in them, so it becomes ubiquitous in processed foods. But you're making candy, and if you're eating candy you're expecting to eat some sugar. Corn syrup ain't no problem there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

For two bucks I'm guessing either the knife is serrated, which is bad, or will go dull in a matter of weeks if not days. It's also probably not particularly well-balanced or shaped. A good knife has, in addition to much better quality steel which can hold an edge longer, solid design in how it should feel in your hand and move while you cut things with it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Upkeep is a bit of a bitch. Gotta keep it oiled or else it can start to rot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The memo is here. As to making stock, it's pretty easy. I made some and documented it in my ICSA entry. Any specific questions?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hahahah your wife sounds awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There is a program to make people afraid of food so that you can then sell them less scary food. Low fat! Low sodium! Gluten free! The best dietary advice I ever heard was that you should never eat anything you've seen advertised. I know the more copy I see on a food item the less interested I am in it. You don't need to advertise stuff that's actually food that people are supposed to eat, because eating is one of like three things your body knows how to do. You need to advertise when people need to be convinced to eat things. And if people need to spend millions of dollars to convince you to eat something, there might be a reason you weren't eating it in the first place. People all over the world eat coconut milk all the time. I promise you, the reason you're fat is the Doritos, not the Thai curry you made yourself at home.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm pretty sure some time ago someone posted an amazing recipe for browned butter sugar cookies rolled in turbinado sugar. It was either Kiteless, mediaphage, or Dane, but damned if I can remember which. Anyway, those cookies were loving amazing and I want to make them again. I'd appreciate a re-post of the recipe.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just leave it on and eat around it. Or be one of those terrible people that eats it too.

You are crazy if you don't eat the fat strip.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Whole wheat flour seriously impedes gluten development because the tiny bits of bran and germ break up the gluten chains. You need to either use half whole wheat and half AP, or increase your hydration, or let the gluten develop passively by having the dough sit around a while.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

angor posted:

How do I not gently caress up brown rice?

vvvv Sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Cheers!

This method has never failed me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Shut up shut up shut up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You should line a cup/jar with a Ziploc bag and then put the chili into that. That was it'll be more convenient to portion it out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean yeah, you just use the jar to make it leaps and bounds easier to scoop the chili into. It holds the bag open just right.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dulkor posted:

I'm considering trying some cooking with crickets, but I'm not entirely sure about reliable sources for recipes and/or good, reputable purchase options. Any goons know enough to point me in the right directions?

Clearly you missed the last ICSA.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you have a stand mixer you could make marshmallows. There was a marshmallow thread here in GWS but it was years ago. Lemme peek in the archives real quick.

edit: Oh yeah, here it is.

edit2: Although hmm, the OP recipe there doesn't call for egg whites. Ah well, this one online does.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 9, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Low-fat milk is an abomination. Milk contains fat. If it doesn't have its fat, it's not milk anymore, it's just vaguely impure water.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Lacolo posted:

Raised on 0.1% skim milk here in Denmark as well. Most people drink a 0.5% one though, but if it gets fatter than that, I think it gets too cream-like to just drink.

You poor cheerful bastards.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

SKEET SKEET posted:

Has anyone ever used marrow bones in chili before? Thinking about trying it tomorrow, maybe throwing it in to simmer with the beef. Thoughts?

Presumably you're using a certain amount of beef stock in your chili. Just simmer the bones with the stock for an hour or two to extract all manner of beefy deliciousness.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

CaptBubba posted:

Would a photo "how to re-season your cast iron skillet" thread be of interest to anyone?

Eeeeeeeeeeh we had a really long cast-iron pan thread pre-peas. You could or not, but there's not all that much to say about it after. Feel free to make it though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Same with a chilly glass of stout or nip of bourbon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Butter doesn't really go bad from bacterial contamination or anything. Butter goes rancid from exposure to sunlight and oxygen. Using something like a butter crock, which excludes both, you can keep butter for at least a month at room temperature, longer if salted.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

So I'm gonna be running the show at Thanksgiving this year and my girlfriend has requested I make something vegetarian too. Eggs are fine, so I suppose I could do a quiche of some sort, but I was wondering if y'all had any good ideas for hearty Thanksgiving-ish vegetarian main dishes to serve alongside turkey etc. I really dig fennel bulbs, so something with fennel would be awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

What would be a fun Thanksgiving dessert using pomegranate? Any thoughts?

edit: Other than the yogurt idea above which looks delicious, but more like breakfast. I'm pondering making some sort of very dense pomegranate jelly with some arils intact and then...puff pastry? I dunno.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Root vegetables are a great idea, since they're nice and hearty and make you feel full. Check out this roasted root vegetable recipe. It looks amazing.

I'd say something like that, combined with a squash soup of some sort (such as the much-celebrated peanut butternut squash soup that's been making the rounds), some mashed potatoes of course, and perhaps an egg/cheese-based tart of some sort, if she's cool with that, would make for a very approachable and incredibly delicious vegetarian meal. Throw in some homemade cranberry sauce and a pie of some sort and Bob's your uncle. Beans would also be appropriate, and are good and filling, though I can't think of any particularly Thanksgiving-ish bean recipes off the top of my head right now.

gently caress me that sounds good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brussels sprouts are awesome. I'm a fan of the standard ""slice in half, fry to a char in bacon grease" method, but I'm sure other stuff is good too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

SubG posted:

drat, you keep it cold in your place.

:golfclap:

Okay, so I'm planning my Thanksgiving meal for four. The menu as it stands is gonna be as follows:

turkey + fixin's
roasted root vegetables w/ garlic and thyme
mashed potatoes + gravy
that peanut butter squash soup/stew everyone's raving about
cranberry sauce
some steamed green veggies and/or spinach salad
dessert (which I haven't figured out yet)

Looks pretty good, right?

Kenning fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 19, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The reason I was looking at steaming was to have something crisp and fresh tasting to contrast with all the heavy, starchy flavors of root veggies and gravy and so on. I'm not very familiar with braising greens, actually – any tips?

Dangphat posted:

Bread sauce as well? Or do the US not go for that?

Looks delicious though, what wine to go with?

We don't do bread sauce as such, but it looks like it's pretty much a more liquid version of stuffing, which will definitely make an appearance at the table. Rather than wine I acquired a magnum of Anchor's winter ale, which is a good dark beer, the sort my parents love. I mostly got it because in addition to being really tasty, it's gonna be lots of fun to pop open the big bottle.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

FTM

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Probably not just one part each. I dunno, make some and taste it and adjust. And cumin is incredibly common/popular, you'll be able to find it. I dunno about chili powder though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

They're both definitely available but yeah that's a good point to be aware of! Caraway is Different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Make stock with that knuckle immediately. Then make beef bourguignon immediately thereafter.