Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just wanted to post in here and thank dino for his pretzel recipe. For a first effort they turned out OK (I over baked them. My thermometer was set for Celsius instead of Fahrenheit. Whoops)

For anyone that has made pretzels at home before and thought that they turned out a little pale, I have a tip: Bake the baking soda before hand. Put a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about an hour at 250. Use this baking soda when putting the pretzel forms in boiling water and you will get a very dark mahogany brown on the finished product. Be careful with the baked soda though, baking raises the alkaline levels of the soda and it can be irritating if you have sensitive skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

angor posted:

Alright, so I made this recipe with pretty good results. I want to do it again, but need a quick tip.

I want to get this ready today, then heat it up tomorrow and serve it. Should I shred, reduce, mix, refrigerate, broil before serving, OR, shred, reduce refrigerate separately, mix and broil before serving?

I'm worried about the pork drying out in the fridge if I don't mix it back immediately, but I don't know if that's going to happen or not.

If you are going to prepare today and finish in the broiler tomorrow I would do the first option (shred, reduce, mix, fridge). I see no reason to keep them separate and in fact, the flavors will probably marry better if they have had some time in each other's company.

squigadoo posted:

I have left over carnitas. I have pizza dough. Would you suggest using olive oil as a base for a carnitas topped pizza? I'd put some salsa and avocado on after baking. Maybe some shredded lettuce and a fwoosh of lime? Perhaps no cheese, as all I have is mozzarella.
I'd say get some cheddar and jack cheese and go from there.

If you are not using any cheese, and most of your toppings are going to be cold and applied after cooking the dough/heating the meat, then yes, I'd say a light coating of olive oil on the pizza dough, then topped with the carnitas, baked until warm and then topped with the avocado, salsa, and lime would be good. Though at this point you are just assembling tacos of a fashion using pizza crust instead of a tortilla or shell.

I'd probably add the cold toppings on a slice by slice basis myself so you didn't have the wetness seeping into the crust or the heat prematurely wilting the veg. Unless this is a pizza for one.

Although, thinking about it a bit further, you could make it more pizza like by using the salsa as a sauce. Maybe toss it in the food processor or reduce it on the stovetop to make it a bit more sauce like depending on consistency.

I guess it depends on if you want to make a pizza that has mexican flavors and toppings, or do you want to make a giant soft taco (tostada?) with a pizza crust base?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 12, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

a handful of dust posted:

I was gonna make some beef bourguignon tomorrow, using Anthony Bourdain's recipe:

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/anthony-bourdain/articles/boeuf-bourguignon

This is probably a stupid question, but should it be cooked uncovered on the stove, or covered in the oven at 325 or so, like you'd do a pot roast?

The recipe just says "simmer gently" for two hours.

Simmer gently in this case means uncovered on the stovetop. Typically, unless stated specifically, don't cover a dish while you are cooking. Also, that part of the recipe is calling for a reduction, which would be hampered by a lid.

EDIT: I just went looking for the Chicago Dining thread, but it appears to have gone bye-bye. Did I just miss it, or did it get put into Archives? Looking for a mid range place on the North side or in the North Burbs (Evanston, Skokie)

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 14, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cowcatcher posted:

Speaking of brewing, I've been making mead in a home setup for the last few months. It smells nice, looks clear and there's nothing obviously wrong with it, but how do I not kill myself when I finally try it?

Make sure to breathe through your nose when drinking and you should avoid killing yourself through drowning.

Unless you mean is it safe for human consumption. There is certainly some risk with anything home brewed, but as long as you followed proper cleaning and safe handling procedures, you should be OK. If it looks and smells OK, you're probably going to be fine. You're not making moonshine, so the chance of going blind is slightly less.

When the time is right, take a sample. If it smells bad, don't drink it. If it smells OK, but tastes funny, don't finish it. Start over. Looks good, smells good, tastes good? Probably OK.

Best advice is to check in the home brewing thread.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I've never seen this available anywhere, but the one time I was in Boston in March was several days after St. Pat's, so I guess that's probably why.

I think my issues with cured pork products (indigestion like wow) might be from the nitrates. When I cure my own I just use salt and spices, and I don't have any heartburn.

How does everybody like to cook theirs? I usually go with a crock pot full of beer. I simmered it in water the first time I made it from scratch and it turned out okay, but a lot less interesting than stout-simmered.

I cheat with a brisket that comes pre packaged, but I toss out that sad little packet and toss in my own spices (Bay leaves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, all spice, marjoram, thyme). Usually throw it in the crock with enough water to cover the meat, toss in a few potatoes and a lot of onions. Maybe this year I'll put in some beer and a few garlic cloves.

Leftovers are going into dumplings with kraut, swiss and thousand island. Not original, but should taste good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

tokki g posted:

I bought some pork tenderloins sat night, put a dry rub on them sun morning, and grilled most of them later that evening. I still have 2 chilling in the fridge. How long can they keep? I think I'll grill them tomorrow night.
Also accepting suggestions on things to do to it other than grilling. Note: I suck at cooking, but am good at following instructions because I am a scientist, or at least I'm in school to become one.

If you are planning on cooking them tonight or tomorrow and they've been in the fridge this whole time you will be fine.

You could pan sear them on all sides, the dry rub might burn/smoke so be ready for that. Finish it in the oven at about 350, cook time will depend on thickness, so go to 160 (EDIT: Wow. OK FDA now says 145 is OK for pork. I'm using old information).

If they are realatively thin you might be able to cook them entirely in the pan, but chances are that you would overcook them that way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

squigadoo posted:

It's so hot, and our apartment has crap air circulation. The vent over the stove/oven is similarly crap. What do you guys make when it's too hot to turn on the stove? I'm hoping for ideas beyond my default salad, pasta salad, noodle salad.....

Sandwiches

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I'm getting into the habit of cooking up some couscous and taking it in to work for lunch, but I'm growing tired of simple garlic, butter/olive oil, salt & pepper seasonings I've been doing.

What are some more traditional middle eastern spices I can use to bolster this? What about if I want to throw in some chicken or beef? I know it's a little vague, but I'm slowly learning to try new flavors.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I went out to dinner tonight to a place that does American Southern cooking. Tried collard greens for the first time...

Are they supposed to taste like someone tortured cabage and tossed with bad vinegar? I only ask because the rest of this restaurant's offerings were pretty bad and I wanted to know if I was broken or they were.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Can you swap out purple sweet potatoes for regular sweet potatoes in recipes? There is a killer sweet potato pie that I'm trying to replicate, that uses purple sweet potatoes (It's from Bob Chinn's if anyone is familiar). Since I don't have the actual recipe, could I adapt a regular SP Pie recipe and expect the purple variety to behave the same way?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

squigadoo posted:

How do you make an even cornstarch crust when you fry chicken, asian style? All the stuff I've read says to marinate, dry the meat, and dip in cornstarch before frying. Every time I do it, the crust disappears when I start frying. I'm looking for that slight puff that you see on chicken, pork etc. Or that smooth coating you see on the spicy salted chicken.

Is my chicken not dry enough? Oil not hot enough? Missing a step somewhere?

Dry doesn't really stick to dry all that well. You only mention cornstarch, and not a cornstarch batter, so if you have dry chicken pieces, dry cornstarch won't stick.

I'd have to see some recipes, but all I can think of is to either dredge the chicken in cornstarch without drying post marinade, or wipe off the excess marinade, dry the chicken and make a simple batter using just cornstarch and water. If you go with the second option, you will probably be looking for a consistency around pancake batter.

I suppose you could also do Marinated Chicken > Dry > Egg > Cornstarch, but that's not a very Asian style.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

You can always cheat and double dip too. Dredge, fry for a little bit, then re-dredge and re-fry.

That sounds like it would make for a very gummy coating or an extra thick one depending on how long in-between first and second frying, plus that gives greater chances to have something overcook I think.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

fuckpot posted:

I have these spices in the cupboard after making a (quite excellent) chicken tikka - here is the recipe http://www.indianfoodforever.com/non-veg/chicken/chicken-tikka-masala.html

Anyway, the spices I have leftover are cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, fennel, garam masala, ground cardamom and some garlic salt. I also obviously have pepper. Can anyone suggest a good idea for a steak spice rub that can be made with these ingredients? I just had a crack at it myself with a random bit of everything and tastes like bitter hell. Cheers.

edit: I am only making enough for two medium size steaks and there is also other random assorted household poo poo laying around like flour.

You could make a decent steak rub using, paprika (sweet or smoked?), cumin and cayenne with regular salt and pepper. That would give a decent Southwest style seasoning, a touch on the spicy side. Try starting with 3 parts paprika, 2 parts salt, 1 part cumin, and add cayenne and black pepper in small amounts. Taste it before applying to the meat, and adjust it to taste. Adding more cumin will give it a flavor closer to taco seasoning, so go light with it at first.

Save the cinnamon, fennel (seeds? ground?) and cardamom for making baked goods (or more tikka)

I'm not super familiar with using garam masala, or turmeric but I'm betting it's where some of the bitterness is coming from.

EDIT: Question of my own, is there a difference between Granulated Garlic and Garlic Powder?

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 3, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Grushenka posted:

So I made my first tres leches cake ever this past Sunday. It was pretty good, but I made it with plain vanilla and I feel that I could definitely do with adding things to it next time.

If I want to add ingredients, do I add them at the dry stage where I'm mixing the cake flour and sugar and such? If you like to make tres leches cake, what sort of stuff do you like to add to it?

It depends on the ingredients you are adding.

If you are talking liquid flavorings for example (almond extract, brandy, orange juice, whatever), add them with the wet ingredients.

If you are going to add something like nuts, you are probably best off adding them at the end or as a topping (if you want them crunchy), or grinding them into a powder and adding them with your dry ingredients (if you want them for flavor)

baquerd posted:

Anyone have any pointers for making bread (or bread-like food) with a predominant taste and smell of yeast? I want to bring it out as a flavor, and just adding more yeast seems to have negative side effects.

Let the dough sit for a longer time before baking. Still punch and knead like regular, but let it rest for a longer period of time.

Depending on the type of bread you are making you could add a little beer for additional yeast notes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Doh004 posted:

The marinade came out well and the flank steak was tasty. I cooked it on a super hot grill cast iron pan but I had an issue with it. I got a great crust on the outside and the inside was still rare/medium rare but when I went to cut it against the grain and on an angle, it seemed the outside almost separated from the middle. I tried it with my sharp chef's knife as well as a sharp serrated knife and both had the same thing happen. Did I do something wrong?

When you say the outside separated from the inside I'm picturing a meat donut of some kind, is that what you're saying happened? How thick is the steak, and how thick(wide) are the slices you are trying for?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

llbdtiberio posted:

Got myself some octopus and I want to cook it in my slowcooker. From what I gather it's a kind of tough meat so it will benefit from the slowcooker. Was thinking of chopping it up with some tomato sauce and spices and then cook it on low for around 8hours. Will this end in disaster?

I've not heard of Octopus stew or braise before, but I think your logic is sound.

That being said, if octopus is anything like squid, it starts off chewy, hits a sweet spot where it's tender, and then any cooking after that point turns it into bubblegum of the sea. 8 hours in a crock pot might loop you back to chewy pretty easy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hello. I'm looking for a recipe suggestion for brownie brittle and/or cookie brittle. I've looked around online, but the search results weren't that great, and the GWS wiki only has peanut brittle. My ultimate goal is to find something I can combine with vanilla ice cream to make a homemade ice cream sandwich dessert/treat. I thought the crunchy texture of the brittle would go well with the ice cream, and also keep the ice cream from smooshing out the sides when someone takes a bite.

Thanks!

Let's just do a quick vocabulary check so we can be sure that we are giving you what you are looking for

A "brittle" is traditionally a mixture of water and sugar combined in a pot over heat to make a simple caramel(toffee?), which is then poured over a small (crunchy) component, such as nuts, seeds or dried fruits. This is spread into a thin layer, allowed to cool and then broken into pieces and served. That's simplifying, but that's brittle.

What it sounds like you want is a recipe for a very thin, crunchy cookie (either chocolate chip, or fudge brownie-like) big enough to hold a scoop of ice cream. Would you say that's accurate?

If that's the case, you can take almost any favorite cookie recipe that you have, make cookies that are slightly larger than standard (maybe 3 TBSP size), spread them out a bit thinner, and keep an eye on the cook time.

When the cookies have cooled you can put a scoop of ice cream on he center of one and then press a second one on top. If you don't want it gushing out, go with slightly less ice cream than you think you need.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there a decent substitute for the lard? You can't get it here.

You might be able to use another semi-solid fat (ie Crisco) but you will miss out on the flavor that lard will provide. I will also ad that I have never used Crisco (or lard) in a slow cooker the way that Gravity is describing, but I trust him.

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have a good barbecue sauce recipe and a good rub for smoking pork shoulder? For the sauce ideally I'd like one that is spicy and one that isn't

I make a no-cook barbecue sauce, but it's all from taste, no measuring. The good point is that you can adjust the spiciness to your preference. It goes a little something like this: (All Measurements are guesses)

Ketchup - 1/4 C
Liquid smoke - 2 tsp
Worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp
White or Cider Vinegar - 1 tsp
Brown sugar or Honey - 2 tsp

The following added to taste:
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
Salt
Black Pepper
Cayenne pepper
Tabasco Sauce or Sirracha

It's not fancy, but it tastes better than bottled, and is cheaper

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Related dumb question: I have a regular generic classic meat thermometer that never seems to register a temperature as high as I expect... I follow cooking directions for steak, chicken, beef, whatever, and even cook for a little longer than instructed but still the temp never seems to look high enough on the thermometer even if the meat looks/tastes good. I think I do a good job of getting the thermometer right in the middle/thick part but I'm not sure. Do I need a better thermometer, need to cook more, or need to do a better job finding the right spot to get the correct temp? I have a feeling it's user error but maybe you guys can help.

If by regular meat thermometer you mean a thick spike and a large dial at the end which points to pictures of a cow or a chicken, generally nothing wrong with that, but two things; 1) Typically those larger units are made for roasts or whole birds as the large spike will put large holes in your food. 2) It's possible the elements in the thermometer are worn out and it's time for a new one. It happens.

You can get a digital probe thermometer for about $20 in most cooking supply stores. It will take a few seconds for it to register the temperature, but since you are just starting off that's probably going to be fine.

OTOH, if you want to get serious about cooking and you have the cash to burn, look into getting a thermapen. It costs about $100, but is very fast and very accurate.

TehKeen posted:

So I'm trying to make homemade tortilla chips from scratch. Does anyone have any advice on doing so? I'm waiting on my masa to finish resting before I cook the tortillas up and I'm planning on using this recipe, minus the seasonings ( :pauladeen: ) to do the actual frying of the chips unless anyone has a different suggestion.

The directions look fine to me, but if you are making the tortillas from scratch and fresh masa you want to make sure you are getting a uniform thickness. Her recipe is kind of cheating as she's just frying up store bought corn tortillas. You will probably need to cook yours for a few seconds longer since they are fresh.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm agreeing with scuz on this one. I've made a handful of Brown's recipes and they have all turned out very well, and were all well received.

What is it about his flavor profiles that sucks, FGR? Serious question.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, I can see how his stuff could be kind of one-note or bland. And yeah, his strong point is technique and the science behind it. He's like America's Test Kitchen with a sense of humor.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

xcdude24 posted:

Can anyone tell me how to do a plantains, beans, and rice recipe? Should I just fry up the plantains and add them to the beans and rice? This is a really dumb question, but I've never cooked with plantains before, and I'd rather not screw it up.

I'm assuming from your message that you want a meal that combines plantains with beans and rice, not a singular dish consisting of plantains mixed and cooked with beans and rice, correct?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Merou posted:

Can anyone recommend a book or website that gives relatively indepth information on how seasoning should work and such?

I think its time to admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing and just end up wasting my time wondering what I'm doing wrong. As long as it doesn't involve seasoning I can follow a recipe just fine, but when they start saying poo poo like add thyme I add some and I don't even know why or what its supposed to taste like if its done right or whats going on. The store could be selling me lawn clippings and I wouldn't know the difference.

Sometimes I get it, but it has to be really simple. Like a bit of salt sprinkled ontop of chocolate chip cookies. I get that. Seasoning a piece of meat I don't know what the gently caress is happening. The more seasoning the more confused I get.

I can't speak to books and websites, but what has been a big help to me is this: First, experimenting with various spices in different combinations. I have several staples that are always in my spice rack (Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Cayenne, Paprika, garlic powder, ginger, salt and pepper). One of the best things for me is to smell the herbs and spices and get a preview for what they smell like both alone and together. For this I'm very fortunate in that I have a spice shop just down the street from where I live. They have all of their spices in sealed packets for purchase, but they have sample jars filled with the spices so you can get a preview whiff before you buy.

My question to you though, if the recipe specifies a certain quantity of herb or spice, what's the problem? If a recipe calls for a Tablespoon of dried oregano, you put in a Tablespoon of Oregano. Done. If you're following a recipe, trust it to tell you how much of whatever to add and when. That's the point of a recipe. You can alter it if you like, but it's going to give you an acceptable product if you follow it (generally).

Unless you mean that when you're not using a recipe you don't know how to season foods. That's more understandable. Learning how to season from scratch is something that typically comes with time and experience. Salt and pepper go into or on almost everything; vegetables, meats, baked goods, sauces, eggs, batters...the list goes on. Other seasonings hit different notes, so you have to learn how they work together.

If you are completely clueless, give this a try:
Make a single batch of scrambled eggs (just 1 or 2 eggs) and put no seasoning on them what so ever.
Take a bite
Add some salt and pepper to a portion of the cooked eggs and taste that
Repeat with your other spices so you can get an idea of what these flavors taste like on their own. Also, you will quickly figure out how much is too much.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 10, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, when your cooking window for optimal serving time is 6-8 hours, there's going to be a bit of leeway.

Depends on what you are making, but stews, soups, and chili are all likely to be fine if you halve the recipe and cook for the full time.

If you are slow cooking a big cut of meat, or doing a braise, then a good thermometer would be a wise investment. But in general you will be fine.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

danafish posted:

Hello hello fine people of the forum -

I seldom contribute here out of combination shyness and a lack of a good camera that makes my food look appetizing, but I am an obsessive home cook and I spend hours poring through the recipe threads.

Just wondering - is there an ice cream thread anywhere on here at all? I have been getting full-on experimental with my frozen treats and am wondering if there's already a place to share recipes, discuss techniques and so on.

Thanks!

I don't think I've seen an Ice Cream thread here before, but with the temperature changing, I think starting one would be a good idea.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Golbez posted:

Speaking of which: Is there a cliffs notes on the differences between white, red, and yellow onions? Which are good for what situations?

Yellow onions are a general purpose onion, and fit into most recipes

White onions are milder and can be served raw or cooked, generally they benefit from a short cooking time (Stir Fry, Fajitas)

Red Onions are typically served raw and seem to have more bite to them. Not often used in hot applications.

Vidalia onions are 'sweet', and have a very mild flavor. Makes good onion rings.

EDIT: What a surprise. The internet doesn't agree on the general strengths of onions. You can use onions interchangeably for the most part, but red onions are typically used raw and to add color to a dish.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Chard posted:

Is there a way to tell just from looking how good a cucumber is? I got a couple from the store and they're woody almost all the way through; the seeds-and-juice bit is about as thin as a felt pen. Not very tasty.

Semi-related, what are some favorite vegetarian entrees? I can find recipes myself, but I've very recently given up meat and I'm finding it a bit difficult to get inspired now. Soups and salads are easy, I'm looking for solid lunch/dinner mains. Stodgy and Hearty, without relying on a ton of cheese.

From the last page, but bean burritos have become a recent favorite vegetarian meal of mine. Cheese level is completely up to you, and from there it's just a combination of whole and re-fried beans, jalapeno and other peppers and rice if you like.

I'm also partial to veggie stir fry on chow mein noodles.

As far as cucumbers go, you can't tell by looking (that I know of), but they should feel heavy and have a little give under mild pressure, like most watery produce.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Koskinator posted:

I want to make a bunch of shredded chicken to blend with a sauce and use as a filling for burritos.

How do I turn a bunch of raw chicken thighs into cooked shredded goodness?

The short version would be to simmer in a flavorful sauce until tender, which could mean a couple hours in an oven. I'll see if I can dig up one of the recipes I have for making shredded chicken for tacos. A little rearranging and it would probably be good for burritos.

That being said, maybe I'm weird, but for pulled applications I kind of have to question thighs. I guess you could pull the skin off first, and then slow cook them for a while, but I thought this was one of those few good uses for boneless breast... v :( v

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I've had some udon noodles that were gifted to me, and I want to cook them up in a soup, but I haven't found any recipes that sound very good.

Does anyone have any good udon soup recipes, preferably for cold versions?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

I'm gonna make a cream based soup today (cheesesteak soup) and I was wondering what I should do with the meat. I got 3/4lb of ribeye, and I was planning on dicing it. Should I cook it first before putting it into the soup, or should I slice it thinly and let it cook within the soup?

Hope that you get to see this in time

I think dicing the meat will be acceptable, since while traditional cheese-steak meat is very thin, I wouldn't want to eat a soup full of "beef noodles". Maybe comparatively thicker slices in bite size would be best.

And definitely cook it before hand. I don't think rare beef in a cream soup sounds very appetizing. In a noodle bowl though, hell yeah.

An observer posted:

I'm brining and roasting a chicken tomorrow for the first time on my own. Anyone have tips?

Don't brine it for too long. I'd say any more than 3 hours for a chicken would be too much.

Do you have a recipe in mind or are you going in totally blind? If you don't have anything in mind, try going for simple salt and pepper rubbed under the skin. If you want something a little more advanced, try making a compound butter and rub that under the skin. Or thin slices of lemon.

As far as roasting goes, you want to start off in a hot oven to crisp up the skin first, and then roast it at a lower temperature. Unfortunately, I'm not very good when it comes to recalling times and temps for things like this. Let me see what I can find for you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

Thanks; I guess there's no One True Chicken and Waffle condiment. I'll experiment with both gravies and syrups -I just hope to god that I don't get any syrup on the fried chicken by accident because that's just terrible when it happens with sausage or bacon except not really.

Also make brownies in it.

I...Uh.

Buh

Godamnit. Now I have to go out and get a waffle iron for the express purpose of making brownies in it. Wife will not be pleased about that.

In all seriousness, that sounds like a genius idea, especially topped with good vanilla ice cream so it fills all the little crispy holes with half melted goodness.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

My local hobby shop will sharpen kitchen knives for what appears to be a reasonable amount (couple bucks per knife). Is this worth it as I don't have a good sharpener at home and I haven't picked up a stone yet?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'm looking for a cheese ravioli filling recipe. In my head it goes a little something like this:

Ricotta
Grated parmesean
salt
pepper
roasted garlic
egg for binder
parsley

Is there anything that I've omitted that would really make these better, or is there anything that I should remove?

EDIT:VVV Allergic to lobster (all shellfish):(. Thanks to everyone who chimed in

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 21, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Micomicona posted:

So I have come into a pasta machine and have as a result fallen in love with fresh, homemade pasta. However, making fresh pasta every few days is more work than I have time for. is there a/what is the best way to preserve it? I've read about forming it into "nests" and freezing it; but when I recooked them they were all stuck together lumpy tangles. Is there a way to dry it out and make it shelf-stable? Would this work with a dough recipe with eggs? Or, barring that, what am I loving up in the freezing process?

Secondary question: any good, simple, vegetarian slow cooker recipes? As it turns out, any dry bean on 'low' in water for 10 hours turns out silky and delicious, but I want to broaden our horizons from plain beans.

I just started making/freezing fresh pasta myself and haven't run into any problems yet. How long are you letting the cut pasta rest before you freeze it? I let mine air dry in a single layer for maybe 15 minutes, then bag and freeze. It dries just enough that the noodles don't stick too badly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

So there's no reason why the speed/heat/whatever a regular blender uses would affect the mayonnaise, just the rate of oil addition?

If your blender is getting so hot that it is cooking your eggs in the time between turning it on, pouring in the oil, blending, and turning it off (shouldn't be a very long time at all), then your blender is running way too hot.

On a related note, how long will homemade mayo keep? I tried making a small batch myself not too long ago, was not impressed with the results, but because I was trying to make a half batch I think the ratios didn't work out. I also don't go through mayo very quickly as it is.

And unrelated, I made ravioli for the first time last night. They turned out pretty good, but I may have rolled the pasta out too thin. I could clearly read a newspaper through the sheets of dough. They held together fine through the cooking process, but when I went to strain them out they broke apart from hitting the colander. Should I just fish them out of the pot next time? (I have about 1 pound frozen and ready to cook left over)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

On the tipping thing, since you are coming in on vacation and whatnot, please also be sure to tip your taxi drivers. I tried for about 10% when I was last in Vegas

As Turkeybone said, don't tip blindly and don't reward bad behavior.

If my food comes to the table cold, or underdone or tastes bad, that's not the waitstaff's fault. I will ask them to do what they can to repair the problem though, and if the problem is fixed, I will tip better than normal.

If the service is bad, (rude waitstaff is probably the biggest) the tip gets shrunk. If I'm really feeling like a dick I'd give it all in coins. Preferably Canadian pennies.

I have heard that it's best to give tips in cash whenever possible as the establishment can screw the waitstaff over if it is done via credit. Don't recall the specifics.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Good News Everyone posted:

I have a question regarding cakes, but also storage/spoilage. I have a big party planned this Saturday, and want to make a rainbow cake in layers (red layer, buttercream, yellow layer, and so on) but the only time I have to make it is tomorrow.

If I froze the layers (unfrosted), would they defrost well? Does defrosted cake come out gross and soggy? If I do freeze/defrost, should I defrost the cake in the fridge or the open air?

Also, does anyone have a decent/failsafe vanilla cake recipe? Nothing fancy, but I don't want to use gross boxed crapola.

Thanks!

You might have better luck checking in on the cake thread here. There's a lot of friendly bakers in there and they would probably have some good tips for you. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3002878

EDIT:VVVVV If you use bad wine (or any ingredient for that matter) in your cooking, it will come through in your final result. If you don't like drinking wine, don't waste extra money on anything fancy for cooking, but use something that has good flavor.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 17, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

cereal eater posted:

Made a double batch of red beans and rice today, eyed out the hot sauce additions and put in too much. I googled how to decrease spice, and I think adding some shredded Mexican cheese will help a bit - any other advice please?

How much did you over do it by? A teaspoon or two? A quarter cup? Has it come to the point where it is inedible due to the spice level?

Did you cook all of your rice that you had on hand? If not, you can maybe cook up a little bit more and mix it in to the main batch, which should spread the heat around a little bit. Same with beans, if you have some left over, cook them up and add them in.

Otherwise cheese will help mellow it out, you can serve it with a little sour cream on the side to ease the burning.

If it is to the point however where it can't even be eaten, there's not a hell of a lot you can do.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

What is the best way to store baked goods? I make biscuits and scones and muffins and the like, but every time I try to store them the get a gummy texture to them and lose some of their appeal.

I have tried plastic wrap, tupperware, foil and ziploc bags, all have this same issue? How can I store these items to keep them at their best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Have a question about freezing bechamel/cheese sauce: Should I even bother? Will it remain stable and not get too grainy when reheated? Or should I just make small batches and use up what I make at that time?