Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I'm making a cake for my Mother in Laws birthday on Saturday and wanted to try a new recipe. It calls for Root Beer flavouring but I can't find it anywhere, I have 2 places left to try but if I can't find it what should I use?

I have some root beer candies could I just put them in vodka and use that? Will the alcohol cook off, as she doesn't like the taste of alcohol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
Sorry I should have gave more details. I knew that vanilla extract was vanilla beans and alcohol so that's why I asked.

Here is the recipe:
3/4 cup butter
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon root beer flavouring
1 1/4 cup of root beer

1) Allow butter and eggs to come to room temperature. Pre heat oven to 350F Grease a 19x9x2 inch pan. In a medium bowl stir together flour,baking powder, and salt

2) In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined. Scrape side of bowl; beat for 2 minutes more. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in root beer flavouring. Alternately add flour mixture and root beer to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined (batter might appear slightly curdled) Pour into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.

3) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Frost with float frosting. Cut into 16 pieces. Tightly cover cake in pan and chill overnight.

Frosting:

Allow 1/4 cups butter to stand at room temperature for 30 mins. Allow 3/4 cup vanilla ice cream to stand at room temperature for 10 mins. In large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Beat 1/2 cup of ice cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Gradually beat in 4 cups powdered sugar until combined. If necessary stir in additional ice cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, to make frosting of spreading consistency. Makes 2 1/4 cups.

I'm in Vancouver BC, I have tried all the grocery stores and Walmart and no one has the flavouring. I have root beer candies that I have made root beer vodka with before to drink and it works. It doesn't taste like cough syrup. We have used 6 candies to 3/4 ounce of vodka and we only need a tablespoon.

As for my MIL she is cool with the idea, she tries stuff out on us all the time. Last year I tried a new recipe out too. I've already talked about the idea to her and she is very curious about the cake. Every time we see her for a meal we each try something new. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they suck! We always laugh!

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
Just an update, the Root Beer cake was a big hit! The cake was a lot denser than I thought it would be, the icing didn't taste ice creamy enough for me but other than that it was good. The MIL loved it!

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I am going to be making pulled pork in my slow cooker tomorrow. The shoulder we got to do it has a lot of fat on it, it's almost fully encased in fat. Should we trim some of the fat off or leave it all on? We use the juice to make BBQ sauce so less fat means less skimming but I don't want to ruin it.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I just bought 3lbs of coffee and I have heard conflicting ideas on how to store it. I have always kept it in the freezer, but I have read that you shouldn't do that. What is the right way to keep it fresh? 2lbs are whole and 1lb is ground if that makes a difference.

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
So I want to make biscuits and I have the recipe for Cheddar Bay biscuits but I only have skim milk will this work?

2 ½ cups Bisquick baking mix

¾ cup cold whole milk

4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese

Bush on Top:

2 tablespoons butter, melted

¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes

½ teaspoon garlic powder

pinch salt

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
My grandmother loves Lemon Earl Grey shortbread cookies and is requesting them often now... We first bought her some from a local store but they seem to be out of stock. Does anyone have a reliable yummy recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
Can I make shortbread and gingerbread dough and freeze it? Both recipes call for refrigerating the dough. I want to make the dough next week and then bake it closer to Christmas