Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
A lot of recipes for soups and other water-cooked foods say "boil, then reduce to a simmer". I can sort of see why it might be important for recipes where you boil, then add ingredients, then simmer. That way adding everything reduces the water to the proper temp. But why do some recipes say "add ingredients, boil, simmer"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
I like to exercise before my classes, which means I don't eat breakfast before I head out. I also live far enough from campus that it's too much of a hassle to get back from the gym, eat breakfast, and head back. This means bringing a lot of easily transportable food that's good at room temperature. Breakfast sandwiches, fruit, etc.

Yesterday a friend dumped a shitload of quick oats on me. Probably 3-4 pounds. The reason was "so you can make cookies", but there's no way in hell I'll be able to burn through all of them. So I was thinking of trying to make some kind of oatmeal biscuit or cake or something that I can easily store and eat for breakfast. Where would be a good place to start? My plan was to just mix some with water and salt and spices and bake, but something tells me I'm missing something really important here.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

Averrences posted:

This might be really basic for a thread like this, but what do you really ensure that you have in your fridge for every week? (besides like milk, eggs, butter and bread) I've found that I only really have enough to make just pasta and a basic tomato sauce for evening meals, but doing that every single day with no vegetables is likely to gently caress me up in the long run.

Onions, garlic, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. All are very, very useful in a wide variety of dishes and last a long time. You don't have to refrigerate any of them, either, which saves on space. Broccoli and spinach are also really nice things to have if they're cheap where you live. I also like having zucchini and yellow squash, but don't buy either very often.

One of the cheapest ways to eat a lot of healthy, delicious food is soups. Carrots and celery work really well in them, so make sure you have some of each. Also stock up on lentils and beans, which are both good soup bases and have a lot of other uses.

In the end the question boils down to this: what vegetables do you like? Buy those and learn to cook them. Most of them are actually really easy; pretty much any vegetable can be cooked by putting it above a little boiling water, dropping it in a lot of boiling water, dumping it on a skillet, or shoving it in the oven. As you get better at putting/dropping/dumping/shoving you'll learn how to best cook each vegetable and what works well for you.

As for cookbooks, I'd second How to Cook Everything. That's how I learned how to cook. It emphasizes simplicity and flexibility and actively encourages messing with the recipes. It's a lot of fun.

Not The Wendigo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 25, 2011

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
I'm braising something in yogurt and, to the surprise of absolutely no one but me, the yogurt broke down into liquid. Tasty, but it's got a bad grainy texture. I was thinking of whisking everything then stirring some cornstarch into the crockpot. Would this work? Should I wait until everything is cooked before trying to sauceify the braising liquid? Is there a better way of fixing this? Thanks!

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

PretentiousFood posted:

Cornstarch would definitely help, and it would be best to wait. Keep the heat as low as you can until then. When you're ready, make a cornstarch slurry with a bit of cream, and add it to the sauce. Use a stick blender if you can.

This worked beautifully. Thank you!