Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
When making stock, is there such a thing as boiling the stock for too long? For example, do unpleasant flavours develop after more than say 6 hours?

Second, all stock recipes advise to only simmer the stock. I'm making stock from bones with only some meat on them and I'll discard any solids anyway when I'm done, so could I keep it at a boil for the entire time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Okay, so I got 10lbs of carrots to eat all on my own and I'm trying to think of interesting ways of preparing them.

So far I got:

Carrot soup
Carrot fritters
Carrot cake
Steamed/sauteed/stir fried
Raw

Did I miss anything? Recipe suggestions are also welcome.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
A few nights back I made my first attempt at pulled pork and I found that there was some room for improvement.

The most glaring issue was that I felt like I was going to dislocate an elbow pulling the meat apart. The meat was tender enough to chew but didn't come apart as easily as I feel it should, judging from pictures I saw.
There was also a lot of unrendered fat/wobbly bits.

I used a bone-in picnic roast, fairly small - maybe 2,5 lbs that I roasted until it was about 170-180° F inside, which is low according to some recipes and high to others. Oven temp was roughly 300 F at first, which I cut to 200 F quickly because the internal temperature was rising very fast. Total cooking time was around 5 hours I think.

I think some relevant factors were that I tried to pull it without a rest period, the relatively low final temperature and the short cooking time.

What I don't understand about the cooking process is that all the recipes describe it like a slow roast: Low oven and lots of time, pulling it at a certain temp. Couldn't I just let it come to maybe 175° and keep it there for 5-6 hours, sort of like a "dry braise"?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Mach420 posted:

Another vote for undercooked pulled pork. Slicing temperature is about 170F. Pulling temperature is anywhere from 190 to 200F. You need that time and temperature to let the tough collagens convert into yummy moist gelatin and for the fat to render out.

Pulled pork is done when the roast starts to fall apart in your hands or when you stick a fork into it and twist. Undercooked, the meat will be pretty solid, hard, possibly dry, and resist pulling. Overcooked, like at 210-215F, the meat will still fall apart easily, but it will be incredibly dry.

I just made one yesterday on my smoker, and the difference in feel between undercooked and perfect when you stick a fork in it and twist is huge.

Check out this guy's pulled pork. That's what the butt should feel like when it's done. Falling apart. Forget cooking by time. It's done when it's done, so trust your fork, not the timer. Keep your oven around 225 to 250F the whole time for the best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWh4a4s20A4&feature=youtu.be&t=13m34s

Thanks for your advice, all of you! :) I'll try again and report back.

Unrelated, but why can there be a PYF spice you hate thread but no offtopic thread?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Got a nice chicken to roast (and two bags of chicken bones to make stock, booya!), but I forgot to get butcher's twine to truss the chicken.

I got a roll of clean "household" cotton twine, but I'm afraid it might not stand up to the temperature and burn. Would soaking it in water for a while help?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I'm trying to clean the metal grease filters in my kitchen's vent hood. It's a student house so I assume I'm the first person trying to do that in a couple of years.

The things are completely gummed up. I put them in the dishwasher and that seemed to help a bit, but there's still a lot of gummed up grease.

What could help? Oven spray? Soaking them in detergent for a day or so?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I made a cup of mayo following this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

It says it keeps for up to 2 weeks, butI put some chopped pickles, onion and herbs in it to make a sort of remoulade sauce. Does that make a difference?

Also, at first it didn't come together at all, it was just... eggy fat-soup. Some comments suggested adding the egg white and voila it instantly emulsified. How come?

PS a big thanks to dino. for his cleaning tips, kitchen never looked this good :)

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Probably putting them into ice water after the boil (which should be very brief) before they go into the wok/pan. This stops the cooking process and gives you more time to get some aromas from the stir frying before the broccoli goes mushy.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
What can I expect to happen when, ceteris paribus, I increase the amount of mashed banana in banana bread batter? Higher density? If yes, is there's a way to avoid this? It doesn't have to be super fluffy, but it shouldn't be rubbery.

Basically I'm looking for the bananiest banana bread and I have a lot of bananas in the freezer to use up.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Geburan posted:

3. Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir reduced liquid into bananas, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

:getin:

Thanks, that looks really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
So I bought a bunch of meat at the market and I now have to figure out how to best store it in fridge and freezer without access to a vacuum sealer.

I got:

2kg pork shoulder
2kg ribeye
3kg beef short ribs

All of it is vacuum packed. The pork and ribeye in the sort of 'loose' way where you can see the juices of the meat, whereas the short rib is super tightly packed in a thick vacuum bag.

Use by dates are well ahead (up to first of July for the short rib) due to the vacuum packing, but they take up a lot of space in the fridge and I want to keep the quality as high as possible.

For the pork and ribeye I was going to open the vacuum bag when cooking it for the first time, sometime this week for both. After using what I need, I'd portion out steaks, individually wrap in cling film, then put into ziplocks. This has worked well for me before.

With the short rib, I'm at a bit of a loss as I've never had it before. I was thinking to try the cling film & ziploc bag method as well, including pushing the air out by immersing the bag.

Any insight is appreciated! :)