Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You need to buy less lovely pans, i.e. not 50 cent pans.

Buy this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/96225800/

$3 nonstick pan that won't warp on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I am going to be in Edinburgh today for a conference at the Hotel Missoni. Where should I eat for lunch and dinner? I'm up for anything, but preferably not Indian or Chinese as there is enough of that in Glasgow.

Budget: £40 or less per meal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

I am going to be in Edinburgh today for a conference at the Hotel Missoni. Where should I eat for lunch and dinner? I'm up for anything, but preferably not Indian or Chinese as there is enough of that in Glasgow.

Budget: £40 or less per meal.
Sciencetastic hooked me the gently caress up:
Lobster Thermidor at Ondine, Edinburgh:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

dino. posted:

This is the exact problem I have with butternut squash. I used to love it as a kid, because it was starchy and savoury, with a VERY mild back note of sweetness. Every time I bite into a bit of butternut nowadays, it's a ball of disappointment and pain, because it's so loving sweet. I never liked sweet things, even as a kid, so I know it's not just me. And now that you mention your squick about peas, I feel like I've found a kindred spirit who feels my pain. MAINS SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE AFTERS. Ugh.

If it helps any, I've found that edamame is a decent substitute for peas. They're quite lovely, and only very mildly sweet in comparison to peas. I still enjoy peas, but only when steamed lightly, tossed in oil and salt, and roasted in the oven. The caramelly taste seems to offset the choking sweetness.
If this means you don't like jaleybi and ras malai and gulab jaman and gajat ka halwa, we are going to have a disagreement.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Toss that meat, next time use an alarm clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I like turtles posted:

I want copious amounts of nice and spicy Indian (at least, style) food. I've utterly goddamn butchered all of my past attempts.
What style of dish should I look up? I'd like something spicy, ideally something without a million different things to buy in order to make it, and something that a three year old would have a decent chance of preparing satisfactorily. Because I feel like that's about where I am when it comes to Indian or Indian style food. I'll probably put chicken in it.

Is Dino's book a good beginner level "this is Indian food that happens to be vegan" option?

I one day hope to live next to an old Indian/Greek/Italian/Spanish/Etc lady whose hobby is cooking amazing goddamn food for her neighbors, so that I can learn from her and also eat her food. I'll clean her gutters and buy her ingredients or something.

Nihari is my favourite thing. It's not too difficult.

This looks like a pretty decent recipe for it:
http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/nihari.php