Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

squigadoo posted:

Pricing Stuff

I know I'm a few days late on this, but another good tip when looking for food on the cheap, is to shop around for your produce. Don't just go to your local Safeway-alike. Look for ethnic markets and produce stands - you can often find better quality fruits and veggies for cheap than they'll be at the supermarket, but you do need to look around and try out different stores to see what's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Feenix posted:

Help, you glorious bastards! I am in Paris on my honeymoon and so far we have had fairly good meals at little bar/cafes, but before we leave I'd love to eat at a really fantastique French restaurant.

It doesn't have to be 4 star Michelin. In fact I'd prefer something we didn't stress over reservations and hundred-euro price tags.

Any good recomms?

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I can recommend a couple of places I ate at last time I was there, about 4 years ago - both near the Latin Quarter.

1) The Royal Luxembourg, just east of the Jardin du Luxembourg, on Rue Gay-Lussac right near where it hits Bd. Saint-Michel. This is more of a cafe than a restaurant but we had a really good meal here of classic French cuisine. Added bonus of being next to the Jardin which is a must-see.

2) Chez Lena et Mimile, deeper in the Quarter at the corner of Rue Tournefort and Rue Pierre Brossolette. I seem to recall getting a pretty good creme brûlée here, and there are a lot of cool little shops to check out in the area. I'm sure this is not the best place in its area, but it's pretty decent.

Man, now I want to go back to Paris. To be honest, my favorite food there was just the brasseries and crepe stands that you could find everywhere. Enjoy your trip!

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Grand Fromage that duck looks loving fantastic. How long did you cook it for?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Anybody have a good recipe for barbacoa? I've got an eye round roast and a slow cooker, I figure that should be a start.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Got a question. At my amish market they sell bone-in prime rib steaks (which are seriously delicious) and also prime rib roast which basically looks like a pile of said steaks that are still connected. The roast is a dollar cheaper per pound. If I were to buy the roast, what would I need to do in order to separate it into steaks? Would I need any special tools?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

My wife and I often put some chunks of chevre in with the mozzarella and boy oh boy is it ever delicious.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Looking for a couple of book recommendations:
a) I'd love a really good reference for Greek food in general.
b) Does anybody know of a good recipe book focusing on salads? I feel like the salads I make are a bit samey and I'd like some new ideas.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Hey, somebody remind me what's the proper internal temp for roasting a chicken?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Thank ya :)

Funktor
May 17, 2009

I'd like to make corn tortillas tonight, but in my house I've got a bag of corn flour and a little bit of corn meal. No masa harina. Would an equal mixture of the corn flour and corn meal do okay as a substitute?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

No, American, it's actually corn flour. Is my best bet just corn flour + water and skip the corn meal?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Trip report: cornflour doesn't make tortillas - didn't form enough gluten to hold in a shape. So I made delicious normal flour tortillas instead!

Funktor
May 17, 2009

I've got a 7.5 lb bone-in raw ham to cook for tonight. I don't cook ham very often, so I thought I'd run my plans by you guys. We're on a low-carb diet so glaze is out, I was thinking a rub with s+p, mustard. If I understand correctly, I want to cook it at an oven temp of 325 F to an internal temp of 150-155ish, target temp is 160 after resting? Does anybody know about how long I should budget for it? I'd like to time it for when my wife gets home in the evening.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Anybody have a good recipe for Detroit-style pizza? (Think Buddy's or Louie's)

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Looking for ideas for a good, relatively low effort potluck dish that has to be prepared the night before and can be enjoyed without reheating.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

OK, I am about to type a sentence that is new to the English language:

How do I clean cat pee out of a cast-iron pan?

I will explain: my toddler closed the door to the basement where the litterbox is, and instead of meowing or something, my geriatric cat calmly walked over to the stove and peed in the cast-iron pan in protest.

Now, being a good cast-iron pan owner, how do I balance proper care and feeding of the pan (i.e. thou shalt not touch thy pan with soap) with proper hygiene (i.e. ew ew ew get it off get it off)? Do I have to just scrub the living poo poo out of it with soap and steel wool and the whole nine yards, and then re-temper the pan with the oil and the oven and so on?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Scrub it but don't stress too much about the seasoning. The old adage of not washing with soap is based on the days when soap was made with lye. You should probably be washing it with soap every time. At least, it won't hurt anything to do so.

I thought the worry was that the (porous) iron could absorb soap flavor?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Good point. I'll pick up SOS pads tomorrow and get to work.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

So what do I need to know in order to make Pho at home? What's some good general ideas or a good recipe?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

I had a friend ask me this question and I figured you folks would know the answer:

Air fryers. What are they? What are they good for? Are they any good / worth it? Recipes / Recommendations?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good cookbook or three for tasty and healthy vegetarian / vegan dishes? Who is the Julia Child of vegans?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

pile of brown posted:

My favorite thing to do with miso is take about a cup of it and put it in a small saute pan, and smooth it out. Then I drizzle w canola oil and put in convection at 450 for 10-15 minutes until the surface is thoroughly charred. Then it goes into a Vitamix w 12 egg yolks and 2 cups of sugar and blended until smooth. Whisk into a half gallon of cream.

Then make ice cream.

This read was a wild ride.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

My toddler just came up with an idea that intrigued me: Watermelon Pie with Watermelon Frosting and Broccoli Ice Cream. Could any of that actually work? How would you do it?

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Mongoose posted:

Why not try to make broccoli ice cream? There are plenty of good veggie ice creams at fancy shops like beet root, rhubarb and uhhh all the others. Sugar and cream are the main components and your tastebuds / dopamine rush won't discriminate. Besides, broccoli and pistachio basically have the same flavor profile right? Your biggest enemy will be overcooked sulfur smells.

I'd probably blanch or steam some broccoli and chill it in an ice bath to minimize any stink, then get raw almond slivers and add half raw and half toasted. Food process or blend it and add some acid (lemon juice? acidic creams? I don't know) and keep cold to keep stink formation low. Then use that and make ice cream.

I was kind of thinking go the other way. gently caress it. Roast that broccoli with olive oil and s&p so it's all fuckin' delicious then mash that poo poo up, add cream and whatnot, throw that fucker in the ice cream maker and see what happens.

...What happens is you probably toss that poo poo in the trash.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Tell me about yogurt. My wife and I would like to do some yogurt making. We want fruit-blended, full-fat yogurt with no added sugar. Is that accomplishable? If so, how? And can we freeze it into frozen yogurt?

Also, my wife hates Greek-style yogurt to make things difficult.

We do have an Insta-Pot.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, no, no, this somewhat defeats the purpose of making fresh yogurt. You want to stir in the fruit/jam/what have you when you serve it!

In a vacuum, sure, but we are busy folk with careers and small kids and only enough time to do serious cooking like once a week. Yogurt is a staple food for us and very much needs to be a grab-on-the-go kind of thing once it's been made. This is more about being able to create the things we like without all the terrible additives you get in the store (read: loads of sugar) rather than an optimal flavor thing. Although flavor is certainly nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

effika posted:

I meal prep my yogurt for the week. Mason jar (or what have you), add yogurt first, add fruit and fixings, screw on lid, stick in fridge for a week. Quality is fine for every fruit combo I've tried so far by the end of the week, but granola gets a little soft after day 2.

Come see us in the Pressure Cooker thread if you need help making the yogurt! We just talked about that, actually.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I didn't mean put the fruit in during the making of the yogurt, I'm more interested in blending it in after. Can that be done with just like a standard Ninja or something?