Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Jose posted:

Odd question for GWS and please don't hate me for it. I don't eat any fish. I can't stand the smell of it and that gets into the taste so I don't eat it. Having said that, I have tried quite a few different kinds of fish in the last 10 years or so. Shark thigh, self caught trout and salmon. Same gag reaction from all of them.

What I want to know is if I'd experience this with sushi? Part of why I hate the smell of fish is the smell of it cooking. I have never eaten sushi and decided to wait until I can try some from somewhere high quality. Am I making a mistake here and will just end up wasting money and should try one of those crappy supermarket sushi lunch boxes?
I dont enjoy most fish or shell fish. Partly taste but mostly texture. I'll eat it if it's impolite not to but with no pleasure. Oddly i love sashimi, especially firm white fishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any ideas what to do with ~2.3 pounds of pork top loin? I've tried slow cooking it, and braising it, but both of those it didn't have enough fat content to remain moist. Oven baked with a heavy seasoning rub worked out nicely, but there was very little flavor penetration towards the center of the meat.
Make a sauce using the pan drippings. Either deglaze with white white or french cider, reduce & hit with stock, reduce then separate off the fats OR make a trad style gravy with flour & the fat in the pan to make a roux, thin out with some stock or water, maybe a little wine...

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Jose posted:

So, I love spicy food. Indian, what Mexican I've had, what Thai I've had. What other countries is spicy food a standard thing?

Sichuan & Hunan in china, most of south east asia.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The thing with pho is that it's not very cost effective to make at home because of how cheap giant bowls of it are in restaurants. On top of it, it's just never quite as good as restaurants, no matter what you do. Sure, it's very tasty to make at home, but given those two factors I rarely make it myself. Of course, it you live 30 miles from your nearest Viet restaurant, then go for it. It's fun and tasty regardless.

Here's the recipe I've used: http://worthhersalt.com/archives/94
The spices in the broth are very important, use star anise, cinnamon and cloves for sure. Some recipes add others. Also key is to char the onions. Use plenty of beef soup bones, and simmer the stock all day. If it doesn't really taste right when you're almost ready to eat, try adding more fish sauce.

Also black cardamom & corriander seeds. You can buy packs of 'beef soup herbs' in most asian markets. It's not cinnamon either btw, it's vietnamese (or saigon) cassia.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

Google insists on giving me pumpkin pie and eight thousand variations thereof, anyone here have ideas for unconventional pumpkin dishes?

Edit: I hunted down a few ICSA 14 threads from 2006, and I think I'm making Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry. Seems just crazy enough for me, and I'm pretty comfortable with making curries.

Since you're still around, got any tips for me Wiggles? Or any of the pictures since Waffleimages is long dead?

I'd sweat down some onions, fry the pumpkin (and some (sweet?) potatoes a bit & add a marsalla of tumeric, curry leaves, ground coriander, ground ginger, a cinnamon quill, cloves & cumin. Maybe fennel leaves &/or seeds. Add some vege stock & simmer until it's thick. Add some cocconut cream or some cashew butter at the end to give it a really rich mouthfeel. Play up to the sweetness of the onions & pumpkin with the spices you use. Add chilli for heat as required & maybe make a very astringent mango chutney to taste at service.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Chard posted:

Cool, thanks. I wouldn't trust Bailey's because of my paranoia about spoiled dairy, but it's good to know that Midori or whatever (20%) will be OK longer term.
Those suntory flouro things will last forever because of the alcohol but also because of the insane amount of sugars.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
A load of ti punch.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Black vinegar, chili oil 1:2 ratio you can add soy sauce and/or sugar to taste. Maybe grate in some fresh ginger or garlic.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

zanmatto posted:

Quick question. I know that there are certain types of premium beef, such as Kobe beef or other various high end beefs. However, I have never heard of such a thing as a "kobe" equivilant for something like chicken. Is there such a thing as a very high end chicken, or is it all pretty much the same?

There are small breed chickens used for meat or eggs or show. There are also 'organic' chickens, grain or corn fed chicken from major producers.
Short answer, yes although not in the sense of one style of raising a particular breed acquiring a world wide foodie cachet.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

Scrape up the pan, pass the juices through a sieve, then thicken if you like?

I suppose there's two ways you can go about it, either you make a flour-based gravy or a cream-based one.

For the former you could make a light, brown roux of butter and flour, then add the pan juices to it and adjust seasoning. For the latter, just add some whipping cream to the juices and simmer for a while to let it thicken. Suggestions for variations might be some fried, sliced mushrooms, a splash of sherry or port, and/or herbs like snipped chives, tarragon, thyme or rosemary. Just adapt to what you have on hand.

Depending on how much fat renders out of the chicken i'd inclined to separate it from the pan juices, use it in place of the butter. If you want a buttery gloss whisk some in just before serving. You could also add a little white wine & lemon juice if you want to go a little lighter.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Pester posted:

I have a couple of new york strip steaks that I'm about to pan sear. Do I trim the fat before cooking them, after, or not at all?

Might be a late answer but put them fat side down for 30-40 seconds to render out some fat & let the remainder go crispy.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I've got a bunch of pork spareribs I need to use up. I'm a little bbq'd out, and I'd like something that I can throw in the crockpot all day on Sunday while I wrench on cars. Any ideas?

Foil packet in the oven with honey, minced garlic & ginger, a splash of dark soy sauce, some fresh red chilli & shao hsing wing. Fermented black beans too if you've got them.
Steam in the oven for a few hours then finish them under the griller (salamander/whatever it's called in the us).
Rice + stir fried greens.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

casual poster posted:

Is it cool if I add beef broth in addition to water, into my crock pot while making pulled pork? This recipe (http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq-pulled-pork-recipe-for-under-15-easy-and-frugal/) doesn't call for it, but last time I made a meal like this I used it and it came out tasting great.

It's never a bad thing to add stock, broth or booze to any braised meat. I wouldn't add water at all.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Help. What kind of wine does one use for cooking a leg of lamb or while eating some. I realize vague but that's all I got.
I'd use an italian white like vermantino for drinkning, and some in a gravy with rosemary, roasted garlic & lemon zest after roasting the lamb.
A lighter red would do well too though, rioja etc.
TBH lamb is pretty forgiving, stay away from super oaky whites or very high tannin reds and you'll be set

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Among other things, this year my wonderful girlfriend stuffed my stocking with a gram of whole saffron! What would be the best way to use this rare spice? I'd love to use it in something like a bouillabaisse, but living in Pittsburgh and being poor, I don't really have ready access to good seafood.

Make a really nice saffron risotto, the giorgio locatelli one is excellent.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cyberia posted:

The ingredients list calls for '500g skinless redfish fillets, bones removed, roughly chopped'. What would be the best 'redfish' to get for this dish?

Snapper is the go here.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Meeper posted:

I'm grilling marinated kangaroo for Australia Day this Thursday. My marinade is a fairly standard soy/sugar/oil/lime juice affair, and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have any negative effect from marinating for about 20 hours rather than my standard hour, keeping in mind that the marinade has a quarter cup of lime juice in it and I'd rather not make kangaroo ceviche?

What cut is it? For fillet i wouldn't bother for that long. For leg or rump Treat it as you might venison, it's super lean - between 2-3% so it'll need a fair bit of oil or other meat fat & should be sealed on all sides. I've given it an overnight soak in red wine & currant jelly before roasting. Then serving with cumberland sauce.

Yours sounds good for a fillet, seared to rare, rested & sliced. Maybe a thai dressing intended for beef would make a good sauce/dressing for a salad served under it.
Something like roasted rice powder, roasted chilli powder, mint, shallot, coriander, sugar & fish sauce.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't buy one of each, because they pack them at the grocery, but here's one item from the haul.

What is that, and how do I cook it?

EDIT: what should I do with enoki mushrooms?

I mince some garlic, a little ginger & small red chilis, maybe a shallot & mix with minced pork. Stuff the melon with it then cook for an hour or so in water* with a splash of soy sauce & fish sauce in it. Serve over rice.

* or even better some chicken stock.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

That sounds a lot like Rellenong Ampalaya, a Filipino stuffed bittermelon dish. Good stuff.

The Thai chefs at work & my Viet almost-mother-in-law both make it with just the garlic, I assume it's a comfort food for them but I'd rather ramp up the flavour a bit.
Is the Filipino one hot-ish?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

It's always possible the produce guy at my local grocery is an idiot poorly-informed. :v:

In Australia at least, spring onions/green onions/scallions are also called shallots. Are we talking long green things or little brown/yellow/purple bulb onion things?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

clarified butter :smug: :btroll:
Goose fat.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

We don't have crisco either. :( I swear I saw a recipe here once for decent no-lard carnitas but I can't find it.

In Australia we use Copha, a solidified coconut oil. Very similar to shortening. I live across the road from a korean groccer, i'm pretty sure i've seen hydrogenised soy bean and /or palm oil in the before.
Why not just buy some pork fat from the belly, or some skin with fat on and render the lard from there?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

scuz posted:

Bought frozen, rendered duck fat on a whim a while back and I think I should use it or something. I'm having a hard time coming up with things that aren't weird or just "potatoes and duck fat". The weird ideas are tortillas, savory pie crust, savory cookies (what?), sausages (I don't have a meat grinder), or just using it in place of butter when frying eggs etc.
I like to (shallow) fry steak or chicken in it or pork milanese or potato schupfnudeln.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Does Marmite (or Vegemite, for that matter) go bad?

I just noticed a jar in the back of my cupboard that I bought back in... 2010 or so? I dunno. :iiam:

Which one is it? Either way, as long it's not really dried out (some crystallisation is okay) it's fine, yeast, sugar and heaps of salt mean either will last - or so i'm told, neither last in my house.

IIRC there was a thing about marmite being sterile on the internet a few years back, i'm sure google will let you know.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

An observer posted:

Yesterday I went to a french-cambodian restaurant. I had something called crevettes amrita. It was some kinda sweet curry—to quote, "Natural shrimp sautéed in a lightly sweet and spicy Cambodian satay sauce with coriander, cumin, cardamom, galangal, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass; with button mushroom, red bell pepper, onion and scallion". I thought it was pretty good but can't find recipes online. Anyone know of a similar dish?

coriander, cumin, cardamom, galangal, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass

Sounds like a pretty typical thai/cambodian satay sauce, other than the star anise which isn't that outrageous. Make a traditional satay sauce, stir fry your vegetables, add in your shrimp then toss it through the sauce over heat.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Am I right in thinking this is proper Sichuanese chili bean paste? I've only got stuff made with...soy beans...in my fridge and I found this and promptly bought it, since I know the ingredient in question is transliterated as dou ban jiang, and Pixian is a city in Sichuan. Did I err or did I hit the jackpot?

Ingredients are chilies, broad beans, salt, and flour.

Correct ingredients, i'd say it's the right one for Ma Po Dofu.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Is Kai Choy the same thing?

Close enough, same family, it's one one in Thai and Chinese pickled mustard greens, might even be the same thing depending on where in the world the dish you're making comes from

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mich posted:

Even better, grind fresh chiles (bird chiles are good) and salt together in a mortar and pestle. Also great with guava and nectarines that are not quite ripe.

I'm too lazy, I buy the little bag, done fresh that day from next to the cash register at the local viet market. Melons are great with it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Dogfish posted:

Thanks! I'm excited to eat these; they sound delicious. I have finally perfected a recipe for gluten-free (actual celiac disease! not weirdo hippie fake gluten allergy!) dumpling wrappers and now all I want to do is make dumplings all the time.

Glutinous rice flour and egg yolk? Wheat starch and tapioca flour?
Both would be gluten free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ahmeni posted:

Is there a particularly recommended place for Aussie goons to buy kitchenware? Amazon is hit and miss as we're redirected to the European site. In particular someone that carries the Kitchenaid MCP or AllClad.
https://www.petersofkensington.com.au

It's not quite cheap as imports but it's very well priced, especially when they have a sale on. Located in Syd so the shipping is fast and pretty cheap.