Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So, just tried to use a crock pot for the first time. Turns out I plugged it in to a dead socket for the past 3 hours. I had raw pork ribs and beef broth in it. It had a lid on though. Is the food any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

pile of brown posted:

obviously this is much later but I would have thrown it into a pot on the stove high until it reached a rolling boil for a few minutes, and then returned everything to the crock pot which had been plugged in and heating while the other stuff boiled. this would affect the temperature negatively, but get the surface of the meat to a bacteria killing temperature as swiftly as possible.

I am somewhat lax about "proper food handling rules" when I am cooking at home for myself though and those rules would in fact recommend tossing that food out because it is unlikely it would heat up to a proper temperature quickly enough to have spent less than four hours above 40F and under 140F.

drat. I went ahead and made it anyways just so I could get the experience under my belt (it was really easy) and I kept it in the fridge until I got a response. Good thing I didn't eat it than.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Where can I find dry onion soup mix in the grocery store? I went to 2 different places and didn't find any. I tried the soup and spice aisle, nothing. Any substitutes I can use?

Or, hell, does anyone just have a easy pot roast recipe I could use with a slow cooker? I'm just trying to get some meals under my belt.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

taqueso posted:

Awesome, thanks alot. I'll make this tonight and let you know how it goes. Btw, about how long should it take for the meat to fall apart? When I made pulled pork last night it took 4 hours on a high setting. I'm guessing maybe 6-8 for this? The reason I ask is because most likely I'll be asleep while making this.

EDIT: While reading some more recipes online I noticed that some of them want you to add soda to the mix? Does this actually taste good?

casual poster fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 24, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

taqueso posted:

Soda as in baking soda or soda-pop? I wouldn't add either, but I can see cola adding some sweetness and tang. If you are just trying to get recipes under your belt, don't go there.

I'm actually just trying to see how far I can push my crock pot, not to good at cooking in general though. So, when making a pot roast, do I just throw a 3lb slab of meat in the pot, or cut it somehow?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Casu Marzu posted:

From earlier on this same page:

Yeah your right, that was on this same page. I asked if I just throw the 3 lb chunk of meat into the slow cooker or do I cut it? Should I cut it into quarters, or would it cook fine just in one big chunk?

EDIT: Ended up cutting it in 4 slabs, figured (in my limited knowledge) that it takes longer for a big mass to heat up so it'd probably be better to go the other way. Thanks for the help tonight.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 25, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Alright, thanks for all the help last night with my pot roast. Felt like I owed it to you to let you know how it came out, because it came out beautifully.

The meat was great, not too dry. The onions and carrots could of used more flavor (not sure what happened there) but over all it was pretty drat good. Thanks for the help!

casual poster fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 25, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is it cool if I add beef broth in addition to water, into my crock pot while making pulled pork? This recipe (http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq-pulled-pork-recipe-for-under-15-easy-and-frugal/) doesn't call for it, but last time I made a meal like this I used it and it came out tasting great.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Hmmm, I left 3 lbs of raw chicken in my crock pot for 2 hours (the electrical outlet had to be reset). Should I throw it out and get new chicken, or is it still good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I just got a bialetti non-stick ceramic pan. Washed it before cooking. Cooked some chicken on it and while doing it I noticed a nasty plastic smell. I moved the handle a little further away from the flame and the smell seemed to have stopped. Can I still eat the chicken?