Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

What can you guys tell me about Polish food, beyond perogi and sausage? I've got a new restaurant across the street opening soon, "The Polish Cottage", and I want to get some idea of what I'm looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Not Very Metal posted:

Will it be Polish owned and operated? This will probably make a huge difference in the quality of the food.

The pierogi and sausage will come in roughly a bazillian different forms - namely fresh and smoked for the sausage, then sweet cheese or not for the pierogi. Their dill pickle soup and czarnina will most likely be scrumptious. Kapusta is a staple - it's essentially a slightly more sweet sauerkraut. Potatoes are huge in Polish cuisine, so there will be a lot of different methods there as well. Also expect great golumpki (as mentioned - stuffed cabbage), and crepes of several varieties.

All of the Polish restaurants around me also do a "Hungarian Pancake," which is a thick potato pancake topped with a heavily paprika'd goulash.
I was driving by a week ago and saw some folks inside doing work. I turned in to chat with them and they both had pretty heavy accents.
The name on the liquor license application I see online is Monika Glowacka-Musial, which sounds pretty Polish to me.

I have high hopes, Tucson has been sorely lacking in central/eastern European food for the last few years, and good central/eastern European food for quite a bit longer than that.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want to make pasta with standard red meat sauce. I have some zucchini and crookneck squash I'd like to use. Can I work them into a tomato based meat sauce somehow? Grate them? Worried about waterlogging the sauce, I suppose I could grate them, salt them to suck out moisture then add to the sauce for some additional bulk?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You could try apricot kernels - they're pretty similar to bitter almond, I believe, and are readily available online and in health food stores. Of course if you eat too many you could get cyanide poisoning. Just don't eat a bunch at once - the wikipedia page mentions that a bag from Pakistan was tested to have more than twice the lethal dose of cyanide if eaten all at once, and it was recalled.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want to roast a pig. Please tell me where my process is missing something/could be improved.

1. Obtain pig. Remove head and legs. Fully debone the carcass.
2. Take the meat mat that was the outside of the pig and season liberally with salt, pepper, lemon zest, fennel seed, whole onions, fennel bulbs, olive oil, whatever else looks good.
3. Take all the meat that didn't come off with the mat and lay it inside.
4. Distribute butt and ham meat as appropriate (maybe cut off bone, maybe leave whole?)
5. Season all that similarly.
6. Roll it all up into a pig log of relatively uniform thickness

Now this is where it gets tricky - I like the idea of a subterranean oven but I'm in a rental house, and I live in Arizona so the ground is like a goddamn rock and I'd spend a couple days digging out a hole by hand.
I don't have an oven capable of handling this done with an adult pig.

Do I have any good options for hands-off roasting?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

It was mostly something I was thinking about after reading about big porchetta preperations, and thought it could be an interesting project. Very much concept stage, though, as you say I don't know anyone with experience in this.
Sounds like the log idea isn't a good one, though, so I'll keep thinking about alternate plans.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I thought I didn't like Korean food, but I think I've just always had lovely renditions. There's a relatively new restaurant in town Seoul Kitchen (which annoys the poo poo out of me whenever it gets mentioned because we have basically no soul food places here), they make their own kim chee, they're really nice, their bi bim bap was tasty and they gave me a free appetizer of bean dae deok.

I'm excited to explore the rest of the menu :3:

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You could make some sort of version of birria, the beef recipes I'm finding use baby back ribs and top round, boiled with garlic and onions for an hour, then another half an hour with toasted chili puree and spices, then shredded. Not really the same idea as shredded pork, but tasty as hell.
http://www.mexgrocer.com/511-birria.html

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Requesting a rice pudding recipe. The last remaining guy from the warehouse that got outsourced is leaving October 31st and has been mentioning rice pudding recently.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mach420 posted:

Like, what kind of rice pudding? Western style dessert-like stuff or an Asian style rice porridge?

Western desserty stuff

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

A small herb garden is always nice to have too. I do bread, charcuterie and cider, and I've got a garden. On the non food front of things, take courses like blacksmithing, glassblowing, ceramics - I get as much enjoyment making a hand axe as I do making a couple pounds of bacon. And the axe will last longer too.

I want to, one day, make my own BLT from scratch. Like, grow wheat, grind flour, grow tomatoes and lettuce, raise and butcher my own pig, cure bacon from said pig. I don't expect the final product to be extraordinarily out of this world or anything, but I think it would be really satisfying to have had that crazy amount of effort put into a simple sandwich. I may even prepare and serve with stuff I've made in glass, wood and metal.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Not so much that, but I believe that when you put warm meats (or meat-based chili I guess) straight into a cooler or freezer, the outside will cool while the inside remains warm, which allows bacteria to go nuts.

Just cool it to room temperature, it's chili; nothing will happen if you leave it overnight on the stovetop with a lid on.

I find this statement confusing. Surely there would be less time in the "danger zone" putting chili in the fridge as compared to leaving it out overnight where it will come to room temp in a couple hours and then sit there for a few hours more?

The real thing to be concerned about is loving up everything else in your fridge when it comes to putting a large hot mass in your fridge/freezer - ambient temp is brought up, everything gets warmer than it should, and your compressor has to work overtime.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

razz posted:

^^^ Hey I just made a lasagna with huge tomato chunks and hella mushrooms and (gasp) grated parmesan cheese and it was awesome! I made an identical one a few months ago and took it to a potluck - a huge double tall pan of lasagna and it was literally the first thing gone off of the table.

HERE IS A TERRIFYINGLY STUPID QUESTION:

Are canned tomatoes cooked? I read online that they are "heat sealed" in the can or something like that, but does that mean they're cooked before they go into the can? If so, how are they cooked?

They are cooked to some degree, the more processed they are, the more cooked. Whole canned are the least processed/cooked of all of them

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Toaster ovens mess with cooking times on sensitive stuff like bread because they're so close to the coil. Try a smaller loaf, lower temp, or real oven.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

physeter posted:

I spent last night experimenting and I've decided that since I can't make acorn squash light and asiany, I can at least make it loving awesome. Gonna roast the halves in smem, sea salt and ras al hanout, then stuff in the last five minutes with couscous, toasted pistachios, and dried cherries/figs that have been rehydrated with duck fat and merlot.

gently caress her stupid lemongrass turkey :regd08:

Good god I had to read that three or four times. What is smem?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

marlowe can you go posted:

Not sure if there was a better specific thread to ask this in, so I'm asking it here.

Last year I followed these instructions to make clarrey (spiced white wine with honey).

It says right there that for best results you should leave it to sit for a month. Well, I put it away and completely forgot about it so I suppose now it's been sitting for about twelve months.

If I attempt to drink this, will it make me very sick?

Probably not. Is there anything floating in it, or does it smell/taste horrid? If not, you're good to go.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I like the healthy eating philosophy succinctly expressed by Michael Pollan.
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Dane posted:

In our CSA boxes these weeks we're getting a lot of sunchokes/jerusalem artichokes, and I'm thoroughly uninspired. I don't really know how to get them to shine, they've never really appealed to me and have been relegated to random_filler_veg in soups etc.

Any suggestions for what I can do with them that'll make me and them happy?

I really love just roasted sun chokes. Cut them up, oil, season and roast just like you would fingerling potatoes.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

My roommate just picked up the Komachi 2 8" chef's knife for $5 at TJMaxx. I also grabbed a Kitchenaid immersion blender for $40, which even after tax was cheaper than anywhere online

I've gotten to really like places like TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning and stuff, since they'll often get, like, Le Creuset overstock and sell it for 40% of the retail price.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Are the bottoms of the pans flat? If so, they should work fine on any cooking surface.

Except on induction cooktops. Unless there's a layer of steel in there somewhere.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Killing Loaf posted:

I'm surprised not to see a raw milk thread here. There's so much you can do with it that you can't do with pasteurised milk, like making fresh butter, cream cheese, and whey. Is raw milk an acceptable topic of discussion on this forum?

Of course NosmoKing will come by with "food safety" and "scare us" with "facts" and "figures" about how raw milk can very occasionally do horrible things like kill you or destroy your organs or something.

I dunno, there's an element of risk involved with raw milk, but you definitely can do cool stuff with it as you mention. I've considered it but the money required around here to get any is ridiculous so I haven't bothered.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

There's a bbq place local to my fiancee's parent's house that I hit when I'm up here that has some awesome homemade sweet pickled jalapeņos. They're not the wimpy white seed jalapeņos, either, they've got the darker brown seeds.
Spent $3 and got a pint of them. Thinking I'll mash a couple up and use them straight as a spread on a steak sandwich or something.

How sweet are your candied jalapenos? How sweet vs hot vs vinegar? If they're way more on the sweet end, it could be interesting to make a relish out of them and put it on ice cream

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Yehudis Basya posted:

Makin' mayo for the first time. Wooh!

1) How do I store it? Mason jar?

2) Immersion blender or food processor?

I generally make fairly small amounts and just store it in a tupperware.
Immersion blender is easier to clean up usually.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

This is the cheese thread.

I've been eyeing this thing about making mozarella but I have no idea if it is actually a good resource or not because I haven't gotten around to trying anything yet.

I've always liked this page: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/cheese_course/cheese_course.htm

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Peanuts would be an okay substitute as long as it didn't make the mole taste weird. A lot of traditional moles (especially mole verde) use pumpkin seeds, and I'm pretty fond of them. Mexican markets sell them ("pepitas" in Spanish), as do a many regular grocery stores these days. Get the hulled ones, they should be green in color. I've seen mole recipes with peanuts as well, though, so you'd probably be okay either way.

I would also double check with your friend that peanuts specifically are OK, unless you're 100% sure on it. It's such a common allergy, especially in those with other sensitivities.
Pepita mole is awesome too

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

The komachi bread knife works pretty well for me, and was recommended a few years ago here.
http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Komachi-2-Bread-Knife/dp/B0029XBUKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1325785447&sr=1-1
Cheap as hell too.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I got a bunch of tasty local raw honey.
Other than eating it from the jar like a fatass or mixing it into tea/whatever, what can I do with it?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You could also just wash it off tonight, then dry it and keep it for tomorrow? Wouldn't be oversalted then.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ashenai posted:

Does anyone know anything about halogen ovens? I saw one of them in a store, but I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find decent (non-promotional) information about them. Are they just a dumb gimmick, or can you legitimately prepare most of your meals with them? What kinds of food can they cook?

I'm pretty much garbage at cooking, but the idea of low-effort food preparation that's still a step up from "throw instant noodles in microwave" is appealing. Does anyone here use these things?

Early concept design for the flavorwave:

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Can anyone illuminate this?

Wikipedia but:

quote:

Some kinds of raw beans, especially red and kidney beans, contain a harmful toxin (lectin phytohaemagglutinin) that must be removed by cooking. A recommended method is to boil the beans for at least ten minutes; undercooked beans may be more toxic than raw beans.[8] Cooking beans in a slow cooker, because of the lower temperatures often used, may not destroy toxins even though the beans do not smell or taste 'bad'[8] (though this should not be a problem if the food reaches boiling temperature and stays there for some time).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytohaemagglutinin

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

I think you've got it the problem figured out. An empty pan on an electric stove can get quite hot. Electric stoves get a bad rap as not being hot enough, but really they are just slower than gas.

I mostly don't like electric stoves because you can set them to either be not hot enough to do anything, or :supaburn: and not much in between. I'm sure there are some better, more modern ones that do better, but the default cheap apartment model is a problem.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

One of my friends is ordering pastured beef and pork from these folks and I'm getting in on that action. I asked for the bones, since she didn't want them, and I'll be getting the pig's cheeks. I hear that braised pork cheek is simply amazing.

The next available slaughter date is in April, so I've got a bit of a wait, but man am I looking forward to filling my freezer with this stuff.

Would anybody be interested in a thread about buying local meat like this, when the time comes? Or, is there already a thread and I'm just not finding it?

Hollin Farms also does pick-your-own fruit and vegetables, and is just generally an awesome place. If you're in driving distance of Delaplane (northern Virginia), you should definitely check them out during their picking season.

I'd like to see such a thread.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

How long does duck fat last in the fridge?

I'm seeing about 6 months online, up to around a year in the freezer.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Okay a question:

I acquired some raw ham hocks recently, what should I do with them? Of course smoking them I suppose, but it would be kind of a pain to do here. Recipes and links to recipes are good, too :)

Pickle them and then make a ton of red beans and rice.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Biscuits are being made to use up buttermilk, and to use some of the honey I got.
Other than fried chicken, what should I eat with biscuits'n'honey? Fish is off the table because my roommate hates fish so... yeah.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want copious amounts of nice and spicy Indian (at least, style) food. I've utterly goddamn butchered all of my past attempts.
What style of dish should I look up? I'd like something spicy, ideally something without a million different things to buy in order to make it, and something that a three year old would have a decent chance of preparing satisfactorily. Because I feel like that's about where I am when it comes to Indian or Indian style food. I'll probably put chicken in it.

Is Dino's book a good beginner level "this is Indian food that happens to be vegan" option?

I one day hope to live next to an old Indian/Greek/Italian/Spanish/Etc lady whose hobby is cooking amazing goddamn food for her neighbors, so that I can learn from her and also eat her food. I'll clean her gutters and buy her ingredients or something.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Perhaps you guys can help me figure out what exactly it is I love at the Chinese comfort food place. They have it listed in English as braised pork rice. It isn't listed online anywhere so I can't reference the actual Chinese characters.
It is a bed of medium grain rice covered in a corn starch thickened brown gravy with five spice. Little bitty pieces of very tender pork (pork belly?) are in the gravy. That seems to be pretty much it.

If this isn't enough to go on, I guess I'll have to go back and get it again and take a picture of the specials board in the hopes someone can translate. It's a sacrifice I'll be willing to make.

Edit: If it helps, I asked what region the food was from and they just said "northern China".

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Seems pretty similar, but the sauce consistency I'm seeing doesn't match the restaurant version, and many of the recipes I'm finding online call for shitakes and some for dried shrimps/scallops, rock sugar, etc.
I'm ignorant enough about Chinese food that I have no idea if the above differences would constitute an entirely different dish or if it all falls within the concept of lu rou fan. I will definitely take a picture next time I'm there, of the dish and the specials board.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Dogfish posted:

Thanks! I'm excited to eat these; they sound delicious. I have finally perfected a recipe for gluten-free (actual celiac disease! not weirdo hippie fake gluten allergy!) dumpling wrappers and now all I want to do is make dumplings all the time.

I haven't tried it with chard, but I'm a big fan of kale chips. I found this, suggesting that chard may work too.
http://www.macheesmo.com/2011/08/swiss-chard-chips/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Alright, my mystery dish from the chinese place I like. Lady said "yao fei", something like that. I didn't get the dish this time, but I did take a picture of the board:

The top one is the one in question.

Is this an accurate transcription?
卤肉饭

If it is, it is lu rou fan as Gravity suggested. Just a weird prep, I guess, as the dice on the meat is finer and the sauce is way way thicker than anything I've found online.

Ok, found a picture on the Chinese wikipedia of lu rou fan that looks pretty similar to the one I get, but mine has a bit more sauce

Cool. I had computer nerd linguist fun going through the unicode tables to try to find the characters :buddy: So I guess this means this place is north Taiwanese.

Ahhh, cool, this looks the most like it of anything I've found so far:

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 2, 2012