Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Knockknees posted:

SO I am scrounging around the kitchen trying to figure out what I can make as comfort food for this stupid cold. I think I can make tomato soup. I have never made tomato soup before and a google search is confusing me with too many methods.

If you have carrots (I know they weren't listed, but carrots are everywhere, right?), shred up some carrots and use that instead of sugar. If not, no biggie, but they're better than a spoonful of sugar any day.

Reserve a quarter cup of tomatoes and some of the basil, and add them right at the end, five minutes before you're done. And after you puree everything for your tomato soup, strain it so it's silky smoove.

E: wrong quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Charmmi posted:

Stewed Rabbit with Red Wine and Wild Mushrooms

Is there a special rabbit-sourcing trick? I haven't found a local butcher that carries them regularly, and when they do, they're frozen.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Dane posted:

More chili questions: I have a ton of habaneros on my plants now, way more than I can eat, and I don't have much time to do stuff with them. Will they freeze well if I just cut them and bag them?

Seconding drying them, smoke some if you can, too. Also, blend some up with an acid and a sugar and make a chili sauce to keep in the fridge.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Aspichili was six servings. I usually figure a half pound of meat = a bowl of chili, but if you're using beans, maybe 1/4lb meat and 1/2-1c beans per bowl. If a full bowl is 2c, you'd need 80c of chili, so 20 quarts after reducing. 30 quart pot might be pretty full at the start.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
If you're doing that large of a batch, you'll definitely want beans or something to extend it, plus have rice/cornbread/pasta/whatever as a side so you don't run out of food by making exactly enough for everyone to have one bowl :)

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
My parents made mayo in the blender ever since I was little. Works great.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

EVG posted:

I've just acquired a 10lb bag of limes. What should I do with this unexpected bounty?

Get some gelatin, silver tequila or whatever, and make jello shots with some salt on top. Sell for $1 a shot while tailgating at a football game. Profit.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Darkblade posted:

Hey guys do you know of a good beef stroganoff sauce recipe? All the stuff I see wants cream of this or that and I wont make that mistake again.

10 pieces of cubed beef
1/2-3/4 pkg sliced mushrooms (basically however much you want, same with the beef)
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup campbells gardennay harvest mushroom (I used this to thin out the soup, use less if it's too thin afterwards for you)
1 pkg lipton onion roasted garlic
salt/pepper/whatever

Obviously the noodles and sour scream will be added at the end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
As someone who's had high cholesterol since my teens, I've dropped my cholesterol over 120 points in the last 9 months on a high protein, high fat (lol carbs) diet, along with working out and not eating fast food or prepackaged foods.

I basically only drink coconut milk and protein powder erryday.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Iunnrais posted:

I've been trying to cook more and more from scratch lately, but I'm a little stumped how to go about approximating a prepackaged recipe.

Basically, the prepackaged method is chop up potatoes, mix chopped potatoes with oil and pre-packaged onion soup, and bake. (as seen on the back of the box)

Any recipes for this sort of thing without the dehydrated prepackaged onion soup? Google searches just get me dozens of "recipes" identical to the above link, except without the name brand.

You can try to approximate the powder, which probably looks something like this:
8 tsp. dry minced onion
1 tsp. onion powder
4 tsp. beef bouillon or 4 cubes
1/4 tsp. celery salt

Or, you could caramelize some diced onions, adding in minced garlic and a little bit of celery seed at the end, and toss the potatoes in that mixture with a little oil. If you're doing baked fry wedges or whatever, roasting them with a slathering of oil and tossing with garlic, herbs (and onion powder if that's what you're really looking for), and parmesan after cooking works well, too.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
That's fine, and will cook faster, too, which will make the skin less crispy. If you're having trouble fitting the halves in, you can quarter the chicken at the hip joint for smaller pieces.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Hmmm, Quinoa, isn't that the seed of the Amaranthus?

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

yes posted:

Vinegar is not required to poach an egg at all, but most people claim it makes the white set faster by lowering the surface tension of the water. I remain skeptical about it, but if you want to add vinegar, you can use any type you want.

Not set faster, stay together better.

E: welp, same diff after research. Poach hard, son

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

+ something hot, like cayenne or shipotle

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
You know how many people I'm getting involved in our local food movement? Not enough. If ya'll could sign up, it would be tremendous.

There is only one way to help the local rancher, and if Wolf Pack Meats gets shut down, there will be no local organic locavore meat industry left, which is terrifying.This is a mission CRITICAL meeting to get the monsters at UNR Administration to see the benefit to the greater Sierra Nevada Meat Markets. Wolf Pack Meats is cheap, local, and amazing in selection: you just have to ask.

http://www.greatbasinfood.coop/working-volunteers/petition-letter-of-support/

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Probably better to make the soup and then freeze it, then the texture won't be so wonky. The meat will last a couple days in the fridge post food-coma, so you don't have to worry about soup until Saturday or Sunday.

OCCUPY GWS

BREAK THE MOD HEGEMONY

YEAH DOG fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 5, 2011

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Stirring in a little bit of milk/cream/water in a pot over low heat works pretty well if it's become a solid mass.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Gerblyn posted:

Well, it's more how I can reheat the chicken properly without burning the sauce or pasta, but that sounds like it's worth a try.

Ahh okay. I've been without a microwave for a long time, so I'm used to heating everything back up on the stove. A non-stick pan over medium-low and covered would be my choice.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
You can use the same timeframe. It's the time that the collagen breaks down. you can probably third or whatever the recipe, too, as long as you have at least a little bit of liquid covering the bottom of the crockpot. At that long of a cooking time, it's going to be shredded pork whether it's 2lbs or 10lbs.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Abu-Saleh posted:

Ok, so I'm kinda hungry right now and there is no appropriate receptacle in the room, so I just want to know if I can microwave spam in its original tin? Should be all right if I'd just open the lid so that the pressure can vent, right?

Trip report please

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJNDCvx8r7U

YEAH DOG fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 6, 2011

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
The best part about living across the country from extended family and being an only child was being able to have lobster or leg of lamb or whateverthefuck we wanted without having to plan on relatives :c00l:

But leg of lamb is a good extra main dish if you're going to do goose.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Darval posted:

Quotin' myself from 2 pages back, no one has opinions about knives? :(

Here is a vid of a dude cutting up a fish with a bigass knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhsj1d9SGwM

It's probably more about technique and what you're comfortable with.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

CerebralDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend a fairly cheap (sub $75) roller pasta machine? Sorry if this has been addressed previously in the thread.

This one is good and usually on sale

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

gowb posted:

Anyone know a good recipe for beef stroganoff that is tasty and kinda healthy? My girlfriend loves the Hamburger Helper kind, but I wince on the inside every time she brings a box home. Google just brings up Paula Deen poo poo, and there is no way I am going to make something from Paula Deen. I've been cooking for a while so I know a good bit, but I've learned not to trust her or random internet recipes, and you guys seem to be on the ball culinarily.

10 pieces of cubed beef
1/2-3/4 pkg sliced mushrooms (basically however much you want, same with the beef)
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup campbells gardennay harvest mushroom (I used this to thin out the soup, use less if it's too thin afterwards for you)
1 pkg lipton onion roasted garlic
salt/pepper/whatever

Obviously the noodles and sour scream will be added at the end.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
It's too late for any interesting potato dishes, but hasselbacks are pretty and easy to do. Serving anything other than potatoes next to a steak is pretty much a suicide mission, let alone salad.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Cuddlebottom posted:

Is there anything that would make a reasonable substitute for cumin? The strong smell bothers one of my housemates and we lack enough ventilation to make up for it.

the gently caress? no. Cumin is literally the most important part to any dish that calls for it. Burn that retard to the ground.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
This thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Charmmi posted:

I think I'm pretty decent with a knife, considering I've been cutting at things for a while without managing to slice myself open. (Using a mandoline is a whole different story oh god my thumg) I think I could be better, faster, more efficient. I know my offhand grip on food is not the most effective. Do you have any favorite knife technique videos that I could look at to see what I'm doing differently?

I know the CIA is kinda looked down on but the boot camp basics was a good primer. This is an excerpt from the DVD, which I will let you borrow if you'd like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE3VYDnfHYE

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Slavvy posted:

I just tried making packet pasta, it's basically a bunch of dry pasta bits and a powder that dissolves for flavour etc. It said to add x milk and x hot water and x butter, which I did, and then to 'bring to the boil, stirring' followed by 'boil gently uncovered for 10 minutes' in a pot. I did this and after it boiled it immediately overflowed really badly and went everywhere. I took it off the element to stop it boiling, but then for a good five minutes it wouldn't stop boiling if I put it back on despite my having turned off the element. How do you boil gently without this happening? Boiled=boiled in my mind, I don't see how you can keep boiling something without it evaporating/overflowing.

edit: just finished the stupid pasta. Aside from the huge mess all over my kitchen/element, it came out ok. But the pasta is all in small chunks and shreds, not in the original shapes. Is this because I stirred it too much? It said to stir constantly and I found that if I didn't, it would stick to the bottom of the pot. If I turned the heat down it stopped cooking entirely which didn't seem in keeping with 'boil gently'.

Bubbling over can happen for a few reasons, and there are easy ways to get around it. First, make sure that you have an appropriately sized pot. The water level should be a couple inches below the rim. Next, add a tiny bit of unflavored oil to the water. That helps reduce some surface tension. Then, reduce the heat from high to medium when the water comes to a rolling boil (watch this, it shows simmer vs boil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4WO_x2Xygk). Toss in a 1/2 tsp of salt when cooking pasta or potatoes, too. Stir as you pour the pasta in, and, very gently, keep stirring for the first one to two minutes. This keeps the pasta from sticking together and clumping, and sticking to the bottom. After that, you can give it a swirl every minute or two.

Give yourself some experimentation time. It sounds like your element might be old and only doing high temperatures. You can replace electric elements if you've got a bit of money to spare, but if your landlord is going to be upgrading the stove top sooner or later anyway, you might as well just figure out the burner. Fill a good sized pot half-way with water, turn the stove on high, and wait for the boil. Reduce the hob to medium, let it go for five minutes, and compare the boiling rate. Reduce it to medium-low, wait five minutes, check again. This will give you an idea of where you can keep the temperature to maintain a boil without keeping it on high (which was one reason the pasta was sticking to the bottom). For reference, I can keep mine on 2, low-medium-low, and keep a simmer.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

SERPUS posted:

Are canned oysters already cooked?

Yes. Any canned meat is going to be cooked.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Slavvy posted:

My boss, who seems to be somewhat of an expert on slow cookery, has repeatedly urged me to make macaroni and cheese in my recently acquired cooker. However, in the instructions that came with the cooker it specifically tells you not to cook pasta in it because x y z will happen and it'll come out like poo poo. Who's right here? Is macaroni and cheese possible in a slow cooker?

A couple years ago, this topic came up, and I did it for science's sake. Don't do it, it's a retarded idea and makes a nice bowl of mushy starchwater.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Squashy Nipples posted:

My Japanese nuka pickles are starting to get AMAZING! (it takes a while to get the cultures up and running)

The GF and I have been doing a lot of fermenting and pickling, so we've bought a variety of food-grade plastic buckets. Most ferments require a weight on top, to push down and keep everything nice and anaerobic. However, I struggle to find plates that are the EXACT right size to fit in them to press down, and the lip on most plates wastes some of the brine (or traps air pockets if you flip them over).

Is there such thing as purpose made fermenting disks?

Googling around, I've found ceramic crocks for sauer kraut, but no plates.

Like a drop lid/otoshi-buta? you can just wrap one in a ziploc if you're worried about the wood flavoring the brine.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Me in Reverse posted:

Is buying duck fat on Amazon a horrible idea or the horriblest idea?

Neither? I got the same stuff from William Sonoma, and it's pretty good.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

geetee posted:

Thanks guys. I sauteed A and C together with some butter, salt, pepper and squeeze of lemon. Tasted pretty much like spinach, but with more texture. Some fresh garlic (so tiny!), garlic scapes, red scallions and bok choy went into a shrimp stir fry.

Do CSAs typically start off slow? I'm enjoying the variety, but the quantity leaves a bit to be desired. Still fun to try new things at least.

It depends on everything. What was the CSA promising? Typically they'll tell you that a basket will feed X amount of normal, non-american sized people. If the weather's been poo poo, there won't be as much. CSA's are much more like living off the land than going down to WalMart and getting a tomato every day of the year. Towards the end of the summer you'll get more squash, and then potatoes in the fall, and then more greens.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

KingColliwog posted:

Sooooo, I'm looking for a enameled dutch oven but I can't justify the expense of a great Staub or Creuset one. I was about to pull the trigger on a Lodge one, but I've read a lot of review of them chipping after less than 6 months of use which seems quite ridiculous if you ask me. I have no interest in buying anything that won't last at the very least 5 years. I know I could just buy a cast iron one, but the whole seasonning and can't use soap on them doesn't seem so great. Any thread about this or just suggestions?

Also, looking for a griddle pan. Is worth having one if I don't already have a regular cast iron pan or are my priorities wrong.

Another vote for Lodge. I use my enameled dutch oven every couple weeks, and have had it for a couple years with no issues. I also love my other Lodge cast iron, for griddles/pans/whatever.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

But how can I deliberately ferment my pineapple chunks without it just plain rotting, or taking weeks to ferment in a cold fridge?

Read the homebrew thread, goddamn. The colder it is, the slower it ferments, and the quicker it rots if your poo poo isn't right. There's a half-decent formula for sugar in > alcohol out that's been around a couple years.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

ImperialGuard posted:

I feel so embarrassed about this question that I was considering posting it in the "bachelor thread" in PYF.

I've had some whole onions sitting in my fridge for a while (probably like 6 months+ :ohdear:), and I'd like to cook with them.

1. Are they going to be anything near consumable?

2. What would be some telltale signs to look for to discern that?

In the fridge, mebbe not so great. People have been cellaring onions for thousands of years, but fridges are lower temp and that's not great for them. Cut it open, check for green/grey areas, squishy spots, mushy spots, or layers that have separated a lot.

Onions are like $.15, though, if you can hoof it to a store. You can leave them out for longer on your counter than in the fridge.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think the average person associates "barbecue sauce" with the sweet, thick, smoky flavor, even though the base sauce is the same.

In the same way a mornay is just a kind of bechamel.

There are three distinct varieties of barbecue sauce. Mustard, Vinegar, and Tomato. It sounds like you need tomato-based bbq. Don't pull that yankee racist bullshit. Let's just call any sauce with chicken broth a veloute, while you're at it. Gravies be damned.

gently caress teaching anyone in this thread. Wallow in your ignorance.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

There's a place in Sparks that's making soy sauce for at least the local market. Japanese style, really good. I haven't seen it anywhere else though and they don't even have a website as far as I've been able to tell. Really good stuff, though.

Otherwise I usually just buy Yamasa.

What's the brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Drifter posted:

I don't even know whatthefuck, but can I use ghee instead of butter for cookies? I want to make cookies and have a whole jar of clarified butter but no actual normal butter. I don't want to go to the store tonight. Would I need to substitute anything else as a result?

Good idea or terrible idea?

Weedbutter is pretty much ghee, sooooo