Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Q8ee posted:

I don't think I'd like Saag, it seems similar to something I've had in the past and the flavours aren't really my thing. Also what do you mean by lamb and "lamb"?

Are you in the US? A lot of lamb sold there is actually mutton as it comes from a older sheep rather than an actual lamb. Mutton is tougher than lamb and this leads a lot of Americans to conclude that 'lamb' is not a nice meat and not worth the price.
As a British Australian this is a horrifying state of affairs as lamb is plentiful, cheap and really delicious and so tender when properly cooked.

I'll hunt down the Lamb vindaloo recipe I posted in this thread a while back as it should work even with mutton as you can cook it down until the meat is tender, however long that takes as long as you control the temp and how hard it simmers.

Found it, it was in the curry thread.

Helith posted:

Would you like a vindaloo recipe? Of course you would!
This is a recipe I've cooked a couple of times and it's a Goan version of vindaloo which is itself based on the Portuguese vinha d'alhos (meat with wine and garlic). It is quite spicy so have a raita with it. This makes a big batch enough for 6-8 servings. I usually make a full batch of the paste but only cook 1/2 of it with 1 kg of meat and save the other half in the fridge for another time.

Lamb Vindaloo
2kg lamb leg meat cut into 4cm cubes (or you can use chuck steak or pork shoulder or leg)
vegetable oil
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped

Vindaloo Paste
1 tsp mustard powder
2 tbsp chilli powder
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp black pepper
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups dry white wine
1/4 cup caster sugar
12 cloves garlic
2 tbsp grated ginger
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped

Combine the paste ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
Pour the paste over the meat in a non reactive bowl and marinate for at least 3 hrs.

Heat about 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat until very hot. Remove the lamb from the marinade leaving behind as much of the reserved marinade and juices as possible. Fry the lamb in batches until well browned, adding extra oil as necessary, and set aside.
Fry the onions in a little more oil until golden brown and return the browned lamb to the pot.
Add the reserved marinade plus 1/2 cup of water, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
If it starts to go dry add a little water or cover it.
Serve with rice and/or bread and a cucumber raita and maybe a simple tomato salad.

Cucumber Raita
2 Lebanese cucumbers, unpeeled
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups Greek style plain yoghurt (I use Chobani)
A handful mint leaves, finely shredded
1/4 tsp ground cumin

Remove the ends of the cucumbers, split them in half and scrape out the seeds. Grate the cucumbers in a bowl and scatter with the salt. Put them into a fine sieve and let them drain for 10 mins. Then gently squeeze out any excess liquid.
Mix the cucumber with the yoghurt, mint and cumin and serve.

Helith fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Duck does go really well in a Thai red curry. Put some cherry tomatoes and some lychees in there too, they help with the richness of the duck.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve always started duck breasts in a cold pan and put the heat to medium and they turn out excellent. As Subg said, make sure the skin is scored to render out all the fat. The skin should go crispy and the meat be medium rare. I give mine 7-8 mins skin side down then 2-5 mins on the other side depending on thickness and how done you want them. You’d be amazed how quickly the fat starts rendering out in a pan started from cold.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

theHUNGERian posted:

I bought my first jar of Manuka honey (from Trader Joe's) and I'm hooked. Is there a more economical choice (of Manuka) that is just as tasty and organic/sustainably produced?

I just got hooked on Kombucha and the last thing I need is yet another money pit. drat it!

Well it is a niche product and real Manuka honey is only produced in New Zealand or a bit of Australia, so yeah, it's going to be pricey. I mean even here in Australia it's twice as expensive than other honeys on average and we make the stuff.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Always cook with a wine you’d like to drink, is the rule.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Don’t feel stupid buying just a couple of loose celery sticks, or small quantities of anything! Being able to buy just the amount you need and reduce food wastage is a great thing to do.
Also the shop doesn’t care, if they only wanted you to buy larger prepackaged amounts of something then that is all they would offer and not have loose items available.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, if you want a good example compare an episode of Masterchef USA to Masterchef Australia. USA has both judges and contestants constantly arguing, yelling and generally being awful people. It’s actually unpleasant to watch a lot of the time.

Australia on the other hand is a huge hug-fest where everyone loves each other, and the contestants constantly cry about missing their children and seeing their friends get eliminated :unsmith:

We constantly joke that Masterchef Australia should be sponsored by Kleenex, but yeah, it’s a fantastic show where the emphasis is on the food produced and being the best chef you can to win rather than backstabbing the others to win by default. It’s like the Great British Bake Off, and the Great Australian Bake Off, in terms of niceness and sheer feel goodness. They are all great watches.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Leal posted:

Is it pronounced gee-ro or guy-ro

It’s pronounced Döner Kebab.

Anyway, lamb mince person I would second the suggestion to make a Shepherds Pie. Lovely winter dish.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Casu Marzu posted:

Check out Ottolenghi's cookbooks.

Thirded
And also check out Claudia Roden too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Bagheera posted:

Can I substitute other fruit juices or purees for the lemon in lemon curd?

I posted recently about a strawberry parfait I was going to make. Many thanks for the BBC recipe for sponge cake. It was wonderful, both in flavor and to see weights and metric measurements instead of volume and imperial.

Unfortunately, the parfait was ruined by the Strawberry Lemon Curd recipe I followed. It had an insanely powerful lemon flavor that overtook the sponge cake, fresh strawberries, and even the whipped cream. If I got all four layers on my fork, the whole thing tasted like lemon.

Now I'm thinking, does the lemon zest/juice actually help the curd set? I imagine the curd's texture is just a matter of sugar, yolks, and some kind of liquid. Instead of, say, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, could I put in 1/2 cup of pureed strawberries?

Passion fruit curd. I don’t have a recipe on hand, but it works and is divine.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

RandomPauI posted:

I'm going to make shepherds pie for 8 people using shredded beef. The recipes all seem to call for tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Would there be any suitable alternatives to using tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce?

I'll still use them if I have to, I'm just not too big a fan of either.

A Shepherds pie is made from lamb. The clue is in the name.
What you are making is a Cottage pie.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Feenix posted:

In today’s parlance, no.

Shepherd's pie or cottage pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato. The recipe can vary widely. Wikipedia

Yes, and Shepherds pie is made with lamb and cottage pie is made from beef. Also in the wiki article on Shepherds pie.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have never been more grateful of anything in my life than the fact that I don’t find coriander to taste like soap. I eat so much Asian foods and cook with fresh coriander leaves, stems, roots and the seeds a lot.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mobby_6kl posted:

Is a pasta machine at all necessary if I just want to make very occasionally? Seems like it should be possible to accomplish the same thing with a rolling pin and a knife, if not quite as precisely obviously.

I made this one a week ago, it was good even though I forgot the vinegar :v:: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/08/grilled-skirt-steak-dijon-mustard-champagne-vinegar-marinade-recipe.html

You can, it’s just way harder and more time consuming to get consistently thin sheets from your dough. Pasta machines are huge time savers and get the dough very thin for you, but they aren’t necessary by any means. Try it by hand and see if you are happy with the result and the amount of time and effort you used.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

I've got some sliced turkey breast chunky pieces, planning on frying them and throwing some spices in and then having it with rice. Is it going to be ridiculously dry and tough if I do that? or is turkey breast not too bad?

Could you make some sort of sauce first and then add the cooked turkey at the end just to heat it up. That might keep it moister and a bit more appetising.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I did think your turkey was already cooked leftovers, it being raw turkey gives you way more options.
You could cut it up into strips and make a really quick stir fry with it. Depends what you have in your pantry and fridge as to what you chuck in the pan with it. Oyster sauce and soy with a bit of shaoxing make for a good combo. If you have a Thai or Indian curry paste you could pair that coconut milk or tinned tomatoes with Indian curry paste for example.
You would heat oil first then brown the turkey, add vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes to soften, add sauce stuff and cook for another couple of minutes. If you are using a paste add the paste first and fry it until fragrant then add meat followed by veg and the liquid component last.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Qubee posted:

with scrambled eggs, I used to always cook them until they were very, very cooked (to the point where they're dry). lately, I've been undercooking them a bit, so they're still smooth and silky, and when I plate them up, they're a tiny bit runny but the residual heat cooks them to the point where they're soft and smooth but no longer runny. is this okay? or is there some sort of danger with slightly undercooking eggs. they're a lot nicer to eat like this. I used to overcook them because of the big bad salmonella

You’re in the UK right? If so, good news! Lion mark eggs are safe from salmonella risk even for pregnant women, the old and young children. Eat completely raw eggs if you want to.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41568998

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I make Syrian kofta that have grated onion and capsicum in them. They are lamb though and they taste fantastic.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Just eat it. Every time you open the fridge cut a chunk of Gruyere off and eat it as is.
drat, now I want Gruyere.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve just bought a very overpriced imported jar of Branson’s pickle so I can relive my childhood of cheese and pickle sandwiches.
Branstons and Parmesan sounds divine.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I make pasta using 00 flour and add 1 egg to every 100g of flour. That’s it, that’s the simplest pasta recipe. Make sure the eggs are as fresh and good as you can get, I.e. free range, organic, farm fresh etc.
Mix and knead for a good 10 mins until silky and smooth and elastic. You will feel the difference when it’s right and also see the smooth texture. Wrap and chill for an hour in the fridge.
To really get thin pasta a pasta machine is your best bet. I’ve tried hand rolling with a rolling pin and it’s really hard work.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Beyond salad, what are some good uses for feta cheese?

Spanakopita

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm going to make hummus for the first time. The recipe says to soak the chickpeas 'overnight'.
So possibly stupid question: Does that mean I need to start soaking them in the evening and then make the hummus in the morning, or can I put the chickpeas in to soak around lunchtime and leave them until that time tomorrow? Can you over soak them? The recipe also says to add bicarb of soda to the water if that makes any difference to soaking time.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for the answers. So generally you’d soak them for about 8-12 hours but you can for up to 24 if they need it. And cooking can be variable time as well.
These are Aussie chickpeas bought from a middle eastern wholesaler shop so I’d guess they have quick turnover. They have been in my pantry for a few months though.
It’s winter here so it’s cool and humidity is low. I think I’ll put them in to soak just before I head out to dinner and cook them mid morning-ish.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I was going to tell you to add more eggs. I use 1 egg for every 100g of flour, not sure how much a cup of flour would actually weigh in grams, it depends on density and how you pack it in there.
I’ve never liked using cup measures for baking recipes, too much variation in volume.
Also get tipo 00 flour for pasta dough if you can and use the freshest highest quality eggs you can get.
Glad you got it sorted out and yes, rest your dough in the fridge.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah just grind them up yourself.
Either use a coffee / spice grinder (grind some white rice before and after to remove oils) or use a pestle and mortar or if you have neither of those then get a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to bash them up as much as you can.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would say that the wool trade, in regards to sheep especially, is the main economic reason for keeping sheep. Lamb meat is a delicious side business. I’m not a farmer so I may have it wrong, but the wool trade was of vital economic importance to the British and they extended that to their colonies in Australia and New Zealand. I mean Australia is not exactly teeming with bountiful pastures but wool is a big commodity here and lamb to eat is very popular. Of course Australia has a huge cattle farming tradition too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Captainsalami posted:

My hunger for hummus knows no bounds. Anyone got a good recipe? Maybe an instant pot method to make some fresher chickpeas.

One time consuming trick to smoother hummus is to get all the skins off the chickpeas after you’ve cooked them and cooled them. You can shake them about to help get the skins off but I advise putting on some good music, getting comfortable and going through each chickpea and getting the skin off.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

moller posted:

If you submerge them the skins float.

One weird trick! I’ll give this a go when I next make hummus, thanks.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A UK vegetarian cookbook that I really enjoy cooking from as an occasional vegetarian meal eater is Anna Jones’ A Modern Way to Eat.

http://annajones.co.uk/books/modern-way-eat

Helith fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 1, 2019

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

And on that note, is there a Julia Child/Marcella Hazan of Middle Eastern/Levantine/Turkish/Balkan food?

Claudia Roden.

Though Yotam Ottolenghi is a good answer too.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Looks like a Birds Eye, description of heat level sounds like a Birds Eye.
It’s probably a Birds Eye.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FYI
Beef = Cottage pie
Lamb = Shepherds pie
Fish and or seafood = Fish pie.

All have a mash potato top. You can add cheese to the mash for a fish pie.
Serve with peas, petit pois, green beans or snow peas.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

al-azad posted:

At one time if you turned on the oven you would see tiny fireballs bursting because the roaches were living in the oven and didn't scurry away fast enough.

But how did they taste?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Scionix posted:

I am trying to re-create that lovely friend rice you get at trashy teppanyaki joints you can go to in most of America. For whatever reason I am having a very hard time getting anything close. I can usually make something good, but it's never ~the same~

I'm having a hard time getting flavor into the rice without oversaturating it w/butter or oil or whatever and making it slightly greasy. The stuff in resteraunts has this nice MSG sheen to it but it's not greasy.

Anyone do their own fried rice like this? Any tips? Am I an idiot just doing it wrong?

Right now I'm doing long grain basmati, garlic, onion, butter, little bit of oil, egg, salt & pepper, little bit of Kikkoman soy sauce. I use a zojorushi rice cooker + griddle to cook/fry the rice

Do they use powdered MSG? Is that the missing ingredient?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

:agreed:
I really like Lee Kum Lee premium oyster sauce a lot and I usually have Pearl River light and dark soys on hand too.
I’m lucky enough to have a Japanese grocers nearby and they have a good range of imported Japanese shoyu but I can’t recall the brands off hand.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Magissima posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but whatever. In general, would I have any luck emailing non-chain restaurants and asking for nutritional information, specifically sugar/carb levels? I don't know if that's something that they'd even keep track of if they don't have to, but I'm trying to plan a dinner for a diabetic person and that info would make it a lot easier.

It’s possible if you gave them enough notice that they could make something suitable for your friend if their regular food isn’t right for them.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Smoked tofu is also really good in stir fries as it’s firm and has (surprise!) a smoky flavour.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like to make my own peanut butter and usually add just a pinch of salt. Mistakes were made, and now I'm looking for good ways to use up a jar of quite heavily pre-salted peanut puree. It's perfectly edible, just doesn't need any (or much) additional salt, and I don't want to bring it near jelly.

... I guess I could just add the same amount ground peanuts without any salt, couldn't I. Still, I've been meaning to get peanut recipes, good time as any.

Satay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Suspect Bucket posted:

One cool thing my dad installed was a special super-hot water tap in the kitchen that made on demand hot water for coffee and tea. I miss that thing, it was super convenient.

As a British Australian :stonklol: