Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone got a good creole rice or jambalaya recipe to share?

I've made this before with pretty good success. In one of the old newbie threads someone posted a replacement for the spice blend used in the recipe. I have it at home and can post it when I get back if you'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

IfIWereARichMan posted:

I have 3 cups of whole milk in the fridge that is about to go bad. I have no idea what to do with it. Help please. 95% of my meals are rice and beans. The other 5% are things I eat at work.

Rice + beans + milk?

I would just drink it, but I loves me some milk. Eat the rice and beans with a tall glass of milk, I say. (I'm not terribly clever though)

vvv Do that.

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 7, 2011

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

HookShot posted:

Australia has crazy high fat content in milk/cream/etc. In Canada we have skim, 1% and 2% milk.

I was amazed to find that the LOW FAT version of milk in Australia was 2%.

Don't forget 3.25%, most delicious of all milks.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
So I found some brisket in the freezer, and it's been there for close to a year I think. Will I die if I eat it, or will the texture just be pretty off? Planning to slow-cook it if it doesn't smell like death when it thaws.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Junior G-man posted:

Smell test should be all you need really. Just take a very small bite when it's done and if you don't break out in shits/hives/vomiting it'll be fine.

Trip report: Year-old freezer brisket was awesome after cooking for 4 hours. Should have trimmed a little more fat off though. Oh well, it's the holidays and I'm pounding eggnog anyways.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

C-Euro posted:

Lately I've been finding my amount of time and money slowly decreasing so I've been browsing GWS for a little bit looking for help. I have a slow cooker that I love to use but have been looking for new recipes to try. There are a few that I've found on the wiki but is there a slow cooker thread that my forums-gazing missed?

VV Would you mind posting a more descriptive recipe? Any excuse to buy more alcohol :v:

My lazy go-to is as follows:

-Take your beef (roast, brisket, anything that's got a bit of fat really) and liberally salt and pepper it on all sides.
-Chop some onions, enough that you can cover most of the slow-cooker's bottom and have some left to put on top of the beef.
-Throw some oil in a pan and cook the onions until the start to caramelize a bit (this part might be optional, I do it anyways)
-Toss most of the onions in to the slow cooker, put your beef on top, add the rest of the onions on top of that.
(I like to toss in a bit lot of garlic and sometimes a splash of balsamic here)
-Throw in whatever spices strike your fancy
-Add enough beer to almost cover everything

Wait many hours, 4 or 5 on high works for me, longer on low probably. During this time, drink the rest of the beer you bought.

Eat.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My mom made dinner tonight which consisted of rice, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cream of mushroom soup, cream of something soup, and some water thrown in a slow cooker. She's normally pretty good so I don't know what happened, but I died a little on the inside.

Also how the gently caress do I knead dough without it feeling like this:

Or is that just the price to pay for fresh bread products?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
That makes sense. Additionally, is there any way to keep it from sticking to my hands so much? I tried making the puri you linked in the doro wat thread and mixing that poo poo up was a nightmare (totally worth it after they were done though).

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I am addicted to chinese buns. I think the real name for the ones I mean is baozi. (They're filled with pork or beef but also some sweet options) How do I make these wondrous things at home?

Something like this:
http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dsc_9064_550.jpg

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
drat I always forget about the wiki.

That looks awesome, thanks!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Having an Indian food night tonight at my friend's place tonight and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion/recommendation for a paneer-based curry? I was thinking maybe mutter paneer but please feel free to regale me with tales of amazing paneer curry.

Actually, just regale me with tales of curry. Curry owns.

Paneer snype:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Anyone have a favourite recipe for beef stew? Preferably one that includes beer because cooking with booze is half the fun.

I'm currently thinking something with potatoes, carrots, probably celery, beer, chicken stock because I don't have any beef stock, thyme, S+P of course, and not sure what else. Essentially a thick beefy winter stew.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Thanks for the suggestions! I probably should have used some more root veggies but I was finishing up poo poo in the fridge :v:

Ended up doing the wine thing Wiggles suggested, and also adding onions because onions own. It is merrily cooking away while I, uh, make sure the wine is good.

Stealth edit: That grating idea sounds awesome and I will probably do that at some point.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Dante18907 posted:

I think this is part of my problem. I just put it on full force and off I go. I think this also contributed to my teflon pan getting hosed. I've been experimenting with using lower heats but I really just dont have any idea what I am doing, what food needs what heat etc.

Figuring out exactly what heat to set your stove to will come with experience (and figuring out exactly how your stove behaves), but for reference pretty much the only time i set a burner to a high level is when I'm searing the poo poo out of a steak or bringing a pot to a boil.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So related to cooking style wankfests, I'll be doing steaks for 6-8 people soon and we can't use milk-based products so I can't finish sous vide steaks in a pan with butter. Pan and herbs are of course fine and oil is fine but butter is a no go. Margarine ok? Suck it up and use butter? Stop being a wanker and use a grill that can only take 3 steaks at a time?

The wanky answer is a blowtorch or a searzall :v:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Toast posted:

Amateur, you should buy a new stove too.

A true chef has a different stove for each dish.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

kinmik posted:

Don't know whether to put this in YLLS or here. If my friend sneaks high fiber vegetables into her roommate's food, will he finally stop straining fit to burst every time he goes to take a poo poo? She's seriously worried they'll find him keeled over on the can. This is a guy who only eats frozen poo poo and take out.

Tell him to start taking metamucil or something, jesus.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Yeah, shittons of veg is the only low carb option if you don't want to subsist on meat and multivitamins. Look into new ways to cook a favourite vegetable, and don't be afraid to make multiple veg dishes for one meal.

Check out some vegetarian/vegan blogs or books for inspiration if you need ideas.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Aren't cajeta and dulce de leche just different names for the same thing?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

The Bananana posted:

I think the difference is cajeta is a darker brown, and also made from goats milk.

A quick google leads me to see that cajeta is indeed goat (or half goat and half cow milk), and dulce de leche is all cow milk. Except sometimes they are called by either name :v:

I for one can't really taste a difference and they are both delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
It sounds like you're going to be best off with the protein/vegetable plan. I'm incredibly loving lazy like 90% of the time and doing a hunk of meat with some simple seasonings, then tossing in some par-boiled veg to finish in the pan beside the meat is super easy and offers a lot of variety.

I'm going to say the biggest helper to you is going to be planning meals a few days/ a week in advance. If you have fresh stuff on hand I find it's easier to get to cooking. Instead of "ok poo poo i forgot to defrost the meat this morning and I have no fresh veg, what the hell do i eat" it's "I have chicken, salmon, asparagus, green beans, and broccoli that need to be eaten in the next few days, which two do I want".

Also, simple soups should be pretty easy, you should post what the soup was and why it sucked, and we can help!