Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Last night I bought a 3 lbs whole chicken and a dutch oven. Tonight I plan on combining these two. I figured I would coat the outside with salt, pepper, and olive oil, throw chopped up onions and potatoes around it in the dutch and then cook it. Anything else I should be doing with it? Also, since I've never roasted an entire chicken before, what's a good way to tell they are done (assuming I don't have a meat thermometer)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
When you say under the skin, do you mean inside the cavity of the chicken? Any spices you would recommend? This could give me a chance to check out one of the nearby halal grocery stores or the Mexican grocery a few miles away.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm on a bean or lentil and rice diet for a bit still (yay moving to a new more expensive city), fortunately with the occasional splurge of chicken thighs, and I'm getting a little sick of the flavor. I switched things up for a bit using bacon (diced two strips and mix it in with the peas and beans/lentils) which worked wonders for a bit. I've tried adding cumin or chinese five spice, but now I'm getting a little tired of those flavors. Any recommendations on seasonings that work well with beans?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I picked up soft pork sausage from the asian market this week. Any recommendations for them? Otherwise they're probably just going to wind up in a frying pan with onions and garlic and served over rice (which I'm sure is still going to be delicious because pork fat)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations for a first Italian cook book? I'm getting sick of recipe sites (and the ads, javascript popups asking if I love food and want to give them my e-mail, lovely autoplay videos and all that) and just want to drop some money on a decent cook book.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Not really. Just trying to branch out from the Japanese food and variations on bachelor chow that I tend to cook currently.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
It can help to go and quickly mix the rice after the rice cooking clicks off cook mode.

Also, I'm a little surprised everyone is saying 1:1 as such a strong generic rule. For the medium grain Japanese rice I normally cook it's closer to 1.5:1 water to rice.

EDIT: Just watched the ratio video. 1.5:1 is closer to my experience because I am usually cooking a single serving at a time. Makes sense.

Another thing that can help get rid of crispy bits from your rice cooker is making sure to rinse off excess start on your rice before cooking.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 14, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Lidia kept a person as a literal slave and profited from Batalis sexual assaults so maybe don’t give her your money

Not sure I can think of anything more authentically Roman.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
For something that's basically a pasta carbonara is there any hope for reheating left overs? Or should I just take this a lesson to leave the final steps pouring the egg+cheese mixture over hot noodles until the day I want to eat leftovers.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Super stupid question but... why is it that I can't seem to cook anything in my oven or stove top without smoking out my apartment? Food comes out fine, nothing burnt or overcooked but it seems like I set my smoke detector off nearly 50% of the time I cook. Am I just cooking on too hot a stove top even though my food it coming out fine? Using the wrong fat in my skillet?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Izakaya and The Japanese Kitchen are the ones I have, they're good. justonecookbook.com is a good online resource too.

Seconding justonecookbook.com. Justhungry.com is nice. Also, search youtube for Cooking With Dog, endearing and can give you ideas for dinner.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My other question is about equipment. My primary cooking station, besides the fire pit, is a propane camping stove.

Propane stoves get real hot even when the flame is as low as possible. I've burned a lot of stuff before because it cooked way faster than I expected. I have a nice cast iron pan, as well as some other cast iron that I need to reseason. Is cast iron still the way to go here or should I look out for some cheap but thick aluminum or similar? I would be worried about aluminum just burning through.

One heads up in case you try to evolve your cooking kit: don't use one of those backpacker quick boil stoves. The heat it too high and focus for even cast iron to distribute well.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
This weekend I was thinking about trying out coq au vin for dinner but I'm seeing so much variation in the recipes. Can anyone point me to a solid one?

Also, thoughts on bacon for lardons?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

miso never goes bad

This. I have a thing of miso paste from.... 2 years ago. Still going strong for some kick rear end miso soup whenever I want.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I am making coq au vin. My cast iron dutch oven I set the chicken set it seems to have contributed a very metallic taste to the sauce. Anything I can do to remove the metallic taste? I've got about 20 minutes before the sauce is supposed to be ready.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

pile of brown posted:

For future reference long cooks with acidic liquids are contraindicated for unenameled cast iron.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson. I'm thinking of tossing out my dutch oven and replacing it with an enameled one cause of this sort of thing.

EDIT: I'm so pissed because the sauce is *amazing* until you get to the metallic after taste.

captkirk fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 15, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone have a good go to dish to pass? I'm going to my parents for easter this Sunday and want to try something different. I was thinking of doing something like asian-y short ribs (miso and soy sauce in the cooking liquid). But that's just because someone brought miso up in this thread recently.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Cooking protip: don't fall asleep while you have wine reducing on the stove. Also, gently caress early morning cooking.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I have short ribs that I seared in a pan but (due to a massive gently caress up on the cooking liquid) I didn't end up braising and instead they went into the fridge. Is it okay to just braise them a day or so later food safety wise?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SubG posted:

Omurice is just an omelette with an accent and you shouldn't approach omelettes as something you have a recipe for, it's something you have techniques for. They're also not trashy or anything like that. Don't feel like you have to apologise for what you want to cook.

Anyway, the only real gimmick with omurice, at least as far as I know, is that you use day-old rice and toast it in some oil before throwing in whatever else you want to add. Which should be just whatever the hell you have on hand, although traditional fried rice combos work well. And once you've cooked your fried rice you dump it into a bowl and kinda compress it into a bowl-shaped lump, which you then invert on a plate, leaving the bowl there while you do the eggs. Which is more or less just straight making an omelette. Only without a bunch of poo poo in it (because all your poo poo it already in the rice). When the eggs are ready, you pull the bowl off the rice like a snooty French waiter revealing a culinary pièce de résistance in a Looney Toon. Then put the eggs on the lump of rice. Done.

If you get tired of omelettes and still have eggs and rice, oyakodon is another good way to go through 'em.

And if you really feel like you need more guidance just search for cooking with dog omurice.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Mark Bittman is a raging piece of poo poo & highly problematic, actually. Don’t buy his books unless you like giving your money to bad men.

In what way is he problematic?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Related to the podcast question is cooking youtube channels. I subscribe to You Suck At Cooking, Binging With Babish, a handle full of Japanese food channels, Sortedfood, and Bon Appetit. Some of these are more about entertainment than the food.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

That's a good list there. Any specific recs on the Japanese ones?

There are a million others, but I just want to shout out that Bong Eats is a fantastic Indian food channel, not anything weed-related. They provide very good novice-friendly instructions, but don't dumb down the recipes/ingredients themselves. You will really need to have an Indian grocer available, or order from Amazon.

The Japanese ones I subscribe to are Cooking with Dog is a classic, Tabi Eats is nice (they do a lot of "lets eat conbini or street food" videos but they also have cooking videos some of which include the creator's mother), No Recipes (the creator has this weird smile and psuedo enthusiasm which is kinda weird), Marion's Kitchen (which is more of just a mostly Asian cooking channel), Just One Cookbook (videos for the similarly named website), and then Chopstick Chronicles which is short time lapsed, un-narrated videos to accompany a recipe blog.

Cooking with Dog and Tabi Eats are the better ones in terms of youtube content, Just One Cookbook is decent but it's just videos that go with the recipes on their website.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What small improvements or purchases for your kitchen have made your life way better than you expected?

So far, a magnetic knife strip and rubber spatulas are my two "holy poo poo, how has my kitchen been without this all my life" things

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Edit: phone double post

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Well soylent is a company that still exists and still sells, so anti cooking people do exist somehow.

I'm not sure the majority of Soylent people are anti-cooking. I know I drank it for a while for the nights where I got home after work and exercising and did not have enough time between getting home and my target bed time to cook, eat, and digest my food before going to sleep.

That said the CEO is a loon and comes off very anti cooking or good food.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations for making bacon-wrapped smokies a little more interesting? I've make them for family gatherings when I'm feeling too lazy to do something more interesting and normally just grab smokies, slice bacon into thirds, wrap each smokey in bacon and then sprinkle it all with brown sugar and cook it the oven until the bacon is done.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone familiar with miso pickling? I've read about it and thought I would give it a try but when doing some googling I found one source that said you need live miso (with active koji still in it). If I have some miso that has lived in my fridge for a few months without going funny, does that mean I have pasteurized miso?

Is live miso really needed for the pickling?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I tried making a fried eggplant recipe from Murimoto's "Japanese Home Cooking" that involve frying 1" egg plant slices in 1/4" of oil. My eggplant came out as a oily mess that most of went into the bin instead of being kept as leftovers.

The recipe said that the eggplant would absorb some oil and then express most of it. I don't think I got the stage where it lets go of the oil it absorbed but I did pull the slices when they had significant browning so I feel like if I left it for longer it would've charred on the outside.

What can I do to not end up with oily gross goop in place of my eggplant?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

poeticoddity posted:

Possibly a dumb question, but since it's a Japanese cookbook...are you using the same type of eggplant that's assumed in the recipe?

I'm not. I was going to use rosa bianca eggplant I picked up from the farmer's market but it went extra squishy before I got around to cooking it. So I ended up using American eggplant. The original recipe called for Japanese eggplant.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's what I would do if I were substituting western eggplant for Asian. I have admittedly not tried it in a long time since I just buy Asian ones.

I did salt the slices for a while to get some moisture out first. I didn't press them though. Maybe the thought "oh this sort has a texture like tofu" should've tipped me off.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I've got some garlic fermenting in honey in a mason jar that I've been burping once or twice a day for the last two weeks. I'm heading out of town for the next 4 days. Should I throw these in the fridge to slow down fermentation while I'm gone or will the mason jar survive the extra few days without attention?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What spices are worth keeping around whole and grinding yourself?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I tend to cook 90% of everything in my non-sticks and only bust out my stainless steel or cast iron for steaks or crisping up prosciutto. Am I basically wasting chances for more flavor by missing the chance to form a fond?

Basically I guess I'm asking for someone to convince me to spend much more of my time cleaning my stainless steel pan.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Here's a question for y'all: how would one gaining an appreciation or at the very least a tolerance for blue cheese?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I did that once with a loaf of banana bread, fortunately it was only in the oven a couple minutes when I realized. I took the pan out of the oven and stirred in the flour as best I could. Actually turned out well, with the chocolate having already melted my stirring it gave the whole thing chocolate flavor throughout.

I dated a girl in college who did this with garbage cookies. She noticed when the first batch just melted into a pool of chocolate and caramel, so she folded that back into the cookie dough with the flour. This became her go to cookie recipe.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
On Saturday I'm going to be cooking steaks for my extended family. I usually do one or two steaks when I cook for myself or for a date but the plan is 10 steaks for dinner. What should I do to keep the first ones warm while I cook the last ones? Warm oven? (That may not work unless I decide not to do twice baked sweet potatoes)

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

How are you cooking them in the first place?

If you don't yet have a SV dildo, this is a great excuse to get one. Cook em all and 90-120 seconds to sear.

Ambitious option: sear two at a time with a variety of spice rubs or sauces and slice them so everyone gets a bite of each kind, progreasionally, kind of like a churrascaria

I normally just salt and pepper, into a hot cast iron, 3 ish minutes aside, add butter and thyme and spoon it over the steaks for a bit.

This would be an awesome time to get an SV dildo if I the occasion for the dinner wasn't "I'm about to jump on a plane to start a new job across the country". The second idea also sounds awesome but I would only try it in my own kitchen. I spend too much time hunting for spices and equipment in my parent's kitchen already.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

this is not a recommended usage and will void your warranty btw

Of the SV dildo or my colon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

angor posted:

It's done. Info to come, but here's a pic for now:

You're a monster.

I assume it had to be chilled up until service to avoid letting the ketchup smell ruin the surprise?