Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It comes with time. Like anything, it's just as much about experience as anything else. The more you cook and the more you learn what goes with what, the greater confidence you'll have in putting things together because you just know they'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

benito posted:

Mushrooms are fungi, and while they taste great, don't contribute much in terms of nutrition.

Are you insane? Mushrooms are really nutritious. Don't disparage my beloved fungus with your mealy-mouthed criticisms!

Even the humble button mushroom is astonishingly good for you. It is high in protein and B vitamins, counting as one of your five a day. It's a source of iron, potassium and selenium, and contains as much antioxidant power (if you believe in that sort of thing) as spinach! Even if you ignore the fact that mushrooms are really good for you, they are also very high in fibre and promote a healthy bowel.

It is irritating when people call them vegetables, though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You can always dry them. A low oven with the door slightly ajar for hours and hours until they are dry.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Why would you salt the ice? That will speed up the melting process. I get that it will get colder quicker, but it will be cold for a shorter amount of time. Won't it? Am I being stupid?

Also, I've taken dry ice on the bus loads of times. No-one has ever cared.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Salt doesn't heat it up, it just lowers the melting point of the water. The water then makes better contact with the vessel, keeping it cold better. How long it stays cold will be a function of the insulation.

Aren't you the science guy?

Yeah, but if the melting point of the ice is lowered, that means that the ice will become water faster. The energy required to turn ice into water is lot more than the energy required to heat up water. This is not a closed system, energy will be coming in, no matter how good the insulation. Therefore, if you want the temperature to be low for a long period of time, it seems to me that you would want to slow down the process of melting the ice. I understand why a salt/ice/water mix is colder, but I don't think it is the solution, as the salt would reduce the longevity of the ice.

That was my thinking, anyway. I am perfectly prepared to admit that I might be wrong.

pnumoman posted:

Time for an experiment I guess?
YES! I don't know that I have sufficient ice available. A properly controlled experiment should be simple enough to carry out. I hypothesise that the salt/ice/water will be colder, but that ice alone will last longer.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I agree. I maintain my original hypothesis, though. The ice alone will take longer to rise above zero than a salt/ice/water mix.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough ice, or a thermometer, so I can't do the experiment today. If no-one has carried it out by tomorrow, I will get the necessary equipment and do it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

heeebrew posted:

I personally care about where my meat comes from. I have no evidence for why I believe this, so if someone wants to step in and educate me, that'd be awesome, but I just get this feeling that they source the meat from farms that don't raise/slaughter their animals in what I would consider to be an ethical, sustainable or responsible manner.

Is that because you're a racist? Otherwise, I can't see why you'd think that with no evidence for your belief.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Three days in the fridge should be absolutely fine. Smell it. If it smells alright, it's good to eat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

Drinking alone is no fun :(

I know I'm late to comment, but this is a myth. Drinking alone is perfectly fine. A good glass of wine at the end of a hard day of work is one of the greatest pleasures imaginable, and it doesn't matter if you're alone.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kenning posted:

Same with a chilly glass of stout or nip of bourbon.

I think you mean room temperature.

:britain:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Oil the skin, and plonk into a hot dry pan. Leave until the skin goes crispy. About five minutes is usually fine in my experience, but it's been a while, so take that with a pinch of salt. Serve on top of something.

Possibly over a chorizo and bean stew. Or mashed potato with plenty of cream, some peas and your parsley sauce. Or whatever you fancy.

If your heart is really set on poaching it, remove the skin first.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Gerblyn posted:

I'm not really sure what I want, so I'll try this. Thanks!

Let us know how it goes, post pictures. A good pan-fried fillet of fish is a beautiful sight to behold.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Your easiest option is to get a whipped cream dispenser (iSi and the like). Then you can mix it in the can ahead of time and dispense a la minute.

Isn't the easiest option to overwhip it (slightly)? I've overwhipped cream accidentally but stopped before it was butter, and it was OK...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'd eat them.

Why marinade frozen steaks, though? I'd have thought that would be a waste of time.

Edit: Specifically because they were frozen, not because I'm some sort of marinade-hater.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made these canapés a while ago and they were pretty amazing. I think there were between twenty and thirty canapés per recipe. I've gone into way more detail than you probably need, because I just copied and pasted from my recipe folder. When I made them, I made them quite a while in advance and they didn't seem to suffer for it.

Caraway crispbreads with roasted beetroot and hummus

Crispbreads:
125g flour
2tbsp olive oil
˝ tsp salt
6tbsp water
2 tsp ground caraway seeds

Mix the flour, caraway and salt.
Rub in the oil
Add the water and mix to firm dough
Divide in two and knead each half on a lightly floured surface
Roll into a thin sheet
Cut into 3.5cm squares and place onto a lightly greased baking sheet
Prick each square well
Bake at 180 for 15m or until lightly browned
Cool on wire racks

Roasted beetroot:
3 tennis ball sized beetroot

Wash and pat dry with kitchen roll
Cut away the leaves, leaving approximately 2cm of stalk
Place in a large roasting dish, cover in oil and roast for 45m at 180°C
Leave to cool, rub the skin off with kitchen roll and slice

Hummus:
200g canned chickpeas
Juice of half a lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
100ml tahini
4tbsp water
2tbsp olive oil
A pinch of salt
1tsp paprika
Drain the chickpeas and rinse
Combine with lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini and blend to a smooth paste

Assemble the canapés by putting a dollop of hummus on the crispbread and top with a slice of beetroot

Crab cakes:
2cm fresh root ginger, peeled and minced
2 red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
250g white crabmeat
1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 eggs
8tbsp breadcrumbs
Plain flour, for dusting
25ml olive oil

Combine the crab, ginger, chilli, spring onion, coriander, one egg and 4tbsp bread crumbs
Divide the mixture into ten equal patties and and chill for 20m
In separate bowls, put the flour, remaining bread crumbs and a beaten egg
Dredge a crab cake, then dip into the egg, then coat in breadcrumbs
Shake gently to remove excess breadcrumbs
Fry the crab cakes in oil for 2-3m on each side, or until crisp and golden
Bake for 5-10m at 180°C

No assembly required

Crostini with goats cheese and red onion marmalade:

Crostini:
1 thin white baguette
Light olive oil

Slice the baguette into 5mm thick rounds and brush with olive oil
Bake for 5m at 180°C

Red onion marmalade:
25ml olive oil
500g red onion
125g soft brown sugar
75ml red wine vinegar

Heat the olive oil and fry the red onion for about 8m until soft and translucent
Add the sugar and stir until it melts in
Add the vinegar and stir until it reaches a jam like consistency, which will take about 45m
Assemble the canapés by spreading about 10g of soft goats cheese on the crostini, topped with a dollop of red onion marmalade

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make scrambled eggs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Burgers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just add some salt. Are you so slavishly keen on authenticity that you're not prepared to use your brain when following a recipe? Even if Indian food were traditionally bland (it's not), if you think something needs salt, add salt. There's no point in sticking exactly to a recipe if you don't like the end result.

Edit: The only reason I can think of is that you want to brag about how authentic a dish is. Which is pointless, especially when it comes to curry. Curry recipes are entirely mutable, that's half the fun of them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yehudis Basya posted:

My plan:
- the King Arthur recipe for baguette
- the same goat cheese the restaurant used (locally prepared, yeah!)
- fresh basil chopped to pieces
- peppers
But how do I prepare the basil and peppers? Will raw basil be overpowering or do I put it over heat? And, um, are roasted peppers typically bell peppers just cut into strips and then covered in olive oil and some magic array of spices? Help me goons, I must be able to make this dish!

Raw basil is fine, don't do anything to it. Tradition states that you shouldn't cut it, but tear it. As for the peppers, the best thing to do is to put them on an open flame, like this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

As far as I understand it, isn't steak sauce just brown sauce? Like HP or daddies? It's not meant to taste of steak, but to go with steak. Just like "seafood sauce" isn't made of seafood, but is supposed to go with it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You are a very silly individual. Brown sauce is lovely, and just the thing with a fry-up. Bacon, sausage, black pudding, haggis, fried eggs, hashed browns, grilled tomatoes, fried mushrooms and fried slice are all immeasurably enhanced by the judicious application of a dollop of HP.

I do agree that brown sauce and steak is a travesty, though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

RazorBunny posted:

My mom just called me and left a voicemail lecturing me about using swear words on my food blog :rolleyes:

She wants me to "sanitize" it so she can give the link to some kid she knows, I guess it's a friend's kid? I'm really tempted to tell her to go to hell.

Tell her that she's a braindead oval office for not using the superb word "bowdlerise" in its proper motherfucking context.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yehudis Basya posted:

dumped...whirrred away into yumminess.

This is your problem. If you dump all the ingredients into a blender and expect it to whir away into mayonnaise, it will fail if you get the proportions even slightly wrong. It takes a tiny bit more time, but doing it properly works much more often.

By properly, I mean that you whisk up the eggs yolks, garlic and mustard and keep whisking as you very slowly add the oil. When the mayonnaise starts to thicken (after you've added about half your expected oil volume) add the acid. Then, keep whisking and trickle in more oil. When it gets really thick and mayonnaise-y, you're done! You may have to add more or less of the oil than you expected, but it will actually work and be mayonnaise.

Not only does this way work every time (because it takes into account variations in measurements and sizes), but you will become a better cook for doing it. Making mayonnaise is one of the things that makes you realise that your senses are the best test in the kitchen, that you should rely on knowing how things look, smell, feel and taste more than how a recipe says things should be done.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yehudis Basya posted:

you missed the part about where I used an immersion blender. You don't have to slowly add the oil in when you use one of those things.
No, I didn't. I was just using "whisk" as shorthand. You should still add the oil slowly, because if you don't you can end up with too much liquid.

Putting everything in a bowl and blitzing it with a blender is not a good way of doing mayonnaise, a notoriously tricky and sensitive thing. A bit of finesse and patience will serve you better, and your mayo will work every time.

Yehudis Basya posted:

I just don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm some monkey-see-monkey-do-must-follow-recipe pod person.
And there's no need to get defensive, I didn't mean to imply you were an idiot.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CrystalRose posted:

Refreezing Question

My landlord showed up yesterday with a bunch of frozen pork for me and my husband. He raises pigs and had some butchered a few weeks back. The pork was frozen. Since it was frozen together I had to let the whole thing thaw. I cooked about half of it tonight, but I still have uncooked pork left. I know you are not supposed to refreeze meet after it’s thawed but I don’t want to leave it in my fridge for too long. Can I cook it and then freeze it? It's already been in my fridge, thawed, for 24hrs. I really don’t want this to go to waste!

How did you thaw it? If you thawed it in the fridge, you can refreeze it raw. If not, you definitely can't and have to cook it up before you freeze it again.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jose posted:

Does anyone have a good jerk chicken recipe? I've had a look at a few online and they all vary by quite a bit

I found online recipes so inconsistent that I asked my Jamaican step-grandmother. This is my recipe, with which you must play fast and loose. It's not set in stone by any means, and I usually use more or less of each ingredient depending on my mood and who I'm cooking it for.

2 spring onions, chopped
4 chillies, minced
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
˝ tsp ground allspice
˝ tsp ground ginger
˝ tsp ground cinnamon
2 chicken legs

Blend all the ingredients together, and rub onto the chicken:

Leave for at least 20m, up to a few hours.

Roast at 180 for 45m.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Good call with the scotch bonnet. If/when I can get my hands on them, I usually use one per two chicken legs, so you're bang on as far as I'm concerned.

There's really no need to leave it overnight, as it's more of a rub than a marinade, but as long as you keep it refrigerated I don't see a problem.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I usually just eat it with rice and peas, but sometimes I'll make deep fried plantain chips to go with it. The last time it was cooked for me, it was also served with callaloo, but I have no idea how to cook that!

EDIT: Actually, most of the time the only accompaniment I have with it is a bottle of beer.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Whenever I'm cooking bacon for anymore than myself, I grill (broil?) it. A few minutes each side and it's done, crispy and delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I made I-tal stew on Saturday (totally inauthentically using chicken stock) and it's been in the fridge since. Smells fine, but my wife and I disagree over its safety. I say it's good, because it smells OK, but she says chicken stock in the fridge for four days is bad. If it makes a difference, the chicken stock was freshly made on Saturday morning.

What's the verdict?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Because shipping to the UK is expensive, Plastic Jesus is going to be sending Amazon vouchers for my copy of Larousse Gastronomique. Which is the best edition to get?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Here are the two I've got bookmarked:

Jerkstore's thread

Dunkman's thread

Edit: :argh: Damnit!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Phummus posted:

When flipping the scallops, you should flip them onto a 'clean' section of the pan. Don't flip them over in place, as that part of the pan is colder than the surrounding area, and the 2nd side will stick more.

Ahahahaha, loving Hell! It's so simple! I've always wondered why my scallops stick after they're flipped. Phummus, you've changed my life.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ron Jeremy posted:

Beef stew tonight. The recipe calls for parsley. Do I use flat leaf or the garnish tree looking poo poo?

Doesn't matter in the slightest.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The best thing is to jump straight in at the deep end. Next time you get the opportunity, order Andouillette. Don't ask what it is, just order it and eat it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You're right. I should have prefaced that statement with "go to Paris".

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

I just bought some squid ink linguine. Made a couple spoonfuls of it and it tastes very faintly of seafood, like roe.

What would be good to throw on top of this?

Do this:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dane posted:

Mother in law accidentally defrosted a venison roast and pushed it on me, but it's hot as hell, and I don't feel like doing anything like a traditional game roast. Any suggestions?

Chili. It's always time for chili.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Alien Teacher posted:

I'm looking through the other threads currently for ideas but I just got a 6 quart crockpot and am eager to use it for something besides briskets. Any suggestions for a bean dish, stew, or otherwise simple recipe to start out with?

Scientastic posted:

Chili. It's always time for chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I tried to make Hot Cross Buns from this recipe the other day and they were OK-ish, but nothing special. A bit heavy and the crosses were crunchy, not soft.

Does anyone have a good, works-every-time recipe for Hot Cross Buns?

Was it an error to make them slightly smug "non-denominational Spring festival buns" with letters on them? Do they only work if you have God on your side?