Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Doom Rooster posted:

Egg white raft method seems like the obvious choice.

My concern there is that it will make the drink cloudy when citrus is added. I haven’t ever been able to completely remove the egg white.

I think I’ll try it if the freezing doesn’t work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Weltlich posted:

My general opinion is that anyone who dislikes lots of garlic is a defective person to begin with.

Quite so.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

nwin posted:

It’s soap and salmonella all over everything-they’ll just cancel each other out.

At first reading, I thought this was another wing sauce recommendation

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would suggest you should just eat some, on a peppery biscuit, with a bit of pickled walnut and a glass of port. As long as the thought doesn’t make you feel physically ill, just keep at it and you’ll like it.

I taught myself to like coffee just by deciding I needed to like it and drinking a cup every day even though I didn’t like it, until I did.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Butterfly Valley posted:

Calling blue cheese bleu cheese is one of the stupidest and most pretentiously wrong things the American language has done imho

This is very treu

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Let’s all mock poor Scottish people for cooking something hearty and warming, lol who doesn’t have time after slaving away on the moors all day to brown their meat and use paprika?

Not to say the recipe couldn’t be improved, but when you’ve been outdoors in loving Scotland all day, you care more that your food is hot and filling than anything else. I’ve had stovies just like that quite a few times, and I’ve enjoyed them every time because I’ve been knackered and frozen and they’ve filled/warmed me up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the british are very defensive about their bland

Hotdish

Many cultures have a “bland” dish or two, I dare you to go to Scotland and eat haggis and tell the bekilted claymore-wielding lunatics surrounding you that their food is boring

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pile of brown posted:

Rather than starting by blending up a bunch of weird poo poo (cauliflower? Really?) Why don't you start with a smoothie that you enjoy drinking and slowly add more nutritious ingredients? As long as you don't go apeshit with sweeteners eating whole fruits and vegetables is still better than a drive thru meal.

This is actually great advice. Start with something that’s pretty good, and add some kaons greenery. Once you think it’s just as good, add a bit more. Keep going, gradually adding until you have tricked your tastebuds into thinking it’s the same as the carrot/apple/beetroot smoothie you started with.

You’ll be drinking bright green leaf juice in no time!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

smoking in my pizza oven

Sorry, maybe a stupid question, but what is the source of your fire? If it’s wood or coals, you could try letting it die down before you start the smoking process: I’ve had some success smoking things on my barbecue with charcoal, and it’s not large enough that I can put in a water barrier, so I just bank the coals and let them burn for a while, then put the soaked chip on top in foil trays, which creates enough smoke to smoke things, but not so much what that everything dries out...

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

Can you overdo spices in a marinade?

Yes you can, I have gone overboard with marinades in the past where I have had more spices than meat/vegetables and it’s just been a bit unpalatable

Qubee posted:

1tsp cumin, and the rest were all like 1/2 a tsp or less

But you don’t have anything to worry about with such small quantities

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I generally just chuck in whatever spices I fancy and it usually turns out OK. My wife says I use too much cumin, but she’s wrong: I use exactly the right amount of cumin every time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

maybe 1/3 of the stuff in there is actually distinguishable in the marinade and you can pare it down pretty quick

I’m not sure I agree with this, I think you get a lot of depth from lots of different spices, and they all bring something to the party

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

1. I’ve become a big fan of making limoncello and other citrus infused vodka liqueurs...

2. My wife really likes amaretto.

These two facts have led me to the idea that I might try to make a batch of amaretto, but all of the recipes I can find online suggest mixing vodka and almond extract, which strikes me as not quite the thing. Has anyone got any ideas how I can take almond and vodka and get amaretto?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

Seems like it might be more trouble than worth given the price of amaretto (in the USA at least).

No, that’s perfect, that’s exactly what I want, thanks!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

barkbell posted:

I know there is no way to get an accurate measurement but I was wondering if there was just an okay way to estimate.

Get PretentiousFood in here to do a BCA assay on various types of stock.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

spankmeister posted:

I threw out a Hershey's bar the other day because I couldn't get past the graininess and puke flavor of it. How do you gently caress chocolate up so bad?

Here is a really interesting article about why Hershey’s tastes like sick.

In essence, it’s to do with milk preservation and getting it into GI’s field rations during the war.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's faint though

It most definitely isn’t faint: anyone I’ve ever met who isn’t American tastes it instantly and hates it. I think Americans are just really used to it, to the point where some prefer it to the taste of what people in Europe say is the superior product.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

A dehydrator

I think it was the fan motor

You’re probably now some sort of superhero. DryMan?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I have a recipe that calls for a mango/jalapeno chutney. What would be a good replacement for the mango? First thing that came to mind for me was peaches but good luck getting good ones this time of year.

It’s not raw mango, it’s mango chutney. Depending on location, you should be able to pick this up in the supermarket.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All measurements are poo poo, eyeball everything

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Pound of lamb is the most co2 producing commonly sold pound of meat

Long pig is the best, every single one you eat has a positive impact on global CO2 production

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dry them in the oven and make chilli oil

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve always found the Smeg fridges very strange. Who wants to store their milk in smeg?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

tuyop posted:

My wife brought home some gourds from a non-gourd-related conference. I assume they’re food? What should I do with them? Just like peel them and cook them like any other squash?

Yes. I like to roast them with cumin and thyme.

I made a particular good soup out of a random selection of gourds and squashes I got from the community farm the other day.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use thighs when I make fajitas, I just slice them up and fry them on a high heat with a load of spices.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My mother is coming to visit on Sunday, and on a whim I swapped the chicken I had in my shopping trolley for a duck.

I want to roast it and have it with the usual winter vegetables, but has anyone got any protips for how to get the best out of it?

I don’t have a sous vide.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SABRAGE!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Use your fingers to separate the skin from the breasts, cover the whole bird in streaky bacon, roast on a bed of large dice mirepoix, roast at 180 for about an hour and a half for a normal sized chicken.

Put the bacon in a bowl for your guests to add to their plates as they see fit, let the chicken rest for twenty minutes while you make gravy with the juices and mirepoix.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 21, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mezzanon posted:

onion soup mix

:confused:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Bold Beautiful Women

:ghost: Barbewooooooooooo :ghost:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I mixed a load of stewed and blended sour plums with gin once, and it definitely made that various food more delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EmmyOk posted:

I scrolled through on the app there and didn’t spot one but is there a general baking thread? Few questiosn about starting baking and trying to find the right thread, apologies if I missed it folks as I am stupid as poo poo.

Baking bread? That’d be Rise To Me

Otherwise, I think you’re SOL, but you can just ask here

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 3, 2020