Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't know if people missed my question at the end of the last page, or if no-one has an answer, but I thought I'd just try asking again, seeing as Easter is almost here!

Scientastic posted:

I tried to make Hot Cross Buns from this recipe the other day and they were OK-ish, but nothing special. A bit heavy and the crosses were crunchy, not soft.

Does anyone have a good, works-every-time recipe for Hot Cross Buns?

Was it an error to make them slightly smug "non-denominational Spring festival buns" with letters on them? Do they only work if you have God on your side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Casu Marzu posted:

I've never had a good hot cross bun. They've always been kinda dense and bland.

Then again, the midwest is kinda dense and bland, so maybe that's why they came out that way.

I feel sorry for you. Hot cross buns are amazing! I don't know what they're like in America, but a good one over here is sticky and spiced and delicious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Drink and Fight posted:

Yeah, halal market, definitely not pork. I have no idea what veal tastes like. Guess I'll just find out.

It looks really like veal shin. You should use it to make osso bucco, because that's what veal shin is for.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edit: Probably in poor taste for this thread.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Phummus posted:

Actually in poor taste in general.

Yeah, I don't really know what I was thinking. Sorry!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

scuz posted:

This is all relevant to my next question.

Got my oven replaced today (:woop: ) and I wanna bake a Weight Watchers-friendly cake. I've seen the old box-of-cake-mix-and-diet-soda trick, but there's GOTTA be a better WAY!

Is that a cake that adheres to the Weight-watchers guidelines, or a cake that Weight-watchers want to be friends with?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The SARS Volta posted:

Suggestions welcome for either pan searing or grilling, marinades or otherwise.

Niçoise!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Make sure you turn on the captioning.

"Polo shirts non-smoking" was the best one

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think you should probably make this. It sounds excellent, and there's definitely prosciutto in there somewhere.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It'll be absolutely fine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does anyone know where I can buy mustard greens in the UK?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Farmer's market? Produce section at the grocery store? Growing wild in the fields? It's a pretty common thing.

You'd think so, but I have been entirely unable to find any anywhere. Supermarkets don't sell it, I couldn't find any at the greengrocer and the Thai market down the road doesn't stock it. I can't even find it online, except in seed form. Which I obviously don't have time for.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is Kai Choy the same thing?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I make quite a lot of pies and in my experience they're pretty hard to mess up.

1) If you're not putting any potatoes, a good way to make the gravy a bit thicker is to dust your meat in cornflour before you brown it.
2) Too wet is a big problem, but too dry isn't usually an issue. The meat juices usually make the filling a nice thick stew.
3) I don't normally blind bake anything. I think a pie should a delicious, but reasonably low effort thing.

Beef, ale and mushroom is my favourite.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I think you're going to have to buy another cut of meat. Brisket really isn't suited to kebabs. It's not necessarily about dryness, the meat will just be incredibly tough.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ColHannibal posted:

Let marinade at least 24 hours if you don't want to be eating a shoe.

The marinading isn't what makes it soft, it's the slow cooking.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've just got a new meatgrinder (thanks to Cazu Marzu!) and I was wondering what I should do first. My wife thinks it's loving stupid, so I want something that's impressively delicious and makes it obvious that home ground meat is better than shop bought, but is also relatively easy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I accidently left my carton of eggs out overnight. Maybe from 11 or so until about 1130ish this afternoon. Am I going to die if I eat one??

Not at all. It's a weird myth that eggs need to be refrigerated.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

preferably with a low-carb bent?

Uh-oh...

My brother recently bought Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Veg Everyday" book, and he swears by it. I've had a quick look through it and, although its tone can be a bit preachy, the recipes are very good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Put the green tomatoes in a paper bag with a banana. That'll ripen them right up.

Alternatively, you could make tomato chutney with the green tomatoes.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ShadyNasty posted:

Is switching mains a good move?

YES. Don't cook something so boring as a ragu. It's delicious, but unexciting for a date.

Cook this delicious seafood pasta recipe. Quick, easy, but impressive.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bonzo posted:

What the hell can I use corn flour for? My wife bought it thinking it was corn meal.

Make a non-Newtonian fluid!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there any reason you can't freeze unused wine? If you're using it for cooking, I can't see the harm in freezing an ice cube tray of wine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm looking after my parents plants while they're away on holiday and I've got loads of cucumbers that need using. What can I use them with? They're not really fat enough to be deseeded if thats important to the recipe

Drink a lot of Pimms and eat a lot of cucumber sandwiches. Perfect British summertime stuff.

Edit: I've had iced cucumber soup before, and it's very nice. But I don't have a reliable recipe to hand, I'm afraid.

Edit edit: This recipe sounds quite interesting, though.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 25, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

If I'm stuck for ideas, I tend to use BBC food for inspriration. It's got quite a lot of dross from Ready, Steady, Cook, but it's also got a lot of fantastic recipes. And it never uses "cups" as a measurement.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

For a Summery dessert, you can't really get much better than Summer Pudding. The hint's in the name.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

Esp true for beans. Unless you like sitting around waiting for beans that take twice as long as they should.

Osmosis?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

LongSack posted:

My mom's family has a recipe for beef stew.

That is a terrible "recipe". Stew of any kind is seriously easy to do and there is no need to resort to such lovely shortcuts and nauseating convenience food.

Recipes aren't really right for this sort of thing, just guidelines: Flour some beef, brown it, throw in some vegetables that you happen to have lying around, cover with beef stock and red wine, cook until done.

I just got back from France, and we had a chicken stew like this, where we decided on what vegetables to use by going into the garden and digging them up, and because we didn't have any chicken stock knocking about, just poured in a bottle of red wine. And it was great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Phummus posted:

Agree and disagree.
To claim that recipes aren't right for a stew is plain hubris.

I didn't mean to claim that there is never any need for a recipe for stew, more that you don't need a recipe to make something delicious. My point wasn't that a recipe MUST NEVER BE USED, more that good quality ingredients and a bit of care will always taste better than a recipe of rubbish.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vlex posted:

Pulled pork fried rice.

Insane enough to work, or just insane?
                                                /

Actually, I think pulled pork fried rice could be very nice, it just sounded a bit like something you'd find at his stupid restaurant.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

I dunno. I generally don't like wasting food and eggwashes are pretty wasteful when used just for glazing the top of a baked thing. Most of it goes down the drain. vOv

Are you saying that you can't think of anything to do with a bowl of beaten eggs?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

eggwash is more than eggs.

I never bother making it with anything other than beaten egg.

My point still stands: Even if you add milk to it, you can save it for scrambled eggs, or something, surely? It seems silly to avoid eggwashing things for fear of wasting something you can easily use elsewhere.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grand Fromage posted:

Could homemade mayo be frozen without loving up everything? I would like to try making some but even if I only do one yolk's worth there's no way I'm going to use that much mayo in a week.

Use it to make something nice and invite friends round to eat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jmcrofts posted:

What if, hypothetically, I didn't own a ricer?

Buy a ricer. Seriously. My ricer is one of the best things I use in the kitchen.

If you don't want to add loads of fat, but still want mashed potato without any parsnip adulteration, you can use semi-skimmed milk or crème fraîche.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Does anyone have a reasonably good recipe for chili that isn't spicy? I know that that's probably blasphemy, but I'm a complete wimp who can barely handle spice.

This is the rough recipe I use (minus the chillies):

500g stewing steak
800g pork ribs
3 tins of tomatoes
3 onions
3 tins of beans (I like one of each of kidney beans, black eyed beans and pinto beans)
Lots of garlic
Lots of cumin

Brown the meat in small batches
Deglaze the pan with the chopped onions and fry for a few minutes
Chuck in the garlic and cumin and fry for a few minutes
Chuck in the meat
Chuck in the tomatoes
Stew for a few days
Remove the pork bones
Add the beans

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grand Fromage posted:

I have a friend who has never had real Italian food before, only terrible Asian versions of it. I'd like to do one northern and one southern dish but I don't really know anything about northern Italian food. What are some good basic dishes? I'll probably do something seafood and tomato for the southern one so a contrast would be nice.

It's not that far North, but you can't go wrong with a good carbonara.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

whooping crane posted:

Also, I refuse to put tomatoes in my guacamole.

Why's that? I like tomatoes in guacamole.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ChetReckless posted:

Getting a proper thermometer was a big revelation for me. I never have to poke or squeeze or cut open or compare colours or whatever to tell if something is finished cooking - I just get the temp and I know instantly. The only tough part was getting used to finding the 'right spot' (the coolest spot) to measure.

This is the exact opposite of how I feel you should tell if something is cooked. Am I a hopeless Luddite?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Has anyone got a good recipe for borscht? By good, I don't necessarily mean it has to be absolutely authentic, but amazing. I am planning on having it as part of a Christmas dinner for a few members of my family, so it has to impress.

And yes, I know it's October, but I want to practice it a few times to get it perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

me your dad posted:

Homemade chicken stock question - the recipes I'm finding call for a large amount of carcasse (2-4lb). I've got one, from a medium sized bird (I guess) and I don't know how many pounds it was. It's typical of what you might get from a rotisserie chicken.

Can anyone give me an idea of measurements to go along with this?

Whenever I make stock, I tend to just throw it together with whatever I've got in the flat at the time. You don't need to be super-precise to make good stock. I usually go with something along the following lines:

Dice a leek or an onion, a carrot and a stalk of celery if you have it. We never have celery, because my wife can't abide it.

Fry these on a low heat in some of the chicken fat, then break the bones of the chicken into the pan and fry for a bit more. Then throw in a couple of bay leaves, a few peppercorns and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. After a few minutes of gentle frying, cover with boiling water, and leave to simmer with the lid on for a few hours.

If the stock isn't concentrated enough, or there's simply too much of it, take the lid off after this time and simmer until it reduces. Strain and allow to cool, then freeze in batches for use whenever you need it.