Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When moving my fiance out of her summer sublet, we took all of her sublettor's alcohol (he was moving out anyway), which included half a bottle each of white wine, red wine, and Jameson whiskey. The wines are probably past being drinkable, so any ideas on how I could cook with them? Any suggestions on how to cook or drink with the whiskey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So tonight my mom tells me she wants my fiancee and I to bring an appetizer for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. I've never been one for making appetizers but I also figure that the traditional Thanksgiving sides will be covered so I have room to be creative. What would you do in my shoes?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

Take a round of brie, slather some pumpkin butter or jelly pepper over the top of it and maybe some crushed pecans, wrap it up in a puff pastry, place whole pecans on the pastry to help delineate the slices you'll make, and then bake it.

:allears:

This is like a week late but :lol: We almost did this without me even seeing your post. World of Beer has a similar appetizer with honey drizzled on top and no puff pastry, the first time my fiancee and I had it we wrote down their menu description so we could make it ourselves later. I had totally forgotten about it until Thanksgiving day when we were walking around the store trying to come up with something to make. Pepper jelly sounds interesting, I'll have to try that next.

Any good, miscellaneous uses for tomato paste? Every time I need it in a recipe it only asks for a couple tablespoons at most, but the smallest can I can find is 6oz. This leads to a lot of me opening the can, taking one scoop out, then forgetting about for a couple weeks until it gets moldy. With what random stuff can I incorporate tomato paste?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Tip I got from some magazine: measure it out in tablespoons, freeze on a plate, transfer to Ziploc bags. Sometimes you need to adjust timing to give it time to thaw fully but it basically works fine.

Holy poo poo that's a great idea, thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After months of semi-joking to my fiancee about wanting one, my dream of owning a mortar & pestle has finally come true. Now what do I do with it? I was thinking a whole lot of grinding my own spice mixes, from whole seeds or stuff like dried chilis. Any other ideas?

E: Sorry, it's granite with a bowl of ~3 inches diameter. Not super-big but probably the right size for spice-grinding.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 1, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Follow-up to my mortar & pestle post- bought some dried ancho chiles from the store today, baked a couple of them at 400F for maybe ten minutes with some garlic, then ground them all up with a bit of salt. The resulting powder smells delicious and is hotter than gently caress, a success in my book. I can tell I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this thing, any advice for keeping it in good shape for a long time? It's granite.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How effective is re-heating food in making it safe to eat? My fiancee likes to make this certain type of vegetable (and sometimes meat) soup which, after cooking, she always leaves sitting on the stove for the next 24-48 hours as she picks away at it. I think it's both insane and gross to leave fresh food sitting out at room temperature for that long, her defense is that she re-boils it each time and "kills the bacteria", which in my mind only promotes more bacteria growth while the soup slowly cools back down. How do I convince her to stop giving herself food poisoning like this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

Yeah, when you reheat poo poo a lot of the time it's not the bacteria you're looking out for, it's their poisonous toxic poisonous waste byproducts. Whether the animals themselves die isn't the issue...but it's good that they die, too, of course.

THat being said, I've left soup out overnight to cool before I put it in the fridge, and that probably sits in the dangerzone for 6-8 hours, easy. It's not really a big deal, but I'd really hesitate to leave stuff out for long periods if I had the technology to otherwise deal with it. I'd discuss it with your wife and tell her you're a big baby but if she'd please bend on this one silly thing in the name of safety you'd give her many massages and rub downs or whatnot. She may think it's a silly thing, but I'd say it's one of the more important issues regarding food safety storage. Two days minus a few hours in between is a long loving time for things to start getting dangerous.

But then I eat raw cookiedough with eggs in it so maybe I'm not the best person to advise.

Honestly it may just be a long con to make me cook more, though I did convince her to store the big pot of curry she cooked after that sat overnight. I have no idea what makes the soup special though, it's not even that good (I tell her it tastes like nothing and her defense is "it's good to eat bland food once in a while!" :shepface: This woman is from SE Asia, mind you)

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is it that hard to take it out of the fridge and reheat?

Honestly I think she's just too lazy sometimes, also she likes to make a lot of it at a time so it can be tough to store.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there any benefit to having peanut butter in the fridge? I got home from work today to find a jar of peanut butter in my fridge, which I don't think I've ever seen in my life. I know peanut butter can go rancid after too long, but I couldn't tell you what that looks like.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have a recipe I want to try tonight that calls for a cup of dry red wine. However, I don't have a whole cup left and I'm not a regular wine drinker, so I'm not sure how I feel about buying a bottle of wine just to use a little bit for cooking and then having it languish in my fridge until I use another recipe that calls for wine. Is there a substitution I could make here OR what's a good red wine to buy if you are only ever going to use it once in a while for cooking?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hit me with your pro-est stuffed pepper recipes, please. My fiancee likes to request these every once in a while and when I make them ab initio like that I'm never happy with the results.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Any tricks that you guys know of for cleaning electric range coils as well as the trays that go underneath them? Last time I had to clean them I just soaked the trays in warm soapy water and wiped down the coils with a similar solution, but I don't think that worked as well as it could have.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I know the liners can be cleaned but I try to do this a couple times a month and don't think it's worth it to buy news one each time (I'll definitely get new ones before we move). The burners themselves are OK in water, despite being electric? Just make sure they're nice and dry before using again?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've got a recipe here that's telling me to grill chicken (breast) over medium heat for 6 minutes a side. However, I don't own a grill. What's an acceptable substitute, using the broiler on my oven? Grilling it stove-top on a skillet?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want to marinate some pork for dinner tonight, but I'm also planning on stir-frying it. Should I marinate it then cut it up, or cut it up then marinate? Or does order of operations not matter here?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Cut up and then marinate, otherwise not much of the flavor will penetrate. I also recommend getting something acidic in there, my basic marinade for pork stir fry is a half cup of soy sauce, a pinch of kosher salt, a teaspoon of pepper, 2-3 cloves of minced garlic, a tablespoon of grated or minced ginger, two tablespoons of rice vinegar and a tablespoon of sugar, it works really well.

I actually was going to use a soy sauce/olive oil/lime juice mix that I used for chicken a few night ago and loved, so thanks for the affirmation. I might even throw a bit of the puree'd garlic/lime/Thai chiles my fiancee made last night for eating with crab...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
When you're stir-frying food, what takes longer to cook- meat or vegetables? My fiancee and I keep having this argument and can't resolve it one way or the other.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I left some chicken in buttermilk overnight and used them to make fried chicken today, I should probably just discard the buttermilk that I used, right? Or can I use that tonight or tomorrow for some friend pork?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My fiancee wanted me to pick up ammonium bicarbonate for some sort of bread she wants to make. I couldn't find it in the baking aisle, will plain old Arm & Hammer work? It's sodium bicarbonate, so I figure as long as I have a bicarbonate salt whatever she wants to do should still work?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have some stew beef I left in the freezer and forgot about, as well as some Jameson that's been in my fridge for too long. Would it be weird if I threw them into a slow cooker together, and if it's not weird then what else should I throw in with them?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of barbecue sauces, I just realized I have ketchup, cider vinegar and brown sugar, which as far as I know are the basics for barbecue sauce. Could I make a barbecue sauce with some mixture of those and some whiskey I've been trying to use since forever?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

You're gonna want some other things, but sure: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bourbon-whiskey-bbq-sauce/

Ooooh I have all of that stuff, though the whiskey is Jameson. Any quick tricks to re-hydrate brown sugar and make it easier to work with?

E: Turns out my tomato paste is gone, what's the purpose of it in this recipe? My guess is that it thickens the sauce up a little, could I toss in a bit of flour or corn starch to accomplish the same thing?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 17, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
In an effort to eat a better breakfast and save a bit of money, I bought a bulk bag of steel-cut oats. I have actually never cooked oats though, I'm pretty sure you just boil them in water but how do you tell when they're done? Just by seeing if they're soft enough?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My fiancee and I just moved, I'm unpacking our dry food that we brought with us and realizing that we own far too many instant noodle packets than people our age should. I am also unemployed right now and can't be too picky, so what are some creative ways to eat said noodles? My easy go-to right now is to crack an egg into the water while boiling the noodles, then tossing the spice packet in favor of whatever I feel like pulling from my spice cabinet, but I'm open to suggestions.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 28, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it possible to soak beans for too long? I put a pound of black beans in some water last night but forgot to take them out until just now (so they soaked for more like 18 hours instead of the recommended six to eight hours), I tasted a few and they are kind of hard and don't taste very good, almost chemically/bleachy. I put them back in a fresh pot of water with a bit of salt, is it too late to save them? Did I mess up by not rinsing them beforehand?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cavenagh posted:

Soaking black beans is not necessary at all. Cook them. If they're still hard, then they may be bad or old.

So what's cooking them in this case, just taking dry beans and putting them in boiling water for a bit before use? Adding them dry to something you're cooking when it calls for pre-soaked (non-canned) beans?

VV Yeah I don't know what I'm really asking, reading through the recipes I have that use dry beans it sounds more like "throw them in un-soaked, take a little extra cooking time"

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 2, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pulled a roast chicken recipe that calls for me to truss the chicken with "butcher's twine", all I could find was cotton twine. If I'm roasting this bad boy at 450 F the twine won't burst into flames, will it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
My roast chicken turned out well enough, but left me with a couple questions going forward-

--Is there a good guide for carving up a bird properly? We eventually got most of the meat off but at one point we were just ripping it apart like Neanderthals. I took the wishbone out prior to cooking but I still hit a few parts that I couldn't cut, but maybe that's because my knife is not so great.

--I have an inkling of making stock with the carcass. Is there anything more to it that just boiling the leftover bones and collecting the liquid? Other advice on that end?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

As for stock, use the bones, an onion, a carrot, 2 stalks of celery, a head of garlic, 3-4 bay leaves, and black peppercorns. Bring to a low simmer, skim the scum off the top, and simmer at least 4 hours, but up to 1 day. If going for 1 day, put a lid on your stock pot. Aim for 2 inches of water above the carcass in your stockpot. Ideally, make stock with 2+ carcasses.

I don't have a pot large enough for two :( (it's not a designated stock pot). I need to re-stock on veggies though so I might freeze it for now, thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I have some chicken legs that I need to cook tonight. I was planning on baking/roasting them in the oven since I've been doing it here and there with chicken bits over the past couple of months, but I'm not sure how to season/coat them prior to cooking. Any suggestions? I've done a honey soy glaze a few times that my wife loves but we're out of honey and I can't be arsed to go get more right now. I also have some red wine vinegar that I never use, could I do something using that or would that be too weird on dark meat?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I bought some fresh basil that's probably going to go bad soon, so I want to dry it out for later use. What's the best way to go about it, just put it on a baking sheet and heat it in the oven for a little bit?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

Not sure it's worth the effort considering how cheap dried basil is

You're not wrong, plus the bunch I bought was really cheap as well, I just hate throwing food away without making an effort to salvage it.

The oil preserving sounds like a good idea, especially since I would likely be using it in a pasta sauce or something similar down the line. Just mince it up, disperse it in oil, and seal it up?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Best time & temp for baking a potato? Or is it not worth the precision?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Enkor posted:

Size matters, but 60-120 minutes at 350 is what I usually figure. Less cooking is fluffier, more cooking is crustier. Just depends on what you want!

I'm mixing it into a soup TBH, so fluffier sounds better. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I want to make an enchilada recipe I found earlier for a work potluck next week, but one of my co-workers has celiac disease and can't eat gluten. The recipe calls for 2 Tbsp flour to make the enchilada sauce which I'm pretty sure contains gluten (and gets mixed in 2 cups of water), will that kill them or am I safe to bring this dish?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Don't do that. Sub the flour for 1/3rd as much corn starch, or use tomato paste as a thickener.

e: and make sure you make your enchiladas with corn tortillas, as I understand it, some crazy people make enchiladas with flour tortillas, and they are totally wrong.

Thanks, the sauce already uses tomato paste but I do have some corn starch I can use. And yeah, def corn tortillas for this one even ignoring the gluten restriction.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Going back to my enchiladas from last page, the recipe calls for chopped-up zucchini but I want to use ground beef instead since I don't have to worry about any vegetarians for my potluck. The recipe says to bake the enchiladas at 350F for 40-45 minutes, should I brown the ground beef a little bit beforehand or will it cook all the way in the oven?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm about to bake some mac & cheese and just realized that this leftover bacon would be delicious to include. If I fry it up a little, mix it in, and then bake the mixture, is the bacon going to get overcooked? Or should I just fry it up separately and sprinkle it over the fully-baked mac?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

detectivemonkey posted:

Make bao. I made some steamed bun dough (I can't find what I used but I just googled around so do that) and wrapped up some BBQ pork. Then I froze them and they reheat well in a bamboo steamer basket.

Listen to this goon and post a trip report, fresh bao are delicious and are on my wife's and mine's cooking to-do list.

Is there a thread here for homemade spices, or are there any goons in this thread that make their own spice mixtures? I've had some dried ancho chiles staring out at me from my pantry, so today I decided to cut off the stems and grind those bad boys up in my food processor with some salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Now I have a dark red powder that smells amazing and is hot af, and now I kind of want to make more spices at home. Is this a thing people do? I have a mortar & pestle I need to use more often, and I found a strainer in my cupboard that was perfect for filtering out the chile seeds that weren't ground up by the processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Planning to make fondue for a couple of dinner guests this weekend, going through my cookbook collection I found the following recipe-

12 oz chocolate
3/4 cup cream
1-2 Tbsp brandy or kirsch
Melt chocolate and cream together until smooth, then stir in the liqueur

That sounds...really boring? Anything I can do to make it more interesting? Preferably in a gluten-free way, as one of our guest has celiac disease.