Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Make it a daal, and you'll be fine. Mustard seed, cumin seed, garlic, onion, ginger, and chiles. Obscene amounts of onion and ginger, that is. Optional tomato and coriander leaves if you like it. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice. Salt, black pepper. Call it a night. It should cook up fairly easily, and be done in less than an hour or so. Just add the tomatoes at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

theDoubleH posted:

Stock question #2: Is it safe to let it cool overnight, outside? Overnight low is 42 F. Last time I made stock it was below zero so I went for it.

No.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

theDoubleH posted:

Thanks for all the tips. Luckily when I did this last winter Sasquatch didn't get my stock. It probably helped that it was on a second-floor roof buried in snow. Anyways, I was afraid to let it cool to room temperature because I thought that could take a while (it's a huge pot) and be a risk. But my freezer is completely empty besides a couple bags of ice and a loaf of bread that I might as well move to the fridge. It was previously filled with a few zip loc bags each of chicken and vegetable scraps, but now those are all in the stock!

Also Cranberry Jam, good idea with the water bottle. Should speed the cool to room temperature part.

I'm an rear end for not mentioning this sooner, but next time you want to bring down a large quantity of liquid to room temp, the very first thing you should be doing is to break down the large mass into smaller pieces. If you're doing a large batch of stock, these here are very useful for that:

http://www.amazon.com/Delitainer-Deli-Food-Containers-Lids/dp/B004NKBTY4/ref=pd_sim_misc3

This way, you've got about two quarts in one go, which is more than enough stock to use up at one time, unless you're making masses of soup. Essentially, all's you gotta do is pour them into the smaller containers, and leave 'em out for like 20 minutes or so. They'll cool down very rapidly. Then throw them in the freezer just like that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Neko Sou posted:

I feel like this belongs here more than the Watch and Woot thread but I have a bad feeling I'll be chased out of here with pitchforks and torches for asking... but does anyone have any experience with Weight Watchers and WW-friendly recipes? I've been making things like tuna noodle casserole and I'd kind of like to fancy it up a bit more than that. The problem is you can't really use as much of the delicious stuff (olive oil, butter, cheese, breadcrumbs) in the quantities you'd usually want, so you're a little handicapped.

As others have mentioned, spices are free, as are herbs! This is the time to get yourself acquainted with different spices and different herbs. Basil, oregano, chives, scallions, and parsley taste good on just about anything. Throw on a bit of lemon or lime juice, and your steamed veg will sing! If you can't use too much fat, dry toast your spices to bring up the flavours, then crush them in a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder, and then sprinkle liberally onto your food. Raw courgettes, sliced thin, and tossed with rice vinegar, soy sauce, a couple of drops of toasted sesame oil (it's got a very strong flavour, so just a few drops go a long way), and scallions are a wonderful and filling side dish. Use the same sort of dressing for shredded cabbage, carrots, daikon, whatever.

Get your hands on some Tofu Shirataki Noodles (the broad kind) instead of using regular pasta. It's very low in calories (about 40 calories for an 8-oz pouch). Eat as many fresh veggies as you can get your hands on, and bulk out your meals.

What one of my friends does is to keep a blend of rice vinegar and balsamic vinegar, with a bit of salt and mustard in it, in a spray bottle in his fridge. When he wants to eat a salad, he gives the greens a quick splash of the vinegar for a boost of flavour on the greens without adding any fat.

Chiles are also an excellent source of flavour, as is black pepper. Don't be afraid to turn up the heat. :)

You can definitely do this if you start exploring the things you /can/ eat, rather than worrying about all the things you can't eat and trying (unsuccessfully) to substitute them. Then, when you want something that's a little on the indulgent side, you can spend your points on it.

One more thing a friend on WW told me that worked for her. Don't bank your points over the week if you can help it. Try to use up the points in a day. If you go under, just pretend you didn't have them, and move on. It avoids over-eating and getting yourself even more miserable later on, once the high-calorie thing is gone. If you spread our your points over the day, and have a little something something more frequently, you don't feel like you're on this depravation thing.

You can do this! I know you can! Just take a look at some of the wonderful recipes out there that don't need that much fat to begin with, and start exploring your spices and herbs! This is an adventure! Use the opportunity to reacquaint yourself with your food, and really have fun with it. I know you can do it!

:)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

User-Friendly posted:

I recently moved into a kitchen that has severely limited my cooking space, and I need recipe recommendations. I currently only have 2 burners and a microwave, but no oven. If a large pot is on one of the burners, the other is completely unusable, so there's a size restriction as well. I'm increasingly tired of pasta and stir-fry, so I was wondering if there were any other, perhaps more complicated, dishes I should attempt?

Also, it's a shared kitchen so I can't have anything on for an extreme amount of time.
Since you already know stir-fry, it's just a short jump up to poriyal, which can be made with any quick cooking veg. Green beans, collard greens, kale, cabbage, zucchini, whatever you have does the job. You can skip the coconut if it's difficult to find. The curry leaves are also optional. It's mainly the turmeric, mustard seed, and asafoetida that give it its flavour. The technique is very similar to stir-frying, except that you're starting off with whole spices. Everything else follows.

Also, it's a very short jump from there to daal, which can be made from any tinned beans. This way you're not spending forever and a day on waiting for beans to boil. Daal is quite good with any manner of bread or flatbread, as well as rice.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jose posted:

Will try my best but iPhone photos and there aren't any except of the scotch bonnets and naga's left. The others weren't spicy but tastes nice so still got use in stuff. The scotch bonnets look identical to those from a google image search and vary in colour from green to red. Same as the Naga's. The guy in the shop used rubber gloves to bag both as well.

I have found that cooking in fat tends to amp up the potency of chiles. Do it over low heat if you value your sinus passages.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jose posted:

How important are the oysters? I absolutely cannot stand oysters or muscles (fish/oyster sauce I can do) but if it works without I'll give it a go or see what she thinks.
I don't use the fish sauce, and my kimchi comes out great.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

wormil posted:

Can anyone summarize which vegetables I should salt before cooking/steaming/etc and which after? I've heard on some cooking show long ago that green vegetables should be salted before cooking and everything else after... true/false/more complicated than that?

Veg are way more forgiving than you're letting them be. Add salt whenever you feel like you'd like the salt in. For example, with any green veg (broccoli, green beans, collard greens) that I'm flash steaming, I don't bother to add salt till after cooking, because the salt isn't going to penetrate anyway. With long cooking starchy veg, like potatoes, yucca, etc, that I'm cooking in large quantities of water, I'll liberally salt the water, because the salt will penetrate and flavour the veg. If I'm stir-frying, or roasting anything, I'll salt while I'm going.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Molasses and brown rice syrup will not work. Making the caramel requires glucose. There are situations that call for specific ingredients, and this is one of them. Brown rice syrup has a very low amount of glucose. Molasses is still mostly sucrose. Short of going out and buying pure glucose, which is likely made from corn in any case, just buy the loving corn syrup already.

dino. fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 10, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CureMinorWounds posted:

I have a really good french onion soup recipe that I would like to try, however I'm working very unfortunate hours this week. Would it be safe to put the sliced onions in the crock pot and let it go from probably 8am to 8pm on low? Or possibly from 1pm to 9pm? Or am I going to burn my house down?

My bf would be available to stir it occasionally if that would make any difference at all.

OK, you want to cook onions on low, but I'm not sure this is quite what's meant. XD Just try it some time when you've got more time, or alternately, make white onion soup.

Only fat people drink diet soda.

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 13, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

oRenj9 posted:

Does anybody have a good, Lebanese falafel recipe? Last weekend, I went to a festival and there was a food booth set up by the local Lebanese Catholic church serving authentic Lebanese food. I had a falafel and I swear it was the best drat falafel I have ever had.
I make the lebanese kind at home, and prefer it to the traditional kind. It calls for an even split of soaked chickpeas, and soaked split peas. The chickpeas soak overnight, and the split peas soak for 2 hours. Grind the split peas down to a puree in a food processor. Remove from processor, and do the same for the chickpeas, parsley, chiles, coriander seed, and salt (all ground together at once). You can add a bit of water to help the chickpeas grind down, but go easy on the water. When you mix the split pea and chickpea/herb/spice puree together, you have enough binding to form falafel that you can deep fry. If you've added too much water (which is frequently a problem), throw in a few handfuls of pita breadcrumbs for binding.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

Split peas, eh? Yellow or green? I'll have to try this. My half-Sudanese wife insists there should be fava beans in felafels, but I'm having the damndest time finding any out in my area.

Yellow. I can't stand the taste of green. To be perfectly honest, I think you'd even be OK with a bit of tuvar daal or summat. It's pretty hard to eff up.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

smiph posted:

Anyone got any good recipes for dishes with Quinoa? Heard that this is gluten free and good substitute for loads of stuff like pasta etc. Do you guys like it?

It's wicked good, as long as you treat it right. For one thing, wash the hell out of it. It's got this coating that makes it taste all bitter and crap. Wash it very well, and you're doing a couple of things: (1) removing any latent cross-contamination gluten, and (2) making it not taste awful. Don't skip the washing step. Wash it vigorously. They're tiny little grains, and won't be hurt by your rubbing them between your palms in the water.

Boil it in rapidly boiling water (enough like you'd use for pasta; so like a gallon or so), with a few hits of salt in. Set the timer for 10 minutes, and prep your other ingredients. For about 1 cup of quinoa (which will cook up to like 3 cups), you'll want:

2 pinches saffron, bloomed in a little hot water
1 cup of the smallest frozen or fresh (NOT tinned or dry) green peas you can find, thawed
1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
1 cup cashews, lightly toasted
1 TB oil (NOT OLIVE; any neutral flavoured oil will do)
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp fennel seed
3 cloves
1 cardamom pod
1 small piece cinnamon or cassia bark
1 large spanish onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cm ginger, grated finely

When the quinoa is cooked through, drain it and rinse it off thoroughly. This will make the excess starch wash off, and you'll end up with light and fluffy quinoa. Drain off the water, and set it aside. In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Throw in the cumin and fennel seed, and wait for them to smell very fragrant, and pop a little. Add hte cloves, cardamom pod, cinnamon, and sautee in the fat for about 20 seconds or so. The spices will turn a darker brown. Add in the garlic, and cook for about 30 seconds, then immediately add the onion, before the garlic has a chance to burn. Once the onions are softened, add the ginger, peas, raisins, and cashews, and toss everything to coat in the spices and fat.

Turn off the heat, and sprinkle the spice/nuts blend over the drained quinoa. Sprinkle on the saffron water, and toss to coat completely. It is OK if everything is not homogenously coloured. Taste for salt, and adjust as needed.

The spices are so fragrant that I've been told by women that they'd like to wear it as a perfume. It's very heady and aromatic. If you don't care for sweet and savoury, just skip the raisins. You'll be fine without. If you don't have all those spices, skip the whole spices, and sprinkle in a bit of either Chinese 5 Spice, or Garam Masala when you add in the peas and cashews. It won't be quite as fragrant, but you'll get there. If you don't have/want to buy saffron, use a few big pinches of turmeric when you cook the onion. It won't smell nearly the same, but the colour will be a beautiful golden orange. It's got its own lovely smell.

If you're looking for something a little less involved, you can always combine the quinoa with finely chopped raw or roasted or sauteed bell peppers, raw or sauteed onions, a bit of fresh garlic, olive oil, thyme, basil, and as much lemon juice as you can take. For some reason, quinoa and lemon juice get along famously. Feel free to add any other veg you like.

Overall, as long as you add a bit of acid to cold quinoa dishes, and add a fair few spices to hot quinoa dishes, along with adding textural contrasts to both of them, you'll enjoy the grain quite a lot.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Zedlic posted:

I'm making dinner for a weekly friend-gettogether tomorrow. I'm thinking soup, but I haven't done a lot of them. Something beans. And warm homebaked bread.

I've got pinto, great northern, black eyed, black, split-peas and lentils. What am I making here?

Edit: Something that goes well with roux. I just made some and would like to try it out.

Soak the black eyed peas in boiling water for two hours. Puree them with garlic, some onion, chili sauce of your liking, salt, and a bit of black pepper, then more garlic, just to be safe. Deep fry by the scoopful. Eat. SO TASTY.

Boil the lentils until tender. Drain well. Combine in food processor with garlic, sauteed onion, a bit of salt, some pepper, and equal parts walnuts. For example, if you started with 1 cup of dry lentils, use 1 cup of walnuts. Very tasty as a dip.

Start with onion, carrot, bell pepper, and celery in a large stock pot. Add thyme, and a bit of salt. Cook until the veg are soft. Add the great northern beans that you've par-cooked in fiercely boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add enough water to come up about 3 inches over the beans. Bring to a boil, and drop to medium low heat for about an hour. Add in a good hit of hickory salt when the beans are tender. Stir in the roux, and bring back to the boil. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Couldn't you just buy wholemeal flour, and sift it? I've seen The Two Fat Ladies do that when they visited the mill to grind their own flour to make bread.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's going to smoke, dude. That's kind of what happens when you get the pans hot enough for a stir-fry. The problem with using a huge cast iron pan is that the heat cannot be controlled, nor can it be hefted around easily. If you've noticed good stir-fry chefs in big restaurants at work, everything is in constant motion: the wok, the ladle/spatula, the veggies, the everything. It's the same with South Indian poriyal: you crank the heat up to screaming hot, preheat your wok until it's smoking like a demon, then throw in some fat, throw in some yummies, and move everything around constantly. As soon as the fat goes into a sufficiently hot cooking vessel, you can start throwing crap in.

To prevent some of the heavier smoking, you'll want to move your wok off the fire for a second or two, then put it back on when the food goes in. Also, get the fan going, and you'll likely need to crack a window. It's fine. The point is that for stir-frying, you're better served with a wok, because it's not an enormous lump of metal that's getting screaming hot. It's a heavy-ish bottomed bowl-shaped thing, which the flames can lick up the sides of the pot, and get hot in different ways across the cooking surface. :)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

signalnoise posted:

I'm attempting to raise my skill in spicing things and making spice blends. I am interested in experimenting with a bunch of different combinations, but just tasting the combination off the tip of my finger won't have the presence of salt and other things that would really impact how the spices taste at the end of cooking.

So, anyone know a simple way for me to test out spice blends without actually cooking something with it? I mean, even with Old Bay, having it straight up is way different than having it cooked with stuff.

Maybe toast?

Fry it in fat, pour it over boiled potatoes/rice, eat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mr. unhsib posted:

Usually when I make daal I put in a bit of cream to thicken it. However I have some coconut milk lying around and I'm wondering if I could achieve the same effect with a 1-to-1 substitution? Anyone familiar with this? Thanks!

Yes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vlex posted:

So I made an Autumn vegetable soup tonight. It was delicious, but I had problems with the texture. Specifically, I soaked a bunch of split yellow peas in water for, like, two days. Despite almost an hour of boiling in the soup (all other veggies apart from some stubborn bits of roasted parsnip had disintegrated) the peas remained unpleasantly solid, with an undercooked mouthfeel.

I know these little shits can be made soft, because the local Indian joint does a dansak curry with them instead of the usual lentils. What the hell am I doing wrong? I guess the salt in my stock might be loving with them softening?

Always boil split peas separately. They don't play well with anything else.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mutter posted:

Hi GWS, I would really appreciate some suggestions on what to do with the lovely Kabocha Squash I've got my hands on. I've never dealt with one before and would like to serve it when my parents are over to help me move. I'm fairly new to cooking so I probably shouldn't attempt anything too fancy. Any ideas?

If you haven't the wherewithal to tackle that sucker with your knives (because kabocha can be a rather hard pumpkin to tackle), just roast it whole for two hours. It'' cook all the way through, and the skin and seeds will come right out.

Then, combine it with sauteed onions, your favourite pumpkin pie spices, and a bit of coconut milk & apple juice (to thin it out), and puree it for the silkiest, creamiest pumpkin soup you've ever had. If you'd like, feel free to sprinkle in a bit of cinnamon, maple syrup, and cardamom. It's quite lovely on its own, but the addition of the spices brings something else out all together.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Macaroni posted:

Gonna do this later this week with my kabocha. What temperature should I roast at? 400º? Thanks!

Speaking of squash, how long can a hard-skinned squash last? I've got an acorn squash that's nearly a year old, but has no soft spots or discoloration. If I cut it open, will it be full of mold and eldritch horrors?

325 on a convection, so 350 for a standard should do the job. :P

Cut open the old squash for :science: !

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Boner Slam posted:

This has most likely been asked a million times but yeah:

So I was asked to make food and that is usually not a problem, but now there is a vegetarian girl in the mix and I'd like to make an all vegetarian meal instead of a "real one" and one alibi etc.

However, I don't know any vegetarian meal that can be enjoyed by up to 7 people and at the same time is something special, savory and "full" so to say.

What is your goto vegetarian meal for 6-8 people when you want something impressive?

Make a bean chili, and lots of cornbread, and stuffing, and all kind of veggies on the side. You won't go wrong.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ktb posted:

I recently ate some sort of beef and pear stew thing. It was absolutely delicious and I want to make it myself. However google is giving me a ton of recipes and none of them sound like the right thing. The girl that brought it in said that it was Korean. I'm pretty sure it had garlic, ginger, some chilli and soy sauce but beyond that I have no idea. Does anyone know what this dish is called or have a recipe for it?

Sounds like Bulgogi to me too. It's the pears that give it away.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Torka posted:

When I was a kid I loved peas because they were starchy and savoury, now any brand of frozen peas I buy tastes like it has loving sugar in it, including the ones not specifically advertised as sweet peas. I have no absolutely no sweet tooth and no longer enjoy peas as a result. Is there anyone out there not breeding their peas for sweetness? :smith:

This is the exact problem I have with butternut squash. I used to love it as a kid, because it was starchy and savoury, with a VERY mild back note of sweetness. Every time I bite into a bit of butternut nowadays, it's a ball of disappointment and pain, because it's so loving sweet. I never liked sweet things, even as a kid, so I know it's not just me. And now that you mention your squick about peas, I feel like I've found a kindred spirit who feels my pain. MAINS SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE AFTERS. Ugh.

If it helps any, I've found that edamame is a decent substitute for peas. They're quite lovely, and only very mildly sweet in comparison to peas. I still enjoy peas, but only when steamed lightly, tossed in oil and salt, and roasted in the oven. The caramelly taste seems to offset the choking sweetness.

dino. fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 25, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chard posted:

What would you recommend? The choices in olive oil can be a bit overwhelming. I have a place that does amazing infused oils and vinegars but that's just for special stuff, not cooking general dinners.

Peanut oil works great for roasting, as does canola. Throw some herbs in the mix to boost up the flavour, and you're good.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

you ate my cat posted:

Help me buy food, please. Is there a rule of thumb for people to potatoes for mashed potatoes? How about people to amount of meat for something like a rib roast? I can wing portioning for everything else, but I'm cooking for 9 this weekend and I'd rather not end up with way too many potatoes or way too little roast.

For mashed potatoes, I've seen that a 5 lb bag comfortably will feed a family of 12, with leftovers (not many leftovers, but leftovers).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Douche Bag posted:

Brace yourselves for some possibly stupid questions!
They're not stupid if you're actually asking them because you're trying to learn! That makes them smart. :)

quote:

What's the best way to give rice and beans more flavor? Is there a sauce that goes well with them? I eat alot of rice and beans but they're getting kinda bland.
Have you considered putting veg in along with the beans and spices? What about flavouring the rice in interesting ways? Barring that, any pot of beans should have onions and garlic, a bit of cumin, thyme, and turmeric, and then a bit of salt and chile for taste. I can get into the specifics if you need me to. :)

quote:

I use a lot of garlic but I loving hate mincing it. Would I be sacrificing much in the way of quality if I used this stuff:
I'm going to get some angry rotten tomatoes flung at me, but it's not the end of the world if you're such a beginner cook that smashing a clove of garlic with the flat of your knife, then running the blade over the smashed bits is too hard, then I'll give you some time to build your cooking skills and allow the horrible jarred minced garlic. I'd sooner you use /some/ garlic than none at all.

That being said, I wish you would just stop and think for a moment about how easy it really is to mince up garlic, once you smash it flat. You don't have to get it down to teensy tiny pieces. Just get it chopped up roughly.

Barring all that, just get a garlic press (I got that one a few months back, and love it to pieces), and move on.

quote:

I'm looking for a good cookbook for beginners. How would this one do?

Jamie Oliver is good people, but you could do with something a bit more comprehensive. Might I suggest James Beard Cookbook? He covers /everything/ in it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bellabel posted:

My roommate is a former vegetarian and has some dried texturized soy protein chunks left over from his meatless days. We're trying to use them up, so I added some to a soup and tbh they're pretty unappetizing (spongy and tasteless). Is there a way to cook them to make them less gross?

Rehydrate the TVP in boiling water (takes about a five minute soak for the large chunks, or a one minute soak for the small pieces), and drain off the excess water. Squeeze out as much excess water as you can. In a large skillet, heat a few TB of peanut oil over highest heat. Add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, and fennel seeds. Wait about thirty or so seconds for the seeds to toast and crackle and pop. They'll smell awesome. Add onions and garlic, and cook until medium brown.

Add the rehydrated TVP, and sautee until it gets lightly browned as well. Add a few shakes of soya sauce, a light sprinkle of turmeric, and a good hefty bit of salt. Add tomato paste, and toss everything around in the pan to get it all evenly coated. Add a few splashes of rum, or red wine if you don't have rum. Let the whole thing cook, with constant stirring, for about 10 minutes longer.

Turn off the heat, and add in about a 3 cm knob of raw grated ginger. No, powdered ginger will not suffice. Sprinkle on a bit of garam masala, and stir everything through. Check for salt, and finish off with a hefty grind of black pepper.

It will be absolutely lovely.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Potential BFF posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Kyocera ceramic knives?

They're sharp for a while, and then not so much anymore. Every time I use one, it feels too light to actually do the job. Also, the handles are way small.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Amethyste posted:

I love Indian food, and would like to be brave and attempt to start cooking it on my own.

Anyone have a good cookbook recommendation for the basics? I prefer to learn the basics first then branch off into the fancier versions if at all possible.

If it helps any, my husband loves chicken vindaloo, and I am a lamb korma/rogan josh fan. I have been looking online, but I don't really know if the ones I am looking at are good for beginners or not.

Although a little tilted towards North Indian food, Madhur Jaffrey's An Invitation to Indian Cooking is a solid work.

http://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Indian-Cooking-Vintage/dp/0375712119

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
:blush: Thanks, Wrought. You're too kind. <3

Mine is more tilted towards South Indian food, as that's the stuff that my mum used to make when I was growing up (still does, in fact), and it's what I know best. South Indian food tends to be challenging to folks who've gotten used to the North Indian style. South Indian is generally lighter, has less fat, and tends to be milder in regards to spices, and heavier on the chiles. There's a fair bit more water in, making it good for a hot climate (even though the black pepper warms you from the inside), and less cream and milk.

Madhur tends towards the authentic, while using ingredients that you can generally find in most large cities, with maybe an occasional trip to the Indian store. I tend towards the "whatever tastes good is worth making, and gently caress the traditional way of doing things, because I have an oven damnit".

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pr0k posted:

But where did the snotlike stuff come from? I think of snotty textures as mostly protein and water, like eggwhites. Did it come from the milk and cream? What did the cinnamon do to it to get it to gel like that?
That's what happens when cinnamon is heated to any kind of heat. It gets snotty. It's why any decent Indian recipe with garam masala in will ask you to add it at the end, so as to avoid that snot. It's a disgusting looking thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

So what keeps it from snotting up in baking?

Couple of things. For one, in baking, you're doing a gradual increase in heat. Unlike water, whose temperature tends to remain constant until the boiling point is reached (and then the temp skyrockets), with most baking, you're talking a gradual increase in temperature. Hydrogen bonding in water resists temperature (and thereby state) changes. You're going to have jumps in temperature when dealing with a mostly water solution.

In baking, however, the liquid isn't the main player. In fact, most of baking comes from starches gelling. This happens at a steady temperature. Moreover, in baking, you're dealing with stuff that's snotty already (eggs, starch, etc), so a bit more isn't going to hurt anything.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tsurupettan posted:

Also, I've been trying to find Shirataki noodles in the Tampa Bay area with zero drat luck. :smith: I want to try using it to replace spaghetti and having spaghetti and meatballs. It will never be the same, but I can try. :argh:
Publix should carry it. It'd be stocked next to the tofu, in the produce aisle.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Socratic Moron posted:

My garden has tons of turnips coming in. However, every recipe I've tried results in rather bitter turnip greens. And 80% of the recipes I've found begin with, "Add 2 cups of turnip greens and 1 pound bacon...". My wife is a vegetarian, so that won't work.

Sweet goons, do any of you have a tasty way to prepare turnip greens for a vegetarian?

Thank you!

Would vegan work too?

Start with about 1 kg (2 lbs, I think) of your turnip greens. Chop them into about 2 cm long pieces. Soak them in cold water for about five minutes, to remove the dirt and such. Lightly salt the soaking water, so as to get that last clingy bit of dirt off. Thoroughly drain your greens, and blot lightly with a towel.

Start with a deep~ish skillet, preferably cast iron. If you have a splatter guard, have it ready. If you don't, just get the lid for the skillet ready.

Add about 3 TB of fat (preferably high-heat fat, like Canola or peanut oil). Crank up your heat to high. Add about 2 tsp of white or black mustard seeds (black if you can find them/have them on hand, but white will do in a pinch). When the fat gets hot enough, it will cause the mustard seeds to crack and pop. They will try to get all over your stove, so as soon as you hear the cracking, slam on the splatter guard or lid, and lift the skillet off of the heat for about 30 - 45 seconds. When the popping subsides, put the skillet back on heat, and dump in around 1 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, and 1 TB of sesame seeds. Again, slam on the splatter guard or lid. Wait for about 20 seconds (at the most) and the popping should increase and then subside.

Add about 5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped, 2 medium Spanish or white onions, chopped finely, and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. Sautee the onions and garlic in the fat and spices until they're just softened. When the onions are soft, add the chopped greens, and 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced. Tinned is OK, as long as the ingredients do not contain calcium chloride. You want the tomatoes to break down a bit. I find that the imported brands tend to be just tomatoes and water. Add a splash of vodka, white wine, hard cider, or vermouth. Depending on whichever you have, the flavour will be altered.

Let the greens cook until they're tender. Season with salt and black pepper, and a good squeeze of lime juice. Finish the dish with either chopped basil or cilantro. It'll be lovely and balanced. You'll get the sweetness of tomato and onion, the sourness of the lime, the spices, and the bitterness of the greens. If after cooking, the greens are too bitter, stir through about a scant 1/2 tsp of sugar to round all the flavours out.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

sporkupine posted:

This sounds magical. I need to have it in my stomach as soon as possible. On the off chance that my local lovely grocery store doesn't have turnip greens, what can I substitute?
Absolutely! It would work really well with mustard greens, kale, collard greens, rainbow chard, swiss chard, beet greens, broccoli rabe, dandelion greens, whatever you have! The point is that you've got a mix of flavours that will control the bitterness of the dark leafies, and will still boost the iron you'll get from it (because of the vitamin C in the tomatoes, and the added iron of the sesame seed). It's absolutely a must-have for any kind of Indian meal. Just don't use spinach for this recipe. It's too wimpy. You need a green with some backbone.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Socratic Moron posted:

I made this last night. You weren't kidding about the need for the splash guard! Hahah. I think I burned the seeds a little, but it was still great (I used vodka). Unfortunately, my wife still didn't like the greens (she picked around them) as they were too bitter for her despite me adding sugar like you suggested. I think I have to resign myself to no turnip greens but I can use your recipe for my swiss chard that should be ready soon. Thanks again!

I guess some folk just aren't going to like everything, eh? I never thought of turnip greens as being all that bitter. Mustard greens on the other hand. Yipes! It's why I started cooking my greens in that manner--because the bitterness can get overwhelming. Either way, I'm pleased that you've found a different way to make greens that doesn't involve boiling the heck out of them for hours.

One final thing to try. Boil your turnip greens in water for about 5 minutes, then rinse in cold water and drain well before cooking them in any other way. If that still doesn't take out the bitterness, consider it a lost cause.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

kiteless posted:

achiote seeds
That's annato. You steep it in hot fat to get a brilliant red colour to any sort of mole sauce you're making. It's lovely stuff, and ever so fragrant. It can also be used to colour a tandoori chickan marinade.

RE: Celeriac. Have you done the bajji thing yet? Essentially, dip it in batter made of chickpeas, water, red chile powder, and ajowain seeds (optional), then deep fry it? It'll be ever so tasty. Barring that, tempura that summbitch.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Well, that'll work, and I loving love gazpacho, and I'll probably make some ASAP, but it is still cold as gently caress out. Any warm soup ideas?
There is the option of that one Provençal pesto soup:

http://www.atfirstglass.com/2010/07/soupe-au-pistou-au-midwest-la-mesdames.html

It's quite easy to adapt for winter veg, as you can switch out the courgette for pumpkin (I used kabocha). Instead of the green beans, I used frozen peas, with no problems at all. Leave out the Parmesan cheese, and ease back on the olive oil to about 1 TB, if you're looking for something lighter. I subbed out a bit of water for the olive oil. It really doesn't need all of it.

It ends up being very comforting on a cold winter night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

totalnewbie posted:

What can I do with a ton of cilantro?

Hari Chatni:

http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/green-chutney.php