Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Ok, I'd like to preface this by saying i'm a total nooby to cooking in general (I can make basic stews and bolognese). Additionally, i'm a student, and I live in the UK at the moment, read into that as you will ;).

Anyway, i've eaten out once or twice in the past two months at places that served japanese style ramen, and I really really enjoyed it on both occasions (I think once I had tonkotsu and the other... I can't remember). Obviously it was in a completely different league to instant noodles that I am understandably familiar with.

Hence, A couple of questions: How difficult is it to make such food at home? Are the ingredients typically difficult or expensive to acquire? What kind of equipment does one need to make it? Is one particular type harder than another to do correctly?

Thanks in advance :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
What can a man do with (freely acquired) pork belly and some basic vegetables?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
How long do chestnuts keep for?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Forever. They'll taste bad after a year or so though.

If you'd prefer, I could have rephrased to "What would the length of time be that would be neccessary for it to no longer be desirable for one who could be described as human owing to various of his characteristics indicating that said conclusion would most likely be correct to consume chestnuts, desirability in this case being predicated on taste, texture aroma and lack of ill health causing bacteria"

(I'm assuming 1 year was the serious answer though, so thank you for that :))

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
How long and at what temperature should I roast a 2.5kg chicken for.

edit: not a 25kg chicken.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
What is a simple way meal based around duck breasts?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So I'm going to be going to Thailand tomorrow: Is there anything that GWS would reccommend trying while i'm out there?

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So my Mother has taken to roasting chickens (Which I like), boiling up the carcasses for stock (Which I am in favour of) and making homogenised vegetable soups from them (Which I have grown quite tired of). Bearing in mind that my family have boring tastes, what would be a good way to make use of this stock that is not potatoes/carrots/onions blended in the stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Anyone have an orange sauce recipe they like (to go with duck)?