Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

Phadedsky posted:

I was wondering if anyone had a good pizza sauce recipe. I've recently gotten into homemade pizzas and I would like to make my own sauce rather than getting store bought. Also this might be a stupid question, but can you cook steak in a cast iron pan? If so how? Thanks!

I do a no cook pizza sauce.

1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 T. olive oil
1 T. oregano
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 t. onion powder
1 t. paprika
pinch of thyme
pinch of red pepper flake
pinch of salt

Drain tomatoes and save the juice. Place tomatoes in a few paper towels and give them a good squeeze to get all the extra water out so the sauce isn't soupy. Put your tomatoes in a food processor/blender and give them a quick spin. Add your seasoning to the tomatoes, spin again. Drizzle in olive oil while the food processor/blender is going like you would trying to make a salad dressing, then spin for another 5 seconds. Refrigerate sauce for 30 min. to an hour so the flavors can meld.

If you squeeze too much water out of the tomatoes just add a little of the juice in a little at a time until you like the consistency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

theDoubleH posted:

Quick question. I'm making stock from leftover chicken bones. I know I'm supposed to be skimming it, but what am I trying to skim exactly? Is it the foam that bubbles to the top, or the gray/brown gunky stuff that collects under the fat? Or both? I feel the latter will be much harder to get as it doesn't collect together the way the foam does.

The gunky brown/gray foam stuff.

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

theDoubleH posted:

Stock question #2: Is it safe to let it cool overnight, outside? Overnight low is 42 F. Last time I made stock it was below zero so I went for it.

I stick a water bottle or two of ice in the pot and then put it in the refrigerator with some ice packs or in a cooler with cold packs or ice.

e: Your grilling looks outstanding benito. I love grilled veggies.

Cranberry Jam fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 18, 2011

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

rockcity posted:

So today I received my ice cream maker that I ordered a few days ago and all excited I ran out and bought all my ingredients, made my base, froze my bowl and then found out...they forgot to put the mixing paddle in the box with the ice cream maker. Lovely. I'm going to call Cuisinart in the morning to get that resolved, but my question is, how long should my ice cream base be good for in the fridge? The ingredients are all fresh as I bought them today, so they don't expire any time soon, but I wasn't sure if applying heat or mixing in the other ingredients would matter at all. Should it be ok in the fridge for a week while I wait for the paddle? Should I freeze it and re-melt it? Just curious if anyone has any more knowledge on this than I.

If you are going to keep in in the freezer I would put some parchment/wax paper on top of it to help keep out flavors you have floating around your freezer.

I let my ice cream base sit in the fridge for a day or two so the flavor can meld/bloom/mellow.

I don't think heating it them putting it in the freezer would mater too much, what other ingredients were you thinking of putting in it?

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011

Jose posted:

Again for UK goons, can people help me with recipes for some thai food that isn't standard thai green/red chicken curry? Phad Thai etc. Stuff that is easy and fast to make would be perfect

Thai peanut noodles are good both hot and cold.

Hot:
14 oz can coconut milk
1/4 c. peanut butter
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. fish sauce
1 T. rice wine vinegar
1-2 T. curry paste
1 T. palm sugar or brown sugar
1 T. ginger grated
1-2 cloves of garlic grated
chili paste/sauce to taste

Bring coconut milk to a simmer and mix in peanut butter until smooth. Mix in all other ingredients and let simmer for a minute or two.

I do it mostly by taste because it can really depend on what kind of coconut milk, peanut putter and curry paste you use, it may need more peanut butter, curry paste, sugar or soy sauce.

Toss with prepared rice noodles, peanuts, veggies and serve with some lime wedges. I like green onion, english cucumber, red bell pepper and bok choy.

Cool:
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. peanut putter
1 T rice wine vinegar
1-2 t. curry paste
1 T. ginger grated
1-2 cloves garlic grated
1 t. sesame oil
1-2 t. chili paste/sauce

Blend ingredients in food processor/blender. Toss with prepared rice noodles, peanuts, veggies and serve with some lime wedges.

Thai meat salads (Larb) are good as well. I don't have a recipe, but its something you could look into.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larb