Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Quid posted:

Are wasabi peas actually peas? I had a bag of them at work and someone asked me. I had to tell them to be honest I didn't know and google was vague at best besides trying to sell me more delicious wasabi peas,

They're dehydrated(maybe?) and roasted peas covered with a yummy wasabi-based coating.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

benito posted:

Forget the temperature issues, you've spent a big chunk of your day working on a nice stock. At night the raccoons, stray dogs, cats, Sasquatch, and anything else that might possibly knock it over will be dying to drink that delicious substance. Even in the best case scenario you're going to have lots of ants.

An unheated, closed-door garage in the winter when it gets really cold? Maybe.

Also, this should be obvious, but don't put the hot stock in your fridge or freezer. Let it cool to room temperature first, otherwise you'll just warm up everything else nearby, leading to spoilage or freezer burn.

That gives me an idea. The next time I make stock, I'm repurposing my copper coil wort chiller that I use for 5 gallon batches of homebrew beer and using it for the stock. If any of you guys make a ton of stock and need quick chilling, making one of these is a great idea.

On topic, I'm about to smoke up a big chunk of pulled pork tomorrow. Is brining a good idea or is putting on some rub and saran wrapping it overnight good enough?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

MrBishop posted:

I was very satisfied with the results, but expanding on Mach420's question, is there some pre-cook prep that should be done to the meat to make it even more delicious?

edit:
Oops, checked my post in the grilling thread that I made about this, I actually cooked the thing 11 hours. Here's what this beautiful butt looked like after just two hours:

I'm going to skip the brining.

One of the things that I've read about is injection. It seems like a lot of competitive BBQ guys use it, so why not. It couldn't hurt. I'm making it from a recipe from a guy called Chris Lilly and will put some of that into the butt overnight.

Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Edit: The butt came out great. I foiled at 160 and kept it going to 190. Moist and delicious with South Carolina mustard sauce that I made.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 19, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Junior G-man posted:

How do I prevent my nonstick pans from 'popping' in the middle; forming a well or a hill in the middle? I know you don't put them from the flame straight into the water, but it still happens.

Do I need to heat them slowly slowly the first time to "temper" them or what am I doing wrong :(

I've had a very nice Tefal frying pan warp. Don't overheat it by trying to do higher heat stuff on it. Stick to a thick bottomed pan for that sort of stuff.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm having a hard time finding Field Corn for making Hominy. The Spanish markets have dried and fresh masa, but no plain dried corn.

Is there any reason why I can't just go to the farm supply store and buy a bag of horse feed?

I don't know if they have hominy specifically, but Sunflower Farmers Markets and Winco are national chains with a good assortment of bulk bins with grains and stuff. If you have one close by, give them a call or take a look.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 30, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
One of the more difficult things to do at first is building up a pantry, but the good thing about it is that after that happens, you can do a lot of things and the spices will be at hand.

I would suggest focusing on a single culture's food to start. That way, you don't have to buy a bunch of new spices and ingredients every single time you make something new. If you go from Mexican to Japanese, to Indian, to French, you are going to spend a LOT of money buying things for the first time because each food culture has its own necessities that the others don't use.

Italian and Mexican are good international styles to start with, and their recipes are generally very affordable until you want to get fancy and go for top quality imported ingredients and such.

Also, if you have Mexican groceries nearby, their "El Guapo" brand bagged spices are a lot cheaper than the bottles of McCormick at your local American grocery store.

Keep it simple. I don't have to tell you that but there are a lot of recipes floating around out there and the simpler, cheater recipes are often very good to most people. Go fancy and "authentic" when you have the time, money, and taste bud experience to appreciate it. Everything doesn't need to be made from scratch. Subbing canned or bottled things here and there is ok to start with and it will normally still save you a good amount of money compared to eating out, and a lot of time too.

If you are very stretched for cash and time, make big batches of things that handle freezing well. Soups, chillies, curry, stews, and such tend to be good for this. Make a big batch, have some for dinner and the next day, then freeze in portion sized containers. Mix it up and plan ahead so that you're not eating beef stew straight for a week.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 4, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

homerlaw posted:

My dad just bought ~5 pounds of assorted peppers mainly Jalapenos and Serranos, outside of salsa what can I do with them?

Have a grill? Make some Atomic Buffalo Turds, or ABTs.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

RazorBunny posted:

After making pho from scratch, I have a ridiculously huge amount of the spices left over. Korean grocery stores never seem to sell herbs and spices in small quantities.

I was thinking of using some of the cinnamon, cloves, and star anise to make mulled cider, and fennel seed is part of my Italian sausage recipe, but what do I do with the black cardamom pods and the whole coriander seed? Besides make more pho, which I fully plan to do, but the recipe doesn't call for very much and I have LOTS. The coriander seed completely fills a standard-size sandwich bag, to the point of being difficult to close.

Sounds like you have most of the ingredients for Indian curry or garam masala.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Yes. Toast the whole spices first, then grind!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

A jargogle posted:

Ok, I'd like to preface this by saying i'm a total nooby to cooking in general (I can make basic stews and bolognese). Additionally, i'm a student, and I live in the UK at the moment, read into that as you will ;).

Anyway, i've eaten out once or twice in the past two months at places that served japanese style ramen, and I really really enjoyed it on both occasions (I think once I had tonkotsu and the other... I can't remember). Obviously it was in a completely different league to instant noodles that I am understandably familiar with.

Hence, A couple of questions: How difficult is it to make such food at home? Are the ingredients typically difficult or expensive to acquire? What kind of equipment does one need to make it? Is one particular type harder than another to do correctly?

Thanks in advance :)

I can't help you with the noodles themselves, but you can make the broth yourself. The Hakata ramen thread will show you how.

Fresh ramen noodles are worlds above the stuff that comes in the cups and packets. Unfortunately, I can't help you there, since I just buy those fresh noodles from the local Asian market. The only dried packet ramen that comes close is the Myojo Chukazanmai brand. They don't prefry their noodles and it comes out similar to the fresh ramen texture. Unfortunately, they tend to be 3 or 4 times what the lovely noodles cost per packet.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

The Midniter posted:

I need some help with my steaks. Last night I cooked a 1.25 inch thick bone-in strip steak in my cast iron pan. I let the steak come up to room temp, salted it just before cooking, and got my pan as hot as it could get. First, I rendered some fat from the side of the steak. Then, I did 2 minutes on one side, checked it, and it was starting to carbonize rather than form a nice crust. I flipped it and did only 90 seconds on the other side, and it didn't carbonize this time. I took it off the heat, let it rest for 10 minutes, and the interior was more blue than the rare I desired. Why is this? Was the steak just too thick? How can I cook it in a cast iron pan without having to throw it in the oven, and have it result in a nice crust with a rare interior? I ate it anyway, and while it was good, it could've been slightly more done.

Your temperature may have been too high. With a thick steak, a super hot pan will make the outside charcoal before the inside warms up enough. Turn down the heat to where it takes a longer time for it to sear.

Also, why can't you use the oven?

Chemmy's idea is also good. It's called the "reverse sear."

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Comic posted:

Well I ask because my experience with thinner handles on knives is that I'm really not comfortable using them- and I can never get a good grip to do things that require a little strength.

If you really want a good, general purpose knife that can last through the apocalypse, get a full tang, forged, good German knife.

Thick blade, pretty good metal, solidly built with a full tang and strong handle, heavy, super sharp but not razor blade sharp, can stand up to some abuse unlike hard but brittle Japanese knives. Good grips, ergonomics, and hand feel will depend on the make and model.

Buy a knife with as many of these attributes as you can afford.

In any case, Victorinox knives have been tested. They aren't the best of the best, but really, what are you planning to do with your knives. They are good enough for almost anything you can throw at it.

A standard chef's pinch grip should give you more than enough strength to handle almost anything. Two hands, one in the pinch grip and the other pushing down at the halfway point of the blade should be able to handle even the hardest of cheeses. I'm talking a thick slice off of a hard block of aged parmaggiano cheese.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

benito posted:

There are those mystical legends of stock pots that have gone on for decades without starting over. You take what you need, and when the pot gets low, you strain, add more bones and veg and herbs and water and keep going.

I grew up in the Memphis BBQ tradition, where letting the flavor of the rib bones develop in the meat took 8 or 12 hours. When roasting a whole hog or half hog, the time was even longer, stretching into a full 24 hours.

Bones really add amazing flavor, whether you're talking about fish or fowl or flesh. Sometimes I'll take a rack of lamb, slice the meat off the ribs to make a sort of ribeye roll, and then roast the ribs and scraps for a sauce to serve over the delicate lamb ribeyes.

I love BBQ. There's nothing like smoking an 8 pound chunk of pig over coals and hardwood smoke for 10-12 hours, and then reaping the results. Bones and slow cooking tends to lead to delicious results when cooking tough cuts of meat.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

I like turtles posted:

I want to roast a pig. Please tell me where my process is missing something/could be improved.

1. Obtain pig. Remove head and legs. Fully debone the carcass.
2. Take the meat mat that was the outside of the pig and season liberally with salt, pepper, lemon zest, fennel seed, whole onions, fennel bulbs, olive oil, whatever else looks good.
3. Take all the meat that didn't come off with the mat and lay it inside.
4. Distribute butt and ham meat as appropriate (maybe cut off bone, maybe leave whole?)
5. Season all that similarly.
6. Roll it all up into a pig log of relatively uniform thickness

Now this is where it gets tricky - I like the idea of a subterranean oven but I'm in a rental house, and I live in Arizona so the ground is like a goddamn rock and I'd spend a couple days digging out a hole by hand.
I don't have an oven capable of handling this done with an adult pig.

Do I have any good options for hands-off roasting?

1.Know a guy with a huge trailer-pulled barbecue pit.
2.Cut the pig up and roast it in sensible sections in your oven.
3.Build a wooden box pig roaster, like a "La Caja China" brand roaster.
4.Skip the boning and see if it's legal, both with your municipality and landlord, to build an above ground firepit and rotisserie with cinderblocks and some big sticks. If you have a lot of cinderblocks, make a firepit, but put a huge loving grate on top and maybe butterfly the hog.

I wouldn't recommend 3 and 4 to a newbie. Hell, I wouldn't trust the first suggestion unless your bbq pit owning friend has some experience in this sort of thing.

What in the world made you think that this was a great project to cook up when you've never done it before, presumably don't know anyone who has, and don't have the equipment for it?

Rolling it into a log will play hell on your cooking times and meat consistency throughout, especially with an adult pig sized hunk. Your log will be fully cooked on the outside and raw on the inside. Log idea is bad.

Think this through. That's a lot of pork, a lot of money for the pork, and more money to build things.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 12, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

The Midniter posted:

My local Vietnamese restaurant (Vietnam Grille in Charlotte) is notorious for using the absolute freshest ingredients and using traditional methods for their recipes to much acclaim. I am addicted to their pho, but when I putting my day's menu into the myfitnesspal app I use, all the examples of pho listed have huge huge huge amounts of sodium. That's understandable if it's a commercially prepared pho, but I know this place makes its broth just like one would make a stock (much like a can of chicken broth in the supermarket vs. homemade stock). Does traditionally-made pho broth contain a lot of sodium?

Much of the sodium will come from fish sauce.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Hopefully I didn't just miss a thread somewhere, but are there any primers or anything for someone that wants to learn more about cheeses? I really enjoy cheese but I never get the opportunity to try new varieties, and the local supermarkets here don't carrier anything nicer than Babybel (and my family already thinks those are "fancy" because they aren't Kraft singles). I'm hoping there is some place to learn more about cheeses so I can order a sampler or something, right now I now pathetically little and I'd like to get a feel for the different types and learn what foods / wines to pair them with, etc. So far all I know is that I really like Gouda and Dutch Edam.

Help me become and insufferably snooty cheese connoisseur!

The new open cheese thread!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Generalisimo Halal posted:

Make a pesto pizza. Make your pizza dough (or be a bitch and buy boboli or something) use the pesto instead of tomato sauce, and make the cheese a combo of fresh mozzarella and HARD ricotta. Add one more topping, two if you are intelligent and have any idea of how tastes meld. Realize ordering pizza is forever behind you.

Pesto, tomato, mozzarella cheese. Anything that has the latter should taste great with the former.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can any of y'all recommend a good source of cheap recipes? Me and my dad budget about $50 a week for food and we're getting a little tired of pasta.

E: a website, preferably; books cost money.

Check out the Poor People thread.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Serendipitaet posted:

What I don't understand about the cooking process is that all the recipes describe it like a slow roast: Low oven and lots of time, pulling it at a certain temp. Couldn't I just let it come to maybe 175° and keep it there for 5-6 hours, sort of like a "dry braise"?

Another vote for undercooked pulled pork. Slicing temperature is about 170F. Pulling temperature is anywhere from 190 to 200F. You need that time and temperature to let the tough collagens convert into yummy moist gelatin and for the fat to render out.

Pulled pork is done when the roast starts to fall apart in your hands or when you stick a fork into it and twist. Undercooked, the meat will be pretty solid, hard, possibly dry, and resist pulling. Overcooked, like at 210-215F, the meat will still fall apart easily, but it will be incredibly dry.

I just made one yesterday on my smoker, and the difference in feel between undercooked and perfect when you stick a fork in it and twist is huge.

Check out this guy's pulled pork. That's what the butt should feel like when it's done. Falling apart. Forget cooking by time. It's done when it's done, so trust your fork, not the timer. Keep your oven around 225 to 250F the whole time for the best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWh4a4s20A4&feature=youtu.be&t=13m34s

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 18, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

uberwekkness posted:

I get really paranoid about fruits and vegetables spoiling, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How can you tell if romaine is bad? This has a couple brown spots (small ones), and the edge of some of the leaves is kind of bumpy...? Is it okay to eat?

Yea, big sections of brown, sliminess, mold, large portions of disintegrating leaves are bad.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Here come the crappy cellphone pics!

We've only used one so far; the others still have labels on them. The one we've used is pretty sharp; the boyfriend used it to cut up roast spuds yesterday. I like that these knives feel heavy in my hand.

They look alright. Good thick handles, full tang. I can't tell if they're serrated or not, nor the steel that they're made of. If they are serrated, my condolences. If not, use and take care of them for a couple decades.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 19, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

henpod posted:

Cool, thanks. I understand that frozen vegetables lose some nutrition, but is it a significant amount? I guess, tinned are better, with fresh obviously being the best?

I know gently caress all about vegetables.

I really think that tinned veggies would be the worst. They've been cooked all to hell, canned, then sitting on a shelf for months. I'd go fresh, frozen, then tinned for nutrition.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, so my oven seems to leak a lot of heat through the top. I looked inside the oven and noticed there's a square hole in the roof of the inside of the oven, venting all this heat out. Is this normal?

What the hell? Did someone steal your broiler element or something?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

I like turtles posted:

Requesting a rice pudding recipe. The last remaining guy from the warehouse that got outsourced is leaving October 31st and has been mentioning rice pudding recently.

Like, what kind of rice pudding? Western style dessert-like stuff or an Asian style rice porridge?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

SnakeParty posted:

Definitely going to try this out, thanks so much.

I think we will use all those veggies, and try out both "asian" and "mediteranean"

My Chinese grandmother makes a variation of this, which I really like. The differences in the recipe include a teaspoon of sugar in addition to the salt and pepper, and the finishing technique after steaming it.

She takes 2 or 3 parts cilantro, 1 part of some roughly cut green onion, and a bit of thinly sliced ginger and lays it in a thick layer of about 1 to 2 cm on top of the fish. Then she takes about two or three tablespoons of very hot, almost smoking, oil and pours it into the vegetables to give it a quick fry. Looks impressive, smells even better. Serve immediately, and give each serving a healthy amount of the oil-blanched garnish as well as a spoonful of some of the fish juice/soy sauce at the bottom of the foil/steaming dish.

She tends to add the soy sauce after it's cooking, and before doing the above with the garnish. She says that cooking the fish with the soy sauce changes the flavor into something she doesn't like.

Also, soy sauce really needs a bit of sugar to round out the taste into something of beauty. Straight salt and soy sauce tends to give food a noticable bitter and bad taste.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 31, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

SnakeParty posted:

Boy am I glad I checked this before we finished the trout. I will definitely try this. Any oil will do? I am gonna use olive oil...

Olive oil works fine if you like the flavor with Asian ingredients. Some do, some don't. I think it's great.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Glad to see that it was a hit!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

taqueso posted:

You are right to wash the rice and add water after the rice. I'm inclined to blame the cheap cooker.

How big is that cooker? 5 cups? Cooking minimum amounts sometimes does not work out that well on cheap cookers. Try doing 2 cups. That'll give it more time for the water to boil through before it all boils off and it switches to warm mode.

The quality of rice is also suspect. It'll likely be older rice that has been sitting for a while. You'll want a touch more water, like maybe 10-15 percent more, for old rice.

If it keeps giving bad results, hop down to your local Asian grocery and try some of that, or see if your regular grocery carries a real Asian brand of rice.

I still think it's the cooker though.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

particle409 posted:

The rice is from my local Walmart, which probably has a lot of turnover, so the rice is fresh. I've been trying to cook one cup of rice in this 6 cup cooker. I'll try cooking two, and seeing if that works.

Old rice is fine as long as the water amount is adjusted for. The Asian store's big rice bags often have years of production listed on them but the Goya rice does not. Who knows how long it's been sitting in a silo or distribution center. In any case, it may not be as fresh, regardless of Walmart stock turnover, so some extra water will probably make it better. Go and experiment with the amount of water that you use. More water and larger amounts of rice will boil the water and rice longer, helping the rice cook and fluff up properly.

If all else fails, you can try the Japanese technique of letting the rice absorb residual rinsing water for 20 minutes after rinsing and straining it, adding the right amount of water, then letting it sit for another 20 or 30 minutes in the cooker before turning it on. That will soften the rice up slightly. It's usually done with Japanese short and medium grain rices only, but hell, give it a try if nothing else works.

In a cheapo 6 cup cooker, you'll definitely want to cook a good amount of rice in it. I've found that expensive Japanese fuzzy logic/microchip controlled cookers do well with amounts of rice near the minimum capacity, but simple temperature cookers do not. They will burn the bottom and often give undercooked rice if you try and cook minimal amounts. At least Jasmine rice keeps well in the fridge for the next day or two if you make more than you need.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 5, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

casual poster posted:

Is it cool if I add beef broth in addition to water, into my crock pot while making pulled pork? This recipe (http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq-pulled-pork-recipe-for-under-15-easy-and-frugal/) doesn't call for it, but last time I made a meal like this I used it and it came out tasting great.

I would personally go for some apple juice, since it tends to match the flavor of pork better, but if you and your family like it, go for it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Lyssavirus posted:

Also a major mistake people make is to trust the pop-up buttons turkeys often come with in them. They're a horrible way to discern if the food is done.

Also stuff butter under the skin over the breast with your herbs of choice. good times.

Yes, the button pop up thermos are pretty bad. Use a good digital probe thermometer like this. You don't need an 80 dollar thermapen, but these thin probe thermos are fast as you would ever really need them to be and can be used year round on any meats and breads that you make. The cheap analog dial thermometers are pretty horrible too.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

traveling midget posted:

Opinion on this Henckels 7" Santoku?

I don't like the grantons and how close they are to the edge. After a long while, you'll sharpen it up to the point where you'll hit the grantons and that will screw up the edge. It's just something to keep in mind if you're planning to get a santoku and keep it for a long long time.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Sorry for going a few pages back, but I had another question about knife sharpeners.

http://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BCsthof-2904-7-W%25fcsthof-2-Stage-Sharpener/dp/B0009NMVRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322576226&sr=8-1

The two-stage sharpener wasn't mentioned. Is there a reason why you guys wouldn't recommend this? I have one for Asian knives and one for German, and I think they work great. I work in a kitchen store, so I try to make sure what I sell is goon-approved. :)

They work as sharpeners, but not that well. The carbide part also has a tendency to make the knife edge wavy or puts a small dip in it from the front to the back of the blade after many uses. It takes off more metal than other sharpening methods, reducing the lifespan of the knife. The edge it makes is alright and usable, but isn't nearly as good as hand sharpening on a stone.

Basically, those are low effort, easy to use sharpeners to use on cheap knives, and not nice ones that you might want to keep and use for decades.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 30, 2011

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

standard owl posted:

How do you care for a mortar and pestle?

It's a chunk of rock. Really, all you have to do is wash it once in a while, and if you are doing particularly fragrant things like cumin that you don't want to spread to other things you're pulverizing, put a bit of baking soda and water in it, let it sit, and then rinse.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

standard owl posted:

Cool, I was just worried that I might accidentally do something akin to soaping up cast iron or taking a metal scrubber to a nonstick pan :toot:

Just don't soak it in acidic stuff for long periods, but yea, it's easy as hell to take care of, and it's way better than any bladed spice grinder for the purpose.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

psychic onion posted:

Request for some recipe help: I tried frying a bunch of pork shoulder in lard with the goal of carnitas in mind. What I got could best be described as 'pork chop' in texture, with none of the stringy tenderness I love. Is it possible that I simply cooked the meat at too high a temperature for too long?

You missed the slow cooking part of it. Either braised or put into a smoker or oven at 225-250 for hours and hours. That gives sufficient time for all of the connective tissue to melt, which pan prep just doesn't do.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Fists Up posted:

I accidentally left a non stick pan on the stove for about 10-15 minutes with nothing in it.

There was smoke coming off it and now its got some kind of brown oil stuff on it that looks like food but definitely isnt.

Is it hosed?

Since it was non-stick, it's probably not that safe anymore.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

The Third Man posted:

What is the best solution for keeping stock on hand? I don't want to buy a dozen cartons of stock, and don't eat enough chicken to keep the homemade good stuff around, so is there something out there a little nicer than bullion cubes?

A jar of "Better than Boullion" paste is decent and true to its name.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

bringmyfishback posted:

I made cheesy leeks tonight following this recipe (Jamie Oliver):

6 large leeks, trimmed and washed
• Olive oil
• A knob of butter
• 5 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
• 2 garlic cloves
• 100ml single cream
• 100g cheddar, grated
• 50g parmesan, grated
• 100g brie

Caramelized and baked them according to the recipe. They came out perfectly, but I feel like there was a certain blandness to the recipe. Any suggestions for perking it up a bit? I thought maybe some paprika for next time...

I find that black pepper, mustard (yes, really), and a small pinch of onion and garlic powder go well with cheese sauces. Paprika is good too.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Two Headed Calf posted:

^
That

Put some in a bloody mary, leftover pizza, cold peanut spicy noodles, or in a peach chutney.

Whats the diffrence between Sambal Oelek and Sriracha? Is sambal just more tart than the Sirracha?

Sambal is slightly more tart and quite a bit saltier. The texture is also more of a rougher mortar-ground paste rather than thick smooth ketchup, as Sriracha is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Can anyone tell me what these are?

Astranagant is right. C clamps. Those things at the bottom are used as anchors so that you can put them into anchor holes in tables and stuff.