Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

mich posted:

I think those Shiritaki noodles are gross and you shouldn't bother looking for them. It's not just a matter of not being the same, they're just not good and any attempt to make low carb noodles and bread is just going to turn out to be subpar food. Deal with it and eat real food, there are tons of great vegetables and meats and ways to cook them. If you can't live without noodles and bread just eat a small amount. Take dino's perspective on vegan food which focuses on good food that happens to be vegan instead of using fake meats and attempts to replicate meat products in an inferior manner. This same perspective should apply to a diet that minimizes grains and sugars because attempts to make pizza and pasta are going to be plain out inferior just like fake meats.

Shirataki is fine, especially the kind that's not made with tofu. Use it with Asian recipes using Asian sauces and ingredients. Don't just dump some spaghetti sauce and meatballs on it and expect it to be like regular spaghetti, because it isn't, and you will be disappointed. Taken as its own, unique, and special ingredient, it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

This is good advice. Mich, have you considered trying to cook Asian food for once?

It's great in stir fries, yakisoba style with meats and veggies mixed in.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

mich posted:

Fair enough on using Shiritaki wish Asian ingredients, though I must strongly discourage using them to make bún thịt nướng, bún bò Huế, phở, hủ tiếu, mì xào dòn, bun rieu, bánh canh, mì Quảng, bánh hỏi, or bánh tằm cà ri.

I don't understand most of that post. Guess it's I who should expand my horizons.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Your first post was just funny when you told an Asian to try eating Asian food.

And now it's even better because it's an Asian telling another Asian to eat try eating Asian food.

I've run into a couple people who have only tried tomato or alfredo sauces with shirataki, which ends up in the uncanny valley of foods.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Camembert posted:

How long does home-cooked fried rice last for? I heard once a long time ago that rice isn't supposed to be kept longer than a day because it can get some kind of bacteria that causes food poisoning (? something like that) but not sure if this applies to fried rice? It was steamed rice which was cooled and put in the fridge then fried the next day with veggies, egg, oil, and seasoning. I made a bigger batch than intended and have lots of leftovers.

I've never had a problem with rice that's even 3 or 4 days old.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm trying to make homemade raviolis and I've got some issues.

Is this an issue tied to the mixture I am using?

Thanks!

I could almost swear that Alton Brown had mentioned on a show (lasagna?) that having salt crystals in the dough is a recipe for disaster because of holes. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

a handful of dust posted:

I had some smoked ribs at a barbecue recently, and now I'm craving more. The ones I ate came out of a smoker the size of a trailer, but all I've got at home is a Weber kettle grill.

Is there a way I can smoke meat low and slow with this thing? I haven't really used it for much aside from high-heat grilling.

What size of a kettle is it? If you have a bit of extra money, you can make a sweet little smoker out of a Weber smokey joe and a 25 dollar tamale steaming pot.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Kimitsu posted:

I ate half a banana yesterday, and put it in the fridge so I could finish it today. My sister, at some point in these past 24 hours, moved it to the freezer. Now it's sitting out on a counter thawing at room temperature.

This is especially silly because all I wanted was to slice it up on top of cereal as a late-night snack - but with the bananas having been frozen, is the texture going to be changed through that and the thawing process? (Or rather, should I just give up on the banana topping and pan-fry it instead?)

For cereal, no that will be fine.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I have some left over cooked roast Turkey I want to use up in a fried rice. Even though the meat is already cooked would it be worth it to velvet the meat like you would if it's Raw?

Maybe. If the meat is dry, I'd velvet it up and give it a short heating period to cook the starches, then mix in to the fried rice. It all depends on if you want to have a bit more "gravy" on the turkey or not.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

SatoshiMiwa posted:

How long do whole fresh chili peppers keep in the fridge. Local market has them on special ending soon but not planning to make chili quite yet. Will they keep a week in the fridge?

I've found that peppers last a pretty long time, 2-3 weeks, when kept in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge. Stored loose, non-airtight, they may go a week before they start looking like green raisins.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Is it just me or do cheaper knives resist rust better than high end knives? What's different in the steel recipe?

Some high end knives use high carbon steel for its improved edge granting abilities, but they can stain or rust. High performance, high maintenance. The cheapest knives just use a lovely and soft stainless alloy, so while they wont rust, they will not hold an edge for anywhere as long and can't ever get quite as sharp an edge as good stainless or carbon steel due to the properties of the metal itself. The good stainless knives use a stainless alloy that can both resist rust and stains, as well as hold an edge.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
I tried making baked chile rellenos using queso fresco, but the melted cheese came out hard and grainy. Is there a difference between different brands of queso fresco or should I have used something like mozzarella?

Also, I could have sworn there was a Mexican food thread but now I can't find it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Queso fresco doesn't melt. Use queso blanco or queso quesadilla.

Excellent, I'll try that on my next batch. I knew something was wrong when I didn't get anywhere close to the amazing soft and gooey cheese that I've had at restaurants.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

I made some lamb stock last night, because people kept telling me I should so as not to waste the bones.

I have no idea what to cook with it. Basically every single dish I find wants me to make it while cooking some kind of lamb meat, then using it with the meat. Are there ways to use it effectively in non-lamb dishes? I'm not against it, but lamb is expensive.

Taco night?

Lamb flavor goes amazingly well with curries.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Stalizard posted:

I got some big lamb steaks. It looks like it comes from the leg, there's a huge bone in the middle full of marrow. I hear marrow is all sorts of tasty but I've never had it or tried to cook it. I've also never cooked lamb.

Do I just cook this like a normal cow steak, say, medium rare? Is there any way to enjoy both a tasty steak and the marrow in the bone? I hear marrow is supposed to be broiled or some such, my crappy apartment broiler doesn't work but I do have a blowtorch.

Help me, what do I do?

I once got a boneless leg o' lamb and cut some steaks from the top. It was really tasty grilled medium rare, but definitely a bit on the chewy side in some areas. I'd have given those lamb steaks a B overall just for that. They were still mouthwatering good though.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can't buy one of each, because they pack them at the grocery, but here's one item from the haul.

What is that, and how do I cook it?

EDIT: what should I do with enoki mushrooms?

Enoki mushrooms? Saute them in some oil and then finish with a touch of oyster sauce. You can thank me later.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 23, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Because I like fried rice every day. That was my question, whether I could indefinitely grow them in a cup of water or eventually have to plant. I obviously need to do some reading on growing plants... Thanks!

I've got a lot of green onions growing outside in Utah weather (shaded but desert-y, lovely sandy/clay soil.) I water them occasionally and they get huge and drop seeds. They grow perfectly fine in this weather. If they can handle this, they should do good in most any well drained soil.

They'll grow to about 3-4 feet and then grow a bulb at the top, which will sprout a 2 inch pom pom of flowers and then seed pods. At that point, the flavor suffers and the shoots start drying out and getting a bit woody. Use them while the shoots are about 1 foot for the best flavor, but if you want to grow some more, let some longer shoots grow and get pollinated. Save the seeds. You will never be short of green onion again in your life.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 23, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Well, the (liquid) mustard doesn't really add any mustard taste. It's more for helping the rub stick than anything else.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Captain Payne posted:

Does anybody know how to successfully cook a chicken breast in a George Foreman grill? Whenever I put them in there, the skin crusts really quickly while the inside stays below 140F (and I'm supposed to be aiming for like 160 right?). I usually just rub a thin coat of olive oil over the breast before putting it in--should I be using something different?

Also, would shallots that I've had in the fridge for a little more than 2 weeks still be good?

Does it have a temp control? If not, you're doing it right with olive oil and salt, but you should butterfly the breast if it's too thick and it comes out too charred on the outside. Butterflying or pounding it with one of those tenderizer hammers will thin it out and help it cook faster and more evenly.

If the shallots aren't moldy, slimy, or reminiscent of a really dry raisin, they're fine.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

squigadoo posted:

I didn't dry the chicken thoroughly, just let it drain in a sieve over the sink. When I rolled the chicken in the cornstarch, it stuck nicely so I had high hopes.

A while back, I tried to make sweet and sour pork where the recipe was about the same (marinate, pat, cornstarch), and the crust was also bad. Tasted good though.

I'm trying to make karaage following a recipe at justbento.com. And now that I've made myself look like a weeaboo, I am using her cookbook for lunchboxes and hers looks puffed and nicely coated.
Sweet and Sour Chicken/Pork batter

2 cups water, ~110-115 degrees fahrenheit
1/2 an egg, beaten
1/2 tsp baking powder
batter mix - 4 parts flour to 1 part corn starch. Maybe have about 2 cups of this ready to add to the water, give or take.

Mix water, eggs, baking powder. Then add the batter mix and beat it until you have a smooth pancake mix-like consistency.

Let the batter rest for half an hour - let the baking powder do its job.

Season the chicken with your preferred mix of salt/sugar/white pepper/msg optional, or whatever your recipe states. The seasoning is mostly all in the chicken, not the batter.

Dredge the chicken directly in the batter. No need for a cornstarch coating or egg pre-dredge. The chicken should not be that wet. That stuff should stick well to it. The coating should be healthy and thick, about 1.5 to 2mm coating the chicken. If it runs off quickly, you need to add some more batter mix and thicken it.

As soon as you lift the chicken out of the batter, immerse in oil at about 325-350F. Watch your fingers.

The restaurant method is to par fry until lightly past white into golden brown, give them a good shake in the fry basket to break off the ugly "fingers" of batter so we have nice rounded pieces as well as letting some excess oil drain off, let cool and rest (actually we freeze them for storage), then finish frying thawed pieces at 325F for about 2 minutes when an order comes. Frying it all at once might work - I think we do this for mass production and storage reasons. Experiment?

This is straight from a Chinese take-out restaurant, fudged a bit because I make 5 gallons of this stuff at a time but it should be close. If I downsized the recipe correctly, you should have super puffy, light and crunchy batter on your SS chicken or pork. If it comes out a bit too airy, reduce the baking soda and slightly reduce the amount of egg. If the coating is too puffy and you're struggling to find the chicken inside, it's probably too thick. Reduce the water. If it comes out too hard, you either fried it for too long, or the batter was probably too watery to puff up correctly. It'll end up looking a bit craggy and may be hard/sharp enough to do a number on the roof of your mouth, as well as the chicken being drier. Add more batter mix and thicken it up a bit in this case.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 4, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

I've gotten regular yogurt down but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make the nice, creamy, custardy fruit stuff like these:

I love those loving things and they can't be bought here. I strain my yogurt to make it Greek-ish but it's not creamy, and I'm not sure how to add an even fruit flavor instead of chunks. Especially with something like lemon.

I think that super creamy stuff may be either whipped or have added thickening starch, or something like that. As far as the fruit, you may want to look up something like lemon preserves and do something in that vein, putting additional lemon flesh into it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Hed posted:

Someone unintenionally washed our sifter out with water, and it had flour in it. Any easy way to break up these glutenous pasty blobs that remain between the grates? At a quick glance the thing doesn't look easy to disassemble... there are several things I can think of to try but they run the risk of making it worse.

An overnight soak, along with a toothbrush for truly stuck on bits should work.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Honey Badger posted:

How long / well does grilled food keep? Most of the time I end up grilling its just for myself or maybe or 1 or 2 other people, and I feel like I am wasting a lot of charcoal, especially since it isn't exactly cheap. Can I just grill giant mounds of meat and store it away, or does it get gross quickly? I'd obviously prefer fresh, but it seems like such a waste.

I store several pieces of Char Siu when I make it. I freeze and then reheat with a combo of microwave and oven to recrisp the outside. Dunno about anything else, but stuff should reheat ok for a few days in the fridge.

If you really want to save on charcoal, just get a Weber Smokey Joe. It's about 30 dollars and perfect for 2-3 person meals and is a miser with charcoal. You can also easily convert it into a water smoker. Also, stock up on charcoal during Memorial Day, Independence day, and Labor day sales. Home Depot and Lowes have deals like 8 bucks for 40 pounds.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Phummus posted:

I smoked a 9 pound pork shoulder yesterday. It took much longer than I anticipated, so I didn't even shred the pork until about 10:00 PM. It was fuckin' delicious. Whats the best way to reheat it for pulled pork sandwiches? I was thinking foil pouches in the oven? Also, what are some other uses for pulled pork?

If you want moist reheated pulled pork, slowly reheat on the stove with a medium-low setting with a splash of apple juice mixed with a little bit of your dry rub. Smoked pork makes great soft tacos.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Agent355 posted:

If I'm cooking anything with vegetables that you sautee what order do you typically start cooking the veggies in?

For instance right now I have some beef stroganoff on the stove with onions and mushrooms. I started cooking the onions first, threw in the mushrooms after, and ground hamburger (because I can't afford real cuts of beef) last before all the goodies for the sauce and what not.

I'm not sure that was right however. What veggies take the longest to cook? I'm assuming there is alot of variables but just in general.

Things that take a long time to cook include broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onions... Basically anything that's thick, solid, and non leafy should be added first before other softer, thinner, leafier veggies. Exceptions made for garlic and onions because they add flavor. Sounds like you did your beef stroganoff order correctly.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Clevername Lookhere posted:

Quick question about buying steak. I haven't bought steak much in the past but need to start... more red meat sounds like a good idea. Last time I went out and bought a NY strip, though, I ended up with one that seemed way too think to cook correctly. It looked more like a cube than a regular steak. Next time I head to the meat market / butcher's counter, what do I ask for to avoid this? Do I just have them cut it half or butterfly it or something? Or do I just look for a piece that looks better in the first place? Thanks!

Thick as hell steak? Ducasse it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

The Belgian posted:

Thanks! I was just unsure since there didn't seem to be an obvious way to tell if it was bad.

Just as an anecdote, a chunk of Pecorino romano has lasted for over 8 months, with occasional use, in a tupperware container in my fridge without molding up.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

coyo7e posted:

I feel kind of weird, but there used to be a barbecue/etc thread in GWS, I thought? Did it get gassed or something? I was looking to buy a new grill in the near future and was looking for somewhere to hear some opinions and experiences with different brands, etc.. Preferably with less "charcoal vs propane" and "bbq vs barbecue vs grilling" arguments than more.

There's the Slow Smoking Meat thread. The old one was closed during whirled peas.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Oz Fox posted:

What's the trick to cooking chow mein noodles? I basically boil about a pound or so at a time, then throw the whole thing into a non-stick pan with some vegetable oil. It never browns right, the parts that cook get stuck to the bottom of the pan and break off. Ultimately I'm left with a crappy, sticky mess.

That's actually lo mein, not chow mein. My restaurant uses a three step process. A big block of raw noodles is defrosted, then steamed until softish. It's then fried only with oil on a griddle until browned, then when an order comes, the chef grabs a handful, boils it for about 30 seconds, then in it goes into the wok with veggies and whatnot.

I'd suggest doing that. Steam them on a steamer tray for half an hour to 45 minutes, until they've gotten somewhat cooked and moister, but are still kind of hard. Take them out and rinse in cold water to cool them down. Let drain 10 minutes. For a pound of noodles, add a tablespoon or two of oil to a griddle or big saute pan on medium, add noodles, flip and loosen the noodles with tongs or chopsticks every minute or so until nicely browned. Let cool a bit. Then throw the noodles and veggies into boiling water for about 45s to a minute, strain out, drain for a couple seconds, and throw into the wok for the final heating. Add a bit of cornstarch slurry for the sauce, flavorings, and you're done.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 3, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I bought pizza dough, sauce, and cheese from Trader Joe's a couple days back. I just tried making pizza with it, and the toppings and crust look okay - the crust was a little white looking, but the cheese looked great. Unfortunately, when I cut into the middle of the pizza, the crust at the bottom is flat and translucent, and it looks like its totally undercooked to me. What happened here? What's going on with the crust?

Sounds like the oven wasn't hot enough, using a pan instead of a stone, too many wet toppings in the middle of the pizza, or too little toppings, such that the stuff on top cooks faster than the crust. Give us a bit more info!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Cooked on a metal pan looking thing covered with parchment paper (since it's filthy), probably more pizza sauce than needed, a lot of cheese (that is really loving hot ow). Maybe the yeast died or something? Also, I increased the temperature from 425 degrees to 500 degrees and burned the paper and the pizza as well. :downs:

gently caress it, I'll just starve tonight.

edit it looks like this:

Crust does look quite thick...you may want to thin it out a LOT. If you like thick crust, might I suggest par-baking the crust for maybe 5-8 minutes, taking it out, topping it, and then throwing it back in to finish. That'll let the crust finish baking before the toppings turn black.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

cuban posted:

More of a food I am looking for but I thought I would ask the foodies.
While in Japan I had some candy, it was a real grape, covered in a jelly/gummy bear like coating and rolled in fine sugar. Anyone know what this is called or who makes it? I got it out of a bin in a fine candy store.
It was amazing, I wish I had more. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds very much like you want mochi. You can get the flour from many Asian stores.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Chemmy posted:

Your steak will stay rarer if you sear it while it's cold, not sure why you guys are warming it up.

If a steak is too thick, a high heat sear will blacken the outside too much before the inside gets warm. Let it come to temperature on the counter to prevent this.

With thiner steaks done medium rare, yea, just leave it in the fridge until it's cooking time to keep the inside cool and rarer while getting a good sear.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Yehudis Basya posted:

So you go to a deli and they put oil and vinegar on your sandwich, and it's intensely yummy. What kind of oil and vinegar is it typically?

Balsamic vinegar and quality olive oil is a good classic combo.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I'd really like to make some BBQ sauce chicken this summer, but I don't have access to a BBQ. Is it possible to low and slow a whole bird in the oven, periodically taking it out to glaze with sauce like oven-baked ribs? Time/temperature recommendations if it is? I usually use ~3lb bird from whole foods.

Cook the chicken hot and fast as ColHannibal suggests. I'd suggest cutting the chicken into pieces - Drumstick, thighs, wings, breasts - and cover with dry rub, and bake on a grate so it doesn't get soggy. Get the oven to about 350F. Sauce the chicken once or twice in the latter half of the cook, because if you put it in at the start, the higher temps may make the sugary sauce burn. This may take about 35-45 minutes total in the oven.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

tarepanda posted:

I thought you weren't supposed to drain the pasta water, but keep it on hand to add to the carbonara if things got too dry/pasty?

I always save a bit of water if I can. If I grate too much cheese, then I can throw a bit of water in. Of course, I wing it each and every time instead of measuring.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Filboid Studge posted:

Has anyone tried cooking char siu on a charcoal grill?

It comes out better than restaurant offerings, where natural gas ovens are normally used.

Medium heat, bank the coals on one side, and have the meat on the other. Having the coals directly underneath may burn the hell out of the meat because of all the sugar in the marinade. You'll have to flip the meat every so often so it doesn't char badly. About 5-8 minutes before they're done, brush some honey on and allow it to caramelize a bit.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

ahmeni posted:

We usually steam vegetables every night due to its ease and retaining of nutrients. However the texture and blandness of steamed veg is starting to drive me nuts. Normally I'd probably steam and fry in something but the lady is on a calorie restricted diet for the next while. Suggestions for keeping things tasty without resorting to duck fat?

Chinese Oyster Sauce is a great for dark green veggies that are very vegetal in flavor.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I tried it, kind of flash cooking the onion in a wok for under a minute before I cooked everything else. I guess I waited too long, or cut things way to thin, as they just tasted like regular onions in the finished dish. Maybe they just put raw onion in and I was never smart enough to notice.

I don't know if this helps at all, but they might be dipping the veggies into a deep fryer for a few seconds if they were actually cooked. I used to work at a restaurant that did that for egg foo yung toppings. Once the EFY's were done, we'd deep fry onion and carrot slices for <10 seconds and throw them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any special techniques to making meatballs? I made some Pork/Leek meatballs the other night, and I found them delicious despite under spicing them. Though they were a little bit hard to make them meatballs instead of little patties in the pan. I know they won't be perfectly round unless I get a special pan, but just 'roundish' is good enough for me.

Are breadcrumbs necessary? I eat bread maybe once every 3 weeks or so and I never have crumbs handy.

I find that kneading the meat for about 5 minutes helps the texture some.