Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Black Cat posted:

Stupid questions ahoy!

Whats the best way to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts which I intend to chop into thin slices? Simplicity is key here. Tomorrow I'll probably slice one up before I cook it, throw it in a frying pan on medium heat and see how that plays out. I'll be mostly using them for alfredo pasta if that means anything.

For spices, I've heard here that grocery store spice racks are a taboo. I live in Austin TX so I should be able to find some decent fresh spices somewhere.

How long can tilapia fillets last in a freezer in the original sealed package? I FORGOT ABOUT THEM OK.

Pan fry the entire chicken breast first, then cut into slices.

A bit of salt, sugar, pepper, thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil, and garlic should taste pretty good.

The fish will keep for a couple of years at least. As long as the bag is sealed tight and didn't allow for freezer burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

klosterdev posted:

I'm looking to sear some salmon in the next couple days. I've seared tuna a couple times, and from experience, (for the most part) the less time I give it in the pan, the better. Does this also apply to salmon? Google searches have stated that since salmon is fattier, I can afford to cook it longer, but should I do so? The tuna steaks I've seared seemed to be thicker than most of the salmon steaks out there and I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm going to be buying sushi-grade salmon, assuming it's available at whole foods, for this. (is this a good idea?) I'm thinking I should cut it down the middle to make sure I have two flat sides to sear evenly.

What approach should I take? How long should I sear it at high heat per inch of salmon? Would a mostly-raw approach still be the best approach?

There's no need to pay 20 dollars a pound for sashimi grade salmon unless you use a super fast sear that leaves the salmon very much raw and cold on the inside. If you're cooking it mostly all the way through, go for the cheaper stuff. I will recommend wild salmon vs farmed though. It does taste a lot better.

Think about grilling if you have the access. I greatly prefer that flavor compared to a stovetop pan sear, especially if you can use charcoal.

The only thing you get with sashimi/sushi grade salmon is that you are hoping that the packaging company did something like a -20F freezing for a day or two to kill any parasites. The term is not regulated, so you're relying on reputation at that point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi#Safety

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 22, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

you ate my cat posted:

Any ideas on what types of places would sell rennet (not junket rennet like the grocery store) locally? I know I can get it online, but would prefer a brick-and-mortar option if possible. Asian markets? Brewing supply places?

Have a diary that makes cheese nearby?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Humphrey Vasel posted:

My parents insist on "reheating" a cooked whole turkey at 160C for 45 minutes and 180 for 15 more but that seems way too high. Can I do it at 90 or so for the same length of time or is there some safety rule I'm breaking?

Precooked from the store?

If you don't trust the food to be completely safe with cooking, cooling, and handling, cook until the internal temperature is 71C (160F) at the thickest part. If your turkey has stuffing and all that, you want to be absolutely safe, because sometimes the stuffing and part of the turkey does not cook through

Heating at 90C may get you a warmed, not hot turkey after 3 or 4 hours, assuming you keep the turkey whole. The higher temps your parents said sound correct as far as food safety goes, and it will also recrisp the skin. It will make it drier, but you'll have to live with that for a precooked turkey.

40-140 degrees F is the danger zone where microbes can start reproducing. You want to get the food out of that zone fairly quickly to be safe.

If it's from the store, follow the instructions and use a thermometer near the end if you don't want to take it past 71C to keep it moist as possible.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 24, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Bollock Monkey posted:

In other news, and for no reason other than I have nobody else to say it to, we got given a rice cooker for Christmas and I used it for the first time last night and oh god, it was so good. gently caress ceramic hobs, gently caress them so hard. It was fantastic to have nice rice for the first time in well over a year. It ended up on the 'stay warm' setting for about 10 minutes though because of a timing error and the very bottom of the rice went a little bit crispy. It wasn't unpleasant, but if I have to keep the rice warm for a while at some other point then I was wondering if I should add just a splash more water to stop it from getting worse?

A lot of standard rice cookers (not high end Zojirushi or Tiger models with the fuzzy logic controls) will do this if you keep it on warm for a long time. Don't put extra water in, as that'll make the top rice mushier. I'd always just scoop to nearly the bottom and leave the crust. Just make a little more rice than you think you'd need.

Some people eat the toasted rice crust as a special treat.

If the crust sticks when washing, soak the crust with a half inch of water in the pot for an hour or two and it comes right off with a sponge.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 4, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Favela Flav posted:

I kinda sorta need some advice about chicken thighs, if anyone can help me out...

They'll be fine. Take them to 165F+ and they'll be good to go.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

For some reason, not a lot of home cheese making in Korea. :iiam:

There's probably somewhere I can get it but I've never been able to find it, and no one I know has either. If pantyhose works fine, that's easy.

Maybe home tofu making kits? They have to strain the tofu the same way as those who make cheese.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

King Bahamut posted:

Thanks. Frying meat will accelerate that process/make filtering mandatory, correct?

Yes. Meat will drop a lot of proteins in its liquid which will turn brown and burn. So will frying breading, especially if you use a dry flour dredge. Batters tend to keep the oil cleaner.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Black Cat posted:

I gotta get some spicy food going for my sinuses, any suggestions?

I have some jars of queso here that need to be eaten. Would dicing up whatever the hottest pepper I can find at the local grocery store and mixing it into the queso work well? I need to figure out something other than chewing peppers.

Lots of stores have habaneros. If you can handle the heat, chop up one hab into a serving of queso and try it out.

Wasabi and strong horseradish can clear out sinuses pretty good too, but it's shorter lived as far as lasting heat.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

PST posted:

I couldn't find a sharpening or a knife thread so throwing it in here:

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359592596&sr=1-1

I've been debating the above for using on my kitchen knives. Searching around I mostly found advice relating to hunting knives, scissors and lawnmower blades. Forums that specifically discuss sharpening kitchen knives seem to be a little polarised between 'all whetstone all the time' and 'gadgets are great' so I was hoping some less knife-sharpening extremists might have an opinion.

If you have an $8 department store special, then a sharpener gadget like that is no big deal, to be quite honest. It'll take off a lot more metal than a stone and shorten the ultimate lifespan of your knife, but unless you have a nice knife that you want to be able to use for decades on end, it's kind of a "whatever..." thing. The edge made with one of those is pretty sharp and useable, but you will definitely be able to get both a sharper, more refined edge and a much longer lifespan if you sharpen with a stone.

Also, I think that there's a knife thread in TFR.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 31, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

So, I made macaroni and cheese tonight for a burrito and it's my first time making mac n cheese that didn't come from a box that rhymes with Melmeeta. The first part of the recipe said to mix equal parts flour and melted butter and let that bind together. Everything else in the recipe (milk/cream/cheese), I understood, but not as to why I needed that weird flour/butter mixture. Why?

And if you don't use it, you'll get it to where the oil in the cheese will start separating itself from the curds. Ever try to heat a chunk of cheese and have it turn into a gloppy and bubbly mess sitting in a HUGE pool of grease? The roux prevents that from happening.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Capsaicin posted:

Speaking of ground meat, I wanna make spaghetti. What's the best way to cook ground meat beforehand? Before, I've always boiled noodles, then put it in the pan with meat that has only been salt/peppered before pouring in sauce.

Best easy way would be to separate out a bunch of ground beef into smallish chunks, season with salt, pepper, garlic, what have you, then sear the ground beef with some oil. Once the beef is cooked, you can deglaze the pan with something like red wine for extra deliciousness. You can also use your spatula to cut the chunks into smaller bits after the beef is more crumbly after you're done with the cooking part

The best hard way would be to spend half your day tending over some authentically made bolognese sauce.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

After you do it a few times it really becomes quite quick to make.

Well, yea, it's quick, but simmering it just takes a damned long time. Still, it gets easy enough that you can just take a peek at the pot and give it a quick stir every 30 minutes or so after everything's been put in, so it's not like you have to hover over constantly it to have it come out right!

Both recipes on the GWS wiki look solid. If you want the best meat sauce that you've ever had (comparing it to sauces from a jar), give it a go.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 11, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Is there an easy way to get meat off the bone prior to cooking or browning chicken?
To explain, normally I just buy chicken thigh fillets.
But this time, for freshness, trying not to waste meat, and maybe make my own stock, and choosing to buy from what is considered here a decent chicken farm, I bought a whole chicken.
I'm no stranger to whole chickens because I roast them heaps, but this time I bought it just to cut it up and use in three different meals. I cut it up and used the breast for spicy chicken tortillas for one meal, then a stir fry for another. But I want to use the remaining meat, drum sticks and thighs and maybe wings if possible, for another recipe that traditionally doesn't use whole drumsticks or wings.
I'm thinking of making a peanut satay or thai green curry with some chilli and veg, and really I want the boneless meat from the drumsticks, wings and thighs. (edit: I know the thighs are simple to get boneless meat from, talking about the drum sticks and wings mainly)
Is the best way just to go at it with a knife, or maybe poach them so the meat comes off the bone, then a quick browning?
Help me goons.

Use the knife. You will want your knife to be sharp as all hell though. Any bluntness and it will be a pain to do. Make a long, deep cut along the length of the bone. You can then make thin cuts right next to the bone, working your way around to what amounts to shaving or peeling the meat off the bone. Once you loosen your way to the end, use your knife and cut the flap of meat completely off the joints.

Just like the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGYaVN_T_0

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Choppable posted:

I've made a dough that is supposed to rise for 2,5 hours. I'm off to work a night shift soon so I don't have time for that. Is the best option to leave it in the fridge overnight and finish tomorrow?

Yes. Put a very light coating of oil on it if you want, then wrap the doughball with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and form a "crust."

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Ron Don Volante posted:

Does putting raw spinach in fruit smoothies leave an odd taste? I hear it recommended all the time but haven't yet mustered the courage to try it myself.

It will leave a slight vegetal, raw greens taste in there that will be noticable. It'll taste "off" if you're used to fruit-only smoothies. Try it, you may like it.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 22, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Karb posted:

I have an incredibly stupid question that I haven't been able to answer with Google.

I see huge flareups in a lot of videos when cooking with high heat. The chef never seems to be worried and just kinda tosses the food around until it's not on fire anymore. Is this something that's expected when you're cooking anything that requires very high heat? Do you need a stove with 6 feet of clearance above it to make traditional Chinese food or whatever?

It's not a dumb question because western techniques and traditions never use it, so it's rarely discussed.

Chinese wok cooking techniques that involve catching the wok contents on fire? That is a fire hazard with regards to home cooking. Flames may lick the grease catchers in your hood and start a bunch of stuff on fire. If you're planning to ignite woks on fire, you really should do that only with an outdoor burner or in a restaurant that is set up for this. Don't do that stuff in your kitchen with a hood hanging 3 feet above your wok. You'll get some very tasty food, if you can eat it before you die in a raging inferno. Catching your food on fire like that is not to be done inside your house.

The fire generally occurs with high heat AND an open flame, especially the powerful jet-like burners that Chinese restaurants use. An electric or normal gas stove probably won't catch the contents on fire in most circumstances unless you are totally screwing up the temperature control in a bad way. Know that it's not the heat of the wok that causes the oil to catch on fire. The fire is caused by the oil, spattering heavily when food is added, which creates microdroplets in the air, combined with the chef flicking the wok in a way that the huge burner flame comes over the edge of the wok and catches that little cloud of microdroplets on fire. The flicking action also simultaneously flips the food into that fiery cloud of oil droplets, adding that famous "wok hei" flavor. It is not the pool of oil in the wok getting so hot that it smokes and then reaches the flash point. The wok does gets hot as hell to give a bit of browning to the food, but not hot enough that the pool of oil reaches its flash point.

Go ahead and stir fry at home. Just do not try to get that cloud of oil vapor on fire, and accept that the flavor will miss a little something from its restaurant counterpart. Plenty of Asian people stir fry at home without flaming the contents this way. Many Asians complement food by saying that it tastes like it comes from a restaurant, unlike here in the states, where we complement food by saying that it tastes homemade. This fire technique may have something to do with it.

Flambes and other cooking styles that utilize alcohol to create a flame are different. You can reasonably attempt that stuff on your kitchen stove if you can keep the flame away from ignition sources but you want to be very careful all the same.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 30, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

The easiest thing is to make Alton Brown shrimp and grits which is basically "pour bourbon on shrimp and light it so the booze fire does most of the work."

It's not an unknown Western method, it's just used less.

edit: With a gas stove I have set a pan or two on fire but never anything major. I've never gotten my wok to do the flame thing properly but I have honestly never put a lot of effort into attempting.

^^^ You can replicate it, but I can't stress enough that the oil flame is very unpredictable and can get huge if there's excess spattering from whatever reason. Seriously, 3-5 feet high sometimes. Don't burn your house down, man.

I would say that flambes are pretty different from lighting a wok on fire. Yes, there's fire, but the flavor gained and the method used for getting that fire are pretty different in my opinion. The oil flame size is often also a hell of a lot bigger compared to an alcohol flambe.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 30, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

CanUSayGym posted:

I'm new to cooking and storing food, but I assume that the ground beef I had in my fridge that is now brown isn't safe to cook and eat. I saw in YLLS a food storage image that a few have said is wrong but is there a good source on how long to keep certain foods at certain temperatures? Also, since I'm only assuming, is my ground beef not safe? I've had it in the fridge for ~ 2 weeks and was able to start cooking it for dinner when I noticed how it looked and figured I'd ask before killing myself with unsafe meat.

If it's been two weeks, It will probably stink when you open it up. Fresh ground beef should have a barely noticable non-offensive smell. If it stinks and makes you slightly pukey to smell it, it's gone off.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I'm reluctant to upgrade it because the owner of the place is meant to be putting in a stove at some stage so I'd rather just wait for that. What you described matches pretty closely with how it seems to work though.

The differences in ingredients are very helpful, thanks!

What makes you say that it'll ruin my knife? It's easy enough to get a wooden one, a glass one just seemed more hygenic and easier to clean to me.

Is it worth getting an electric slow-cooker thing? I've been told by several people that it lets you basically just throw a bunch of things in and it takes care of itself while you're at work. I can get one for around $60 for a reputable brand with clamps to hold the lid on and such.

Glass is extremely hard. If you touch your knife edge on it, it will pretty much start dulling the edge immediately on contact. Stick with wood or plastic boards, even if they are harder to clean.

Slow cookers are great for stews and braised meats. If you love to eat those, I can't see why you wouldn't want one.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
The flavor packet will cause overflows because it will make a huge number of bubbles when it's added. When you make that, follow these steps. Get the water boiling with the stove on high, then turn it down a bit. Add the pasta. All that cold stuff you're adding will stop the bubbling for a few seconds, but the bubbles will come back as the stove adds heat to the system and the pasta/water heats up. Turn down the heat to medium immediately after adding the pasta, to get a gentle boil. Once the bubbles have slowed down a LOT, only then add the flavoring packet. Once the packet is added, see if the heat needs any fiddling with to both maintain boiling, but not so vigorously that it makes bubbles that overflow.

If it can't be adjusted to that point, the electric hot plate is really screwed for anything besides boiling water, so you'll want to get a new one. I'd suggest a regular electric hot plate, either with the flat plate like you have now, or one with exposed coils, to start out with instead of the induction units recommended. It's only because you can't use pretty much any common non-stick cookware with induction stoves, and non stick is just so much easier to learn how to do things with than stainless. Stainless pans are great once you learn temperature control, proper times to flip, and other things, but before then, it's a ticket to a lot of ruined, burnt, stuck on food, and horrible soaking and scrubbing for someone new to cooking.

An induction stove limits you to pans with bottoms that will attract magnets, so it is pretty limiting at first. Even non-magnetic stainless steels won't work with those.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 20, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time getting my membranes to peel cleanly on my hard boiled eggs. The eggs are cold, I'm doing it underwater. Am I just getting thick membranes on my eggs? Or is there a better way to do this?

I poke the fatter air pocket end of the shell with a small pin before cooking. Insert a pin just far enough to puncture the shell without puncturing the actual egg white membrane thing. After cooking, 10 seconds in cold water and peel it. It's always easy and silky peeling that way for me. Plus, you can drop an egg into already hot water without ever worrying about it popping.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

I'm wondering if there's some way to deal with this and make it safe to use, or if I should just give up and buy a new saucepan. Tried Google already, but only advice it had was "use bleach", and that was the first thing I did.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this. Just figured that this was technically related to cooking, so this seemed like the best place to ask.

Is it non-stick? If it's just a plain metal saucepan, you can always get some fine grit sandpaper and rub it 'till it looks new. Steel wool may also work.

The metal was probably etched and corroded by the mold, so as long as you get all the biological gunk off, the white stuff is likely corroded metal. Ugly, but quite possibly safe. I will not guarantee that's what it is, however.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

walruscat posted:

This question was inspired by a post in the food picture thread: what is the easiest way to make pork broth? I can't find pork broth or pork broth cubes/powders at the store and I don't want to deal with using pork bones.

Asian stores, esp. Japanese or Chinese marts, are often a good choice for finding cubes and powders.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've got three chicken carcasses sitting in the freezer waiting to get turned into stock. I'd like to just reduce it as much as I can and freeze them into portions. Is this something I can do after work (so say 6pm to 12am) or does it take so long that I should do it on the weekend? Do I need to defrost the carcasses or can I just throw them into the pot as is? Other than the chicken bones I also need onions, celery and carrots, do I need anything else?

If you have a few bucks to spend, make a copper tube wort chiller. That's what beer homebrewers use to cool down massive amounts of boiled wort and it's the absolute best way to cool things down. Hook it up to your sink faucet, put the copper tube into the full pot of whatever, and magic happens.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

So I'm on a low carb diet (since march and I've lost +20lbs so far woop) so I don't eat pasta, bread and potatoes anymore. Well I do eat them, just not very often.

Now I want to make my favorite food, spaghetti and meat sauce, but spaghetti is off limits so I am looking for alternatives. I've made fake spaghetti by mixing eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husk and baking that on sheets in the oven, then cutting to strings. This makes a sorta ok pasta analogue but its a lot of effort.

A simpler version is shredding & boiling cabbage but it's just not that good IMO.

What else can I try? I'm looking at simply slicing Zucchini right now, will probably try it tonight. I've had sauteed bell peppers and they're quite nice, but expensive.

Japanese grocers, and sometimes other Asian stores carry noodles called shirataki or konyaku noodles that are extremely low carb or carb free. The white colored noodles, made from a combination of konyaku and tofu, are closest to spaghetti.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I gotcha. I am glad you are happy that you're on the track to getting in shape, and that the recipe worked out for you! And the fact that you've found a very awesome looking cheat meal for me to bookmark. Thanks!

E: I've got a mango that is a day or two from going bad, and I am sick of doing salsa and stuff with them. Ideas?

Mix some mango into vanilla ice cream.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Athenry posted:

Sounds like Fry sauce, which is just mayo + ketchup.

Fry sauce has pickle juice too. For one serving, I do 1 part mayo to 2 or 3 parts ketchup, 1/3 part pickle juice, and a bit of finely diced pickle. Add a couple drops of worcestershire or soy sauce to finish. A bit of garlic powder is optional. That'll get you a great pink sauce for whatever.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Yes, cook it now. The restaurant that I work at recieved a shipment of lobsters overnight air, and they all died in the box. When they got there that morning, they were pretty stinky and useless to us as food. Do what Tendales says.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Looking for ideas for plain old short grain calrose rice in the rice cooker. poo poo I can add to spice it up? I've tried chicken stock/bouillon, butter, sauteeing the rice with onion and garlic, saffron, tumeric.

Anything I should try?

Eating fish? Try boiling the rice with some kombu and katsuobushi, then finish off with some basic furikake seasoning mix.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is my goto breakfast. Microwave leftover rice, top with over easy eggs + soy sauce. I don't know why hot egg yolk + soy sauce is so loving good!

Umami explosion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Sjurygg posted:

Doesn't have to be a lot, just a couple of tablespoons. It's common to pour the oil over a stack of aromatizing stuff like fresh Sichuan peppers, sliced chilies, spring onions and ginger in fine strips, and the like.

After pouring the oil, don't forget to pour some soy sauce. A tablespoon sounds about right for an entire 8 pounder on a platter.

My family's mix of aromatics is strips of ginger, green onions, and cilantro in about a 1:4:6 ratio, respectively.