Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I know it's a stupid question, but I'm a germophobe, so… I just started cooking at a place I moved into somewhat recently, and this is the first place I've ever lived in without a dishwasher and only one sink. When I'm cooking chicken at home, and I'm doing the dishes, do I need to do up a cold water/bleach solution to sanitize the dishes? I know how to do that from the three times I got a foodhandler's permit, but do I need to do that at home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I should've been clearer; I was referring only to the stuff that the raw meat has to touch, like cutting boards and knives. I think you still answered my question, though. Thanks!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I got this Yancey's Fancy Wasabi Cheddar from a bistro in town. It looks good, but I can't find any recipes for it. I've tried Google, Epicurious, and Allrecipes but all I could come up with was a salmon recipe (I'm not crazy about seafood, including fish) and a few burger recipes (I've been eating a lot of burgers lately and I need to diversify). Do you guys have any ideas? I like spicy stuff—as is evidenced by the fact that I bought this cheese in the first place—and the only things I'm averse to are pork, mushrooms, and seafood.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I plan to make this tonight, but since I live in the middle of loving nowhere I don't have access to galangal. Can I substitute it with regular ginger (I know they don't taste the same) or should I just give up on the recipe entirely?

EDIT: Well, I did it, so never mind.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 24, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

What's a good spice for peanut satay? I thought about sriracha, but I try not to be one of those solve-everything-with-sriracha kind of cooks. The one thing I could find from The Flavor Bible that sounded like a good idea was cayenne. Any other thoughts?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just made this recipe myself for Peanut Satay Curry Ramen. I figured you guys may know enough about proportions to help me with it.

quote:

Peanut Satay Curry Ramen

Sauce:
1 jar (8 oz) Thai Kitchen Peanut Satay Sauce
1 tsp lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry seasoning (salt-free)
1 tsp cayenne
salt & pepper to taste

Main Ingredients:
2 bags Top Ramen (throw out flavor packets)
5 oz. diced chicken (I used pre-cooked chicken for expediency)
½ bunch green onions, chopped

Garnish:
1 handful peanuts
1 handful chopped cilantro

Cook the ramen normally. Drain it, leaving a little water. Add chicken, then green onions, then the sauce. Saute on medium heat until the rest of the water has evaporated. Serve with garnishes.

The pre-bottled sauce contains coconut milk, peanuts, galangal, and tamarind juice, among other things. (I stupidly threw away the bottle and I can't seem to Google up the ingredients.)

Anyway, I want the dish to have two dominant flavors: peanuts, then curry. In the draft above, the curry and cayenne overpowered the dish like crazy, so I'll cut both in half for my next try. Maybe I'll take out the turmeric too and rely on the turmeric in the curry. I don't think I need to use all of the sauce either.

What I'm asking is… Looking at the recipe, can you guys in your intuitive experience see any other places I can tweak? Any ingredients I can add or anything in the dish already strike you as unnecessary? Thanks!

EDIT: In fact, if you guys have any general advice on revising recipes, I'm all ears!

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just found out about foodpairing.be today. Do any of you have a subscription? Do you consider it worth the money? I already have a copy of The Flavor Bible (albeit the unwieldy Kindle edition, not the physical book), so I don't know if I could justify $20 American a month on the site's Pro version.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I'm working on a recipe for a light(er) version of Eggs Florentine. I want something that tastes light, centers on the basil, and doesn't have too much fat. I really want to replace the hollandaise with something at least marginally healthier. I thought about making an aioli instead, but obviously that's still an egg-fat emulsion.

Whatever I do with the sauce, I want it to contain chopped basil, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to cut the richness. Should I just throw them all in low-fat mayo and make a spread? A mixture of buttermilk and cornstarch like this? Any ideas?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 30, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Even though I'm trying to healthy up, I have an urge to feed the monkey by making this. Unfortunately, I live in Rural America, where somewhat esoteric ingredients such as Soya bean oil don't really exist. Any ideas what I can use as a substitute? The oil strikes me as the least influential ingredient in the taste, so I feel inclined to go with something commonplace like canola oil. What do you guys think?

Happy Abobo posted:

That's a tough one. Hollandaise is pretty integral to all of the Eggs Benedict variations. I can't think of many subsitutions that would cut the fat but still maintain the creaminess. Maybe some version of Skordalia, with the sundried tomatoes and herbs mixed in?

You could also try cooking the garlic, basil, and tomatoes in with the spinach: Make the spinach base extremely flavourful, and then skip the sauce entirely and use the runny yolk from the poached egg as a replacement.
I might try this next time. I ended up using this and just chopping the tomatoes and aromatics separately. Here's my current draft of the recipe…

quote:

2 eggs
2 English muffins, halved
1 clove garlic, minced
⅛ cup olive oil
¼ cup Parmesan, grated
About 5-6 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
About 10 medium-sized basil leaves
Handful of baby spinach
Lightened-Up Hollandaise Sauce

Make the sauce normally. Poach the eggs. Chop up the tomatoes and basil; reserve the four biggest leaves. Brush the English muffin halves with oil and garlic; broil. Put the English muffins on the plate, then top with (in this order) chopped tomato/basil mixture, then eggs, then Parmesan, then a basil leaf, then spinach, then the sauce.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 2, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I have a bottle of ras el hanout and I have about 4 oz. harissa left over from a Tunisian dish, but aside from the dish I just cooked I've never made or eaten Moroccan or Tunisian food in my life. Aside from Googling recipes (which I've been doing), do you guys have any resources (preferably Kindle books or "normal" recipes of famous dishes in the region) to get me started understanding the underpinnings of Moroccan or Tunisian cuisine? I speak a tiny bit of Arabic, if that'll help.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

pile of brown posted:

Not really a traditional anything but Ive made a ras al hanout beer batter for frying onions in, it was pretty awesome. probably be good to dip in harissa mayo too.

1c corn starch
2c flour
2 eggs
<3c mild beer I used pilsner
ras al hanout and salt to taste
mix everything but the beer and slowly whisk it in until the batter is thin but coat your finger. dip onion rings or slice onions long ways and fry in little clusters until golden brown
Obviously not what I was looking for but I'm not complaining because hot drat that looks tasty! Thanks!

EDIT: How much fat should I use for the frying? Half a cup per onion?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 8, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I just came up with an awesome idea for a strawberry vinaigrette that allows me to test the strawberry-Parmesan food pairing. With some help from the Flavor Bible, I plan to blend together balsamic vinegar, walnut oil (or if I can't find it, olive oil), strawberries, honey, grapes, walnuts, and Parmesan.

Considering the experimental nature of this whole thing, it's a longshot, but I'll ask anyway… What kind of greens do you think I should try this on? Spinach? Arugula? Bibb? Romaine? Iceberg? All of the above? I'm leaning towards Romaine.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Happy Abobo posted:

Sounds like a pretty sweet vinaigrette, which I tend to like pairing with more bitter greens. I'd go with arugula, or an arugula-spinach mix. Maybe toss some frisee in there, too.
Spinach, arugula, Parmesan, and this vinaigrette all tasted amazing together, so thanks for this! It came out a little more mauve/beige than I wanted, though, so next time I'll probably put in some food coloring and manually coarsely chop some strawberries and throw them in at the end, just because they say food tastes "better" if it looks like what it tastes like.

In other news, I have a cup of walnut oil left over. Anything besides this that I can do with it?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Wroughtirony posted:

Food coloring has no place in real cooking (outside of some pastry applications.) It's artificial, it can dye your fingers/mouth/poo poo, it can affect taste, and it contains chemicals that some people are very sensitive or allergic to. Basically it's not worth it.

If you want a brighter color, use white balsamic (though it's not as flavorful.) Your idea bout coarsely chopping some strawberries is also a good one.
That actually makes sense. I don't own any food coloring. Good thing I read this before I went to the store today.

pile of brown posted:

I'd say you also learned a little bit about how to use the flavor bible; it's an awesome tool but it does not take into account how you apply the flavors and has little regard for texture, visual appeal and other considerations. I've actually heard a few experienced cooks I know say that they don't like it when people rely on the book too much for this reason; a list of complementary flavors turned into a mauve slurry that did not achieve the desired effect

Also im not calling out your dressing in particular but there is definitely that point at which blending more ingredients/flavors into a soup/sauce/dressing/whatever doesn't make it more complex, it makes it more like barf, and it happens sooner than you think. Also on that note, cranberry-wasabi sauce was a loving disgusting experiment.
The end result tasted pretty decent, but even at the time I wondered if I really needed the grapes or honey. I'd noticed that most vinaigrette recipes don't have many ingredients, so that set off a red flag early on. I knew I wanted both the strawberries and Parmesan. I'd read about that foodpairing and I embarked on this whole thing just to find a context where they'd work together. (Just putting both in my mouth at the same time didn't go so well.) I thought having more ingredients that work with both would "build more bridges" between the two flavors, but you're right; I certainly learned from it. I barely tasted the grapes or honey, so next time, they go. Since I have a lot of leftover ingredients anyway, I may try splitting them all up like you suggested and throwing them in the salad individually.

The end result still tasted pretty good on the right greens, but next time I'll definitely trim down the ingredients and make some changes to how I do the vinegar and strawberries. As rough drafts go, though, I can't complain too much.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 14, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So, you know all those suggestions you guys gave me for improving the salad?

Let's just say they were good suggestions.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I've been thinking lately about making chipotle poppers by adapting a recipe for jalapeno poppers. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Should I use canned chipotles in adobo, or take some dried chipotles and soak them in hot water for a half hour? Should I even use chipotles, or should I just use jalapenos and put chipotle powder in the filling? I've bitten directly into a canned chipotle before, so I can definitely see why using an actual chipotle as the outer "shell" wouldn't be a good idea.

Speaking of filling, I'm planning on using cream cheese, cheddar, paprika, and maybe some lime juice. Then I'd just use flour, egg, and panko to bread it and bake it.

I did some :google:-fu, and the only interesting recipes I saw either used jalapenos as the outer shell or crescent roll dough (which I'm definitely not doing). I could really use any suggestions you guys have before I start experimenting.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Tonight I was reading Ratio and on a lark, I decided to make cookies where I used sesame seed oil instead of butter. I basically ended up mixing together the oil, the sugar, some flour, a splash of water, a banana, a hell of a lot of honey, and an egg. They came out tasting… weird. A bit salty, but with an eventual sweet aftertaste. I got the texture about right (at least fresh out of the oven, which they just exited a few minutes ago), but the sesame seed oil really creates this distracting incongruity between smell and taste. The balance is really wonky between the three "main" flavors.

Anyway… Can I make this recipe work by balancing it out more? The book didn't get into using plant oils for the fat component, so should I give up on trying? I mean, if I got the texture right, then I don't see a problem with it, but I also haven't done this a lot, either.

I guess my main question is… Can I make cookies with plant oils for my fat component?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mach420 posted:

Sesame oil is VERY strongly flavored. Even for things like stir fry, a chef wouldn't normally put more than a teaspoon of it for a wok of food enough to feed 4, and said chef would almost never use it as the main frying oil, again for that reason. It's just a flavoring oil. Try again, but with a more neutral flavored oil like peanut, canola, vegetable, etc. Sesame and strong Extra Virgin Olive oils are best avoided for foods where you don't want its overpowering flavor.
That… explains a lot. Looks like I'll end up throwing these out, since I can't get used to the taste. Next time I'll make them with peanut oil and put in some Reese's peanut butter and chocolate chips. Life's too long anyway.

I had only a tiny bit of sesame oil left in the bottle, so I mixed it with white wine vinegar to make a quick vinaigrette. After I read this, I diluted the sesame oil down to half with some canola oil (and added more vinegar to balance). Should I dilute it more?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

tarepanda posted:

How does it taste?
Of course I posted here before I even thought to test it… Still pretty strong, even the smell. (EDIT: The sesame absolutely drowns out the vinegar.) I'll dilute it down to a third.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 5, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I want to practice making mother sauces. I've noticed that several variations of espagnole and tomate contain pork. Do these sauces necessarily have to contain pork? I ask because I can't eat it. :smith:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

What would you guys say is a good cheese for refried black beans? Cotija? Cheddar? Monterey Jack?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I had a spontaneous craving for cotija nachos, so I worked out the ingredients: tortilla chips (obviously), refried black beans, cotija, corn, diced tomatoes, chipotle peppers, green bell peppers, cayenne, salt & pepper to taste, and a lime to garnish. I haven't had the chance to test it yet. Cotija aside, this seems like a somewhat humdrum nacho recipe, so I was thinking of adding something unexpected that goes well with corn. Maybe thyme or celery or chives or garlic? What do you guys think?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I bought a hunk of fresh galangal yesterday and I really want to use it. Any recipe ideas? I've had chicken and Thai food on the mind lately, if that narrows it down any.

I also bought some sumac at the same store and I'm open to suggestions for how to use that. I thought about making za'atar. I wanted to try it on roasted chicken or lamb, but because of its sour taste I don't know if I want to use it as one of the more dominant ingredients.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So following this recipe I put way the gently caress too much thyme in my za'atar. It doesn't even taste or smell like anything but thyme. Can anyone suggest a better-balanced recipe, preferably one that brings out the sumac a little more? I found one on YouTube by blind luck and I lost it, and all the text recipes I can find through Google have even more thyme.

On a similar topic, what's a good cheese for manakish? I live in a rural town in Eastern Washington, so there's no way in hell I'll find akkawi anywhere nearby. I have goat cheese and feta, if that helps, and I could probably find European cheeses in town. I'm going for a Levantine taste, if that narrows it down any.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 3, 2013

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Psychobabble posted:

I've never made my own za'atar, I only ever buy it or am given it. You're not going to be able to really get a good one unless you use the specific herbs though. Herbs that you're not going to find. While za'atar does generally mean "thyme" its actually a different herb, I believe a member of the hyssop family. The recipe you're basing it on though has a good start in that the levantine varieties are more sumac heavy. My favorite, which comes from Kuwait is a bright, rich emerald green with a hefty dose of roasted sesame with little else. I've never had cheese on manakish made from an ethnic bakery so I can't really compare the two but I know that when I worked at a coffee shop with a wood burning oven the Lebanese owner had us use halloumi on the manakish we made for him.
I'm starting to think that since the thyme used in za'atar is nigh-impossible to find around here, I should just buy za'atar online. Anyone have any recommendations? This caught my eye, but I've eaten very little Middle Eastern food and cooked even less (even though I'm actually an Arab) so I don't exactly know what I'm doing.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I hate asking food safety questions, but here goes.

I made this delicious-looking banana/peanut-butter cookie dough, then I discovered that the banana I threw in came from a bunch that had mold on the stem. All the bananas themselves look perfectly fine, only a little riper than when I bought them. But the stem looks like someone rolled it in flour. Considering I'll end up cooking the dough, I doubt it'll pose a problem, (I have it sitting in the fridge in dough form right now) but I thought I'd ask you guys first: is it safe to eat after baking? Thanks!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I bought some grapeseed oil for a recipe (homemade korma curry), but the only container I could find has way the gently caress more than I need. What sort of recipes can I actually use it for? The Flavor Bible didn't give me much to work with, except that it tastes good with coconut (which I don't really like very much) and can make a good vinaigrette.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I bought Thai basil, Thai chilies, and galangal on Thursday, but I'm beginning not to think I'll get around to using them in the next few days. The nearest place I can buy more is about two hours away. Do they all freeze well enough for me to just keep them on ice until I do have time to do some Thai cooking?

Hawkgirl posted:

It has a pretty high smoke point so I just use it for all-purpose sauteeing and frying. I imagine the Flavor Bible didn't help you much because it doesn't really have all that much flavor.
I could see that. I ended up doing some frying with it tonight, and I found it pretty useful for that.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I've done way the gently caress too little cooking with stock. I wanted to practice using chicken stock to make couscous. What's the "right" amount to dilute it with water? (I'm just using storebought stock for now; I'll make my own when I get more time.)

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Thanks for the chicken stock help, guys!

Another question: does anyone have any advice for skimming lentil soup? Both the fat and the lentils float near the top and I can't seem to separate the two. Thanks!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

What tool(s) do you guys recommend for clarifying butter? I used two different kinds of strainers and a fork, and I still couldn't get all the milk solids out. I even ran it through a fine mesh strainer three times and I still didn't get it all out.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I'm trying to break out of recipe slavery and get into really making up my own dishes. I've read The Flavor Bible and Rulhman's Ratio—both of which I use constantly to this day—but I don't know of any other books that'll help me step up my game. What do you guys recommend?

Secondarily, I teach math for a living and I love Ratio so much I'm considering doing a talk at an upcoming conference about using cooking to reify math instruction in the classroom. Are there any books specifically along these lines, perhaps some that fit in my former question as well? So far I plan to talk about some of Ruhlman's book (I got his permission) and food densities in the teaching of variation. I'd love to see any other topics for which there exist published works.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I bought a package of Johnsonville apple chicken sausage and I'm trying to think of a way I could use them in a pasta dish. Can anyone think of some ingredients I could use for a sauce?

Since it's a pasta dish, I really wanna keep the sweetness down to a minimum besides the apples in the sausage. I was planning to cook them in walnut oil. Going by The Flavor Bible, it sounds like I could make a ginger cream sauce or a pesto with pine nuts and rosemary (with some dried apricots as a garnish, maybe). I could top it with Camembert or goat cheese. Does anyone have any other ideas for how I could flesh out either of these sauces? Other, less prominent ingredients I could use in supporting roles? Thanks!

What kind of pasta do you guys think I should use? I don't want to use penne; penne is so TV-dinner. Maybe rotini or angel hair?

EDIT: In case it comes up, I can't eat pork, so bacon's out.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 19, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I bought 8 oz. avdp. of crème fraîche yesterday; cooking with it has been an item on my bucket list for years. It's extremely hard to find around here so I want to make something really loving tasty and memorable with it. Any ideas? (Still can't eat pork. I also don't drink and really hate mushrooms and seafood. Beyond that, go nuts!)

Bob Morales posted:

That's too bad. Apple and pork go together like...apple and pork. Pork chops that is.
Eh, I'd be amenable to cooking with Morningstar facon or turkey bacon if that would achieve a similar effect. I've eaten and liked both.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I made the apple pasta…

The pesto was made of rosemary, parsley, pine nuts, walnut oil, and parmesan. After I cooked the pasta to al dente, I threw in apple chunks, Morningstar fake bacon (fried in walnut oil), and Johnsonville apple chicken sausage, then garnished with dried apricots and goat cheese.

It was functional, but it felt like a lot of conflicting tastes and textures in my mouth, like a crowded elevator of tastes. I intended the apple as the "center," but all the other elements overpowered it.

I'm trying to think of ways to revise this, but I can't think of what to take out or what to double down on or what to add. I got the idea after seeing the apple + pine nuts + rosemary + apricots combination in The Flavor Bible, so I'd like to keep all those ingredients if I can. Should I replace the walnut oil with olive oil? Use fresh apricots instead of dried apricots and/or take out the apple chunks for more texture consistency? I know it's hard to tell without tasting it for yourself, but I'm also not very experienced on revising recipes, so I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

franco posted:

Roasted Tomato and Crème Fraîche Soup - seems simple, but you'll never think of tomato soup as dull again. That'll use half of it, then just make Gordon Ramsay's Scrambled Eggs (obviously ignoring his mushroom accompaniment...) over and over again for the rest ;)
Thanks so much! These both look tasty as hell!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Casu Marzu posted:

That is way too much going on for one plate. Also I would not do shells next time. That's a really poor type for the style of pasta you're trying to make imo.

I would slice the apple into thin slices, cut the sausage on the bias and saute that all together until you get some good browned bits. Right at the end, add in some longer pasta, like linguine or maybe penne, toss with a touch of pasta water, the pesto, and mayyybe a tiny dab of goat cheese. Apricots just seem way out of place for that dish.

Edit: I probably wouldn't do rosemary either.
All great ideas; thanks! I'm definitely not throwing in apricots next time; that was a big mistake. I like the idea of slicing the apple instead of dicing it; I probably wouldn't need to peel it either which would save some time. I didn't want to use penne originally, but it really does work better for a dish like this.

I'm thinking of either using a more conventional pesto or taking out the pesto entirely and trying a different sauce. According to The Flavor Bible (again), another good combination is apples + cream + ginger. Maybe I'll try a ginger cream sauce.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

How long do pizza dough balls keep in the fridge? When's a good time to transfer them to the freezer if it doesn't look like I'll get to them soon?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I've been making New York style pizzas and I'm pretty happy with them, but I feel like something is off about the cheese. I use whole milk mozzarella that I grate off the block myself, and I top with Parmesan, but it feels like it needs another kind of cheese. Do authentic New York pizzas use strictly mozzarella? Is there another cheese I should use in addition? I've heard provolone and white cheddar suggested, but I never thought provolone had a strong taste and I thought cheddar would completely gently caress up the taste.

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I've never had the real thing as I've never been to New York.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 23, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I have some Camembert that's coming up on its expiration date. Anything I can do with it besides eat it straight-up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I'm from Washington State, and I want to buy a friend who lives in NYC something quintessentially "Seattle" for her birthday. Something edible but mailable, ideally a rare ingredient. It can't be coffee, booze, or pork. I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas?