Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I made chicken stock yesterday for the first time. I wanted to double check with you all to make sure I did it right. After a day in the fridge the stock is more gelatinous than I expected. So did I do this correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I recently acquired several pounds of shrimp with the shells on (but no heads, unfortunately). Is it possible to make stock with just the shells or would more of the shrimp be needed?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm trying to make homemade bread. I used the following recipe and I'm curious how I might be able to adjust it so it's less dense.

5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups milk (you can use water if you donft do dairy)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt

1. In a large mixer bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups of flour and yeast.

2. In a saucepan or in the microwave, heat milk, sugar, butter, and salt to 115-120 degrees.

3. Add hot liquids to flour and yeast. Beat at low speed until combined, then beat at high speed for 3 minutes.

4. Add enough additional flour to make a soft, but kneadable dough, and turn out onto a floured surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.

5. Put dough back into mixing bowl, cover with wet tea towel, and let rise 1 hour.

6. Punch dough down, divide into two pieces, and roll into a rectangle, about 6x18. Starting from the short end, roll up jelly-roll style and place into two greased 4~8 inch loaf pans. Cover with wet tea towel and let rise 30-40 minutes, or until doubled.

7. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Ingredient surplus question. I happen to have a bunch of really good cinnamon bread. Thanks to my girlfriend working at the bakery it's from I will probably continue to have a bunch on hand. I've already made cinnamon french toast with it a few times but I'm trying to come up with alternative uses. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I generally prefer savory over sweet and would love to know any savory dishes it could be used for as well, but all are welcome. Thanks!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Emmjay posted:

Isn't cinnamon bread already fairly sweet?

I bet it would make an awesome bread and butter pudding though. Cut it in fairly thick slices, arrange it in a baking dish with some mixed berries, top with custard (made pretty runny so it soaks into the bread) and bake until the custard mixture thickens and sets. Serve with cream and/or icecream.

It's fairly sweet, but not overwhelming. I guess what I meant to say was I'm not really a dessert guy so I'd prefer to use it in some other manner if possible.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Follow up on a question I posed a few pages ago. To recap:

lifts cats over head posted:

Ingredient surplus question. I happen to have a bunch of really good cinnamon bread. Thanks to my girlfriend working at the bakery it's from I will probably continue to have a bunch on hand. I've already made cinnamon french toast with it a few times but I'm trying to come up with alternative uses. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I generally prefer savory over sweet and would love to know any savory dishes it could be used for as well, but all are welcome. Thanks!

So what I decided to do was make stuffed pork chops. I made a stuffing with the cinnamon bread, grilled apples, and grilled onion. It turned out pretty good however it could use some sort of sauce. This is an area where I really don't have much of a clue.

Any suggestions for a sauce to make? I was thinking something using teriyaki and honey, but I have no idea if that would work well or not.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I have a fair amount of pork fat left over from trimming down a pork loin. Is there anything I can do with it? If so can I freeze it for later use? Or should I just throw it away?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I don't cook with chilis or hot peppers often and as result I neglected to wear latex gloves tonight while chopping jalapenos. Anybody have a good tip to get rid of the burning sensation now on my hands?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I recently acquired a large amount of apples of several different varieties. I'm thinking about trying to bake an apple pie but I've never actually done that. Any helpful hints for good old fashioned (or not so old fashioned) applie pie? Creative suggestions? I have a few pears as well, could that be incorporated into the recipe?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

This past week we got some jerusalem artichokes in our farm share but aren't really sure what to use them for. Any suggestions?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Seconding the Good Eats suggestion. The show isn't great for finding specific recipes for things but tells you why things are cooked/prepared a certain way. Then once you understand this component you'll find you are able to generalize this to other things. He does go a little overboard sometimes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm going camping this weekend and I just got a brand new cast iron Dutch oven. Anybody have any good recipes?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Quick question about making pulled pork in a slow cooker. I've made it a few times before but I was curious if it would improve the final product if I seared the pork shoulder before putting it in the slow cooker? It already has a dry rub on it and has been in the fridge, tightly wrapped, for almost a day now.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Last weekend I made an impulse buy and took home a brand new pressure cooker. Does anyone have any good recipe suggestions to break it in with? I've heard it's great for beans.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I need to step up my soup game and I'm looking for a cookbook to help. Preferably one that focuses more on technique/tips rather than just a collection of recipes. Anybody have some suggestions?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

What is everyone's thoughts on what to use for fried chicken? I've only used peanut oil but I'm thinking about trying Crisco the next time. Or if there's another oil out there that is better I'd be curious.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I have a bunch of deli turkey that I don't want to go to waste but I don't want to just make sandwiches. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Are you using gochugaru? I've found you can just adjust the amount you put in and it's really easy to control the spiciness.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I need a new oven probe thermometer. The last two I had stopped working pretty quickly so I'm willing to shill out some more money for a reliable tool. Any suggestions?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Braising some chicken legs, worth brining the legs beforehand or would that be an unnecessary step?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

A friend has a bunch of bone marrow left over. I can't use it right away but I'm thinking about freezing it and throwing it into the next stew or potroast I make. Anybody ever do this or know if it'll make a difference? Any other suggestions for leftover marrow would also be appreciated.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

That's going to be a lot of fat you're gonna skim off for the amount of meaty flavor you're gonna add to the soup and it might come across greasy in a stew

Roasted marrows are nice to spread on toast with herbs and something sour like capers

I've tried an ice cream but it was kind of.. rich

Some other ideas I haven't tried:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/how-to-eat-cook-bone-marrow.html

Do you think it's worth freezing or is it likely to lose a significant amount of quality?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

What's a good length of time to brine chicken thighs?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I was making beef jerky this past weekend and didn't have enough space in the dehydrator so I just left some of the beef in the marinade and forgot about it until today. It's london broil, thinly sliced, in a marinade that's mostly soy sauce and brown sugar and it's been in the marinade for almost 72 hours. Will it be edible or should I stop at the store on my way home from work?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm in the process of making some homemade bloody mary mix for the holidays using tomatoes I smoked. The flavor's good but still way too acidic. In sauces I usually add some baking soda but I'm not sure if I want to do that for something going into a cocktail. I've added a little bit of sugar already but I don't want it to be too sweet. Any suggestions on how to mellow out that acidity? Will the baking soda probably be fine in the cocktail?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

This past weekend I came across a specialty spice store and bought some fancy pepper. It was smoked and soaked in scotch. The aroma is amazing (not yet sure how the flavor will translate) but I realized I wasn't sure the best way to utilize this. What would be a good recipe that highlights the pepper?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I bought some reduced mole from a local Mexican grocer they made in house (instructions are to add stock at a ratio of 3:1) and I forgot to ask about storage. I understand there's a lot of unknowns here, but should I anticipate this surviving a while in the fridge? Would it hold up in a freezer?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I've been struggling with my homemade corn tortilla. They're still better then the store bought packaged stuff but I feel like they can improve. Does anybody have any good tips/resources to help troubleshooting?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Home nixtamalizing, storebought fresh dough, or masa flour?

Once we switched from a lovely aluminum press to an iron press, and once we learned "peel the plastic off the tortilla, not the tortilla off the plastic" it got much easier. YouTube that one if you need a visual, I'm on cell data.

Dry steel pan, med-high heat, 1-2 min per side, finish on an open flame if you got one.

masa flour. Thanks for the suggestions. What kind of plastic do you use? would wax paper work? I've been using either pieces of ziplock bags (which might be too thick) or cut up grocery bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I have some oxtail that I plan on cooking this weekend. I usually do a braise/stew with it but I'm looking for other ideas. Any suggestions or recommendations?