Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Where am I supposed to talk about Pr0k's mom now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

User-Friendly posted:

I'd normally just be cooking for me, and I'll eat pretty much anything. Unfortunately, I'm closer to "broke" than anything else. Also, the fridge is ridiculously crowded. There's ten of us sharing this kitchen, so it's more or less a constant struggle to find space in there. The reason I mentioned time restriction was on the scale of hours, avoiding making soups and similar projects.

I'm not exactly a cooking regular, so I'm more making recipe requests with such restrictions in mind instead of scaling down already-known recipes.

Can you get a slow cooker?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

benito posted:

Best I ever had involved a 50 lb wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano that had been hollowed out into a bowl. You pour some brandy in the bowl and then light it on fire. Then you toss in the freshly boiled noodles, and then some cream, and some sea salt and a bit of parsley. As you swirl it around in the cheese wheel, it grabs the freshly melted cheese from the walls and the sauce is built like that. Damnit, I'm getting hungry.

:aaaaa: I want to go to there.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

drat, my only option for non-Korean flour is whole wheat. I was hoping I could just swap it out. I'll give this no-knead recipe another shot... I know it's supposed to be a wet dough but is it really supposed to be pourable?

Whenever I've made the no-knead recipe, yes, it's basically pourable. I throw a lot of flour around at the folding stage, and use parchment paper so it doesn't stick to the counter. I also live in a very humid area, that might be part of it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

This recipe is what I've been using, and the bread has been rising really nicely and is nice and bubbly inside. I'll go back and check the recipe you're using, but I wonder if the amount of the water is different?

A question on the no knead bread, the recipe says to wrap up the dough in a well floured towel to rest for 2 (or more) hours after you fold it. I've floured the hell out of the towels and the dough always sticks. Would it be OK just to either flour a bowl or oil it slightly and cover it with a towel instead?

I fold it on a parchment paper and just pick up the paper and put it back in the bowl it rose in, then cover.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Gerblyn posted:

Drinking alone is no fun :(
vvvvvvvv

You're never alone, on the internet.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

If you use an oven bag the skin will be gross and soggy instead of nice and crispy, and you won't have a fond to make gravy, and the bag will melt onto the pan and split and spill juice everywhere and it's a horrible runny mess..

I just rub the turkey all over with butter, get it all in under the skin of the breast as well, like 2 sticks of it. Then drape some bacon strips over the breast to cover it. This helps keep the breast from overcooking, and also bastes the turkey for you. Remove these about 30 minutes before the bird is done. Cook it at about 350 until it's done (depends on the weight, use a thermometer). This always works fantastically for me, and there's no burning yourself on the oven over fiddly basting (because you've already been into the wine).

If you like you can make a compound butter, or add herbs or salt and pepper.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

quote:

I don't think I've ever not added at least an extra head of garlic to something calling for garlic. Don't feel bad.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

My step-grandmother used to purée fresh mint with oil and apple cider vinegar, and it was absolutely mouthwatering. She used it as a marinade and also as a sauce when the time came to serve.

My dad did this, except with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 balsamic.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

razz posted:

I need some recipe ideas for ground meat that aren't tomato-y. I'm getting bored with chili, spaghetti sauce, taco meat, lasagna etc because it's all basically the same (ground meat with some sort of tomato and different spices).

What can I do with ground meat that's different?

Stir fry.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

razz posted:

That lasagna looks good, and I'm really curious about a lasagna with no cheese. Definitely going on my list of things to make, thanks! If anyone else has another good recipe for lasagna, please share!

Also, is it really necessary to peel carrots?

I make basically this but no carrots in the sauce, and I slice some mozzarella to cover the top along with a shitton of parmesan. The bechamel makes it super creamy.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Some dark beer, or whiskey.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Be Depressive posted:

What vegetable is this, exactly, and how do I cook it? I only bought it because it looks cool, would like to eat it.

Romanesco. It's like a cauliflower.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

I'm looking to get a lemon/lime squeezer online, which aren't available anywhere in my city (yes, I even checked kitchen suppliers).
Is this good enough?

http://www.amazon.ca/Progressive-GT-3949-International-Lemon-Squeezer/dp/B000FD7EDI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

Get this one. The one you linked is sort of cheapy crap and I have broken the hinge on three of them.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kenning posted:

Noooo don't get the OXO it's the only product I've bought from them that I had to return because it was such poo poo. The guys designing this squeezer misunderstood how citrus squeezers work. That dimple in the middle makes it so the lemon half doesn't fully invert, which leaves a lot of juice in. Also the arrangement of the holes in the bottom is super bad, so lots of juice squirts out the sides rather than coming out the bottom.

I love OXO and that juicer looks super slick, but one of the cheaper yellow or green ceramic ones is definitely a better choice.

Nope I have it I love it. I use it almost exclusively for limes though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah, when you're making "margaritas" with no Cointreau, right? :rolleyes:

:smug:

Yep. Heathen.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah Mich quit being a food racist.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations for something interesting to do with grits (besides just eating them as grits I mean)?

I think grits are pretty gross, but grits pancakes are good.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I use this Oxo as a paring knife and I love it. Also this bread knife is great.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Really? I have only heard bad things, especially about the santoku. I'll check out the bread knife, thanks!

I don't know about any of their other knives, but that paring knife is great. I'm not sure I'd get a Oxo chef's knife though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Does anyone have a pra ram recipe?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

wasey posted:

I have some leftover chicken wing trimmings from a weekend snack, and I'm not sure what to do with them. There's not a lot of meat left on the joint bone area, but add it all up and it's a fair amount of chicken...

Stock.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

How long does duck fat last in the fridge?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

razz posted:

They're just standard white button mushrooms. As of a few hours ago they looked and felt fine. What happens anyway if you eat mushrooms after they've started to go bad?

If they're slightly slimy I just rinse them off, if they are squishy or moldy I throw them out.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ejstheman posted:

I got some onions and potatoes on sale last week, foolishly forgetting that I was going on a trip from tomorrow until Tuesday. Is there some casserole or something that I can use to soak them all up? I've got 3lbs of onions and 9lbs of potatoes. I have to burn through some milk also, so I was thinking of making a roux and then cheese sauce from that, and then making some kind of baked onion/potato casserole. Basically, substituting potato for pasta in macaroni and cheese.

My mac and cheese recipe bakes at 350 for 25 minutes, but baked potatoes go at that temperature for an hour and change, so I'm thinking of pre-baking the potatoes for 35 minutes, and then adding the onions and cheese sauce and baking for another 25. Does that sound reasonable to the people who actually understand cooking? Any other ideas?

You know onions and potatoes will stay good for like, weeks, right?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Has anyone else regrown storebought chives in a glass of water? It works like magic, but after a few weeks with regular water changes, the roots were soggy and falling apart. Is this only a temporary technique? I was under the impression that you could keep them indefinitely.

I have never seen storebought chives with roots. Are you sure you aren't confusing them with green onions like some other poster I saw recently?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Yes, I did. I am an idiot, but my question still stands.

So that leads to the question, why are you trying to keep green onions for weeks and weeks? If you're trying to actually grow them like that for some reason, you would have to put them in dirt after a bit.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

Don't be afraid of the smell. It's pretty nasty before you cook it, but completely mellows out after you cook it.

That's a lie, it smells delicious. Like every awesome Indian restaurant ever.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ultrachrist posted:

So I am making some buffalo chicken dip for a dip competition this weekend. I want to make it spicy but the "spicy" recipes online just seem to change the variety of frank's hot sauce going into it. Does anyone have any wisdom on actually adding chopped spicy peppers to it instead being a good/bad idea?

If this is a thing you are set on making, then yes, add a shitton of peppers.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

:catstare: manger les œufs putains :catstare:

Eat the whore eggs? :confused:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Who the gently caress browns cheese on nachos? poo poo's nasty, yo.

Also where are your beans?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Time to play What's That Meat!

I went to a halal market and it's their butcher's day off and there was just a pile of shrink-wrapped meat and a dude who identified things as being "uhhhh, from the back?". This is supposedly beef. IRC thinks it might be veal. Any ideas?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Drink and Fight posted:

Time to play What's That Meat!

I went to a halal market and it's their butcher's day off and there was just a pile of shrink-wrapped meat and a dude who identified things as being "uhhhh, from the back?". This is supposedly beef. IRC thinks it might be veal. Any ideas?

Any ideas on my Adventure Meat?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, halal market, definitely not pork. I have no idea what veal tastes like. Guess I'll just find out.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

rub the shoulder in ground cumin, coriander, salt, and black pepper. Add to crock pot with enough lard to cover and two bay leaves. Simmer until tender.

What do you do with it after? Drain it? If so what do you do with the lard?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Scott Bakula posted:

Owing to pretty crappy weather most of the year due to being in North England I think I'm going to buy pre-grown plants rather than try to germinate myself

Pretty sure it's impossible to germinate yourself.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

It's just not an option for me. When I say I'm fine with fish sauce, I mean that I can't really taste the fishiness if it's in a curry or something- but I've tried anchovies before, and ended up retching from the fishy taste. Sigh. Lame.

But you don't eat the whole anchovy. One or two dissolved in a sauce is exactly the same as a couple squirts of fish sauce.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND doesn't really eat fish and she's decided that she'll try some today.

I picked up supafresh Ahi steaks, looking for an idea of how to cook them up for A GIRL. I usually just sear it with a beurre blanc, but I'd like some other ideas.

I dunno man, girls don't eat food like regular people. You might want to have like, zucchini or fairy dust or some poo poo in there, not steaks and butter.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pr0k posted:

Why do I have to cook ice cream base? Is there any reason why I can't just put milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla into my ice-cream maker?

That's what I do. gently caress eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey guys, I need an opinion on Cazadores tequila. It's a family favorite and a cheaper alternative to the more expensive stuff, but given how my palette consists of Patron and El Jimador, I feel like I'm missing something. Also, any recommendations for good, inexpensive tequila?

Oh and I move there be a dedicated tequila thread on GWS. I would, but I have neither the knowledge nor resources to research tequila to do it justice.

Cazadores Repo is a very good tequila for the price, it's almost the only thing I use for margaritas. Cazadores Anejo is good for sipping and even better for margaritas.