Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I am attempting to make oven-"fried" chicken today out of the things I have on-hand in my house. I'm using: boneless skinless chicken breasts, breadcrumbs, eggs, seasonings, and 2% milk. From what I've been looking at online, this will make an edible (if not authentic) crispy chicken thing. I'm planning on eating them with a spicy honey mustard sauce.

The thing I am confused on is oven temperature and time. I saw one recipe that recommended 350 degrees and 40 minutes, another 400 degrees and 20 minutes. I am planning on cutting my chicken breasts in half, then coating them, then baking them - so probably 4 ounces each piece? What temp/time should I pick? Are those times too long for breast meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Okay - it's just for me so presentation isn't really a priority anyhow. I guess I should just check it 3/4 of the way through?

What I really wanted to know is if there's any difference in texture/taste/whatever using those two different temperatures. Would the hotter one be crispier? I avoid my oven like the plague because I don't really understand how temperature differences affect my finished product.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have almost all the ingredients for this recipe http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Oyakodon except dashi. I'm trying to find something to eat tonight and oyakodon sounds good, but will it still taste ok without dashi?

Also, I recall reading that there are different kinds of dashi. If I were to buy one kind of dashi from the Asian market, what should it be? I plan to make things like oyakodon and miso soup with it if that helps.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

That sounds perfect, now instead of "mother and child bowl" it can be "mother and child and distant cousin" bowl. :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I opened a can of pumpkin for smoothies earlier this week. I'd like to use the rest of it in one go but I'm not sure what savory things would work with a pumpkin puree. I looked on the wiki but gnocchi scares me and all the other pumpkin stuff uses whole pumpkin or is dessert. Can't have dessert cuz I'm on a diet, my smoothie was an approximation of pumpkin pie to make me feel better about it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I got some brown rice at a Thai resturant the other day that was kind of different... big, fat, round grains, not long skinny ones. Almost sphereical. Any idea what kind of rice it might have been?

That's just short-grain brown rice. I've seen it in the "health" section of my local Albertson's, by these guys: http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/Organic_Short_Grain_Brown_Rice.aspx Also it looks like Bob's Red Mill produces it too.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dear GWS, I simultaneously love and hate you today. You convinced me that chicken thighs are way better than breasts if I simply have to eat boneless, skinless versions. Before I did not know that I was eating terrible dry poo poo. Before I thought chicken thighs were kind of gross tasting. Now here I am, having successfully made coconut milk curry with peas and onions, sincerely regretting having ever bought chicken breasts and definitely regretting putting them in this awesome-tasting curry. God drat are these ruining my meal.

So, I think I've now eaten all remaining chicken breast in my house with this meal. But just in case I'm hungry one day and all there is is chicken breast, is there anything on earth I can do to make it not suck?

On a related note: How is coconut milk so freaking awesome? I was under the impression that I thought coconut things were pretty mediocre. I tried a taste out of curiosity and almost drank the whole can.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the chicken breast ideas. I also tried to brainstorm things that I didn't mind chicken breast in, and came up with: Grilled chicken breast, especially in a sweet marinade. Fajitas. Pretend Carl's Jr BBQ chicken sandwiches. Meat candy from this GWS wiki page: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Fried_Rice_by_Mdxi (that was literally the first thing I ever made in a kitchen as an adult. Baby's first recipe, awww.)

I really want to make the McDonald's chicken nuggets but at the same time I'm pretty sure I'd puke if I put chicken in a blender. This is extra dumb because the idea of blending other meat-type things (like liver, mmmmmmm) isn't nearly as disgusting to me.

Also, I don't see how the saturated fat/coconut milk is a derail in a thread for general info. I appreciate understanding why it's so awesome, and have concluded that I will not have coconut milk every day but someday I sure am going to drink one of those half-cup cans by itself and freakin' love it. My father's family is prone to Alzheimer's so let's just call it preventive maintenance. :colbert:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I have some nice fatty salmon and some plain ol' crimini mushrooms. What should I make?

(I also have a ton of leftover rice, and some veggies like onions, carrots, arugula, tomatoes, peas, and spinach. I also have most kitchen staples except NO milk. So yes eggs, yes flour, yes soy sauce, yes honey/sugar, etc.)

Thinking fried rice but not sure what to do with the salmon in that case. Also I just made teriyaki salmon so I'm interested in more non-Asian flavors at the moment.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm looking for some simple cheese snack/hors d'oeuvres type recipes. Something a bit fancier than cheese and crackers, not but not a full meal. Anything that incorporates roasted peppers or sun dried tomatos would be great.

I'd love some ideas too, but the first thing that comes to mind is bruschetta. Also, bacon wrapped X (where X is uh pretty much anything, let's be honest here). Also, what's wrong with a cheese plate? I used to live near this awesome cheese shop and the people there just adored assembling gourmet cheese platters for parties. They were the kind of awesome people where I could walk in with a bottle of wine, show it to them, and get five different cheese samples with comments on how each would pair with the wine. Find a place like that and never make hors d'oeuvres again. :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Has there ever been a healthy cooking thread here in GWS?? I broke my wrist and between holiday food and my general lack of do nothing for the past two months (and the next three or so now), I will sadly need to stop eating whatever the gently caress I want.

I want healthy food that doesn't taste bland :smith:

I actually started haunting GWS because of the same problem. I went on a real diet where I have to weigh everything I eat, which means I have to prepare everything I eat myself, so I had to learn how to cook. Uh...I am still in the process of doing that last part. In any case, despite being a huge newbie cook, the food I make is still tasty, and I've actually lost my taste for fast food in the meantime.

The two things that helped me the most were:
1) developing an addiction to tea to replace my addiction to soda. Water's probably better but I kept craving soda because of the caffeine. Now I get my caffeine fix with little to no calories.
2) salt (and other seasonings, herbs, and condiments). If you are cooking healthy food and it's bland, it's your own fault.

I have used a bunch of recipes from here and around the internets that weren't technically "healthy," but I wanted them so I just adapted them. The only thing I haven't been able to adapt to my diet is carbonara. :( There's just too much drat fat in that, with the cheese, pancetta/bacon, and eggs all together. I could probably bastardize it into something acceptable but I refuse to do that to carbonara...it's just too awesome.

If you start a thread I'd be happy to post some of my adjusted recipes in there, with the caveat that I'm a noob cook and everyone else in GWS could probably make something better. My lunch sandwich this week is leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, camembert, whole-grain dijon mustard, lettuce, and onion on sourdough, and yes that does fit into my diet, and yes it is freakin' awesome. :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If you live in America, anything marked "sushi grade" must be frozen to kill all the bad stuff anyway. (edit: It's my understanding that the main danger from undercooked fish is parasites, not bacteria, which freezing for a certain amount of time will kill dead. And since it's frozen anyhow, it doesn't matter quite as much that you didn't get it fresh off the boat.)

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 11, 2011

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It's an alcohol thermometer, but different kinds of alcohol are used for different temperature ranges. I'd err on the side of throwing out the section that it got spilled on.

Ugh, going through Wikipedia's info on them is terrible. Best case scenario, it's alcohol alcohol, like get you drunk who cares alcohol. Worst case it's kerosene and uh don't eat kerosene.

Can anyone rattle off a few soups that freeze well? Actually, even better, can someone give me some guidelines on what things freeze well and what don't? And then I can figure out what soups fit in those guidelines. :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cyberia posted:

If I'm making a heap of stew to freeze in single-serve portions can I freeze it with rice or pasta? Or would it be better to make the rice / pasta fresh when I'm defrosting the stew?

I have not tried it but according to the internet, don't even bother freezing just pasta. Freezing it in soups works, but apparently you shouldn't cook it all the way through when doing so (because when you reheat it, the pasta will get overcooked).

I'm super lazy though and even I don't think it's THAT much work to make some pasta to go with your frozen yummy stuff. Might as well, but if you do try freezing it, let me know if the internet lied to me.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hey can I sub kale for spinach? Specifically I once made shrimp risotto with garlic and spinach, but I don't have any spinach. Think it would work?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Here is the W&W thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3341972

Personally I use TrueProtein's complete milk dairy isolate, premium mocha java flavor. Protein powder in general mixes terribly, though. I don't know if I'd stir protein powder into greek yogurt as much as I'd blend the gently caress out of it. I find greek yogurt in sweet applications a little weird, though, so for all I know it mixes fine.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hed posted:

e: to hawkgirl's comment I just plop the powder on top and fold into the yogurt and I enjoy the texture and taste. With the chocolate streaks it's like a tart breakfast mousse. v:shobon:v

That sounds kind of nice, actually. I was just having terrible flashbacks of trying to casually mix some powder into milk or almond milk. I tend to have my protein powder as a smoothie nowadays. Sometimes I will brew some double-strength tea and pretend that I am having a frappuccino. :downs:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Anyway, I wanted to learn how to make a nice Udon. Has anyone had any luck with a specific recipe? Any other advice? I was thinking of adding something to it, to make it a bit more meaty, like maybe shrimp? I'd love suggestions, because I don't know much about Japanese cuisine. If I did add shrimp, what would be the best way to prepare them?

I too adore udon. You can buy packages of the dried noodles just like Italian pasta so stock up. I'm not authentic in the least but the last thing I did with udon was make a sweet sauce with soy sauce, garlic, honey, ginger, sesame seeds, then used this to brush some shrimp I broiled. Then I used the extra sauce to dip my noodles into. Simple, yummy, my only regret is I should have used sriracha or chili flakes or something.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

blakout posted:

What are some good general tips for cooking in a small apartment for one person?

I tend to make two servings max of whatever I'm making - one for dinner now, leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Also I have emergency "gently caress cooking" meals in the freezer, like pot roast and chili (lasagna...someday). Also I try to buy meat in bulk but then freeze most of it so that it all gets used. I'm still getting the hang of using all the produce I buy. :( It goes bad so fast!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kenning posted:

Really any of those cheeses would work fine. Pecorino is the authentic and probably best choice, but if it's not available anything that's nice and hard and salty should do the trick. I'd use parmigiano to keep it in the same geographic vicinity, but it'll be good no matter what.

Honestly I never have pecorino on hand so I almost always use parmigiano. It is a little...uh...sharper? And I think you have to be a little careful about salt, especially with bacon/pancetta in the mix, but it's definitely edible. Mmmm.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Socratic Moron posted:

My cucumber vines are being quite generous this year. Other than pickles, does anyone have any nice vegetarian recipe suggestions?

Thank you!

My mom always made a kind of Italian-ish cucumber salad. Sliced cucumber, red onion, tomato, some good olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. It's probably mostly that it feels like home but it's one of my favorite dishes. :)

Also, a few weeks ago I found wakame at the Asian store and made some Japanese-style cucumber salad, which was also delicious. Cucumbers, wakame, sesame seeds, rice vinegar, sugar, a little bit of soy sauce.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Re: bacon, if you want to be REALLY spergy you can measure the amount of fat left in the pan and from there calculate the calories left in the pan.

For what it's worth I tried to include bacon in a restricted calorie diet and found that even though I wasn't eating all that fat, bacon is still too calorically dense to keep me happy until lunch time. Yes, fat digests slower but it's still a paltry 18g for 160 calories (a meal's worth of fat for my diet - less than one ounce). Off the top of my head, you could eat about a pound of broccoli for the same calorie cost. Maybe instead of eating bacon for breakfast, use it sparingly to accentuate other food. Like now I totally want broccoli with bacon.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The dark one looks like wakame to me, but I'm no expert.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've accidentally microwaved little fingerling potatoes without poking holes in them, and they don't so much explode as just burst a little bit. They're just not as pretty as a properly poked microwaved potato. It's not an "oh holy poo poo" explosion like microwaving an egg.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I picked up some hake because it was the only fish that sounded interesting that wasn't on the overfishing list. I've never had it before though, except as surimi, I guess. From googling it seems like I should treat it like cod? Any suggestions?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Miso cod recipes are always nice.

Thanks for the idea, I finally got around to it today. It was good! Upon consuming it, I now know that hake is a hell of a lot like cod for sure, just a firm flaky white fish. Therefore I have decided that my next hake adventure will involve breading and tartar sauce.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

mugrim posted:

I really appologize for the derail, but are there any vegetarian threads in GWS? I've been looking for at least 15 minutes, but all I can find is the vegan thread.
I don't think there is one, although there are many fantastic vegetarians who post in the dinner thread. I believe the reason is that most veggies just discuss their techniques in the vegan thread because the basic needs are the same. That said I would like to read about more vegetarian stuff so you should make a thread.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Delicious low-carb veggies is like the easiest thing in the world regardless of diet choices. I can't think of a single sauce I have ever put on, say, green beans, that isn't fat + spices at its very base. Hell, I usually do just saute them in butter and then put salt and pepper on top.

After thinking for several minutes the only thing I can think of is a slightly sweet sauce for cooked carrots.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My gut says it should be ground lamb.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Beef wellington and mushroom pate and stuffed mushrooms.

edit: Horse wellington. DO IT.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

ahmeni posted:

We usually steam vegetables every night due to its ease and retaining of nutrients. However the texture and blandness of steamed veg is starting to drive me nuts. Normally I'd probably steam and fry in something but the lady is on a calorie restricted diet for the next while. Suggestions for keeping things tasty without resorting to duck fat?

Dunno what kind of restricted diet your lady is on but I thought I'd throw out there that 1) many veggie vitamins only absorb properly accompanied by some fats and 2) it really takes very little fat to make veggies extra tasty. If you are using up fat calories on cooking your protein, consider using the pan you seared whatever in to cook up your veggies a bit. I do this all the time, especially when I've just seared a pork chop. Mmmm.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

neckbeard posted:

The term "rotten" makes it sound rancid, but it's it's cured/fermented. I had it as a reward for finishing the Reykjavik Marathon in under 3 1/2 hours.

You're freakin' awesome but that is hilarious. I know that when I've run a shitload, really freakin' fast, and am exhausted and feeling like I am about to puke, I definitely want someone sticking some fermented shark meat in my face. Mmmm.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Well, don't turn the oven on, or if you do roast/bake things, make sure you're done with all your other kitchen duties before you turn it on.

I get joy from cooking because it's almost like a meditative state. I am also a dork and get fiercely proud of accomplishing the dumbest poo poo (like the other day I totally bragged to foodchat that I made tartar sauce, i.e. I chopped up pickles and capers and mixed them with lemon juice and mayo, woop de freakin' doo). I don't know how to make you enjoy that though.

What is your favorite restaurant food? Lots of restaurant food is made on the stove and if it uses the oven, it is only for convenience/speed. You could see if recreating your favorite fancy food helps you enjoy the process of cooking.

Also make sure your knives are sharp because I don't think anyone enjoys cooking when prepping with dull knives.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

You can also of course make soup, I'm sure you already thought of that though. I also have a big thing of miso sitting in my fridge. I mainly use it for miso-glazed fish. I feel like someday I will make that miso salad dressing that all Japanese places serve on their salads.

I googled it because I have a LOT of miso and at least according to the internet you're good for at least a year.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I would like to make a big pot of something that I can eat some of, then freeze the rest tomorrow. What should it be, friends? I still have chili in the freezer so meh to chili. I was thinking soup (...of some sort) or daal. Would daal freeze well? Maybe pot roast if daal would get a weird texture.

Bonus points if this giant pot of something is high in protein. :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

Cod with potatoes, clarified butter, chopped hardboiled eggs, freshly grated horseradish and maybe some chopped boiled shrimp and dill is one of the best dishes there is. Just don't overcook the cod.

That sounds delicious. Also, when in doubt, bread and bake (or fry I guess, I hate frying) and eat with tartar sauce.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:( I always burn myself because I'm lazy about it. It also means I can eat more tartar sauce. Don't hate :cry:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

tuyop posted:

I accidentally bought 1.5kg of plain Greek yogurt. What should I do to it to make it slightly palatable to choke down all that precious protein?

I usually do honey plus blueberries or raspberries. I did honey plus bananas and cinnamon once and that was pretty good too (maybe a little sweet). You really don't need all that much honey to make it edible. It's all the rage in YLLS to mix in flavored/sweetened protein powder, but my protein powder is not pure white and made it turn an...unpleasant color.

Also, make tzatziki sauce.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think I'm gonna make a clear-the-fridge risotto tonight. Check my work for maximum tastiness?

I've got roast chicken, mushrooms, garlic, onion, and shallots. Not sure what herbs would go best with that. Rosemary? The plan is to sauté the aromatics for a little while as the risotto is toasting/just starting up, then mix them in about halfway through (or closer the end?). Then since the chicken is cooked, stick that in at the very end.

I've put spinach in risotto before and enjoyed it, but all I've got at the moment is arugula. Would wilted arugula be good? I can't decide if it would be good or weird, if weird I'll just make a salad.

I'm also considering dropping the risotto and finally trying congee. I have things like soy sauce and eggs on hand, although sadly no green onions. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

Rosemary would be good, thyme also tasty. I would probably saute the onion/shallots/garlic briefly to make them soft, remove them from the pan, toast up the rice, then add back in the aromatics about midway like you suggested.

I really would not add wilted arugula to the risotto. I think that would make the texture weird. I'd say stick with the salad.

Thanks! I ended up being in a hurry and forgot about herbs so I just went with what I wrote (minus the arugula - I think you're right). It was a little plain but definitely edible.