Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Darth Freddy posted:

May be cooking for my girlfriend this new years. Nothing fancy just some steak, decent salad and twice baked potatoes.

Only thing is she has a gas stove and I have never cooked with gas before. So short of loading up the charcoal grill and taking it there. Is there anything I need to know about cooking with gas? Tips tricks? Going to be ribeye and a cast iron grill if that makes any difference.
Made a steak last night so I can say things and know they at least sorta work.

When you say "cast iron grill" do you mean one of these? If so it makes stuff easy.

Put the grill in a cold oven and get the oven up to 500F. Once it hits 500, take the grill out and put it over as many high-heat burners as you can. Coat steaks in oil (peanut is fun, but that's just me), SNP, and place them on the grill for 30 seconds per side, not moving them once they're down. After the sear, transfer steaks back to the oven, 2 minutes per side and you can probably figure the rest from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darth Freddy posted:

Only other type I have easy accesses to is Vegetable oil and that seems to have a even lower point to it. Small town grocery store is not all that impressive.

Looked it up and the extra virgin olive oil I normally use lists its smoke point between 400 and 365º that seems pretty drat easy to hit.

So I either have to be extremely careful or try and find a substitution. Big thanks for the warning though I at least know what to watch out for if nothing else. The burn thing i know all to well, first time i tried to use a wok and make stir fry ended up a very painful experience. The rice was awesome though.
Canola oil is widely available and has a high smoke point, so maybe give that a shot!

Actually having that cast iron pan (instead of the grill) makes it easier to make a pan gravy/sauce for the steak. Check it ouuuuuuuuut :c00l:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

I have been tasked with supplying 7-10 pounds of roast beef to be used for sandwiches a couple of days after cooking or otherwise acquiring it. If I wanted to cook it myself instead of getting deli meat what should I do to prevent it drying out?
Do what the deli does; portion it out between sheets of parchment paper and zip-lock it.

Hollis posted:

I am poor where is the best place online to purchase cooking utensil stuff or should I just go to thrift stores and yard sales? Also, is the thread where they talk about coupons grocery shopping gone? I need my money to last and there used to be a thread that was all about sunday coupons and how to get the best deals.
Thrift stores and garage sales are excellent places to find cheap, awesome stuff. Found a ~$300-new frying pan for $13 in near-perfect condition, for instance. Otherwise eBay or amazon or even craigslist could give you a few hits.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 29, 2011

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wanna make pulled-pork sandwiches but I don't have a smoker and if I did it's gonna be around 0 Fahrenheit for the next week so that's out. My plan at the moment is buying a big ol' shoulder and sticking it in my ~8-pound dutch oven in my oven at 225 for, eh, 12 hours or so. Now I'm worried about this thing drying out and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to season the thing with anything that's not S&P or a mire poix. Any advice? I'm not going for anything too wild on the spices, just a good, solid pork-y baseline and my diners can add whatever they want on it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So uh I just ordered an 8-pound bone-in pork shoulder from an amazing meat market. How big is this thing gonna be? I have this 6-quart round dutch oven that is pretty frickin cool and I'm worried that it's not gonna fit :ohdear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hell, unless it looks like a horror movie prop, cheese is ready to go. Do not be feared of it!

Aerofallosov posted:

Does pumpkin chili freeze well? I made some, but I live alone and I don't think I can eat the whole pot fast enough.

Chili = freezes well. The pumpkin bits might wind up getting a little mushy (if they aren't already) but no harm in it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last night I made corn tortillas and then made chips out of them. Today, they are stale to the point of injuring someone's teeth. Is there ANY hope for these things? I've only done this twice and corn flour around here is cheaper than dirt (it really is!) so I'm not worried about that, but I would like to salvage them if I can.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

If they were fried then I think they're done.. Baked ones you could steam until soft then re-bake.
They were deep fried.

Behind the shed I go. Thanks for the info. I also discovered that I fried them for about ~3x longer than I should have. They're really thick so I thought I was doin good :ohdear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

If you can't come up with a different tactic, I'd steal give steaming a go before I throw them out.
Goin' to the drat stored with my tail between my legs, that's my tactic :suicide:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
What would some examples be of logistical problems encountered when attempting a meatloaf cake consisting of two 9"-round layers?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

The meatloafs will bulge upwards in the center. You con put weight on them while they rest to counteract that.
A swell idea :haw: (thanks!)

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Your neckbeard will get in the way of your fork when you try and eat it.
This was an issue when dealing with my macaroni-and-cheese cake w/bacon frosting so I'm well prepared, but thank you!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

:stare: You are living the dream.

Please post the recipe for the frosting.
It's more of a coating but since it's on a cake it's a frosting. Meh!

5 strips thick-cut uncured bacon
1C panko bread crumbs
2T butter

Place bacon on cold griddle and fry over medium heat. Melt butter in small sauce pan and combine with panko. As bacon fries, drizzle the grease into the breadcrumb/butter mixture and stir. When bacon is just shy of crispy, chuck it in a food processor or crumble by hand, combine with breadcrumb/butter/grease mixture.

Here's the thing:

edit: I realize how absurd this is and just wanted to see if it could be done, don't judge :love:

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2012

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
1.) How awesome is https://www.cookmarked.com anyway?

2.) Some external enamel paint on my cast-iron dutch oven flaked/chipped off. What should I repair this with? "Nothing" is an option I suppose.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

^^^^^ Seems about right

Does anyone have a good recipe for Brat buns/sausage rolls?
The King Arthur brat rolls recipe is king gently caress of poo poo mountain:

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 packets or 2 scant tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
2 cups warm milk (105°F to 115°F)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
6 to 7 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*
egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
sesame, poppy or caraway seeds or coarse salt (optional)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns-recipe

Use whole milk!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best price for KA flours I've found is at Target. Everywhere else has a 5lb bag for like $7 but Target's price is around $3, which means they probably aren't making any money on it which means I don't feel so bad for shopping there :3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

Ordered from Amazon. Thanks!
Ratio by Michael Ruhlman is a phenomenal book if you like to tinker with recipes.

Bittman's pancake recipe is my absolute favorite because I barely have to remember anything, and I get to whip egg whites, which never fails to fascinate me because I'm a big idiot :3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

Seconding this, heavily. Get it as a counterpoint to the Bittman book, I wish I'd started my cooking life with Ratio. It's a hard book to use for me because I was brought up in a rigid recipes cooking environment, I can only imagine how great it would be if I had found it when I was untrained.
It's a beautiful wonderland of missteps, flashes of brilliance, and the persistent antagonizing of one's self to get off your rear end and make poo poo up.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have $1.25 for food for the next ~4 days. How do I best stretch this? I'm thinking rice.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

A pound of dry beans is about a buck. Do you have anything else in the cupboard?

Where do you live? If your close, ill pack you some supplies for the next few days.
That's awful nice of you, but I don't think it's anything that dire! :) I'm just trying to see what sort of things I can come up with. I have the staples (a 5lb bag of bread flour, 1 stick of butter, ~2C left of corn flour), some cheese, baking soda/powder, hot sauce, yeast, pizza sauce (?), olive oil, that sorta thing. The BIGGEST bitch on the SS Dumb Bitches Only is that my oven smokes up my tiny apartment even when there's nothing in it, so stove-top is my best option. I've been subsisting on home-made cheese quesadillas and coffee for the last 4 days but I think I need to eat something else for a while :\

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowcatcher posted:

Refrigerate the peeled veggies in a bowl full of water and they'll be fine
Tell her to not add the water to the crock pot.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Check out the Chip Shop while you're in NYC, also. There's also a super-fuckin-cute Italian place called Annie's Kitchen Aunt Suzie's! Both of these joints are in Park Slope. Oh, and Naruto Ramen. They might goof up your order, but it'll still be delicious.

http://chipshopnyc.com/
http://auntsuzie.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/naruto-ramen-brooklyn

And https://www.barcade.com is a total blast.

ugh i fuckin' miss nyc

scuz fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 7, 2012

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
If someone is worried about a possible mold problem in their small (~400 square foot) apartment, is making a sourdough starter gonna give that person botulism or is that a stupid thing to worry about?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

Yes.

Mold is not yeast is not anaerobic bacteria.

Starter can get moldy, but it's pretty obvious when it does.
Thanks a bunch!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Can somebody please give me a beef stroganoff recipe that doesn't involve cream of mushroom soup and canned mushrooms? Searching with google just gives me a bunch of "quick and easy Beef Stroganoff!" crap.
Cast of fthe yoke of the Lutheran Binder and do it the fun way :c00l:

The way I've always done it, which probably isn't correct, is to make kind of a pan sauce from the browning of the beef that I use. Deglaze with just enough chocolate stout, add some flour, whisk like a bastard while adding a little cream (a little goes a long way). I do the mushrooms in a separate pan with just a little butter and salt so's not to disturb the sauce-making (which is also probably wrong). You can chuck a bit of thyme in there if you want (I like to).

The big tricks here are source your ingredients well. I have a boffo butcher shop near me that not only sells the best meat I've ever gotten my hands on ( :haw: ) but sells fresh cream, too. That and make the noodles yourself if you like. Just cook 'em to super-al-dente, rinse in cold water, drain well, then cook them to tender in the sauce. I'm not sure if the noodles are supposed to be served apart from the sauce, this is just how I've done it and it's not very exact or traditional, I'm sure, but it's darn tasty!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Oh great, those recipes sound good and I have all of the ingredients on hand.

Also, I will be using venison instead of beef.
Wow, please post results. Venison is one of my very favorite things in the whole wide world!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Will do! I actually only eat venison and I am always looking for new recipes. Should have some thawed out and maybe I'll try one of the recipes tomorrow :)

I'm not sure what kind of noodles to use though. I'm not quite up to the challenge of making my own pasta (don't have a machine or anything) but I bought a package of those Reame's egg noodles from the grocery store.
Well we just had COOK OR DIE: DUMPLING edition so might I suggest making venison stroganoff dumpings?

Make you some gyoza dough by following the recipe on the GWS wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Gyoza_by_GodsMullet

Fill it with some shredded venison, steam 'em up, and use the mushroom gravy or whatever over the top of that. Fun little variant, could be.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Auuuuugh, another dense, "rustic" loaf of bread. Why can't I nail this? I want those wide open bubbles in the loaf and can't manage it. Process (for troubleshooting purposes) that I used:

20oz flour in 1:3 rye:bread ratio
12oz warm water (from the tap)
1/2t sugar (for the yeast to start)
1t yeast
2t kosher salt
1T olive oil

Let yeast bloom until I could smell it walking by (~10 min), mixed all ingredients together and kneaded into a ball, let rest while I did the dishes (~15 min). Floured work surface, kneaded for 20 full minutes (my wrists started hurting). Tossed with olive oil to coat and put it in a bowl with a lid on it and stuck in the fridge overnight. Didn't do much rising ~7 hours later, but I brought it with me to work (heh) and it doubled after warming up a little bit. Baked in a steamed oven at 375 for 30 minutes or until hollow sounding when tapped from the bottom. The taste is awesome, but ugh, this crumb is too tight. edit: Baked it without forming it or punching it down; should I put it in a loaf pan?

scuz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2012

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

You're hydration rate is too low for big open crumb. 12 oz water / 20 oz flour = 60% hydration. Here, this is a great resource: http://www.artisanbakers.com/crumb.html

Anyway, try increasing the water to get about 75% hydration. Open crumb should come in boatloads.

Edit: this resource is awesome, I haven't used a bread recipe in ages. I just put a cambro on a scale, tare, add flour, tare, add water to get desired hydration level, add yeast, salt, mix through with a spatula, and let rise for 16 hrs.
Yikes, an hour went by already. That site is phenomenal, thanks for the tip!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Im 100% positive that the process involved a mound of sugar in a dry, nonstick pan and the glob of PB on top of it. Way more than 3/4 cup of PB too. She used to use almost a full jar.
Was she using an electric or gas range? This could be important (but I'm not sure)!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Gas Range, and I am using an electric, though some of my failures were also on a gas range.

I'll go the 'stir early and constantly' method again and get a thermometer.

I'll also try the corn syrup, FGR. Thanks!
Some peanut butter brands can be more oily than others, perhaps having an effect on your efforts. As a frequent peanut butter consumer (I'm broke more often than not) I've noticed that Skippy Smooth is the oiliest.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

DaveP posted:

Worked a treat!

In other news: Flatmate did roast beef in cast iron dutch oven, left to soak overnight, bottom covered in black poo poo and sides flaking. Please advise (aside from 'beat to death with hammer')

Get super mad, then calm down and just tell your roommate how to care for that poo poo. So many people don't have a clue when it comes to cast iron maintenance. But yeah, that's a "start from scratch" pan.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bought frozen, rendered duck fat on a whim a while back and I think I should use it or something. I'm having a hard time coming up with things that aren't weird or just "potatoes and duck fat". The weird ideas are tortillas, savory pie crust, savory cookies (what?), sausages (I don't have a meat grinder), or just using it in place of butter when frying eggs etc.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Can I freeze beets if I'm only going to use them for borsch? I can only get them online and only in quantities far larger than I'm going to use at once.
Go for it; shred 'em first.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Socratic Moron posted:

My cucumber vines are being quite generous this year. Other than pickles, does anyone have any nice vegetarian recipe suggestions?

Thank you!
Using a veggie peeler, "peel" off long strips of them and make that a salad base.
Use the cukes as like a pasta substitute.
Put curls in your martinis/other cocktails.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure if I'm exposing myself as a kitchen fraud but I've found AB's recipes to be quite rewarding, same goes for everyone I've served them to.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

I wouldn't say his food tastes like poo poo. I've made a few of his recipes and they've turned out decent. I also wouldn't say his food is particularly good. I think a lot of his success is due to people depending on recipes on their soup cans or boxes of instant pudding mix. His are much better than those, and if you do the prep work reasonably and without a fully fitted woodshop, they don't take tons longer than green bean caserole from cans.

I think his biggest problem is balance. A lot of his food is very one-note. He could do a lot better job on that.
Sorry about your kid, Phummus. Hope it all turns up roses :love:

Anyhooters, yours is an argument that makes a lot of sense, and I sure used to fit the consumer model of "oh look, Campbell's says use their cream of mushroom this way" before I started watching Good Eats. I owe a lot to that show, so I'm a little biased. In defense of the one-note assertion, he's a self-confessed "purist", which may refer to the flat flavor profiles in his recipes. I've always interpreted this as a license to do whatever I like with the recipe, adding this or that until I get it where I like. None of the customization would be possible, mind you, without the confidence to perform them, which I found by way of AB's show and my own knack for tinkering with things that are perfectly fine.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Getting my oven replaced (:woop: ) and was going to celebrate by purchasing a 6-pack of Branston Pickle and making welsh rarebit all day. What else can I do with Branston Pickle, or what other sort of baked goods go well with it? Was thinking like maybe mini calzones stuffed with branston and a mild cheese and cream sauce.

RazorBunny posted:

His Italian style pork sausage recipe is actually pretty good, but I still ended up doubling the spices and 4x-ing the parsley. I also usually add red pepper flakes to mine for a little heat.
Yeah! I remember watching that episode and thinking "holy crap, he's telling me to heavily season something?!"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is all relevant to my next question.

Got my oven replaced today (:woop: ) and I wanna bake a Weight Watchers-friendly cake. I've seen the old box-of-cake-mix-and-diet-soda trick, but there's GOTTA be a better WAY!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Is that a cake that adheres to the Weight-watchers guidelines, or a cake that Weight-watchers want to be friends with?
Sadly, the former :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have some leftovers that I want to use up so I was thinking of making the following leftovers "pizza": a piece of naan bread covered with spinach, red onion slices, sun-dried tomatoes and sprinkled with cheese. Bake until cheese melts.

Would this just be stupid?
Nope! :)