Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Zedlic posted:

I'm attending a potluck with colleagues in a couple of weeks, and the theme is pumpkin. I want to skip the traditional pumpkin dishes and go for something either not very traditional or completely crazy out of left field stuff.

A little late but Suzanne Goin has a phenomenal roasted Squash and Fennel soup recipe from Sunday Suppers at Lucques that I made three times last year and will make again this weekend. It's so good even my fennel and squash hating husband loved it. I think it would work really well with sugar pumpkin.

Here's someone else that made it: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2010/10/roasted_squash_fennel_soup.html

Or you might be able to get the recipe directly out of the book on Google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=F8i3E4emYJIC

That is a fantastic cookbook, by the way. I've made several things and they've all been really wonderful.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Edit: would it be terribly presumptuous of me to add things to the wiki? I have archives access and time on my hands, but although I read GWS regularly I don't post much, and I don't want to piss off people who have access to boiling oil and really good knives. :ohdear:

I don't think anyone would be mad at you for helping the wiki :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Hey guys, I've got a bunch of brussels sprouts. I'm not the world's biggest fan of them, but I'm trying to like them. So far I've done a few standard takes - roasted with a vinegar drizzle, baked au gratin, stir fried. Anything else interesting I can do that doesn't involve a lot of butterfat?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Jose posted:

Crack the egg around the middle then just roll it on a hard surface so that it has cracks all over and the skin under the shell is lose. Then just pull at it somewhere so the skin breaks away from the egg and just peel it all off

For some reason this never works for me. I smoosh the top and the bottom of the egg, where the air pockets are, and then remove the tops and bottom, and pick away the shell and membrane in as big pieces as possible. When I roll the entire egg around to crack it everywhere, little pieces always stick to the egg for me.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Irish Revenge posted:

leaving it out of the fridge for about 8 hours.

Toss it. Don't even use it for stock. It's garbage.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll see if I can get it. In the meantime I think I'm going to have some more of it because yum yum yum I'm like Paddington Bear with this stuff.

I would also like this recipe if it's water bath cannable (can-able? cannibal?). Please. Pretty pretty please.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Rocket Man posted:

I'm looking for suggestions of a good cookbook with sweet pie/fruit pie recipes, preferably with British/European measurements - Celsius baking temperatures at the least. I've got a British friend who came and stayed with me in the States for a while earlier this year. While here, she had sweet pies for the first time - to her, "pie" had always been pasties and the like, savory dishes. She decided she quite like sweet pie, as would any rational human being, so she's started experimenting with baking them herself. She says she's having trouble finding British cookbooks that have sweet pie recipes, though, so this sounds like a perfect Christmas present opportunity if anyone knows of a likely book or two.

The Williams-Sonoma baking books have metric conversions. I have the general Baking one, which is an extremely solid baking book that I like very much; if it gives any indication of the quality of their books, their Pie and Tart one would be good, too (http://www.amazon.com/Tart-Williams-Sonoma-Collection-Carolyn-Beth/dp/0743243161) There are others, but that's the one I can think of off the top of my head.

However, I wouldn't worry about the temperature conversion. It's the weight conversions that are tricker since there are several per recipe, but Celsius conversion isn't hard, there are a finite number of conversions, and so many baked goods are baked at 350 anyway. If you find one that does weights in grams but not temperatures in celsius, you could always put a sticker on the inside front or back cover with handwritten conversions of 300 through 450 degrees, that would be a nice thoughtful touch, too.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

daani posted:

So I tried courgette for the first time ever (don't judge me!).

Followed a recipe cooking it for 20 minutes at 200C (400F), and flip it once.
The recipe said it would turn crispy, but they were rather mushy, not that I'm complaining, it was fantastic.

Did I cook them too little or did I cut them too thick?

Does anyone have an advice on how to cook these lovely, cheap things to make it taste even better?

Zucchini has too high of a water content to really turn crispy. To me it looks like you did it right.

Zucchini are also good:
Finely diced and tossed with corn, briefly sauteed, tossed with lime juice and salt and topped with parmesan and cilantro;
Shredded and made into Korean zucchini cakes;
Seared on the grill with mild chiles and put into tacos with Mexican sour cream and your choice of beans for excellent veggie tacos;
Stuffed with... lots of other things (like sausage and tomatoes)

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Hey guys, I'm doing a birthday dinner for my mom's husband and his family, not too big about 8 people. I'm trying to figure out some sort of an appetizer that's more than a cheese plate and not too heavy, expensive, or too time consuming. I was initially thinking onion tart/pissaladière, but I'd like another option or two (no mushrooms, no shellfish).

Here's the menu:
App - ?
Pureed leek & celery root soup
Pancetta-wrapped pork loin with red wine and fig jam
Roasted fennel
Hasselbeck potatoes with herbed sour cream
Coconut cream pie

Suggestions? No mushrooms, no shellfish.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

Hmm Id totally eat something with caramelized onions, stinky cheese, and a nice sour like clemetine jam/jelly/curd or some poo poo, though I dont know when that would fit into the menu.

I like this, maybe I need to deconstruct the onion tart a bit. I was also thinking of some glazed cippolini onions, but I don't know how to serve that as an appetizer (but maybe I'm overthinking it and just need to serve em with some bread and cheese).

The soup is served out of a tureen into cups so people can drink it while standing around, so the course order doesn't matter so much.

Junior G-man posted:

Well, if you're up to it, make a basic country-style paté a few days in advance; letting it rest will improve the flavours and you can serve slices with a little pickle, lettuce and crusty bread.

Looks impressive as gently caress, but isn't all that difficult. Plus, you can just slice and plate it, so it's easy on the effort on the day.

This is good too. Maybe pate/rilletes with a winter fruit pickle, bread, and caramelized onions. Hmmmm. I like it.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

I made some canned fruit stuff (plum compote, pear chutney) a couple months ago and I have greater than 1/4" headspace in some of the jars, more like 1/2". Are these still safe to eat? They're sealed tight and have not discolored.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mach420 posted:

A jar of "Better than Boullion" paste is decent and true to its name.

I keep this on hand. I like it better than boxed stock, even. You can get it a lot cheaper at Costco.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

I don't have this, but I remember the buzz when it came out:
http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Cooking-One-Judith-Jones/dp/0307270726/

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

And therefore, it will taste like nothing until you salt it. Then it will taste glorious.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Killing Loaf posted:

I'm surprised not to see a raw milk thread here. There's so much you can do with it that you can't do with pasteurised milk, like making fresh butter, cream cheese, and whey. Is raw milk an acceptable topic of discussion on this forum?

Yes!

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

bunnielab posted:

I want to make bread pudding for a new years party. The recipes online are all over the place, especially regarding the type of dairy and the amount. I am looking for some advice.

To complicate matters, I am going to make it with gluten free bread, as my the hostess has some pretty major allergies (the phrase "fountains of poop" was used once) and I know she really misses bread dishes. My experience with gluten free bread makes me think I will need to add more liquids to soften it up, but again I am looking for some advice.

Thanks.

I don't have experience making bread pudding with gluten free bread, but I do have a lot of experience making bread pudding in general.

Your opinion may differ, but I like a semi-custardy bread pudding with a crispy top. I don't like a gloopy, super-custardy bread pudding, and I don't like super-rich bread pudding where I can only eat 3 bites. Usually about 3-4 eggs per 3-4 cups of liquid. You can totally make a delicious bread pudding with all whole milk, but if you want to up the ante you can use about 1/4 to 1/3 heavy cream by volume. I don't like using all half-and-half or a lot of heavy cream, it's too heavy for me (especially if you're going to pair it with a chocolate or caramel sauce or something). But in the end it doesn't matter that much about the ratio of cream to milk, you can tilt it to your tastes, bread pudding is very forgiving. I also don't like a whole lot of extra moisture in there - for my tastes, it should be some custard swimming in bread, not bread swimming in custard. When I made Ad Hoc's leek bread pudding, I only used about 2/3 the liquid (Keller likes things super custardy, like his ice cream uses 10 egg yolks, and I am just not all about that). So I just pour the milk mixture over the bread until it looks sufficiently wet, and if I have stuff left over, oh well.

As for the gluten free stuff, I have no idea how that affects anything.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

WTF? Cabbage is awesome and easily one of my favorite vegetables. Coleslaw, stir fries, sauerkraut, sweet and sour red cabbage.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

squigadoo posted:

I am making a pork belly on pork loin roast for the boyfriend's mother's birthday, and I have no clue what to do for vegetables. If I was at home, I'd boil mustard greens and top it with oyster sauce, but I'm not keen on serving bitter vegetables to people that haven't had it before.

Any suggestions, please? The sides will be potato pancakes and applesauce with Alton Brown's recipe. Most people at the table will not be keen on sauerkraut.

Braised sweet and sour red cabbage
Butter lettuce salad with satsumas and pomegranetes
Broccolini with lemon and garlic
Swiss chard with currants and pine nuts and a splash of sherry vinegar
Green beans with balsamic vinegar and grainy mustard

Give em something with a little acid to cut that pork.

edit: oooh! roasted parsnips with balsamic vinegar and thyme. Yum yum.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 4, 2012

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Make gougeres. Serve em by themselves or stuffed with something like a crab salad and they are great warm or cold.

Yes. Plus, you can make them ahead of time and just reheat them as necessary if you want to serve them warm. No matter how many you make, you will not have any left over.

Same goes for these: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/12/garlic-butter-roasted-mushrooms/
No matter how much I make, there are none left over and everyone glares at me, asking me why I didn't make more (nevermind the fact that 2 lbs of mushrooms should be more than enough for 5 people when I have a full meal and dessert coming...). Serve with some sliced baguette. Put out breakfast radishes, good quality butter (European, cultured, etc.), and salt for even more fun (get little spreader knives for the butter).

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Kiteless would run you through with a grapefruit spoon if she read that.

I did read it, I just had to huff into a paper bag for a while afterwards and take a walk around the block. Thanks for doing the sperging for me.

I've been thinking of purchasing an electric rice cooker/Zojirishi, but I already have so many kitchen contraptions and big pots that I'm not sure I even have space for it, and I have no problems making good rice in a pot. Is really worthwhile? Does anybody in here even make rice on the stovetop any more?

Edit: I just took count of all my kitchen electronics. Large crockpot, tiny crockpot warmer, large food processor, small food processor, hand blender, countertop toaster/convection oven, Sous Vide demi, Kitchenaid stand mixer, hand mixer, electric spice grinder, electric burr grinder, electric coffee bean roaster, food saver, electric griddle, panini maker, waffle iron, and those are just the electronics not counting big things like roasters, woks, or canning size stock pots, lord help me I'm not kidding when I say I don't have room.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 10, 2012

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

squigadoo posted:

Yes.

re temperatures:

Aha. I will go for 138 or thereabouts, and tent. If it's too pink, I'll have to put it back in so I don't freak out the boyfriend's family.

re the 165F: That must be why my pork tends to be dry, but the one with the porkbelly on top was moist and delicious. It would be good to take the fat out, though, since there will be dessert.

Thank you!

Cover in pancetta and tie. Same effect, less greasiness. Plus it looks pretty.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Now I have a question. I have a friend who's a pescatarian and he wants me to sous vizzle some fish. What should I s-v? I'm assuming something with some texture like halibut, salmon, swordfish, etc. Anything else that's good?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Shellfish counts, but I don't get the deal with scallops. I've had them different ways and they just don't taste like anything to me. Doesn't seem worth the cost.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I want an ice crusher. A manual ice crusher.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Retro-Crusher-Stainless-Steel-Chrome/dp/B000YDCWDQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1326936525&sr=8-11

Like that. Only I want one that doesn't suck rear end and doesn't cost $50. Am I hosed? All I want to do is chew on ice. I just hate giant chunks and I'm tired of bashing my counter with a hammer.

Get an old one. One that's heavy and metal and enamel before everything was flimsy plastic.

Here are some. Plus, how loving cute are these!?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85272859/vintage-swing-a-way-ice-crusher-olive
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90197925/vintage-chrome-1950s-vogue-ice-o-mat-ice
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87118416/lemon-yellow-vintage-ice-crusher
http://www.etsy.com/listing/76547613/vintage-eames-era-ice-o-mat-ice-crusher

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Tots posted:

Is there a name to describe the flavor profile of cinammon/nutmeg/allspice/clove etc...?

The only thing I can think of is 'Christmas' and I'm pretty sure that's not it.

I've seen it labeled as "Pumpkin Pie Spice".

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

desert diver posted:

I've been given some Hungarian paprika. Does anyone have a decent goulash recipe I can make with it? Not too difficult, as I am a terrible cook.

Another spice question - I accidentally bought a ridiculous amount of caraway. What can I do with it?

Make some chicken paprikash.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_Paprikash_(Paprikas_Csirke)_with_Added_HOT_Spaetzle_Action

With the caraway, make some red cabbage.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Honey Badger posted:

Are there any good resources for recipes like this? Seems like a crockpot should be able to do a lot of different things but all I ever find are disgusting bubba chili, pot roast, and "barbeque" recipes.

You must not be looking very hard.
I have a couple slow cooker books from thrift stores that I've bought and never used. If you PM me your address, I will send them to you.

Also, there's white bean salad, slow cooker carnitas, braised short ribs, corn and poblano braised chicken, chickpea and spinach curry, ropa vieja (shredded beef and peppers), split pea soup, moroccan chicken with apricots, olives, and almonds, and now I'm tired of looking. You look.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Very Strange Things posted:

If you don't refrigerate Sriracha (at least the Huy Fong squeeze bottles) then sometimes gas builds up in them and a crust forms over the hole in the cocksauce nozzle.
If one does not exercise caution when opening the spout, this can result in an eye full of chili sauce.

If you give the bottle a quick squeeze when it is upright, after you've used it and before you close the spout, it will blorp out that tiny bit of sauce. Wipe it off before putting it away and you will greatly reduce the amount of crust and buildup.

The more you know....

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm probably going to be in Seattle around the start of March and looking for some recommendations for places to eat at. I'll be around the Tacoma Convention centre and will be looking for a good Coffee shop, a good cheap/mid priced place for lunch/breakfast and a place for dinner. I'd like to avoid chain places if possible.

Any suggestions Seattle-ites?

Tacoma or Seatlle? They are 30 min away and Tacoma will have a lot less options than Seattle.
P.S. Tacoma smells like rotten eggs. No, really.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Lullabee posted:

Oh, awesome. I never knew that it was made that way. I'm pretty sure it's the casein that I'm allergic too, since I don't have issues with any other foods that contain whey. How different is it from other cheese? Also, is there a pasta sauce that isn't marinera, and doesn't include a ton of cheese products that a restaurant would serve? Mr. Lullabee is set on italian for Valentine's Day and I don't want to be sick the rest of the night afterwards. Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but googling isn't much help when your palate doesn't like most food tastes. (Not a meat and cheese only type person, just certain foods don't taste good to me.) :smith:

Some of my absolute faves:

Bucatini all'Amatriciana! YUM!
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-bucatini.html

Orechiette with rapini and sausage, so freakin' good:
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-orecchiette.html

Lamb ragu, over any kind of wide noodle (I like pappardelle)
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-lambragu.html (you can skip the cardoons)

Pasta ala Norma
http://www.babbonyc.com/rec-pasta_ala_norma.htm

Now I'm just hungry...

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

I'm a spice whore and I have bags of spices that I buy on a whim from Penzey's or at markets but I don't always know what to do with them. Please tell me what awesome things I can make with:

achiote seeds
tien tsin peppers
juniper berries
szechuan peppercorns (besides ridiculous amounts of mapo tofu... already do that)

that hopefully aren't too terribly complicated because I am insane amounts of busy right now.

Also, looking for something awesome to do with celery root/celeriac that's not a mash, soup, or remoulade.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 8, 2012

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Susical posted:

I've got a shitload of pulled pork I made the other day, but for some weird reason, I haven't been in the mood to eat plain pork.

What are some good soups/stews I could make with it? I'm thinking of throwing a bunch of stuff in my crockpot and making a sort of spicy tortilla soup with pork. But what's a good tortilla soup recipe? I've tried making a few of the basic ones I've found online, but they were pretty plain. Anyone got anything?

1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
Couple cups of pulled pork
Soy sauce
sriracha
hoisin
sesame seeds
green onion
cilantro
rice

In a wok or very large skillet, fry the pork in a little oil until warm and crispy in spots. Set aside. Now saute the onion with a little oil until translucent and maybe a little brown in spots. Add the cabbage, and cook until starting to wilt. Add the pork, mix well, and add soy sauce, sriracha, and hoisin to taste. Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro. Shovel into your greedy maw because goddamn if that isn't delicious and stupid easy.

Also, carnitas. Tortilla, radish, cilantro, onion, hot sauce, maybe avocado if you're feeling frisky.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

aricoarena posted:

I've been going quater lime per drink but that like just started today cuase I had the day off. I should have been doing it all week and that would have been not problem but I was doing whiskey or beer :( I have 12 more juicy getting kinda old Limes right now.

You can portion and freeze lime wedges. They won't look so nice, so you won't want to serve them to guests, but if you have a lime emergency, like emergency gin and tonic, or emergency lime squeeze for tacos, you can use them.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Ok, so I got that berkshire pork linguisa for a song... now what do I do with it?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

So that's 2 recs here for pizza and 1 on chat... guess I'm makin' pizza?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Grill (or broil) it up and have it for breakfast with eggs and such. Or use it in caldo verde. It'd be bitchin on pizza with hard sheep cheese. Or use it like an appetizer by frying up chunks of it and serving it on toasted bread with some white beans pureed with garlic, olive oil, and rosemary.

Too lazy to make pizza, so I made caldo verde. Good idea, thanks Wiggles, it was a great hearty soup on a cold, dark, rainy day--I topped it with a drizzle of sherry vinegar, olive oil, and some smoked paprika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Guys I'm a filthy northerner and have never seen fresh okra at the farmer's markets, but I did find some over the weekend and now have maybe 3 cups of fresh okra. How long will it keep and what should I do with it, pickle it? Fry it?