Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've been using the same green marble mortar and pestle daily for like 15 years. It holds about a cup or so, and is just the right size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I know it's basic, but that sounds like an opportunity for a really good chicken salad. Like, the mayonnaise type.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I got a lot of family in the middle of nowhere frozen rear end Scotland and they all cook stovies cause it's good. They also eat curry. Weird, I know, but people can like multiple things.

Also, the highland kedgeree game is on point

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You will speak no ill about pizza supper.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Go eat collards for goodness sake

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

How much is 1lb of 80/20 ground beef where you guys are? $3? $4?

$5-$6 per pound in Las Vegas for cheapo factory meat. $7-$9 for anything quality. We hardly eat beef except at the steakhouse tho.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Put it on popcorn

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

Speaking of that recipe, does 1 tb of brandy affect the texture of pumpkin pie? Or any other custard-style pie for that matter?

Shouldn't.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ooooh rice waffles.....

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Freezing cilantro is a fool's errand. The thing to do would be to make a cilantro chimichurri and then freeze that if you must.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

poverty goat posted:

Also, herre's what 2.5 pounds of cilantro looks like

Oh. Well that's a small batch of chimichurri. Or maybe enough for a couple of sandwiches.

I mean really that's not very much.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

number 1 snake fan posted:

Costco has big packages of beautiful golden chanterelles, what can i do with them? I was thinking mushroom soup with a bunch of other kinds of mushrooms? Sauteed in goat butter and served over risotto? What else?

They're a delicious side to a steak. Simply saute in butter, salt, pepper, done.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

Since you're paying in pounds lamb (probably) means the meat of a sheep in its first year. If you're stewing, braising, making curry, or something like that you might try mutton instead. That's meat from older sheep. It tends to be less tender but more flavourful. Also less expensive.

Disclaimer: if you're buying from the US (for example) `lamb' is often applied to all sheep meat regardless of age, and if you're in India `mutton' is usually used for goat meat.

And all lamb and mutton tends to be expensive because raising sheep is enormously land intensive. Producing a kilo of lamb meat uses more land than producing a kilo of beef, for example. Affects the price, and if you're concerned about the environmental impact of your consumption habits it's something to keep in mind as well.

Strong disagree on your last point - land is not land is not land. Sheep and goats can be efficiently raised on marginal land which is not suitable for cattle. It is the ability of cattle to exist in a feed lot that gives them the efficiency advantage, but that's not necessarily an ecologically friendly efficiency. It makes more sense to use the soybeans we feed to cows to feed humans, and raise goats in deserts where we can't grow soybeans.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

They can be, but if you go to your local supermarket and buy a pound of lamb meat it's unlikely that you're going to be getting meat from an animal that actually was raised that way. I mean you could make the same argument for pork---in principle pigs can be raised so that they are a net benefit to the environment, but it turns out that's not what the market optimises for and so most industrial pig farms are loving superfund sites, and that's what you're buying from the grocery store.

I mean yeah land use for grazing cattle and grazing sheep looks different but at scale none of them are exactly what you'd call environmentally friendly.

True enough. And that's an important point about industrial pork that really should be more publicized.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, how about this?

- Cut off the fat and silverskin on the outside of the heart.
- Cut off the membrane, valves, and tendons on the inside of the heart.
- Season the heart with salt and pepper.
- Tie the heart back together with some butcher's string.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once oven is hot, place tied-together heart on small rack in cast iron pan.
- Place in oven, and roast for 60 minutes or until internal temperature of heart meat is 160 140 degrees F.
- Remove and cool before slicing.

I'll see how this goes.

You'd better tie up some bacon in there unless you want a heart that's tougher than shoe leather. Heart needs additional fat and moisture.

For my money, I find that heart does best adding serious beefiness to things like chili or beef stew.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Zenithe posted:

I just got a massive bag of jalapenos that are on their way out, what do?

Roast, peel, deseed, freeze.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Spinach works as well as water spinach in fai daeng. A fantastic side dish.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You would have loved the guy in here who once complained that he had to peel 8 potatoes

Thank goodness for tater mits!

On the too many vegetables, thing, though - remember that there is not a single vegetable that exists which cannot be stir fried or kimcheed to great effect.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

It's the perfect season for Potage Crécy. Unless you dwell in the antipodes. Which sounds like a euphemism involving pr0k's Mom but isn't, because if it was you'd already have something to do with all those carrots.

This was well developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I eat a lot of thighs, best way to is to bake/roast them. Lately I've been using the slow cooker, 3 hours on low for one layer of thighs is just about perfect. Pull the skin off, rub with seasonings, add a little liquid, boom done.

Otherwise I use a dutch oven or lidded casserole dish.

Braise is the best for thighs. I do one where it's thighs, onions, potatoes, thyme, a WHOLE LOT of paprika, and some chicken stock in the bottom, cooked until everything is nice and soft. Serve with sour cream.