Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Psychobabble posted:

If there is only a tablespoon of tahini in your hummus you're doing it wrong.

Agreed. I use about 1/2 cup for two cans of chickpeas. Tastes a little strongly of tahini right after blending, but smooths out deliciously by the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

CrystalRose posted:

Refreezing Question

My landlord showed up yesterday with a bunch of frozen pork for me and my husband. He raises pigs and had some butchered a few weeks back. The pork was frozen. Since it was frozen together I had to let the whole thing thaw. I cooked about half of it tonight, but I still have uncooked pork left. I know you are not supposed to refreeze meet after it’s thawed but I don’t want to leave it in my fridge for too long. Can I cook it and then freeze it? It's already been in my fridge, thawed, for 24hrs. I really don’t want this to go to waste!

It isn't unsafe to refreeze thawed meat, but it will affect the texture (somewhat) negatively. If the choice is throw it away or freeze, go with freeze.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ebay appears to have plenty of manual ice crushers in the $10-20 range.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

razz posted:

I made a recipe that called for buttermilk, but the smallest container they had at the store was huge. So now I've got about 3 cups of buttermilk left over, what can I do with it?

Cornbread. Pancakes.... That's all I got, I'm looking forward to reading other suggestions.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

Stupid question, but is making your own croquettes as simple as mashing some potato, shaping, rolling in egg and breadcrumbs and deep frying with a bit of salt and pepper thrown in for good measure or are there more steps involved?

Have a real craving for croquettes and would like to try my own...

I've made koroke (Japanese croquettes) a few times and made them exactly as you said. Salt in the potatoes is important IMO. Koroke usually have some kind of filling beyond the potatoes, like mixed veggies or meat, but plain is good.

e: I was thinking about this more - pretty sure I coated them with flour, egg, crumbs, not just egg/crumbs.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What if it's mixed into some liquid/semiliquid medium? Will that prevent snot?

This page is all about cinnamon snot in coffee, so I'm thinking no.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I searched but can't find it, what happened to that wonderful thread were the goon raised rabbits for meat? Did it fall into the archives? I'm researching to start doing it as well.

Looks like it did go to archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219174

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cutting the bone is good, it will let the marrow out. I don't really know what the good way to do it is, I've bashed bones with the spine of a heavy knife to break them.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

But that's where the fat came from!

Saute some asparagus in the fat. Actually, saute everything in it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Agent 99 posted:

What should I do with 150g frozen spinach that's thawed? (I'm aware this isn't the most appealing ingredient.) I used half the pack to prepare stuffing for chicken breasts, and I'm too cheap to throw the rest away. Any ideas?

It could be added to a stirfry or a soup. It is also good in meatballs, Alton Brown's meatball recipe calls for frozen spinach.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'd like to make some doner kebabs. I've made Alton Brown's gyro recipe in the past and it was pretty good, but I thought I could try something else this time. Does anyone have a recipe they like?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Dache posted:

I'm really in the mood to make Turkish UK takeaway style lamb shish kebabs, but in my kitchen. Anyone who lives here knows what I mean - big, tender chunks of marinated lamb cooked on a hot grill.

Does anyone know of a good receipe for that marinade? I've had a couple of looks on Google and I've found a couple, but I'm not sure how, er, authentic they are to the proper UK shish kebab experience. The good kind.

I don't know a good recipe for this, but I hope you find out and tell us how it goes. I would love to make some shish like I had in Turkey.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Mom does it pretty basic - salt+pepper the roast, sear it on both sides, and plop it into the oven, pour a cup of water with beef boullion in it. Toss in quartered potatoes and carrots and an onion and let it cook in the oven for 3 hours or so. Make the gravy with what's left, some people add flour at the beginning so you get gravy as it cooks but I'd just rather do it afterwards.

This is pretty much the recipe I use (aka Mom's recipe), but I also add some chopped celery, a bay leaf and a few cloves of garlic.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Would the potatoes pretty much disintegrate after 3 hours of cooking? When I make stews I just add them in 1 hour before completion so they're cooked.

You are right, they do get pretty mushy. Using whole potatoes makes that a little better, but the better way (non lazy way) is to add them towards the end.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I received a slow cooker for Christmas and have been trying to use it. Made some Goulash and meatballs with it. One thing I've noticed though is that the liquids inside seem to separate whenever I make something. So each time I take off the top there is an oily layer on top. I stir it up but it's back in minutes.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Sort of new to using a slow cooker and trying to follow recipes the best I can.

This is normal with a fatty cut of meat. You can get a fat separator, which is basically a measuring cup with the a spout that comes from the bottom. The fat stays on top and you pour the deliciousness out. If you have more time, you can remove the meat/whatever and put the liquid in the fridge until the fat hardens. Then just take the fat out with a big spoon.

I haven't used a slow cooker for things like goulash, so I don't know what you would do in that case. Why even make that in a slow cooker?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

scuz posted:

What would some examples be of logistical problems encountered when attempting a meatloaf cake consisting of two 9"-round layers?

The meatloafs will bulge upwards in the center. You con put weight on them while they rest to counteract that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The rest of the cow has to go somewhere, and it has the bonus of being called Kobe. No idea if it is qualitatively better, but it doesn't seem like pot roast would showcase the betterness anyway.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I got a bunch of tasty local raw honey.
Other than eating it from the jar like a fatass or mixing it into tea/whatever, what can I do with it?

Topping for plain yogurt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Econosaurus posted:

I'm living in the Czech republic and my kitchen is pretty bare bones. There's 5 of us, what essential appliances/tools do we need to make good, cheap food?

What do you have now? Is there a range? What kind of food do you want to make?

I think with this stuff you could make a lot of things:
big knife
cutting board
big bowl
big spoon
cast iron pan
pot with lid, oven-safe
utensils & plates

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

Awesome/Annoying Pro Pot Roast:

I made this yesterday. I actually haven't had the pro-est meat yet, still waiting on it in the fridge. Some notes:

Didn't start with kobe beef, lol. Used sirloin because it was on sale, 5 lbs.

I didn't deglaze with a liquid after searing the meat, I just deglazed with the veggies before sauteing them. In retrospect, the vegetables took a long time to get nice and colored, so I will roast them next time so they will be cooking while the meat is searing. I must have glossed over that when reading your recipe, because I now see that you recommend doing it in parallel.

Deglazed the veggies with a Pinot Noir that was on sale, Fetzer. I don't care for this wine, it is very one-dimensional.

I decided not to do a sachet and not to put a barrier around the mirepoix. Instead, I strained the liquid after cooking. This seems to work great.

For liquid, I used some chicken stock I had in the freezer, a couple more glugs of wine, plus a couple cups of water.

Cooked at 315 for about 7-1/2 hours.

I had to eat a piece right away (I think it might be impossible not to) and left the rest to soak in the liquid. Made a quick gravy with a little more wine and cornstarch slurry. Completely Delicious. The stuff in the fridge is supposed to be better, but I don't know if I can comprehend it yet.

The tomato paste is something I wouldn't normally put in my pot roast, but it makes the sauce really nice and full bodied. Getting a really dark color on the vegetables really does make quite a difference over what I would normally make.

Thanks for the recipe, I am going to keep using (a variation of) it for my go-to pot roast recipe.

edit: Ok, I ate the stuff that had soaked for a day. Not a trace of dryness. It is more of an improvement that I thought it would be. Really great.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 21, 2012

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

A Dutch oven on the stove or in the oven would work too, although you probably don't want to start that and leave the house the way you could with a crock pot.

Why not use the oven unsupervised? I trust it at least as much as the crock pot.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

pnumoman posted:

Heaven forbid your pilot light goes out on your gas oven.

Crock pots, on the other hand, were engineered to be turned on and unattended.

I have an electric, so I wasn't thinking of that, but a gas oven should be engineered to shut off in that event. No pilot light = no gas. And if the flame goes out but the pilot stays on, it should just light again (I think, I'm certainly not an expert). My mom's gas oven even has a timed start mode.

I don't have much respect for quality control of cheap crock pots (or any electric heating element products like coffee pots), either: http://rival-products.pissedconsumer.com/rival-slow-cooker-crockpot-caught-fire-glass-top-shattered-20090624150346.html http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/fe...appliances.html http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10328.html

taqueso fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 21, 2012

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Just cook them until they're done. Taste a bean before you take them off the heat.

I also had some bean trouble lately. I left the last batch simmering for 7 hours before I gave up and accepted that they would be a little harder than I wanted. There was some tomato paste in with the beans, could the acid from that cause them to not become soft?

I did a hot soak for 2 1/2 hours before the simmer. The recipe I was following (that said to use tomato paste) said it would only need to simmer for 2 hours.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

dakana posted:

Now, I'm assuming that I underestimated the temperature my electric range could reach, and it exceeded the smoke point of the canola oil. Is this right? Or did I do something else wrong?

I think you've got it the problem figured out. An empty pan on an electric stove can get quite hot. Electric stoves get a bad rap as not being hot enough, but really they are just slower than gas.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I mostly don't like electric stoves because you can set them to either be not hot enough to do anything, or :supaburn: and not much in between. I'm sure there are some better, more modern ones that do better, but the default cheap apartment model is a problem.

Mine has 4 pushbuttons instead of a knob, so it is really hard to maintain a temp that isn't one of the 4. Normal simmering is, of course, right in the middle of two settings.

vvv The joys of an affordable apartment in a great location.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2012

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

FGR is absolutely right, it is very hard to cook by time. Especially when the times were developed using a different oven than yours.

Get a probe thermometer like this, you can get one for less than $20:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ratio is really awesome, it is such a simple concept but something that I just didn't get for years. The Flavor Bible is also cool, it really helps when trying to invent a recipe or decide how to spice something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fraction posted:

What's the best cut of steak to use for making jerky?

I've previously used stewing steak, which came out delicious. I tried sirloin once, on an Internet recommendation, but that just didn't taste as good. I'm way overdue for making some jerky!

I asked my mom, who is famous for her jerky, says she uses the cheapest she can find and tries to avoid pieces with lots of large veins of fat running through it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

How can i tighten up falafel if if doesnt want go hold together? Assume no fancg chemicals.

A little bit of flour worked for me last time. I wanted to try chickpea flour, but didn't have any on hand or any dried beans to grind up.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

blakout posted:

What are some good general tips for cooking in a small apartment for one person?

I assume that means you have a little kitchen with no counter space? Do all the prep work first and clean up everything before continuing.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Locus posted:

infinite stew
I'm not sure about the health concerns, but if you do this, you should make a blog or something with a daily-ish stew reports.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

This is kind of tangential, but what are y'all's favorite calorie tracking sites?

I use cronometer.com because it is really simple and no frills, but still has support for recipes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Valdara posted:

My fiancee already burned rice to the bottom of one of my all-clad pans and then stuck it in the dishwasher. Even after scrubbing, there is still a patina with little rice shapes in it inside.
Easily fixed, though a patina like that wouldn't bother me in the slightest. This is cookware, not a Ferrari.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'd like to slow cook some pulled pork in a dutch oven while I'm at work. I have 6 pounds and want it to be done in 10-12 hours. What temperature should I cook at to attempt to hit the 10 hour mark? Is there some kind of mass/temp=>time chart I can consult? I was thinking 225F, but would appreciate any advice.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you can just trade it in for unseasoned, I would do it. You can always add salt, but you can't take it away. Unseasoned will be more versatile.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a quick way to stale bread for French toast?

Toasting some slices in the oven should do it, as long as you don't go overboard.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

fritzov posted:

Sorry, I was not sure if those recipies was copyrighted.
Generally, a recipe cannot be copyrighted. Descriptions, illustrations and other stuff accompanying the recipe usually can be, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was thinking of buying a four pound wheel of Red Dragon cheese (a cheddar with mustard seeds). What is the best way to store a partial wheel of hard cheese for a few months? I have a vacuum sealer if that is helpful, but I don't have anyplace like a root cellar.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

tarepanda posted:

Is there any kind of magical food you can eat after/while eating something with garlic that will keep that garlic aftertaste from permeating your mouth for a day?

Eat parsley after. Source: Encyclopedia Brown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Zojirushi owns and if you don't buy one you might as well buy those OLD BEN instant rice packets or some poo poo.

Panasonic is just as good.