Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Quick question. I'm making stock from leftover chicken bones. I know I'm supposed to be skimming it, but what am I trying to skim exactly? Is it the foam that bubbles to the top, or the gray/brown gunky stuff that collects under the fat? Or both? I feel the latter will be much harder to get as it doesn't collect together the way the foam does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Under the fat you mean? Because the bubbles on top look like foam, the gunky bray/brown stuff under the fat looks more like small pieces of skin or something.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Thank you. So I guess the scum and foam (scum mixed with air) are the same and I should remove both. Makes sense.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Stock question #2: Is it safe to let it cool overnight, outside? Overnight low is 42 F. Last time I made stock it was below zero so I went for it.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Crap. Well turns out there's nothing too important in the freezer so I'll just put it there.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Thanks for all the tips. Luckily when I did this last winter Sasquatch didn't get my stock. It probably helped that it was on a second-floor roof buried in snow. Anyways, I was afraid to let it cool to room temperature because I thought that could take a while (it's a huge pot) and be a risk. But my freezer is completely empty besides a couple bags of ice and a loaf of bread that I might as well move to the fridge. It was previously filled with a few zip loc bags each of chicken and vegetable scraps, but now those are all in the stock!

Also Cranberry Jam, good idea with the water bottle. Should speed the cool to room temperature part.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Here in the northeast US they are in the supermarket, either in the international aisle or with other canned and jarred vegetables. Look for cherry peppers, in a jar. They come in hot or sweet. If they're not in the supermarket, look for an italian deli if one's around, otherwise you can probably make your own from pimentos.

edit: I put them in all my sandwiches too, along with my homemade pickled thinly sliced red onions. Anyone know if you can buy these premade in the US? I can never find any.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 18, 2011

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I've got a problem. I'm trying to get better at cooking, including my weeknight go-to: stir-fries. After doing some reading, I've changed my style a bit, the biggest change being upping the heat quite substantially (and lowering the frying times as a result). The problem is that, while the food usually turns out pretty good, I always fill our apartment up with smoke. It's got to the point where I have to open all the doors and windows and remove the smoke detector. With winter approaching, this won't be doable for much longer. In fact, my girlfriend is on the edge of banning stir fries all together.

I use a fairly thick cast iron pan (don't have a wok), and usually grapeseed oil. Also the same thing happens whenever I pan sear meat. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong or is it normal? Is there anything that should be done differently?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Proper stir frying will make a lot of smoke. It's best done outside if you don't have a range hood that can vent the smoke quickly enough. One of those turkey fryer burners will work well, or you can get a specialty wok burner which will put even more heat. If you're stuck doing it inside, either cook at a lower temp or get used to the smoke.

drat, that's what I thought, but the gf was convinced I was doing something wrong and I had to check. I guess I'll experiment with fan placement to get the best airflow out the nearest window.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

So I decided to finally try to make pulled pork but then power outages ruined my plan. I stuck it in the freezer for a few hours before power went out and kept my freezer cool (let's say refrigerator temp) by packing it with snow. Today I said "gently caress it" and brought the slow cooker into my office. The pork looked alright before cooking and now it smells like pork, I guess. But should I be worried? Today is the fourth day past the sell-by date. Just curious if smelling and tasting good is enough or if I'm still risking getting sick from this.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

So I bought a steamed lobster, to prepare tomorrow for Valentine's day, but I'm not sure what to do with it. My SO recently told me she's never had lobster so that's my motivation. On the one hand, I'd like to let it stand on its own, with lemon and butter over a bed of greens. On the other hand, she can be a picky eater, so I'm also considering "disguising" it a bit with lobster ravioli. Any other suggestions? Something in between these extremes maybe?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It was steamed fresh in the supermarket a few hours ago (been in the fridge since I got home). It was an impulse buy as it was fairly cheap for lobster (and I was in a supermarket that won't be feasible to return to tomorrow); if I really shouldn't eat it the next day I could prepare it tonight - I haven't started on dinner yet. It's whole.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

Cool. if it's a whole steamed lobster eat it tonight! reheat it gently in the oven. You can reheat it tomorrow but it won't be as good. Assuming it's whole the guts and entrails are included, which causes the lobster to get gross, fast.

OK, thanks for the tip! We'll eat it tonight.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

drawn butter!

It was a big hit! Thanks again.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 14, 2012

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm making chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker. The recipe calls for 1 tbsp tikka paste but I forgot to pick this up. It gives the option to substitute curry paste + lemon juice but I don't have curry paste either.

Can I substitute curry powder or some blend of spices? The recipe contains plenty of tomatoes and diced garlic and ginger, so I don't think the consistency of the paste is critical. I also found this ingredient list for tikka masala paste:

quote:

2 cloves of garlic / a thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger / 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper / 1 tablespoon smoked paprika / 2 teaspoons garam masala / ½ teaspoon sea salt / 2 tablespoons groundnut oil / 2 tablespoons tomato purée / 2 fresh red chillies / a small bunch of fresh coriander / 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut / 2 tablespoons ground almonds
Spices for toasting 1 teaspoon cumin seeds / 1 teaspoon coriander seeds

I have everything here except the chilies, almonds, nut oil, and fresh spices (have them dried though). But that just leaves things that I'll be throwing in anyway.

Thoughts? Here's the recipe I'm trying: http://www.mealplanning101.com/2009/07/slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala.html

I've got 90 minutes to get the slow cooker going. Any help is appreciated!

Fake edit: One more option would be to pick up tikka paste or curry paste on my way home from work, but that would leave it in the crock pot for only 1.5-2 hours instead of the full 8.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Tonight I'm cooking flank steak for the first time. I don't have a real grill. Should I use a contact grill or a cast iron skillet on an electric stove? I think the cast iron gets hotter but I'm not sure.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 8, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if there's a "Swedes living in the US thread" I don't know where it is.

I'm a big fan of Kalles, a creamed cod roe paste in a toothpaste tube. I've been enjoying this breakfast for a while:

I got a 3-pack on Amazon for $50 as a novelty but I want more. It's too expensive to keep getting it shipped so I'm wondering if there's a domestically sourced alternative. It only costs like 3 pounds per tube in the UK so I figure I should be able to find something similar in the US that's reasonably priced. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Ikea has it.

Thanks!