Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

How do I prevent my nonstick pans from 'popping' in the middle; forming a well or a hill in the middle? I know you don't put them from the flame straight into the water, but it still happens.

Do I need to heat them slowly slowly the first time to "temper" them or what am I doing wrong :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

You need to buy less lovely pans, i.e. not 50 cent pans.

I bought a 50$ big Tefal nonstick for fish, so that's not really the issue here. It's thick enough.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I bought a lot of broccoli a few days ago because it was "beautiful," but as it turns out am not actually in the mood for any of the usual things I would do with broccoli, like broccoli and cheese soup, that picnic broccoli salad, serving it with pasta, etc. What's something interesting and different I can make? I was thinking about these broccoli rabe grinders, but I thought I'd see if any of you have better ideas first.

I've been thinking about this one, and I may have an idea you could try. Bear in mind that I've never, ever made this and it could be ghastly.

A broccoli dauphinois.

Very lightly (30 secs - 1 min) blanch the broccoli rosettes and dunk them in cold water. Allow to dry as best as possible.

Pour cream into a saucepan, add a lightly crush garlic clove, a bay leaf, and a halved shallot. Bring to just under the boil (when bubbles appear to the side of the pan, remove from the heat). Allow to cool and sieve.

Slice thin-ish into roughly equal sizes (or pick rosettes into smaller bits?), layer them in a baking tray of some sort (possibly individual ramekins), sprinkle finely chopped chilis over each layer, along with some parmesan cheese, and (maybe) some lightly sauteed red onion slices, add black pepper liberally and a bit of salt. Cover with a last layer of broccoli, pour over cream until not-quite submerged and sprinkle over a last layer of parmesan.

Put in the oven at 160C / 320F for 30 min? Maybe an hour? I wouldn't want to cook them to soggy gently caress, but the cream needs to 'set' and form that thickness you'd want of a potato dauphinois. I'd advise just keeping an eye on it after 30 min.

Pull out of the oven, leave to rest for about 5 min.

I like the idea of changing up the classic cheese-broccoli combination, and it could be an interesting side with beef of some sort.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 1, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Don't forget to pick all the good meat off the carcass and re-add it at the end. It's the best thing about a good chicken noodle soup.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Jenkin posted:

I'm currently in Spain and I want to take some jamon home with me. I'm going back to the US via England, though, and I can't seem to get a straight answer online as to if bringing in cured meat from an EU country to England is allowed or not.
If it isn't, I might just buy some in London. (I'm aware bringing cured meats into the US is a no-no, but I'd just as soon not double my chances of confiscation).

Probably not; they're really strict about uncertified food imports, but if you stuff it in your cargo hold luggage, I doubt anyone will search it.

If they do, just claim ignorance.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

^^ I want that so bad. Give me that now.

Jenkin posted:

This is customs entering the UK?

Blah, I might just roll the dice and mail it.

Well, I may be a northern European whiteboy, but I've never had my bags checked at Heathrow, nor has anyone I know of, especially not the stuff that goes in the cargo hold.

Mailing is fine, but that's gonna be an expensive joke.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Halloween party tomorrow. Wife talked me into grilling sliders instead of bigger burgers. When grilling something little like that, how do I keep it from getting too dray? Higher temperature but shorter cooking time?

You can use a higher percentage of pork, or just add some ground pork into your beef; it's got a higher fat content than lean beef, so it should help with the dryness.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Jive One posted:

How well would hot sauce work as a salad dressing, say on a typical garden salad?

I reckon it might, but use it very, very sparingly (I'm referencing my own extremely spicy sriracha here); maybe a drop or two with a little lemon or lime juice and olive oil.

I'd say that there's no need to use the fancy/expensive olive oil when you're doing a dressing with sriracha or other hot sauce, as it will just destroy those delicate flavours.

I'm curious about the results though! Let us know.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

SnakeParty posted:

Hiii,

So my roommate has got all of these Rainbow Trout filets...

Any suggestions on how to cook, marinate, ceviche-ate, do-some-thing-other-than breadin' em and fryin' em?

Thanks gooons

One of my favourite ways with trout is this. It's easy, delicious and done under 30 minutes if you've got a little knife skill:

Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius

1. Make a square of foil large enough to make a 'packet' at the end.

2. Rub a little sunflower/olive oil on the bottom.

3. Thinly slice some vegetables; leeks, carrots, fennel, onion will do well. Add in some herbs (chili/ginger for an asian style, thyme/oregano/rosemary for a mediterranean).

4. Lightly score the skin of the fish (this will work skinless too) and lay one fillet on top of the vegetables. If you have two fillets, put a few slices of lemon skins and a bay leaf if you have one(mediteranean) or chili (asian) in between. Salt and pepper.

Pour over a touch of white wine (med.) or soy sauce (a sprinkling, asian)

5. Crimp up your packet, and ensure it's closed.

About 15 minutes in the oven should do.

Serve with rice or new potatoes.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 30, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

razz posted:

Should I let the chili cool before freezing it? And should I put the lid on right away or wait until it's frozen? For some reason I've got it in my head that closing jars of warm chili and putting them in the freezer will cause them to bust.

Not so much that, but I believe that when you put warm meats (or meat-based chili I guess) straight into a cooler or freezer, the outside will cool while the inside remains warm, which allows bacteria to go nuts.

Just cool it to room temperature, it's chili; nothing will happen if you leave it overnight on the stovetop with a lid on.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

Speaking of blenders, I have a terrible urge to go buy one and get some frozen yoghurt and fruit to make smoothies. I tried looking online, but most of the recipes I found contain orange or pineapple juice, and they sound like they might be very sickly. Does anyone have any good Smoothie recipes or tips?

Juice isn't necessary, at least in most.

Just blitz yoghurt, a few ice cubes, and your desired fruit together. Keep a strong hand on the lid of your blender though; if the icecubes bounce out of the vortex you can end up with strawberry ceilings.

(I vaguely recall you being Dutch; just get the frozen berries from the Albert Heijn, they're ideal for smoothy making)

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 1, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Fagtastic posted:

QUICK

I need to thicken a watery tomato sauce.

A Beurre Maníe will sort you out. Guide with pictures.

Just mash equal quantities of soft butter and flower with a fork, and stir into the sauce bit by bit until you've reached the desired consistency. It will thicken a little further while cooking, so keep it just under the thickness you want.

Keep simmering for a few minutes after the beurre has gone in to avoid a flour-y aftertaste.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Kalista posted:

I'm making a lamb biryani for a dinner party on Saturday night. Any ideas of what I should serve as a side dish that's not going to take a lot of work (because the biryani takes a goddamn lot of work)? I anticipate between 5 and 7 people, and I don't feel particularly limited to a side dish that's indian either.

Lentil or chickpea dahl is pretty easy to do, and can be made beforehand and reheated.

Here is an example.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 1, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Well, the ultraclassic to go with lamb is a nice creamy mint sauce; reduce some white wine, brandy and chicken stock to about a third of volume with a lightyl crushed clove of garlic. Put in cream, reduce again, take out the garlic and then whiz the whole thing up with a bunch of fresh mint and a little lemon juice to taste.

Strain and serve. You can make this beforehand and reheat, just be sure to add in a knob of butter at the end.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

It's not a 100% thing, but if taste and smell are fine, I'd eat it.

Dunno about your sickly, diabetic, dying grandmother though.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

I found a local shop that sells an amazing chocolate balsamic vinegar. I was thinking of pairing this with a pasta and red pepper flakes for something basic, yet good. Do any of you know of something else I could do?

I imagine that it would be awesome if swirled into a raspberry custard, especially with a little vanilla ice cream.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

If you really want to get rid of the skins, you can always pass and press it (with the back of a spoon) through a sieve, unless you want that rustic texture.

A pinch of sugar should do it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Make a layered gratin with potato, celeriac, turnip, and parsnip in stead of mashed potatoes and cut them out with a ringmold.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

A really nice 2-3 person meal is a simple amatriciana sauce:

1 (good!) can of tomatoes, diced
1 red chili, finely chopped
75ish gram of pancetta or smoked bacon (normal bacon will do in a pinch), diced
1 red onion, chopped
Salt and pepper

In large enough pan, fry the diced pancetta over medium heat until it smells delicious and the fat runs, add the onion and gently fry until soft, about 5 min. Throw in the chopped chili, stir for about 1 min and add the tomatoes.

Leave to reduce for about half an hour on a very gentle simmer, tasting after 20 min to see where it's at.

If it's a little too spicy you can add a touch of cream.

Boil pasta, reheat sauce, drain pasta and add to sauce (or other way round) and cook over low heat for +/- 1 min so the pasta has time to absorb. Penne are ideal, but spaghetti will do.

Sprinkle over chopped basil for a nice flourish if you want.

For a base-base, do the same but just leave out the chili and pancetta. Add in a little minced fresh garlic and whatever herbs you like.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 4, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

IfIWereARichMan posted:

Rice + beans + milk?

Rice+milk = rice pudding. Very nice if you get some cinnamon and raisins in. Plus, there's a thousand styles to try out.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Dutch cream pots are poo poo. They are notorious for exploding in my bag, or collapsing all over when you drop one on the kitchen floor.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

So I just bought some dragonfruit at the market because they were there, I tasted some, and it was decidedly awesome.

Now, what the hell do I do with it? I was thinking of juicing it, folding with some whipped cream and eggwhite to make a mousse, but I'll take other suggestions.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

Two questions I hope I can get help with...

One: I made my first peppercorn sauce the other day, basically a Roux and double cream with crushed and whole peppercorns and a pinch of salt, but it tasted just like cream with a little almost unnoticeable hint of pepper. Any idea what I can do to get more flavour in them?

Here's a repost of the peppercorn recipe from my old French cooking thread, which is now in the archives.

quote:

So, the sauce.

Mis-en-Place:
- 0.5dl red wine
- 2dl cognac/brandy (with both alcohols; if you’d only drink them for a bet, don’t use them to cook with. Crap ingredients go in, crap results come out.)
- 3dl beef fond (basically, good, deep stock. If you have homemade veal or beef, now’s your chance! Stock cubes will leave a poor and very salty result)
- About 30 black peppercorns, just cracked with mortar and pestle or with the flat side of your knife. Do NOT pound fine or use powder.
- 1 shallot, quartered
- 1 clove of garlic, smash once with the flat side of your knife
- A few bits of fresh rosemary (not too much! It will take over the sauce
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ~ 1.5dl cream (start with a little less than you think you need, add more to taste)
- Pat of cold butter (I eyeballed this)
- Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Throw the red wine, cognac/brandy, fond, peppercorns, shallot, garlic clove, rosemary, and thyme into a thick bottomed! saucepan. Reduce to 1/3rd to 1/4th of the original volume. Do not bring to a roiling boil, but simmer/boil very gently. Taste from time to time. Strain.

The sauce, when reduced, should taste very peppery indeed. It should burn a bit in the back of your throat and you’re thinking “this is far, far too much. I’m not serving this to my guests, gently caress JGM and his stupid thread”. If it’s too much, whisk in a very little granulated sugar to reduce, but use very sparingly.

The cream and butter will substantially reduce this taste, which is why it’s important to over-pepper in the first reduction.

2. Add the cream and reduce, again, to 1/2 – 1/3 of volume. Whisk from time to time to avoid a skin forming on the top.

Your sauce should taste a lot milder, but definitely still like a black peppercorn sauce. Do not over-reduce at this stage; the sauce should easily coat the back of a spoon, but it shouldn’t be really thick. Use common sense.

3. Pull the pan of the heat and make sure it no longer boils (ie. No bubbles popping out of the surface.) Cut the pat of butter (mine was, I guess, 40ish grams) into chunks and toss into the sauce. This is called monter au beurre and it will enrich the sauce and make it shiny as gently caress. Add the butter and gently swirl it into the sauce. No spoons or whisks necessary, just use the motion of the pan. After you’ve added the butter, do not reheat the sauce past boiling point. Just do it gently, you loving goon.

It should look like a shiny paint gloss like so.

Add salt and pepper to taste. A gentle hand will suffice.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

soap. posted:

I think my earlier question may have gotten lost, so I'm going to give it another go.

If I'm making pot pies with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving (so pre-cooked) to freeze, how would I go about it? Parbake the crust a bit, load it, top it with raw dough?

Definitely blind bake the crust first; your turkey is already done so all it needs is a reheat, and you don't want the gravy to make the pastry all soggy, especially if you're going to freeze it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

soap. posted:

Thanks! And what about the top crust? Leave it raw? Bake it flat for a bit?

Just put that on at the end, otherwise it won´t seal properly with the other parts.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, minced shallots pretty much require chopping with a (very sharp) knife, no real shortcuts around it unless you want puree.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I made chantarelle mushrooms again this weekend, and I find that they're a bitch to clean/de-grit:

If I wash them with hot water they get kind of soggy, and I don't get the nice browning effect when I sautée them afterwards. If I don't wash them, well, it's gritty.

In short, how do you get rid of the sand without making them all soft and soggy?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I'd say simply dice the onion fine, clean off the mushrooms and sautée both over medium heat with butter, some thyme sprigs and a smashed clove of garlic or two.

For extra delicious, put them on a piece of toast, sprinkle over a little parsley and good olive oil and top with a poached egg.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Grushenka posted:

Thanks. I just bought butter, and I guess it will have to go. It was a tad soft to the touch. Not gonna risk it I guess.

There's a line between a good sense of food safety and paranoia, and I think you may be on the edge of trangressing it. Soft butter is perfectly normal, butter even keeps for days and days at room temp. I always have some out for sandwiches and cookery and it's never made me ill.

When in doubt do a smell test; your nose will tell you whether or not it's fine like 90% of the time.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I didn't know that there were people out there in the civilized world without butter crocks.

What a sad life :psyduck:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I don't normally eat the skin on chicken,

You are an awful heathen, repent and eat all the chicken skins.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Oh are we sharing thanksgiving menus?

Here's Mine so far:

Faux gras with parsley gelee
Herb and Lemon brined deep fried turkey
Merguez, leek, and fennel dressing
Sauteed green beans and pancetta
Potato dish, probably a dauphinois, but I'm pushing for something better, perhaps pommes pave.
no knead bread
risotto con funghi misti

Pumpkin bread pudding with vanilla creme anglaise
Sister's dessert TBD

As per usual, I'm probably biting off more than I can chew, food prep wise. Wondering if anyone has any fantastic potato dishes.

I'm down with all those things, except the risotto; I'm not seeing how it works with the other dishes, or how you can prevent it from congealing on the table.

I don't want to be negative, but that's already a lot of food, and more starches will just make people feel bloated.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

fatherdog posted:

If you don't feel bloated after Thanksgiving, you're not doing it right.

Not being an American, I'm sure I won't ever.

But still, it's such a weird thing to put in the middle of all those really lovely American-style dishes.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Dane posted:

That's pretty much it, yeah. The difficulty is usually in flipping it.

I cheat and put a big plate over the pan, turn it over, put another big plate on top, take off the top plate, put the pan on upside down again and then back on the stove.

I know that sounds incomprehensible, but it's quite sensible if you think of it.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I don't know if you'd need to brine the turkey, but you could scoop some of it in the brining liquid. Otherwise, just rub that dirty, dirty bird with olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs de provence.

Sautéeing parboiled and sliced potatoes in olive oil and a little chopped garlic is nice, sprinkle over some more. Might want to be careful with the amounts used; some HdP mixes have a ton of oregano in, which overpowers a lot of dishes.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Honestly, both methods are delicious.

However, if you're in possession of a pan with grill marks you an slice it very thin and grill it like you would a courgette. They're delicious with those big black grill marks and a little olive oil drizzled over as a salad.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

(Bored and at home means I lurk this thread like a :krakken: )

First things first; you want to keep the oyster firmly in place; cover most of it with a folded towel and press down firmly to prevent it escaping and lodging the oyster knife in your mitts.

Start at the thick and pointy end; they look kind of like a wonky fan, you want to start at the base of it.

There should be a (maybe not quite) obvious line between the 'straight' lid and the curved one. Put the tip of the knife at the base of the fan, insert your knife there and get it in properly. Now, twist the knife and the lid should pop open. Run your knife along the top edge of the oyster to cut it cleanly off the top half.

Remove the top half and toss it. Run your knife under the tap, or dip it in a bowl of water to remove any loose flecks of shell that may be on it. Now, careful not to tip it and lose half that juice, use the knife to cut the oyster clean from the shell.

Here is a decent video.

For bonus presentation marks, put them on a little crushed ice seconds before serving. Leaving them on too long reduces the flavour.

For a vinaigrette, that would do, but if you put some very thinly sliced shallots, or even chopped, in a small bowl with (if you have them), a little finely chopped cucumber, and drizzle over a little of that vinegar. A very little sugar sprinkled on top and toss to combine. Wait a few minutes and you have an instant shallot/cucumber pickle. be sure to drain a bit, and don't put a lot on; even half a teaspoon will do fine. You don't want to overpower the oyster.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 22, 2011

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

I should've been clearer; I was referring only to the stuff that the raw meat has to touch, like cutting boards and knives. I think you still answered my question, though. Thanks!

Yeah, hot water and soap will do you fine, bleach is definitely a step too far. I've cooked and cleaned up after chicken in far, far less sanitary conditions (camping trip) and never gotten ill.

Joborgzorz posted:

So I found some brisket in the freezer, and it's been there for close to a year I think. Will I die if I eat it, or will the texture just be pretty off? Planning to slow-cook it if it doesn't smell like death when it thaws.

Smell test should be all you need really. Just take a very small bite when it's done and if you don't break out in shits/hives/vomiting it'll be fine.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Slopehead posted:

Cheese sandwich like the marmite website suggests?

Best sandwich in the world, accept no substitute!

Use a decent cheese, butter, and a light (or heavy if you've become addicted) smear of vegemite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Chard posted:

What would you recommend? The choices in olive oil can be a bit overwhelming. I have a place that does amazing infused oils and vinegars but that's just for special stuff, not cooking general dinners.

I just get some regular supermarket type olive oil that doesn't say "extra virgin" on the tin. No need to buy anything too fancy, but don't buy the cheapest bottom shelf stuff either.