Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hey folks, I just saw this thread in SA-Mart Coupons about a free e-book full of Chili, Soup and Stew recipes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438119

With cold weather approaching, I thought that would be handy to know about. It's a freebie at the Amazon Kindle store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Neko Sou posted:

but does anyone have any experience with Weight Watchers and WW-friendly recipes?
Heck yeah! Cooking points friendly meals is easy as hell once you take a look at what the plan encourages:
- Lean proteins
- Lots of veggies
- Low fats
- Smaller portions

Spices are basically free and that opens up a world of seasoning. You shouldn't ever worry about bland food when doing WW since you can always bust out the hot sauce and go to town.

Remember that portion control is a major part of the plan so weigh and measure *everything*. Grab a 1 cup measure and scoop out your final product so you can really see how much that is on your plate. Get smaller plates and it will look like more food and once you've had a chance to eat it and enjoy the meal, you aren't as likely to be hungry. Retraining yourself as to how to think about food is part of the process.

Here are a few recipes I made while learning how things work. It uses the old points system, I haven't recalculated for PointsPlus, sorry.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Knockknees posted:

Here's what I've got:
2 cans san marzano tomatos, 4 small roma tomatos
lots of garlic
lots of onion
lots of oil
veggie stock
a little fresh basil
Add some tomato paste and celery and you're set. Heat your oil, throw in the onion and celery and cook that till fairly soft. Throw in the minced garlic until you smell it strongly. Pour in the diced tomatos and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Bring up the liquid content with your veggie stock. Knock it around a bit with your spoon and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and walk away for a few minutes. Come back, stir, walk away again. Toss in a bit of pepper and some sugar - just a little bit. Stir.

20 minutes later or so oh sweet jesus that smells good. Throw in some chopped basil and stir. Let it continue to simmer gently for another little while (ten minutes or less) and you should have some super tasty garlic tomato soup.

Don't skip the sugar, it's going to help balance the flavors. The salt will come from your veggie stock so you shouldn't need to add more.

Oh and the times are completely approximate. The longer you cook it, the more the tomatos will break down and turn into more soup. Just keep stirring. If you have a stick blender, whack it in there to puree some of the tomato chunks. Hell, if you have a blender at all, puree the tomatos right at the start and throw them in.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Strained and in the fridge. It will keep the longest this way.

Make sure to keep it in a covered container. That way it won't pick up any nasty odors from other stuff in your fridge nor contribute a greasy, bacony stench to your fridge.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Go with Christ posted:

In my defense, his burners are confusing. The substance was white rice, if that helps any.

Also, the internet suggests emptying a bottle of ammonia into it, covering it, and leaving it outside for a few days. Preferably somewhere Pookie won't find it.

Ammonia sounds like a bad idea based on my dimly recalled chemistry classes. Hydrogen peroxide is recommended by another place and that seems like it would make a nicer reaction all around. Another option is to hose the pot down with oven cleaner and leave it for a couple hours before attacking it with a scrubbie pad.

Finally, this site uses an acid reaction that may work pretty well: http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/cleaning/how-to-clean-burnton-stains-from-stainless-steel-cookware-home-hacks-107750

Good luck!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CoolZidane posted:

Basically, what advice do you guys have for a newbie chef with a reluctance against vegetables?

Got any friends that are good cooks? Go to their houses and eat. Eat everything that they prepare even if you "know" you don't like it. Just shut your noise hole for a bit and eat what's in front of you.

Repeat this with different friends and make some notes as you go. What did they make that you enjoyed? What was seriously awful?

I've got a suspicion that many of the veggies you don't like are because you haven't had them prepared in ways that make them shine. Or, you'll find out that when they are in a dish it's fine but not so good raw.

Me, I don't care much for eggplant. I don't like the texture or the taste particularly. If it's being cooked by really brilliant folks then I can eat it but it is a veggie I won't buy or prepare for myself. I only know this because I've had it in dishes, by itself and prepared by several different cooks. I just don't care for eggplant.

I hope that if you are put in a position where it would be rude to refuse what's put in front of you then it will help expand your culinary horizons a bit. And if not, well at least you ate some veggies.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Other than shaved/grated as a topping, any suggestions for Parmigiano-Reggiano?

Use it in the most lucious alfredo sauce you've ever had? Make it half of the cheese needed for cacio e pepe. Buy it in the 50lb wheel size, dump some bourbon in a bowl, light it on fire and build a sauce out of the flaming cheese wheel thingy like some other poster has seen? It's good cheese, use the hell out of it!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Serendipitaet posted:

Second, all stock recipes advise to only simmer the stock. I'm making stock from bones with only some meat on them and I'll discard any solids anyway when I'm done, so could I keep it at a boil for the entire time?

This will make a hella cloudy stock. The boiling will stir up all the particulates and it will be hell to clear it up. It'll be gross-looking and isn't going to work better than a slow simmer.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

You probably can use a crockpot just fine for making stock. I'd put it onto high first so it comes to a boil and then lock it down to low.

You can cut out all the meat that's practical to get at from the chicken carcass before you try to make stock with it. Rough chop the veggies and throw them in after the stock has been simmering for an hour or so on its own.

If you use garlic cloves just toss them in. Consider adding a bay leaf, some thyme, a few cracks of pepper, onions carrots and celery. It's super easy to add much more complicated flavors later on so leaving the stock relatively plain is fine and dandy. It's a base that you'll add flavors to in the future, it isn't the main show itself.

Alton Brown Stock Recipe.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

THE LUMMOX posted:

Thanks for your reply. What do I do about the foam though? Obv. Because its a slow cooker I won't be minding the pot...

I thought you were using a slow cooker because you didn't have access to a regular stove. I don't think you'll have very good stock if you don't watch it a little bit and skim it and take care of it. It requires some definite labor during the creation.

If you were wondering how to make a no effort stock I'm not sure if that's possible at home. Maybe some weirdass contraption like a metal splatterguard sunk a little bit below the surface of the water so that foam and scum will rise up but have a harder time heading back down into the liquid. I have no idea.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Nope - that is my point I think!
It takes 1 calorie to raise a gram of liquid 1 C and about 80 calories to change the same size chunk of ice into liquid water. This is weird but part of "latent heat" and has to do with phase changes between solid to liquid and other whacky stuff. It's pretty amazing and the best part is that the early experiments were done so that whiskey distillers in Scotland could more effectively calculate how much fuel they'd need to run their stills.

Gettin' tanked, doing science.

To the person asking about transporting ice cream - use dry ice. It will keep your ice cream rock solid for the entire trip. Just make sure your cooler doesn't have a locking lid and you'll be fine. It'll need to "burp" once in a while.

For a neat trick that takes advantage of phase changes in matter, grab a paper bag, fill it 2/3rds with water and then hang it over a campfire. You can bring it to a boil just fine without the bag igniting because all the water in the bag has to be boiled off before the bag can burn. It's mostly fun as a campfire demo but it's still fun to do once in a while. Hell, I've cooked eggs in paper bags for fun.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 30, 2011

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone experimented with the 4-5" class of pans for this sort of thing? I'm thinking a 5" pan would double nicely as a 2 egg omelette pan as well.

They work just fine. As ICR pointed out, cast iron pans are just old style cookware. There isn't anything magical about them. They're heavy as hell, require more care than modern pans and don't have totally awesome coatings to reduce food sticking to them. They are inconvenience pans.

On the other hand, they are tougher than most metal pans you'll use because they are a huge lump of iron, they can endure a lot more use and abuse than modern pans and are best for hand-to-hand combat compared to a flimsy teflon pan.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

rj54x posted:

This isn't intended to be a love letter to cast iron, I just think you're really underestimating the ease of use and utility of a good Griswold or Wagner pan.

I've got several cast iron pans and as Aery points out these are not low-maintenance out of the gate.

PretentiousFood - that's a much better idea. I've been thinking of a silly thread about cookware so I'll see if I can get the pics/stuff needed to put one together that's a bit more serious. No one wait on me though, if you have something to say about cookware, go ahead and say it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

garrodd posted:

I want to make http://goonswithspoons.com/Cinnamon_Rolls_-_Don%27t_go_to_Cinnabon but I don't have any milk. Can I substitute it for water and still end up with tasty cinnamon buns?

No.

For a more complete answer, you want a liquid that has some fat and sugar and water all mixed into one delivery vessel. Milk has it all. If you just had water you'd have to do some weird chemistry to add in the fat and sugar content. Weird enough that it's not worth doing, go and buy some milk before making this recipe.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

edit: Bailey's for sure goes bad a few months after it's opened (manufacturer says 30 months if unopened),

Bailey's goes bad exactly 12 minutes after opening that's why you gotta CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I've had it last a good long while on the shelf - months and months. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and use it normally over time. Give it a sniff before you mix it into anything and you'll be fine.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

I know that it's been brought up here before (thread has been gassed, I think) but I'm getting a cast iron pan, and I wanted to verify that I'm going to do it right.

The cast iron thread is a lot of fun as it flip flops between obsessive monk-like rituals and rites that must be performed in order for your pan to function and the reality that it's a heavy chunk of metal. You are going to be hard pressed to do *anything* wrong to it that can't be fixed with a bit of elbow grease and steel wool.

It's a no-poo poo durable pan and you should abuse it like it's a dumb hunk of metal. It's more about testing your forearm strength than worrying about how you wash it.

Wash it in hot soapy water if you want, it doesn't give a gently caress.

Pour in a big glug of bourbon and light it on fire to clean the insides. It gives no gently caress at all.

Use an acid/base reaction to cleanse the surface down to the molecular level. The iron atoms will come up a bit leaving mole after mole of iron atoms behind to keep you cooking. Fucks given as a function of F(x) = 0.

It's nice to burn off some fat in the pan once in the stove but it's really smoky and irritating and honestly it's not necessary at all. The pan will develop a coating the more you use it and cook on it. It's in love with fatty foods because the pan itself is decidedly non-stick. If anything even *hints* at sticking you better throw a pat of butter at it. gently caress it, throw half a stick of butter on there just to be safe. Maybe half an onion, sliced. You were making cornbread? TOO BAD, NOW IT'S BUTTER AND ONIONS TIME! RAAARRGGGH BETTER PUT A STEAK AND SOME BACON IN THERE TOO! THAT'S WHAT WE IN THE WEST CALL SEASONING BOY!

It's cast iron - just cook on it.

Zedlic posted:

I caramelize onion all the time in my slow cooker. I just slice them until the bowl is full of onion rings, drop a stick of butter on top, turn to low and leave for 16+ hours. If I'm around for it I'll start with a couple hours on high with lid off and then rest on low.
:aaa: Holy crap. I'm going to try this and see what happens. I'm a lazy lazy boy who doesn't want to commit to the full joys of making french onion soup. If I can slither my way through the caramelizing stage I will be happy as hell.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 12, 2011

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Zedlic posted:

The best part is that it's like a mutual exchange between the butter and onion. The butter stops the onion from burning and gives it a richer flavor, and once the onion is sufficiently caramelized you can strain the liquid into a container, cool it down and later pick up a solidified chunk of wonderful onion-flavored butter.

There is nothing about that last sentence I didn't like.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

taremva posted:

Will drinking cola light as opposed to regular cola have an similar effect on weight gain? I'd appriciate if anyone is able to elaborate if neccesary.
If you change nothing else in the diet but the type of cola you drink, you will have several hundred fewer calories per day in your diet. You will lose weight or not gain it at the same rate as before. That's what dino's link was talking about - you may be taking in a lot more calories than you burn. Eating entire bags of sugar-frosted lard is the problem, not whether you add a couple sodas on top of that.

If you have diabetes and are sensitive to sugar intake, diet sodas are pretty nifty.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

Nope, not serrated. :) Thanks for looking at them. I haven't really looked in the briefcase; there might be a brochure or something in there too. And lord, I hate that cursive font.
That's awesome that you found some knives! I hope they are a nice upgrade for you from whatever you were using before.

You may want to treat yourself and take your new knives in to get professionally sharpened. That way you can see how well they'll perform for you. Good luck!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

How do I make The Best Sauteed Mushrooms? Currently I just cook on high heat with salt, pepper, and garlic, and it's mighty good. But what would take it over the top?
A pound of onions sauteed in butter along with the mushrooms.

Mushrooms and onions are BFF's and should never be separated.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

Dunno, I feel like onions are the dependable but relatively uninteresting workhorse compared to the sexy racecar driver that is garlic. (When it comes to mushroom.) Or garlic's cousin shallot, who's an action film star. But onions will do.

:ughh:

Clearly you didn't read my recipe guide - 1 pound of onions per mushroom. A stick of butter should be sufficient to get things going.

In all seriousness the sweetness of sauteed onions that have a big pile of mushrooms mixed in is just so drat tasty. A little bit of garlic is nice but I think I end up going with salt and pepper and nothing else most of the time. This is for adding to steaks and omelettes and other things that are asking for "mushrooms and onions" rather than doing something to show off the mushroom itself. We only get white and crimini mushrooms at the store at any kind of reasonable price so those are the ones I'm used to working with.

My dad loves mushrooms of all kinds and recommends very light butter sauteeing for morels since they'll stand up on their own and I think that's an appropriate treatment for several other wild species of mushroom. I'm jealous when I watch cooking shows and they drop a big bag of Mystery Mushroom Not Seen in Idaho on the counter and start chit-chatting while chopping them up. Oh Mr. Pepin, I don't know what the hell you're making but I'm just gonna watch you chop things for a while. :swoon:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

casual poster posted:

EDIT: While reading some more recipes online I noticed that some of them want you to add soda to the mix? Does this actually taste good?

It adds sugar (sweetness) and the carbonic acid seems to have a tenderizing effect on the meat. It's not necessary but some folks like it and hey, experimenting in the kitchen is half the fun.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

A quick question about cookware. Are nonstick pots and pans usable after they've had something burned to the surface? I was making grilled cheese and some cheese got burned to the surface the burned stuff stained the surface black and now my roommate is going bonkers claiming the pan is hosed and has to be thrown out.

e: Also he claims butter left out a room temp will go bad in a matter of days, is this true? I ask this one for confirmations sake as I've left it out plenty of times before for a couple weeks with nothing bad happening.

2nd e: Can you use stuff like bleach/ammonia to clean cookware? (Not at the same time I know, unpleasant chemical reactions.)

If the nonstick is still intact then it should be fine. If it's bubbled up and showing bare metal underneath then you should probably replace it. On the scale of things to worry about, it's low but noticeable.

Butter left at room temperature will go bad. At some point. Use your nose and you can tell pretty easily if it's time to pitch it. Or better yet, slather it on everything and don't let it go bad. It takes a while depending on how warm the room is, whether it's being hit by sunlight or not, whether it's salted, etc.

Don't clean your pots and pans with harsh cleansers. Soap and water should do fine unless you routinely make crazy poo poo and don't clean up afterwards. Even then, use some universal solvent (hot water) and then scrub off the gunk. If you're using nonstick cookware you don't need to use anything but dish soap. If you have stainless, sometimes it's fun to cleanse it with a mild abrasive like a baking soda paste. It's even more fun to then pour vinegar in there and let it bubble up and be a big messy volcano in your sink.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Knockknees posted:

Is there anything I can add to it to give it that missing umph?
When in doubt - add heavy cream and butter. That'll rock your socks.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Tsioc posted:

I was told this was the proper thread, so here goes:

I've really started to enjoy the taste of horchata. So far my favorite is made by Cacique, but even the less creamy horchata at local restaurants is delicious. Is there a quick and easy way to make it at home? Or should I just keep buying the bottles?

Hahah the first recipe hit for rice-based horchata has someone talking about how lovely the posted recipe is. Here is their modification that sounds like it should work pretty nicely for home preparation:

quote:

This is gooey and a waste of time. Soak a cup of uncooked rice in water overnight. Discard water and place the rice, a can of evaporated milk and about 4 cups of water in a blender. Mix. Add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and blend well. Strain through a cheesecloth a few times and serve over ice. Easier and way better, i promise.

Someone later in the thread mentioned adding a little almond extract. Sounds tasty, I might give it a try.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Obscurity posted:

What are the cheapest most delicious ingredients to add to a pack (or two!) of Maruchan Ramen?

All I ever end up adding are extra spices. I guess meats and veges are the next route. Any odd concoctions that are cheap?

Carrots, celery, onions, bits of chopped ham. Use one seasoning packet instead of two but throw in some worcestershire sauce, a dash of sesame oil and some lemon pepper. Bring to a boil, throw in the noodles, boil briefly, reduce heat and let sit for a bit.

Consume and then die as 27,000mg of sodium hits your bloodstream like a jackhammer. Cry a little bit into your bowl of upgraded ramen as you contemplate the terrible life choices that have brought you to this juncture.

Be careful not to get the tears in the soup, it ups the salt content. :v:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Fagtastic posted:

Lunch.

Eggs Benedict over some local ham. Fresh brook trout fried with lemon, butter and dill. Ooh, soup and sandwiches - homemade soup with croque-monsieur.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thalamus posted:

Hi goons, quick question -

I lost power for the past 6 days, and I had some bacon in the fridge. I hadn't opened the vacuum seal yet, and we kept the door closed, plus it was fairly cold in the house because we lost heat (around 50 F). Could is still be okay, or should i not take the risk and just toss it?

It'll be fine. Your nose will be a good guide. When you open the package if it smells weird or has any strong ammonia or other sharp odors then chuck it. Otherwise what the hell were you thinking? Grab a propane torch, heat up your favorite cast iron pan and sit in the dark feasting on bacon strips! What kind of goon are you?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I made my first Bechamel sauce the other night. It was 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flour. Flour and butter were cooked together foor about a minute to make a pale roux. then the hot milk gets added in until it's all a big thick saucy kind of goop. A little salt went in according to the recipe I was following and there we go, Bechamel.

What is this supposed to taste like? It was thick and white and mostly tasted like bland flour. Is that correct? I seem to recall that this is a mother sauce so from here do I start adding things like cheeses or whatever to give the sauce a specific character?

In the end, I added some other stuff before putting it on my lasagna but it was a mystery why they wanted this bland stuff at all.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah it's pretty bland by itself. When I'm using it in bolognese, I add salt, white pepper and fresh nutmeg.
Heh, I ended up throwing in some more salt, black pepper and fresh-ground nutmeg along with some dried oregano. The recipe I had seemed to be lacking in the whole oregano department and I figured the Bechamel was a decent place to add that back in.

Thumposaurus posted:

If it tastes like flour still you didn't cook it long enough.
A classic way to flavor it is to take a chunk of onion and use a whole clove to attach a bay leaf to it and add that to the milk you use to make the sauce.

That sounds awesome. Next time I make a Bechamel I'll try this.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

However it's proven to be nigh impossible to find where I am (Vancouver Island, BC). Does anybody know if it's available in the region (I live in Nanaimo, a smallish city)? Also is it really worth tracking down?
I'll mail you a box of that if you send me all the Nanaimo bars in the city. All of them!

:3: I loves me some Nanaimo bars.

Edit: I think this is what I can get at local stores.

PS: *all* nanaimo bars, for my mouf

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 16, 2011

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I can make some and ship them out for that, sure. Never made them before (Yes I suck) but it seems simple enough (god I'll probably goof up in some horrid way)
I'll go double-check my local store to make sure I can satisfy your buttermilk powder needs.

In the meantime, I recommend upgrading your Nanaimo-bar cooking vessel to the next level:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

a handful of dust posted:

Are there any manufacturers that make smooth cast-iron cookware?
Griswold cast iron is smooth on the bottom. Or, as other folks have mentioned - take a grinder to your Lodge pan and smooth it right down. An orbital sander with metal-appropriate paper should clean it up nicely.

Splizwarf posted:

Hey guys, I really want an ice wand for chilling wort (instead of a bogus huge wort chiller coil that I can't use for stuff like soup). I clearly have the wrong search terms because all I can turn up is dildos;
Ahahahah I know you found the product you were looking for eventually but this still cracks me up. Damnit internet, I am not actually searching for porn for once! Why won't you cooperate?

Gothmog1065 posted:

Can you goons help me? I'm terribly uncreative. My fiancee will be home in ~2 hours and I've got two chicken breasts thawing. I want to make her a nice dinner. I have a barely stocked kitchen, and I'd rather not go out, unless I have to. Here's what I have in the kitchen now:

Two chicken breasts
Thin Spaghetti

If you can add pepper corns and some parmesan and romano cheese to the equation, here's something worth trying.

Cacio e Pepe with chicken on top. Dredge the chicken in salt, pepper and flour and cook it separately. Then cook up http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/05/cacio-e-pepe and toss the chicken in at the end.

RazorBunny - that looks lovely.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thesoro posted:

A shot in the dark here, but I'm very confused about a feature of my apartment: next to the sink, fixed to the counter, is a ~1'x1' slab of granite. The manager called it a cutting board as he showed me the place, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Wouldn't granite be absolutely horrible for a knife? But what else would it be for?

A nice cold lump of rock that you can roll out dough on. Do not use your knives on it, it will gently caress them up.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

What can I do with ground meat that's different?

Ground meat sandwiches, pierogies, goulash, or disgusting american casseroles in an almost infinite variety of sodium soup and frozen veggies.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

Also, how do you make goulash? My parents are terrible cooks and when I was a kid my mom made "goulash" by basically cooking macaroni noodles in spaghetti sauce. Now I realize that is not goulash.
After a quick glance at a bunch of ground beef goulash recipes online, they look like homemade Hamburger Helper. They don't much resemble the stuff you find in Europe.

Edit: Bartolimu gave some excellent info on traditional Goulash, so I've gone and updated the title here. This is more like beef stroganoff using ground beef instead of chunks.

Not Even Remotely Goulash
Ingredients:
2 russet potatoes
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb white mushrooms
2 medium yellow onions
1 stalk celery
1 green bell pepper
Heavy cream, flour, sour cream, butter
Salt, pepper, paprika, thyme

Roughly chop the onion and bell pepper and set aside. Split the celery in half and dice. Quarter the mushrooms. Pre-cook the potatoes and chop into chunks when cool.

Heat up some butter in a bigass cast iron pan over medium heat and add the ground beef, onions, peppers and celery. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme and a ton of paprika. When everything is cooked through and the meat is browned, remove this mixture from the pan and put onto a hot, covered plate. Storing it in the oven temporarily is a good idea. Don't drain the grease.

Add some more butter to the pan and throw in the potatoes and mushrooms. Cook till golden. Remove the potato and mushroom mixture and set aside.

Lower the heat. Sprinkle some flour into the remaining hot grease. It should sizzle up and then turn a bit gummy. Grab your fork (or favorite whisk) and add a little cream. Stir rapidly until the cream is combined. Add a little more cream and whisk until combined. You're building a gravy here and want it to remain thick, but fluid. When you have a goodly bit of gravy at the bottom of the pan, throw in a couple dollops of sour cream and stir to combine. As this heats up, add the potatoes and veggies and stir everything around until coated. You may need to add a bit of salt and pepper to the gravy as you cook it.

It should be a horrific pinkish gravyish mixture of meat and potatoes and lovely mushrooms and oh dear god shove it straight into your mouth.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 10, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

Awwww yeah, totally making that, thanks! :) I've got everything on hand minus the mushrooms and celery.

Serve it over rice/pasta?

It's already got some starchiness from the potatoes but adding some egg noodles would make it more like beef stroganoff and that's not a bad thing at all. Super ultra dense mega-hearty stroganoff. The stroganoff of our ancestors! The meal that conquered a land and fueled an army!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Goulash School

Thanks for the info. I've updated the post.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 10, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

kiteless posted:

I did read it, I just had to huff into a paper bag for a while afterwards and take a walk around the block. Thanks for doing the sperging for me.
:saddowns: I no speak good cook talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

FatmanSA posted:

Then please don't call it Steak Sauce, because that conjures images of meaty goodness, not vinegary crapness.

Though the HP sauce = Steak Sauce makes perfect sense. Since no-one likes either.

:argh: YOU MONSTER!

HP sauce is glorious stuff and goes well with a ton of meat dishes. I wouldn't slather it over a properly cooked steak but sometimes you are at a friend's place and only HP can help you gag down the shoe leather they serve.