Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

OK, I just ordered a pound of vanilla beans. Coming up, I'm making vanilla extract, vanilla ice cream, vanilla sugar, and brewing a vanilla porter. So that should use up about 1/10 of the beans in a pound. What else should I do?

CzarChasm posted:

In addition to Casu Marzu's list: Vanilla Sugar

'Sup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

I was gonna be polite and not say anything.

I just got an email from the vanilla bean people saying that they're throwing in a quarter pound of tahitian vanilla beans for free, so I will be very rich in vanilla next week. In the spirit of the new GWS, I'll try to document what I make and throw up a thread.

Tahitian beans are good for savory dishes. They tend to have more floral notes. Poach lobster tails in butter with a tahitian bean and thank me later.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Strained and in the fridge. It will keep the longest this way.

vvvv Wisdom

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 24, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't hurt to keep it on an opaque container, either. Light, heat and oxygen all contribute to rancidity.

That said, bacon fat keeps a long time anyway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

My usual trick is to soak overnight in a concentrated solution of dish washer detergent, but that did nothing. Anything other then a wire wheel I could try?

We had a pot that my wife was reducing maple syrup in that turned into carbon. I think we soaked it for 3 or 4 days. Each day, I would try to remove a little bit. By the 4th day it all came off in huge chunks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tempered or not, if you refrigerate your chocolates then take them out into humid air, they will get condensation on them. Tempering isn't some magic bullet that will change physics.

Properly tempered chocolate won't need to be refrigerated to be firm, however.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Why would you salt the ice? That will speed up the melting process. I get that it will get colder quicker, but it will be cold for a shorter amount of time. Won't it? Am I being stupid?

Salt doesn't heat it up, it just lowers the melting point of the water. The water then makes better contact with the vessel, keeping it cold better. How long it stays cold will be a function of the insulation.

Aren't you the science guy?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So are you guys saying it takes more energy to raise 1 gram of ice 1 degree than it does to raise one gram of liquid water one degree?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pr0k posted:

Take him to Detroit.

For those who need help with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09GtnWdBjc

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This would be a good post for a chat thread, but, here we are:monocle::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wafflesnsegways posted:

You can also do it in a bowl with a cake mixer. I always add a little bit of oil at at time, because that's how I learned to do it. Not sure how much that matters.

That's why this method is so awesome. You typically need to do it slowly in order to get the emulsion going. They are saying that because of the way the stick blender slowly pulls the oil down, you get don't need to do it like that. I think a regular blender would would mix it all up too quickly and just give you an oily mess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Nah, restaurants make it in a vita-mix by just putting the water phase in, cranking it, and then dumping the oil in relatively quickly.

Well I've had it fail in a regular blender before, so it's not necessarily that simple for the average home cook.

edit: pr0k's mom

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Al2001 posted:

If I leave oil in a pan or baking tray overnight, can I fry/roast something in that same oil the next day? Or is that terrible hygiene and I will die or something?

e: clarification: I have already used the oil in the pan once, I want to use it again.

Just cover it to keep dust and stuff out. And optionally strain it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here ever buy meats from an Asian market? I normally stick to sauces and dry goods there, but mine tends to stock things like pork belly that can be otherwise difficult to find. Should I be nervous about the freshness/quality of the meats they sell?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Is that because you're a racist? Otherwise, I can't see why you'd think that with no evidence for your belief.

I worry about the quality for a variety of reasons. First, Asian markets always smell weird to me, like some food that has gone off. Then there's the fact the meat case is almost always 3/4 empty. I rarely see people buying meat. No one in the store speaks enough english for me to ask where the meat comes from, or how fresh it is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

Huh.
I've gotten burned the two times I tried to buy fish at Whole Foods (whole yellowtail snapper, and salmon I think) - the dude behind the counter wouldn't let me smell it or inspect it closely, and lo and behold, when I get it home it smells fishy as gently caress and is clearly past it's prime.
I also bought a bunch of chicken thighs there that I recall smelled/looked fine, but they turned the next day.
I don't buy meat or fish there anymore.

Yeah if they won't let you look at it or smell it, don't buy from there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

How do I make caramels (rather than caramel sauce)?

I've so far made two attempts at caramels. The first attempt was silly, I didn't even own a candy thermometer. I ended up with extremely tasty caramel sauce that we just put on brownies.

The second attempt, last night, I tried again, this time with a candy thermometer and following instructions on a recipe very closely, with one exception: I have no desire to use corn syrup, so I substituted molasses. I cook it up to 330F, pull it off the heat, add the cream and butter mixture, then heat it up to 255F, pull it off the heat, stir in some more butter, and then let it cool, exactly how the instructions say. But several hours later, it can still "flow."

I found one website saying that they then heat it a third time up to 260F after adding the last bit of butter, and I figure I'll try that, but instead of ending up with yet another batch of caramel sauce, I figured I'd ask here:

How in the world do I make caramels that I can cut up into little cubes? Do I need to use different temperatures since I'm using molasses? Should I switch to brown rice syrup?

Help me GWS!

(I should note I'm making spiced caramels, not plain--I don't know if that has an effect?)

The corn syrup is there to impede crystallization. There is no reason to leave it out.

I like the Better Homes and Gardens shortcut caramel recipe. Just make sure you cook it to the temp it says

ingredients
1 cup butter
1 16-ounce package (2-1/4 cups packed) brown sugar
1 14-ounce can (1-1/4 cups) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup light-colored corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

directions
1. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter the foil; set pan aside.
2. In a heavy 3-quart saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and light corn syrup; mix well. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248 degree F, firm-ball state. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching firm-ball stage should take 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Immediately stir in vanilla. Quickly pour the caramel mixture into prepared baking pan. When caramel is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Use a buttered knife to cut candy into 1-inch squares. Wrap each piece in clear plastic wrap. Makes 81 pieces or about 2-3/4 pounds.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

My local Vietnamese restaurant (Vietnam Grille in Charlotte) is notorious for using the absolute freshest ingredients and using traditional methods for their recipes to much acclaim. I am addicted to their pho, but when I putting my day's menu into the myfitnesspal app I use, all the examples of pho listed have huge huge huge amounts of sodium. That's understandable if it's a commercially prepared pho, but I know this place makes its broth just like one would make a stock (much like a can of chicken broth in the supermarket vs. homemade stock). Does traditionally-made pho broth contain a lot of sodium?

Well generally when making homemade stock you don't add salt because you are going to season the dish you use it in. And sadly, a lot of the best tasting food you eat, even at restaurants, uses a lot of salt.

I've never even seen commercially prepared pho, though I don't doubt it exists. If I had to guess, I would say my regular place uses a lot of salt. But if it is used right, the dish doesn't taste salty, just flavorful.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Not Very Metal posted:

Grilled asparagus finished with a touch of lemon juice or some balsamic is loving amazing.

Yeah I roast them with a little olive oil and s&p. finish with a squeeze of lemon. If you roast them just until you get some crispiness on the outside they are wonderful. I grew up being fed steamed asparagus and I hated it, but roasted or grilled is totally different.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I stir fry, I generally use peanut oil and then add a dash of sesame at the end for flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pulled beef? I don't think that will work out quite like you want. You could use a pot roast suitable cut, but I don't think beef has the collagen that makes pork so lip smacking good.Your best bet is to tell your roommate to gently caress off and use pork butt.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I decided to just buy the the pork shoulder, she can deal.

I also bought a whole chicken to make pan-fried chicken tomorrow, and I'm trying to make stock, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Will it mess up the whole thing if I didn't get all the meat off the carcass? This is the first time I've ever butchered a chicken and I don't think I did too great a job.

Meat on the carcass will give the stock flavor. Bones are primarily for texture (collagen). You want there to be some meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

yes posted:

Goddamn, cast iron is the dry denim of this forum. Just use it. Maybe you need a little more oil the first few times. Big deal!

Where you been all my life, yes?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Macaroni posted:

How do I make The Best Sauteed Mushrooms? Currently I just cook on high heat with salt, pepper, and garlic, and it's mighty good. But what would take it over the top?

Also, any takers on my mayo question?

I've never put put sugar in mayo. I have found that adding salt at the beginning with the lemon juice does something and the egg yolk kind of seizes and poo poo just doesn't work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, so my oven seems to leak a lot of heat through the top. I looked inside the oven and noticed there's a square hole in the roof of the inside of the oven, venting all this heat out. Is this normal?

Ovens generally vent heat/moisture out the top. Sometimes it is vented more or less directly on the back burners of the range.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks. This can't be for all ovens though, can it? I think some of my friends have ovens that emit barely any heat

I think they all have them. A lot of electric ranges vent through a hole in the center of one of the back burners. Some vent through the bottom of the rear console, if it has one.

I mean how big of a hole are we talking about here?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pester posted:

I have a couple of new york strip steaks that I'm about to pan sear. Do I trim the fat before cooking them, after, or not at all?

Just leave it on and eat around it. Or be one of those terrible people that eats it too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theDoubleH posted:

I've got a problem. I'm trying to get better at cooking, including my weeknight go-to: stir-fries. After doing some reading, I've changed my style a bit, the biggest change being upping the heat quite substantially (and lowering the frying times as a result). The problem is that, while the food usually turns out pretty good, I always fill our apartment up with smoke. It's got to the point where I have to open all the doors and windows and remove the smoke detector. With winter approaching, this won't be doable for much longer. In fact, my girlfriend is on the edge of banning stir fries all together.

I use a fairly thick cast iron pan (don't have a wok), and usually grapeseed oil. Also the same thing happens whenever I pan sear meat. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong or is it normal? Is there anything that should be done differently?

Proper stir frying will make a lot of smoke. It's best done outside if you don't have a range hood that can vent the smoke quickly enough. One of those turkey fryer burners will work well, or you can get a specialty wok burner which will put even more heat. If you're stuck doing it inside, either cook at a lower temp or get used to the smoke.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Serendipitaet posted:

Got a nice chicken to roast (and two bags of chicken bones to make stock, booya!), but I forgot to get butcher's twine to truss the chicken.

I got a roll of clean "household" cotton twine, but I'm afraid it might not stand up to the temperature and burn. Would soaking it in water for a while help?

I wouldn't bother. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as butcher's twine. The part against the chicken should be fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Slice soft (or hard) boiled egg.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Don't take chances with dodgy eggs. And dodgy eggs come from most supermarkets.

The salmopnella risk with even supermarket eggs is exceedingly small.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brown, then slow cook. Then brown again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With sous vide, the rule is brown prior for flavor, after for texture. As long as you're searing at high heat, it shouldn't be on the heat for more than 30 seconds and won't overcook the meat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Very Strange Things posted:

It almost sounds like you're saying do both.

Yep. I always do both when I sous vide short ribs.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And I think on those you're supposed to wait like 15 minutes after it shuts before opening it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxford Comma posted:

There's lots of good roasting recipes, but make sure you brine it before you roast it.

Brining is overrated. Just don't overcook it, and you'll be fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Abobo posted:

Hmmm, no actually. I've just been shaping the dough into a log, putting the raggedy seam side (if there is one) down, and pressing it into the loaf pan. I assumed the second rise would get rid of any pockets or inconsistencies if they were on the bottom of the loaf. I guess I was wrong, huh?

Also there is tearing, which is normally caused by not doing a long enough second proof and consequently the oven spring is too much and tears the loaf.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nope, a wire wheel on a drill will work well too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

I made my first Bechamel sauce the other night. It was 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flour. Flour and butter were cooked together foor about a minute to make a pale roux. then the hot milk gets added in until it's all a big thick saucy kind of goop. A little salt went in according to the recipe I was following and there we go, Bechamel.

What is this supposed to taste like? It was thick and white and mostly tasted like bland flour. Is that correct? I seem to recall that this is a mother sauce so from here do I start adding things like cheeses or whatever to give the sauce a specific character?

In the end, I added some other stuff before putting it on my lasagna but it was a mystery why they wanted this bland stuff at all.

Yeah it's pretty bland by itself. When I'm using it in bolognese, I add salt, white pepper and fresh nutmeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Birdie posted:

I accidentally boiled the milk instead of scalding it for a cinnamon roll recipe. Can I still use it or do I need to start over? Thanks! :)

It will be fine. Just make sure it's cool enough when you add it that you don't kill your yeast.