Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
So I got sent home sick from work today - but at least I had my CSA pick up to look forward too! But sadly it was all lettuce and cabbage and that is just not what I want right now.

SO I am scrounging around the kitchen trying to figure out what I can make as comfort food for this stupid cold. I think I can make tomato soup. I have never made tomato soup before and a google search is confusing me with too many methods.

Here's what I've got:
2 cans san marzano tomatos, 4 small roma tomatos
lots of garlic
lots of onion
lots of oil
veggie stock
a little fresh basil
various dried herbs and spices
bread?
a... potato?
flour...?
no dairy to be found

Can I make a passable tomato soup with any of that? how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately out of carrots, but I DO have a stick blender (probably my favorite kitchen purchase ever) and lots of chili. It is simmering on the stove as we speak and I swear just the smell is doing wonders for me!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Hello I understand that you are trying to give babby's first cooking advice but salsa chicken is an abomination.

It's funny, salsa chicken was the maligned first post in the crock-pot thread too.

I know it isn't food - but in the fall I love coming home to an apartment that smells like a crock-pot full of hot mulled cider. I always put in oranges stuck with cloves, cinnamon sticks, a little red wine, and whatever other spices strike my fancy at the moment.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I've had success freezing habaneros and then slowly adding them to my squash soups all winter long.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
As someone who only recently started getting into green vegetables, I found that lightly cooking them was pretty key. It turned out what I hated was over-steamed, over-cooked, or over-boiled veggies. I usually lightly steam or sautee until the color is bright and happy. You can never go wrong with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Speaking of spices, I tried to make the pumpkin dal recipe posted earlier in this thread and I feel like I failed somehow. The texture came out just right, but the spice/flavor was just, ugh. It was slightly bitter and tasted very chalky to me. I felt like it was missing warm comfort food taste I associate with dal. If there's a next time, maybe I should cut back on the tumeric and cardamom? Is there anything I can add to it to give it that missing umph?

The other two people I fed it to seemed to like it though, so maybe I was just being little miss sensitive palette or something.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Smelly house-guests left container of almond milk on the counter for 10 hours. Fiance says its fine because it doesn't spoil like milk does. I say its still probably a petri-dish full of terrible things. How stupid is this disagreement?

edit: the handle of the knife is more rubbery than plasticky in my opinion, if that makes any difference to you.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
So the veggies I have in my house today are celeriac, turnips, and spinach. I need to make dinner for myself and my vegan boyfriend. The only thing I can think of to make is soup - but for some reason that idea makes me sad. Any suggestion on how I can liven up this winter veggies meal?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
What is the first thing I should do with my new mortar and pestle? I already have (I'll admit it) dry powder versions of most of the spices I use regularly. Is there something cool with herbs or something I can do? It seemed like a cool purchase at the time that I could use for everything, and now I'm at a loss.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
How that didn't occur to me, I have no idea. Excited to do it!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
In place of tomato, put mango in your guac. It's a special treat.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
What to I do with all this thyme! There's so much!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I got some fresh picked morels for FREE! The basket had been super picked over, with all the ones of size already gone, and there were just a couple handful of tiny ones left in the basket. When I went to check out, the grocer told me that she was glad I appreciated how special they were, even if it was just the last ones, and that I could have them for free since she needed to clear out that area anyway.

But I've never cooked them before! I think you are supposed to cut them in half to rise the dirt out of them? Whats the best, simplest single person dish I can make with these two small handfuls? I was thinking of sauteeing them with garlic, and serving them on with caramelized onions on top of some pasta and olive oil. Does that seem reasonable? Should I add some basil or rosemary or pepper or something? Is there something else I should do? I want to make sure I really want to appreciate them....

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Knockknees posted:

I got some fresh picked morels for FREE! The basket had been super picked over, with all the ones of size already gone, and there were just a couple handful of tiny ones left in the basket. When I went to check out, the grocer told me that she was glad I appreciated how special they were, even if it was just the last ones, and that I could have them for free since she needed to clear out that area anyway.

But I've never cooked them before! I think you are supposed to cut them in half to rise the dirt out of them? Whats the best, simplest single person dish I can make with these two small handfuls? I was thinking of sauteeing them with garlic, and serving them on with caramelized onions on top of some pasta and olive oil. Does that seem reasonable? Should I add some basil or rosemary or pepper or something? Is there something else I should do? I want to make sure I really want to appreciate them....

I went with my gut and stopped worrying and just cooked and it was incredible!

I did them up with a little onion, garlic, chopped spinach, fresh thyme, and a tiny bit of chevre on angel hair

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
How do I use truffle oil?

I have mushrooms, goat cheese, asparagus and chard in the house and I was thinking it could be thrown together in a pasta dish nicely. I thought I could finally use this truffle oil I have had sitting around, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it... A few drops or a teaspoon? Add when sautéeing the mushrooms, or toss with the pasta at the end? Or...?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Drifter posted:

The flavors are too delicate to cook with. Use it at the end. Drizzle it, like no more than a teaspoon per two or three servings.

Great, thanks!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Is there a good resource for learning the dos and donts of a flat top stove? Can I still use my two-burner griddle?

Also, the new kitchen in the place I moved into conspicuously lacks drawers. Where the hell am I going to put my silverware... not to mention my other small kitchen tools? There's a lot of cabinets, but very limited counter space. Any silverware storage suggestions?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I need to start marinating some Japanese eggplant ASAP but I just realized that I'm all out of balsamic vinegar that I usually use in the marinade. I have apple cider and rice vinegars and lemon juice and olive sesame truffle and coconut oils plus a bunch of spices, but I'm not sure what to combine for the eggplant. It will ultimately be grilled to go in sandwiches with chard and leeks.

Suggestions?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I need help with mushrooms. Every time I try to prepare them, they come out disappointing.

Today my goal is to prepare mushrooms as a filling for vegan Banh Xeo (Vietnamese crepes). I have pre-sliced baby bellas (because I hate cleaning and slicing mushrooms).

Any thoughts/advice on how to approach?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Thanks for the mushroom advice, all. My mushrooms came out good for the first time ever. On the other hand my banh Xeo were a disaster as the first one immediately stuck all over the bottom of the pan, ruining my ability and confidence to quickly make the rest. Fortunately I had French bread on standby and was able to rework all the fillings into banh mi instead. The mangled crepe scrapings tasted good at least.

I still have the batter for the crepes — maybe I’ll try more oil? Everything I’ve read said it should be high heat so I don’t think being too got was the problem....

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I usually do just fine with regular crepes, but these coconut/rice flour ones seem like cement mix. I've been using this batter recipe: http://www.cilantroandcitronella.com/vegan-banh-xeo/

(This is one of those dishes that happens to be vegan normally)

I'm actually experimenting with how to handle the rest of the batter right now, since the dinner time pressure is off.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I just had one of those so-simple-but-so good moments that I had to share:

Apple butter + runny egg + habanero hot sauce really made my day today.

Apple butter was slathered on toast, fried egg on top, hot sauce on that. When that sweet-savory-spicy combo melded together on my fork I was in heaven.

Ok there was some spinach in there wilted between the hot toast and hot egg but it just added a little texture and didn't compete with all that delicious gooey flavor.

Ok now you can go back to tomato chat.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
She's probably been looking forward to the steak, dude. If you must do salmon make it a bonus, not a replacement.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

raw kale can inhibit the uptake of iodine so be careful!

Unless you are juicing the kale or having a concentrated kale smoothie daily or already have a major thyroid condition, or subsisting only on kale, this is not a concern. There is no evidence to suggest that a serving of kale does any harm, and its healthy fiber and nutrient benefits outweigh the risks at normal consumption levels.

https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hypothyroidism/news-update-can-kale-cause-hypothyroidism

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Anything you can do in a panini press or a George Forman you can do on a waffle iron. I use it for sandwiches, toast, grilled veggies, etc. my next idea is felafel.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I had a gig this spring at a commercial kitchen that made custom syrups and concentrates for local bars and cafes. It was fun!

I got pretty into the chai concentrate they made and I want to adapt the recipe for home production (ie one gallon instead of many many gallons). I have a question about one step.

The recipe called for toasting the dry spices before adding anything else: cinnamon, star anise, black pepper, and cardamom. These were whole spices that were roughly buzzed in a processor (except for the cinnamon). My question, do all of these spices really benefit from toasting? I've never heard of toasting cinnamon or black pepper.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Yes, toasting cinnamon and black pepper changes the flavor. I would toast them completely whole instead of breaking them first, though - less chance of burning that way. Cinnamon burns quickly, so I might bake it in the oven for a bit instead, or microwave the spices. Usually when I'm making a batch of chai masala, I spread all of the spices on a sheet pan and toast them in the oven, shaking the tray every 5 or 10 minutes.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to try my hand at it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Need to incorporate ramps into a vegetarian dinner tonight, but want to let them shine / show off. Should I just kinda grill them? Lemon juice? Any other ideas or preparation tips?

If it helps, the other produce I have hanging around are fennel root, jalapeño, kale, tomato, lemon, sweet potato, onion, garlic.