Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
pumpkin soup, warm or cold with coconut milk and ginger is also good, just make it thinner if youre going to serve it cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
peppers do cross pollinate easier than just about any other species of fruit though so it is usually a good idea to taste one of each batch or even each pepper, especially if you got them from a small independent grower and not from a factory farm that planted acres of the same pepper. Sometimes you find one that looks like a padron and tastes like a serrano :supaburn:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
green bells have a kind of plastic-y tinge to them for me but I cant tell a taste difference between red yellow or orange bells

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
whole spices + dry pan+ heat = delicious toasted spices, grind them for way better than jarred preground. coriander goes in lots of stuff, and I often find it delicious in things it is not a traditional ingredient in!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Barnum posted:

Butter poached white asparagus suspended in a calves liver pate. Good idea?

make a sheet of brandy-cherry gelee and sandwich the pate around it

Humboldt squid posted:

Under what circumstances (flavor, texture etc wise) would I use shallots instead of onions?

older post but you only got one response: shallots in general are sweeter and milder than most varieties of onion. I agree with the other response as seeing them kind of more as just another type of onion than a whole different thing. They are good in places where you want a raw red onion without quite the intensity of a raw red onion, and I also use them a lot finely minced into dressings. I also like to grind up the scraps and cook them forever and make caramelezed shallot and ______ jam where blank is whatever else is gonna get thrown away like orange peels or apple scraps

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

yes posted:

Water wasn't hot enough. Think about how much a cold egg from the fridge will lower the temperature of the water.

this, and it's true for any procedure where you're cooking batches of something in a hot liquid: blanching vegetables, frying in oil etc. you need to wait long enough for the liquid to return to temperature in between batches

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Rockzilla posted:

I bought some dried hibiscus the other day without knowing what to do with it. I made a hibiscus-lime soda that turned out pretty good. I might try another batch, adding ginger and sichuan pepper to the mix but I've still got a bunch of hibiscus sitting around. Any suggestions on what else to do with it?

I put it with other spices in pear poaching liquid. Poach a whole peeled pear in it and then slice it- really pretty!

casual poster posted:

So, just tried to use a crock pot for the first time. Turns out I plugged it in to a dead socket for the past 3 hours. I had raw pork ribs and beef broth in it. It had a lid on though. Is the food any good?

obviously this is much later but I would have thrown it into a pot on the stove high until it reached a rolling boil for a few minutes, and then returned everything to the crock pot which had been plugged in and heating while the other stuff boiled. this would affect the temperature texture negatively, but get the surface of the meat to a bacteria killing temperature as swiftly as possible.

I am somewhat lax about "proper food handling rules" when I am cooking at home for myself though and those rules would in fact recommend tossing that food out because it is unlikely it would heat up to a proper temperature quickly enough to have spent less than four hours above 40F and under 140F.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 25, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
more oil, also make sure that the oil is hot before you add the tofu so that it will fry and set quickly. also make sure that your tofu is free of excess moisture before frying.

its not really a traditional shape but if you slice a brick of tofu long ways into like flat filets it is easy to get a good and consistent browning, then flip and do the same to the other side, like an eggplant or fish or something.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 26, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
just bring a cast iron and fry them in butter on onions over the bbq
like this but ghetto:

sliders aren't grilled

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 29, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Jive One posted:

How well would hot sauce work as a salad dressing, say on a typical garden salad?

I do a sriracha vinaigrette with sriracha, extra virgin olive oil, seasoned rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame seeds, honey, minced shallot and chopped cilantro, it's pretty good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I made my first reduction last night, and the recipe called for minced shallots. I ended up using a garlic crusher, but the results were pretty messy. Is there an easy way to mince them by hand, or should I just try and use a blender or something?

mincing is chopping them very small with a knife. do the same steps you would to chop an onion only smaller, and then run your knife back your your pile of chopped shallots until they are minced shallots

putting them in a blender and making a paste might work for your sauce as long as you are very careful not to burn them when you saute them but its not the same as mincing

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm looking for some simple cheese snack/hors d'oeuvres type recipes. Something a bit fancier than cheese and crackers, not but not a full meal. Anything that incorporates roasted peppers or sun dried tomatos would be great.

what kind of cheese? and is this for a pre-meal appetizer or just a walk around and munch on things type situation?

herbed shortbread cookies pair really nicely with creamy (or creamy blue) cheeses, then you can stick a third component into the cheese and it wont fall off.

the other night for a passed appetizers event we did orange zest shortbread with smoked blue cheese whipped with enough cream to pipe out of a bag, then stuck into the cheese was a quarter of a roasted fig and a walnut candied with clove and cayenne, and then I drizzled red wine reduction everywhere because the squeezebottle was right there

at the same event we also learned that grilled shrimp skewers are not a great passed app if the guests are carrying wineglasses and don't have plates and the shrimp have tails on them

the best way to make small bites is to think of a food you like and then find a way to make one of the components into a crispy bowl or flat thing

Dolmas are pretty awesome as well and can be made 100% ahead of time

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 13, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think personally I would rather have a roasted chicken basted with bacon drippings than one wrapped in bacon. remember that you get crispy bacon, but then you dont get crispy chicken skin. I've done it a couple times with chicken just messing around but the self-bacon baste is pretty useful on huge poo poo like trying to roast a turkey without drying it out. also you don't need to tie it, the bacon will stick to the chicken well enough raw and as it cooks it shrinks down and sticks even better.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

BagelMaster posted:

If my bread dough is too wet and sticky when I make it in bulk, can I just incorporate more flour before I bake it when I separate a ball from the bulk dough?

yes BUT: if your dough is different but the recipe is not then you probably need to knead it more, especially if you are making a larger than normal batch

ALSO: if you add flour you have to knead the dough again or it will taste like raw flour

youre not getting out of kneading that dough

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kenning posted:

I'm pondering making some sort of very dense pomegranate jelly with some arils intact and then...puff pastry? I dunno.

orange and thyme shortbread thumbprint cookies with the pom jam in them? maybe get a nut in there somewhere too, either a candied nut all chopped up on top of the jam or maybe toasted nuts in the shortbread?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
at 1.5 million scoville you probably arent going to be eating chunks of it so puree it with with a bunch of vinegar and add a drop at a time to your regular salsa?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
this is one of my favorite things:
slice sprouts in half lengthwise so the foot holds it together, and put facedown one layer in a hot oiled pan until they start to char, deglaze with red wine and saute until the wine is reduced and the sprouts are al dente (you can cover to steam a little or add more wine if it looks like they wont be done) mount sauce with butter if desired and finish with a finely grated hard salty cheese.

variations: use duck fat, or add in sliced apples and/or duck confit, or sub balsamic for the wine

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
bleach solution is for things that can't go into the sanitizer like countertops, and for in-between prep tasks when you don't have to the time to set up a fresh station, you wipe everything down with bleach, usually flip your cutting board too, and move on. It's not for all-the-time cleaning

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I'd eat them.

Why marinade frozen steaks, though? I'd have thought that would be a waste of time.

Edit: Specifically because they were frozen, not because I'm some sort of marinade-hater.

I think he was trying to defrost and marinate simultaneously, although that is a bad idea because meat releases juice as it thaws and washes the marinade off of itself and makes it all watery

also marinades are dumb and dont do anything seasoning at cooking does better

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

you ate my cat posted:

Help me buy food, please. Is there a rule of thumb for people to potatoes for mashed potatoes? How about people to amount of meat for something like a rib roast? I can wing portioning for everything else, but I'm cooking for 9 this weekend and I'd rather not end up with way too many potatoes or way too little roast.

It kinda depends on your potatoes but I would say maybe 5 potatoes for every 4 people? I'd definitely say to err on the side of too many potatoes, most people love them, and leftovers reheat well as mashed potatoes or can be fried into pancakes. So I'd mash 10-12 potatoes for 9 people, depending on the size of the people and the potatoes.

Expect your roast to lose 10-15% of its weight while cooking, people will probably eat 4-6oz of meat if you're doing a lot of sides, especially if there is another meat as well. a good rule of thumb is probably 1 rib of roast for each 2-3 people. So maybe a 4-5 rib roast?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

varjoankka posted:

I think I'll go with this one, with the expection of leek, I hate leek, everybody should hate leek.

leeks are amazing you have bad opinions

also I have done pizza with caramelized onion, crumbled chorizo, havarti cheese and then crack some eggs right onto it and throw it in the oven. Eggs should come out sunny side up, you can throw some arugula or spinach or something on top after if you want for some greenery. I would definitely stay away from blue cheese + chorizo that sounds bizarro to me

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 2, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Cowcatcher posted:

How do you crumble chorizo? What kind of chorizo are you getting over there?
Your cheeseless pizza sounds bizzaro to me, you gotta at least put some sliced bocconcini on there

pile of brown posted:

havarti cheese

some charred broccoli sounds awesome on there. honestly though the cheese was only even on there for the "MUST HAVE CHEESE ON PIZZA" effect, all the egg yolk all over everything made it plenty rich and moist

edit: just noticed that doesnt say broccolini, i'm tired.

40 cloves sides: chicken and garlic sounds like its begging for some kind of potatoes to sit on and drip garlicky juice into. other than that I'd want something pretty fresh and vegetable-y, light and green but still goes well with garlic, raw or lightly steamed veggies with a light, acidic dressing, like green beans with a squeeze of lemon or an arugula and radish salad with a light vinaigrette.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 3, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

kiteless posted:

I like this, maybe I need to deconstruct the onion tart a bit. I was also thinking of some glazed cippolini onions, but I don't know how to serve that as an appetizer (but maybe I'm overthinking it and just need to serve em with some bread and cheese).

=====[cheese]{fig}(onion)==>

on a skewer sitting in a shallow dish of glaze?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'd do ginger, cinnamon and a very little clove, with an optional side of nutmeg (or mace if you are weird like me and have mace but not nutmeg in your house) or allspice.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks. How much should I add for two gallons? Also, I assume whole spices (say, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice berries, etc.) rather than powdered are preferable?

for two gallons I would do 3-4 sticks cinnamon, and then a thumb of ginger sliced into four or five pieces.

I'd do whole spices but if all you have is ground you can let the cider cool and the spices will fall to the bottom, then carefully pour or ladle off all but the last little bit. It's mostly for texture/presentation and you'd never worry about it unless you've been the person who ended up with a tablespoon of sand in the bottom of their mulled cider.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm trying to do some christmasey baking, and I've hit a stumbling point. Trying to get an infusion of noble fir into a cream filling. So far I've cooked needles into simple syrup and I am also steeping more needles in vodka, but by the time I get either of those into the whipped cream, it gets lost in the creaminess and fattiness of the cream.

Should I scald the cream and steep some more needles in it, then strain and cool before whipping? The alcohol infusion is only about 8 hours old, will a few more days in the alcohol make it strong enough to use like a flavor extract? Any other ideas?

The final product I'm going for here is a ginger and mace creampuff with a barely-sweetened noble fir-infused cream filling.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 18, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

Does Demara sugar count as white or brown for recipes? It's just saying it's for baking...

it should have more flavor than white sugar but won't be as moist as what you usually buy as "brown sugar." you can probably substitute demerara = light brown sugar but I'd add a spoonful of molasses too if your recipe calls for dark brown sugar.

Camembert posted:

I baked cookies ...
the cookies will be as good as they taste: they aren't going to spoil in a dangerous way. wrap them tightly and leave them somewhere cool and dry (not the fridge, freezer is better than fridge), your biggest worry should be staling.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 24, 2011

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Don't the slits mean it loses more moisture?

Not if it's cut before it cooks. It's when you cut warm protein strands that they release/leak out their precious and delicious juices.

lamb: depends a bit on the other flavors involved, but I'd go with a fairly big red, more on the leather/smoke end of the spectrum than the fruit/berries end. I'm a whore for Zinfandel so I like it with just about everything though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
candied chilis are awesome! taste one by itself and see how spicy it is, chilis in general and jalapenos especially can vary in heat pretty dramatically, but depending on method of production each piece in your batch should be pretty similar in heat.

are they wet candied in syrup or dry with crystallized sugar on top? Either way they would be good added to leafy or grain-style salads, like tabbouleh.

I've also used them as garnish on duck tacos, garnish for both bacon and jalapeno creme brulees, vanilla ice cream...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
how much do you start/end with if you keep it at a rolling boil for 12 full hours? and how is not not burned all to poo poo?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
the salt is implied

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
don't toss your broken mayo! it can be fixed! whisk an egg yolk and slowly add the broken mayo into it, it should re-emulsify just fine.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Benjamin Black posted:

They're okay. Re-heating them though, blech, does not sound appetizing.

who eats hard-boiled eggs hot anyways? I've always eaten them cold, and eaten anything they're an ingredient in (egg salad, deviled eggs, sauce gribiche) cold too. Just peel and slice them with a little salt, maybe some hot sauce.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
it probably sells better

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Phummus posted:

Get oil really loving hot in non-stick pan

you shouldn't really need a nonstick for searing, or get a nonstick to searing temperatures, unless by nonstick you mean cast iron. i just use a random small aluminum saute pan. you can get a nice brown crust on a sauteed scallop at a lower temp in a nonstick pan though

i will say though that about 2% of the time scallops seem to not want to sear properly and spew weird juice the burns to the bottom of the pan, but i don't know if it is the scallop's fault or if i am bad at cooking them 2% of the time, but i cook a lot of scallops and it's not like it's happened just a couple times.

taqueso posted:

Mine has 4 pushbuttons instead of a knob, so it is really hard to maintain a temp that isn't one of the 4. Normal simmering is, of course, right in the middle of two settings.

i would literally vomit in anger if i had to cook on that

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 27, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

tarepanda posted:

I screwed up and bought a bunch of chicken breast instead of thigh meat for my tandoori chicken. I tried it and it's okay, but a bit dry and chewy.

What else can I do with all this chicken breast cheaply? I don't really have a lot of money or any staples.

cook it at higher heat for less time

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
add salt and spices? I'd consider cumin, coriander and mustard seeds, toasted and ground and added your mix with fine chopped and sweated garlic before you patty it up.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 22, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

EVG posted:

Yeah, I figured as such, but I only know how to cook from recipes, and don't have a good grasp of complementary spices yet. :) I'll give that a go.

I hesitate to post this because I am sure five people are about to post counterexamples and reasons why this is wrong thinking, but it helps me to think about other dishes when combining flavors. Grabbing a couple of any spices that all work in a curry blend will probably work in X other dish, and stuff like potatoes can take up pretty much any spice/flavor you want. Cribbing a seasoning blend from another dish is an easy way to find something that will "probably" work. In addition, the things you associate as being specific tto a certain cuisine will often work together in other dishes/cuisines as well. Ginger garlic and sesame and great in asian food, but they would also probably be great in your sweet potato patty as well.

additionally, don't forget to use your nose when cooking. Sniff your jars of spices and see which ones seem like they might go together. Your nose will be right more than it's wrong.

horseradish =/= radish, horseradish is a different root and as far as I know there are no radishes involved in horseradish sauce.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 22, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I picked up some asparagus this weekend and I want to make it to go with dinner tonight. The recipe I have is just simple olive oil, garlic, basil, S&P and lemon juice, roasted in the oven. Is this the best way to cook them? I just want to make sure. This is the first time I'm cooking them.

there are lots of good things to do with asparagus, but my favorites are roasting at high temp, or grilling it. I love any dark green veg with some char on it.

Asparagus goes really well with cured pork products, balsamic glaze, or a thick roasted garlic aioli

edit: for your method: consider blanching as mentioned above, if your asparagus are much thicker than a sharpie pen. Also idk what your recipe says to do but I would [blanch/not blanch] toss in oil and salt and roast, then after roasting toss the hot asparagus in a bowl with chopped basil and lemon juice and a little more olive oil and slivered garlic. Charred garlic can be pretty unpleasant.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Whats a good temp to cook scallops to? I am really bad at judging doneness by touch and I always end up over cooking them.

scallops are delicious raw/rare inside; sear at high heat until the outside has a dark golden brown crust, remove pan from heat and flip scallops over for a few seconds, plate.