Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jose posted:

Again for UK goons, can people help me with recipes for some thai food that isn't standard thai green/red chicken curry? Phad Thai etc. Stuff that is easy and fast to make would be perfect

Pad Thai is super easy. Here's a great guide: http://chezpim.com/cook/pad_thai_for_beginners

To sum it up: Sauce ingredients are vaguely equal parts (taste lots and adjust to suit you) fish sauce, tamarind (or lime juice) and palm sugar (or brown sugar). Add some dried chile powder for a little heat and depth. Combine and heat til ready to use.

Chop your protein of choice, scramble an egg or two, chop lots of scallions, crush peanuts. Cook protein in a wok, add onions, garlic, fry a minute, add eggs and scramble. Add cooked rice noodles and sauce, combine. Top with bean sprouts, chiles, lime juice, peanuts. That's the basic recipe, and super delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MrZodiac posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for Pho? I'd even settle for just the magical broth. I've tried some of the recipes I've found on google but they didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. I'm thinking about getting a part time gig at my local Pho place just to steal the recipe.

The thing with pho is that it's not very cost effective to make at home because of how cheap giant bowls of it are in restaurants. On top of it, it's just never quite as good as restaurants, no matter what you do. Sure, it's very tasty to make at home, but given those two factors I rarely make it myself. Of course, it you live 30 miles from your nearest Viet restaurant, then go for it. It's fun and tasty regardless.

Here's the recipe I've used: http://worthhersalt.com/archives/94
The spices in the broth are very important, use star anise, cinnamon and cloves for sure. Some recipes add others. Also key is to char the onions. Use plenty of beef soup bones, and simmer the stock all day. If it doesn't really taste right when you're almost ready to eat, try adding more fish sauce.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does anyone have a decent Swedish meatball recipe? So far I've only had the horrible junk food ones they serve at Ikea, and I want to try something more like the real thing.

Making them from scratch is so much better than the frozen ones they serve in the store. This is the recipe I use: http://worthhersalt.com/archives/217

The allspice is the key flavoring in the meatballs. Start with the 1/2 t called for, then once your meat is mixed, cook up a little bit of the meat to taste it. If it seems like it's missing something, try more allspice (and/or salt).

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

EVG posted:

I've just acquired a 10lb bag of limes. What should I do with this unexpected bounty?

Ceviche is the correct answer!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

heeebrew posted:

The pizza stone helps to keep the oven at a more constant temperature when you open /close the oven during baking.

The pizza stone also takes much, much longer to heat up than the air in the oven. I'm betting it is your culprit. The bottom is undercooked, because it's resting on a stone that's cooler than the air temperature in your oven. Take the stone out and give it another shot, or just be sure to preheat your oven for 30 minutes before putting things on it. (She should be doing this for pizza as well, stones take crazy long to heat, some recommend 60 minutes)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CI's brown butter recipe is my new go-to. They started with the Tollhouse recipe but made it better.

Makes 16 cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.
Ingredients

1 3/4cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 3/4 ounces)
1/2teaspoon baking soda
14tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4cups packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1teaspoon table salt
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.

3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.

4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)

5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Randomity posted:

What's the texture like on these? I usually like a really soft almost gooey chocolate chip cookie but lately I've been craving a more cake like thicker cookie. My mother in law gets that texture from the toll house recipe, but using margarine and creaming the butter and sugar by hand. I don't get the texture I want using real butter and but I am not really interested in using margarine.

I wouldn't call them cakey. They're much more of a classic chewy middle with a crisp ring around the outside. Here's a picture of mine:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ashgromnies posted:

That's a bit more work compared to to the Joy of Cooking cookies which are my go-to... I'll give it a shot, though.

It's actually not a of work at all, just a lot of words. That's what CI's known for, really. All it is is brown the butter, cream with sugars and eggs (some waiting time in between, but that's a good time to get your pans ready and clean the kitchen), mix in dry ingredients. That's really all it is.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chemmy posted:

I own the OXO and the Benriner. Get the Benriner.

I've never used a Benriner, but I don't like my OXO at all. The cheap guillotine-style Pampered Chef thing I had before it was sharper and the whole thing is flimsy.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SuperGinger! posted:

You've never had cheesy potato casserole? It's delicious and somewhat of a staple here in Wisconsin.

EDIT: I think I'm just going to go with this recipe instead and just make ahead and reheat

:shepicide:

(Also coming from a Wisconsinite who's had to eat that greasy, globby slop too many times)

I understand nostaliga...But next time, try a gratin.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Noni posted:

I need a few weeks' worth of soup recipes. Nothing chunky, though, it's got to be smooth flowing for the first several days.

I guess I should explain: this is a post-surgery diet for a friend who will be staying in my house during recovery.

Anyway, we need some ideas ranging from purees up to noodle soups. Even then, chicken meat would be too rough a texture for a few weeks.

I found two threads while searching (Fall squash, chicken noodle), but need more ideas. The post-surgery plan calls for 5+ meals, an excess of calories, and nothing that is known to cause heartburn or any chance of acid reflux. Don't worry, though, a dietician will be screening our menu and thus preventing me from the idea of pureeing pulled pork sandwiches and twelve different bacon dishes.

I can make a few decent congee porridges, so if anyone has any congee variations or family recipes, that would be cool as well.

Yeah. That many liquid meals has got my imagination sapped.

People usually forget about avgolemono, but it's one of my favorite soups. Only solids are rice, and you can just leave that out for something totally smooth, or overcook it when they're allowed soft solids again. Plus it's really filling for something so simple, and it's full of protein from the eggs. This is the recipe I use (feel free to make your own chicken stock, as usual): http://worthhersalt.com/archives/106

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

RazorBunny posted:

I'm guessing it needs to be refrigerated, yes?

My goal here is to not be rushing around like a maniac tomorrow before my guests arrived :)

You can also just prepare it tonight and throw it in the pan, but bake it tomorrow if you'd like to serve it fresh from the oven. Many bread pudding recipes have you soak overnight, anyway.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SEC posted:

It may seem like the simplest thing in the world, but I cannot find a decent recipe for a really fudgey brownie. If anyone could oblige, I'd be ever so grateful.

I've made the Baked brownie a few times now and it's so good. Underbake slightly for extra fudgey. Also do not overmix once you ad the flour or it will be cakey. Just barely mix the flour in, streaks are ok. http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/10/08/the-baked-brownie/

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm looking for a cookbook recommendation for my mom. She's a good cook, no canned soup or jello or cakepops or whatever. I'm looking for a good cookbook geared toward single people or 1-serving things or something, cause her husband died in August and she's having trouble getting back into a normal routine. She's been complaining that she doesn't want to exert much effort into cooking anymore for various reasons, some psychological I'm sure, but also because she's used to cooking large quantities and she won't eat it all. She complains that she doesn't want to eat crap food too so it's kind of her own fault but like I said I think there's more emotional stuff going on and I think a cookbook with some new ideas would make it easier for her. So are there any good cookbooks with recipes that can be scaled down, or are easy (but not Sandra Lee poo poo), or geared toward single servings?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

kiteless posted:

I don't have this, but I remember the buzz when it came out:
http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Cooking-One-Judith-Jones/dp/0307270726/

That looks very nice thank you!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Question for you pressure cooking friends: Just got a Fagor pressure cooker (Duo). Should the lid be able to jiggle when locked? I can move the lid about a centimeter towards unlocking, and the lid can wiggle back and forth when it's supposed to be locked. Is this normal? The box it came in was beat to hell so I'm dubious of this thing/seller now.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bob Morales posted:

Any ideas for leftover Christmas ham, other than massive grilled ham and cheese sandwiches?

Monte cristo sandwiches, scalloped potatoes and ham, jambalaya with ham and andouille

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Quick potato question. I'm catering a tailgate on Saturday, and making a couple steam table pans of cheesy potatoes (they're drunk people from hodunk WI). I bought frozen shredded potatoes today, and the plan was to keep them in the fridge to thaw, then assemble Friday, bake Saturday morning. But I'm having second thoughts on keeping the thawed frozen potatoes in the fridge. Will they turn brown in ~48 hours in the fridge? Anyone see any problem with keeping them in the fridge/thawing for a couple days? They're not in the freezer because I don't have enough room in it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bob Morales posted:

Lifted this from some Jamie Oliver 15 minute meal thing. He called it Hungarian Goulash but don't call it that or people flip out since there's no noodles or hamburger.

Unless you come from an area where "goulash" doesn't mean canned tomato soup, macaroni and ground beef. I'd use my actual goulash (looks good btw) as a teaching moment if people actually didn't know there is a Hungarian goulash.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What's everyone's favorite cheap canned tomatoes brand? I'm using muir Glen for everything right now, but I'd like to save some money on weekday meals. I mostly use them in beans/lentils and soups/stews.

For crushed tomatoes I like Dei Fratelli. Diced, Red Gold. Ground (and for the best pizza sauce ever, straight from the can) 6-in-1 brand made by Escalon. I'd recommend a whole tomato brand if I've found a consistent one I like (that is also relatively inexpensive), but I haven't found one yet. Cento is good, but expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Thinking of making my own vanilla extract. Any recs for where to order the beans? I remember people talking years ago about where they used to order them by the pound, but don't remember. Definitely not paying $2/bean or whatever outrageous price Penzey's is charging these days