Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Does anyone have a good enchilada recipe? It's my girfriend's favourite dish, and I'm looking to make up for the fact I accidentally took the car keys to work with me this morning (so she was late for work, and is now grumpy).

I've only ever cooked them the same way my mum did (make chilli, wrap in tortillas, cover in salsa and cheese, bake). It's a step up from El Paso, but I figure it's a long way from authentic.

slavedaeva posted:

I have been tasked this Yule to make Turducken. (Yes, I cringed too.) Incredibly, the internet has failed me on this one. I need potato side dish ideas, please! All I'm finding is "standard thanksgiving dishes are fine", but I cannot agree to serving mashed potatoes next to a turkey stuffed with cornbread, stuffed with duck, stuffed with ... you get the idea. An SA search turned up exactly what I expected, goons making fun of turducken, and I felt all was right with the world once again. Which still leaves me clueless as to what actually to serve with this fowl beast.

The side menu so far is tossed salad, cranberry sauce, roasted winter squash, sauteed broccoli and brussels sprouts, and an as yet undecided biscuit/bread type thing. The fiance insists on a potato dish, last year we did gnocchi and he wishes not to repeat.

Would a gratin be as heavy next to the meat stuffed meat as I think it would be?
Would a pommes anna be acceptable? Or would it be too simple or for that matter too pretentious? When making a turducken should one even care that a side dish may upstage it?

Thank you!

I'd just do goose-fat (or lard, if you prefer) roast potatoes. Boil until they threaten to fall apart, shake the colander like crazy so that the edges break up and become fluffy, and then roast, basting now-and-again until done (45 mins, maybe an hour?). The fluffy edges make the roasties much more delicious when roasting, as they become super crispy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU