Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

I'm not sure which thread this question would be more appropriate in - but I have a Spanish thyme plant and I'm not going to be able to use all the leaves before the plant inevitably starts dying on me. Anyone know if it's better to dry the thyme (in the oven), or freeze it? I'm hoping to preserve as much flavor as possible, for as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

This might be a long-shot, but can anyone tell me the difference between taro leaves and collard greens, texture and taste-wise? I've got a recipe that calls for boiled taro leaves, but I'm thinking to substitute them with collard greens instead. (Unless it's a lost cause becuase of the flavour discrepency).

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Collards are a little tougher, but that's the only difference probably. Collards are the toughest green. They'll be fine.

Thanks a bunch! It actually worked out pretty well :)

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

I'm considering making a parsnip and squash gratin for Christmas this year, but the list of ingredients has got me stumped.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what "pot" and "double pot" cream refer to?

(Full recipe here)

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Cavenagh posted:

It's referring to the pots the cream comes in. Stupid way to write a recipe.

Thanks a BUNCH. Seems to be pretty common when it comes to recipes written by Brits, you saved me a whole lot of heart-ache there!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

I've read so many Black Forest cake recipe it's coming out of my ears. Because of the many different variations, I figured I'd wing it and try my own thing. After baking the chocolate cake, I halved it and spread a bit of the juice from cherry-pie filling on the halves in order to get them semi-moist, but I also went ahead and drizzled a bit of brandy on the halves - not cherry brandy, just regular brandy.

My question is - was the latter a really, really bad move? I only sprinkled a few droplets of brandy on the cake halves, but I'm worried that it'll affect the taste of the chocolate in a negative way. Topping it off with cherries and whipped cream though, which might mask the taste a bit.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Another hot sauce question! I just boiled and blended pineapple, oranges, a lime and habaneros together. Unfortunately the first thing that hits the palate is a slight sort of citrus-rindy bitterness. The heat's still there, so that's nice and all - but what can be used to remove the bitterness, while not making the hot sauce too sweet? Thanks!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Would using pork stock instead of beef stock in a red wine sauce significantly affect the flavour?

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

A stock question, if anyone's got time: Do duck stock and chicken stock differ widely in flavor, or can one use duck stock in place of chicken stock? How might that affect the dish? Thanks in advance!

Final Call fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 19, 2015

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Duck stock tastes way 'meatier', it depends on what you're doing.

Thinking about using it in a gravy to go with mashed potatoes - the meaty flavour is definitely not a disadvantage. Thanks!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

I'm gonna be making buttermilk fried chicken, cornbread, confetti corn with bacon, duck-based gravy and mashed potatoes. I'd like to give the mashed potatoes a nice flavour, but I'm worried that it'd clash with the other dishes. Which option seems best?

a) add philadelphia cheese to the mashed potatoes and bake it a bit
b) make mashed potatoes with oven-roasted, mashed garlic
c) make mashed potatoes without any frills except for butter and heavy cream

Final Call fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 21, 2015

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Most no-bake cheesecake recipes call for lime or lemon to be added to the cream cheese. What exactly does the citrusy element contribute, and is there any good substitute if making a citrus-free cheesecake? Thanks in advance!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A bright citric acidity. You could use powdered citric acid, but that acidity does wonders for the cheesecake. Why are you trying to avoid it?

Because the friends I'm making it for have a list of about twenty allergies between them. The best I could come up with after reading countless dessert recipes was a citrus-free lactose-free cheesecake :(

Gerblyn posted:

You want something sour, otherwise the whole thing will be way too rich and sweet. There are non-citrus fruits you could use instead though, like raspberries, blackcurrants, cranberries or pomegranate. Just put them in a bowl, crush them with a masher and them strain them through a sieve. This will mean your cheesecake goes red/purple though.

This is awesome. I'll try a few of these in different batches. Thank you!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

pile of brown posted:

Post their list so we can give you better ideas than a tofu cake monstrosity, or whatever the hell you make a cheese less cheesecake out of

It's not gonna be a tofu cake, just a cheesecake with lactose-free butter and lactose free cream cheese. :) Oh, and no citrus of course. But it's part three of a dinner I've planned for my friends' tenth anniversary, which currently consists of "tear and share" garlic bread with artichoke soup and crisped parma ham, boeuf bourguignon and cheesecake. I'm not the most advanced cook, but these were the best I could come up with considering I'd like to prep as much in advance as possible, and given the allergies:

Lactose
Nuts
Anything that resides in the sea
Essentially all seeds
Oats
Most grain-related stuff
Rice
Chocolate, cocoa, nougat
Peas, beans, corn.
Sprouts
Soya
Wheat kernel flour
Raw carrots (must be boiled to mush to not pose a threat)
Raw apples, pears, tomatoes.
Exotic fruit like kiwi, mango, pineapples, citrus, bananas. European fruit is okay though.
Paprika

Any other dessert recipes catering to the above would be greatly appreciated though!

Final Call fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 31, 2015

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

I made Creme Anglais with Coconut milk last week, and it was really good. I think they could eat that? Otherwise I got nothing, I know some lactose free recipes because my brother's girlfriend is intolerant, but if you take out all flour and grains, then I get a bit stuck because I mostly do baking...

Since they cannot eat flour or grains, what's the garlic bread made of?

Would have loved to, but coconut is one of those fruit considered "exotic". Safe fruit are strawberries, rhubarbs, anything that can be grown in European soil except for apples. Should have explained the flour allergy a bit better though, the person in question is only allergic to the type of flour that only consists of the innermost part of the kernel - bit of google translating calls it white flour. Grains in this case means whole, unprocessed grains.

Cavenagh posted:

Not seeing an egg allergy, so I'll suggest an Eton Mess. . It's crisp meringue, fruit and cream swirled together. Replace the cream with something lactose free, even the cream cheese could work. Spike the fruit with alcohol. Fruit can be whatever is safe. It's a pretty hassle free dessert.

This sounds fantastic, and really versatile! Gonna try a few versions today. :)

Eeyo posted:

Maybe it's one of those elimination diets? A lot of those are common allergies so maybe they'll test them by adding one back at a time. I'm not a doctor but usually when an extra long list of allergies comes up, people usually claim it's an elimination diet or just a lot of bullshit.

No idea :( It's slightly frustrating to have your hands tied - but at the same time, it's a pretty interesting challenge!

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

nuru posted:

Your words, or theirs?

Mine, because their words were "no apples, pears or exotic fruit". I'm guessing their definition of exotic is anything not locally grown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

That Works posted:

Sound suspiciously like someone who is trying to just avoid bleached / processed white flour and passing it off as an 'allergy'

I hear you, but the person in question basically got this list of allergies from his doctor when tested during the 70's. One might think that they might want to get re-tested, but hey.