Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Ridonkulous posted:

Because the treads left open are reccomendation or recipe threads. The ones closed are discussion threads.

What the heck is wrong with discussion? Not every thread needs to be question/response... sometimes we enjoy conversing about the food-related topics that interest us. (Or, for more lurkery-types like me, reading the conversations).

Not trying to be difficult, I just don't really understand the change. It's like the forum is supposed to be more of a Q&A and less of a community. The topics brought me to this forum, the discussions made me stay. After all, the breadcrumbs do read "The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons"

EVG fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What do I do with a 6 lb cooked pork butt roast? I made BBQ pork sandwiches for a party last night. I wanted to make sure there was enough food so I made 2 butt roasts in 2 slow cookers, but we only used one of them.

I'd be up for anything that doesn't involve BBQ sauce or a bun. A soup that uses shredded pork would be great but a 2 minute search didn't turn anything up.

Tacos? There was a thread some time back that (IIRC) described making carnitas from pulled pork, and had the cooked, shredded meat crisped up to deliciousness under the broiler.

Maybe someone else remembers what thread that was in?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Where can I find Mr. Wiggles' pumpkin curry recipe? I checked the wiki and tried google but no luck.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Drimble Wedge posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2110288

In case you don't have archives, here is the whole thread. I apologize that only one image was still there:

Edit: would it be terribly presumptuous of me to add things to the wiki? I have archives access and time on my hands, but although I read GWS regularly I don't post much, and I don't want to piss off people who have access to boiling oil and really good knives. :ohdear:

I'm confused about how the curry part starts:

quote:

The curry begins in much the same way. Saute onion in oil for a few minutes over medium heat:

Add the rest of the remaining fresh pumpkin, chopped a little larger than in the dal:

The ingredients seem to indicate that you use 1 whole small pie pumpkin for the curry, but the instructions look like you used some pumpkin here, and some there. Clarification?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I've just acquired a 10lb bag of limes. What should I do with this unexpected bounty?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I would kill for a proper way to do restaurant style teriyaki chicken. I love that stuff on a bad day but trolling though the net has gotten me a variety of crazy recipes. This includes using orange marmalade or cooking by boiling the chicken in the sauce to cook.

Is there a proper (or superior) method for making this style of dish? Thanks in advance!

The cooks illustrated method is easy and delicious. It calls for bone-in thighs but I've used boneless thighs and breasts both with good results.

quote:

8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 5 ounces each), trimmed, boned, and skin slashed (see illustrations below)
1/2cup soy sauce
1/2cup sugar
1/2teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2tablespoons mirin
1clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2teaspoon cornstarch

1. Position oven rack about 8 inches from heat source; heat broiler. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; set thighs skin side up on broiler pan (or foil-lined rimmed baking sheet fitted with flat wire rack), tucking exposed meat under skin and lightly flattening thighs to be of relatively even thickness (see illustration 6). Broil until skin is crisp and golden brown and thickest parts of thighs register 175 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 8 to 14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking time for even browning.
2. While chicken cooks, combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic in small saucepan; stir together mirin and cornstarch in small bowl until no lumps remain, then stir mirin mixture into saucepan. Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup and forms syrupy glaze, about 4 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
3. Transfer chicken to cutting board; let rest 2 to 3 minutes. Cut meat crosswise into 1/2-inch- wide strips. Transfer chicken to serving platter; stir teriyaki sauce to recombine, then drizzle to taste over chicken. Serve immediately, passing remaining sauce separately.

The sauce comes out really tasty, just be sure to watch it at the end so that it doesn't burn, which is very sad. I've also used the sauce on pan-fried tilapia filets and it's equally delicious. Serve with rice and some sautéed asparagus for a great meal.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Left Ventricle posted:

Well, I didn't want to have terrible culinary shame for using no-boil noodles and pre-shredded cheese in my lasagna. Love is the secret ingredient and all that. Thanks.

I don't see any reason to shy away from no-boil noodles.

But making a pasta sauce from scratch is not really time consuming, and it will taste so much better than the jarred stuff.

I was a naysayer too, but (thanks to this forum) I've started testing and trying things out, and it really does make a difference.

By all means go ahead with the jarred sauce for a quick weeknight meal (hell, you're still light years beyond the horror of "frozen Stouffer lasagna") but please try the real deal some weekend or something and see how it compares.

I actually made the Cooks Illustrated recipe last weekend and it was really, really good and not all that difficult. The only part I dislike is chopping the basil, so I make my husband do that.

Sauce Ingredients
Tomato-Meat Sauce
1tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped fine (about 1 cup)
6medium cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1pound meatloaf mix or 1/3 pound each ground beef chuck, ground veal, and ground pork NOTE: I don't eat veal so I subbed 1/2lb beef and 1/2lb sweet italian sausage, and it was great. I bought the sausage links and just pulled off the casings, so I now have some leftover sausages for later.
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , drained
Ricotta, Mozzarella, and Pasta Layers
15 ounces ricotta cheese (whole milk or part skim), 1 3/4 cups)
2 1/2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/4 cups) Note: Please try grating your own parm for this, the pre-shredded stuff in the green canister is like flavorless foot dust. I used my mini-chopper to save time and it pulverized the poo poo of of the block of parm in no time. Otherwise you will spend a while grating - but just turn on the TV for a bit and go to it.
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 large egg , lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
12 no-boil lasagna noodles from one 8- or 9-ounce package
16 ounces whole milk mozzarella , shredded (4 cups) Note: Again, I had the food processor do this part, using the shreddy blade attachment.

Instructions:

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground meats, salt, and pepper; cook, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon, until meat loses its raw color but has not browned, about 4 minutes. Add cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and only fat remains, about 4 minutes. Add pureed and drained diced tomatoes and bring to simmer; reduce heat to low and simmer slowly until flavors are blended, about 3 minutes; set sauce aside. Time saving tip!: (Sauce can be cooled, covered, and refrigerated for up to 2 days; reheat before assembling lasagna.)

3. Mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, salt, and pepper in medium bowl with fork until well-combined and creamy; set aside.

4. Assemble first lasagna layer according to illustrations below. Repeat layering of noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and sauce two more times. Place 3 remaining noodles on top of sauce, spread remaining sauce over noodles, sprinkle with remaining cup mozzarella, then with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Lightly spray a large sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and cover lasagna. Bake 15 minutes, then remove foil. Return lasagna to oven and continue to bake until cheese is spotty brown and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes longer. Cool lasagna about 10 minutes; cut into pieces and serve.

Note that this still could totally be a weeknight recipe, but it does take like 1.5 hours so that's pushing it for me after work most of the time.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

you ate my cat posted:

I'm making a holiday dinner for ~8 people next weekend, and just found out that someone is coming who is severely lactose intolerant. I was planning to do pumpkin pie, but now that's out the window due to the milk content. I've looked at a few recipes, but I'm hesitant. Is there a way to do non-dairy pumpkin pie that's at all like the 'real thing'?

No one else seemed to answer, so I did a little looking online. I haven't tried it myself but this recipe seems to have good reviews below it.

http://mykidsallergies.blogspot.com/2007/10/pumpkin-pie-recipe-dairy-free-nut-free.html

I also saw recipes that used coconut milk and soy milk - now I'm intrigued with the idea of a coconut milk pumpkin pie. If you end up trying one of those, do let us know how it comes out.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

My parents sent a jar of candied jalapeños (?!) and a jar of sorghum molasses for Christmas. I figure y'all can give me some good recipes or uses for the molasses (given that I don't really care for molasses cookies) and advise on wtf to do with candied jalapeños.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Wet in a syrupy jar - ingredients are jalapeños, sugar and vinegar.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I roasted a chicken the other day as I'm trying to both eat cheaper, and evade some of the immense shame that I get from Mr. Wiggles always talking about how bad it is to buy the jumbo packages of chicken breasts from Costco and realizing that I was guilty of the same.

My free-range organic roaster came out nice as a roast chicken dinner, and some of the meat has gone into white chicken chili and into two different kinds of quesadilla, but I have a couple pounds of meat left and am looking for good recommendations.

I was thinking of making some pulled chicken sandwiches - would I just heat the chicken with some BBQ sauce and put on bun, or is there a better way to do this?

The idea of a BBQ chicken pizza also came to mind (one of my favorites for delivery) but I've never cooked a pizza before at all.

Any other suggestions? I'm not too interested in soup or chicken salad.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I eat so much soup already! Thanks for the advice. :)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

And when rice goes bad it will STINK. More than you thought was possible from rice... So don't forget it in the back of your fridge!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman for the practice.
On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee for the theory and a wealth of background.

I just bought the How to Cook Everything app for my iPad, and I LOVE it. It has the entire text of the book with all of the recipes, is searchable, cross-referenced, updates, was cheaper, and doesn't weight 50lbs.

Example: I search for "lentils" and get a list of recipes. I select a soup recipe and it lists stock as an ingredient, with a link. Clicked and it opens to the stock recipe in a new column (so you can still see the previous recipe). It says to chop an onion, and you can click THAT to get a popup on the best way to chop an onion.

It also has clickable timers whenever it says to cook something for X amount of time, and the timers are labeled so you remember WTF you were timing, and will still go off if the app is closed.

Best $10 ever spent.

I agree that it does look like a lot of the recipes may be underseasoned/spiced, but it's still looking to be a very useful guide for someone who doesn't know the basics that good cooks take for granted.

EVG fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 29, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I have 3 chicken carcasses from roasted birds, a couple lbs of chicken wings (raw), carrots, celery, onions, and an entire cupboard of dried herbs from Penzeys.

How do I turn this into delicious chicken stock? Looking for amounts of herbs, water, etc because I've never done this before. I do have a crockpot but it is making pulled pork right now, but if it's still the best way to go I can do the stock overnight tonight.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Phummus posted:

Here's what I have used in the past for making stock. Its about half the way down the page, but the article above is worth a read (why you should not leave stock out on the stove top)

http://ruhlman.com/2011/08/stock-clarifications/

When I was googling around, most of the recipes I flipped through said that in addition to the bones I should also add sme raw met such as wings or it wouldn't have much chicken flavor. I went and bought wings for this purpose, was that unnecessary? If also using wings, would I still follow the same recipe, or do I need to cook longer or differently becaus of the raw meat?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

We have a coffee thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

The "Rolls Royce" of automatic drip coffee is considered the Technivorm Moccamaster. It is $300.

traveling midget, PainBreak and Comic recommend the $80 Zojirushi Fresh Brew as a cheaper but good machine
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887#post395605691

Bob_McBob brought up the Bonavita Automatic with thermal carafe for $150
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post399384822

I looked into this extensively with my coffee-snob husband, and we ended up going with the Zojirushi, and are happy with it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I wanted to make a recipe from How to Cook Everything today for veggie burgers, but I have heard that they come out a bit bland.

This recipe includes: Black beans, onion, cayenne pepper, egg (for binding) and a half-cup of chopped sweet potato (optional, I had it on hand). Grind all together, patty up, pan fry.

Will this be good, or boring? What could be added to make it more interesting?

Also, any suggestions on what to do with a bunch of gigantic radishes that showed up in my organic produce box? I don't really like salads.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Yeah, I figured as such, but I only know how to cook from recipes, and don't have a good grasp of complementary spices yet. :) I'll give that a go.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm trying to solve the "sponge problem" in the kitchen.

Specifically I'd like a means of storing fresh (or pre-used but sanitized) sponges in a convenient form, like a dispenser. Then when they get a bit used I'd throw em in a bucket under the sink to santize later, with boiling soapy water. This way I don't need to throw em out when they're structurally sound but filthy.

I'm having tremendous trouble researching this however. It seems like a sponge-dispensing kitchen gadget doesn't exist.

Is there some obvious flaw in my plan that I've overlooked, or simply a better way to deal with sponges?

I just stick the sponge in the dishwasher when it runs, and then throw it out when it starts getting grody.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Spinach can also go in delicious chicken soup, along with ginger and green onion. Just chop up the spinach and green onion and throw it in towards the end so it's not overcooked. The ginger can be cut into matchsticks and added at the beginning, gives it a little bite.

Slice up the cucumber, eat with salt, yum.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

What kind of stock? Should it be seafood stock, or could chicken stock/broth be subbed?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Here's a stock vs. broth question for you.

I used to use store-bought for both, and thought they were pretty much interchangable. Sometimes the package says broth, sometimes it says stock, but it's all yellow chickeny liquid.

I recently made my first homemade stock from leftover carcasses and it is glorious chicken jello. This confuses me when a recipe calls for pouring in a cup (or however much) of stock, and I have wiggly cubes.

Do I need to heat this to liquid, or should I dilute it so it's the broth-type consistency that the recipe seems to want, or just measure and use it as directed? What if I'm making soup? I want liquid chicken soup, not jello-y.

I froze it into cubes and have been using it whenever I need a bit of which flavor in place of bullion, but would like to know for future reference.

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Yehudis Basya posted:

I assume more bones are necessary- more collagen in the pot means more gelatin... mmmmmm stock...

Buy some cheap wings at the store and include them, that'll do the trick. Or if you have an Asian (or other ethnic) market and aren't afraid of anatomy, chicken feet are super cheap and also filled with jello-inducing goodness.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

It's easy and fun!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Dinner tonight will be leftover carbonara from last night, but it's not enough for two dinner-sized portions. We have some boneless breasts in the fridge that I figured we could cook up to round out the meal. Any suggestions on what to do with them, or what herbs/spices if we just pan fry them up?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Sorry, they're skinless breasts. Same basic idea work ok?

I don't have herbs de provence (which Wikipedia says is a mix of savory, fennel, basil, thyme, and lavender flowers and other herbs, does that sound right?) I do have basic Italian herbs, basil, thyme, rosemary etc.

And how hot should the oven be, for how long?

EVG fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 28, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The internet tells me:

Just remove the core, mash the fruit into a rough puree consistency, and add it to your favorite muffin or bread recipe. You will have to, of course, adjust the sugar content to compensate for the sweetness of the pears. The pear will give the muffins and breads a unique flavor and aroma that no other fruit can.

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/8-things-to-do-with-pears-this-fall-0

Smitten Kitchen (<3) has a pear bread recipe, but since it calls for firm, ripe pears I'm not sure how your mushy ones would work out. (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/pear-bread/)

I'd love to know how it works out, because my husband always asks me to buy pears, and then he never eats them before they go soft and icky.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I think I just found my new favorite site.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Sevryn posted:

I'm looking for a recipe that was posted here earlier this year. It was like sweet potato and peanut butter stew with tomatoes, ginger and cilantro I believe. I've tried searching for it but haven't had any luck. Made it once before and it was really good, was going to try and make it again tonight.

Thanks!

Also, to the poster above me, maybe a Puerco Pibil or Pastor?

Was it the Butternut Squash Peanut Stew that I posted? It IS delicious. :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445761

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I made this shrimp & coconut curry the other day, and while it was pretty darn tasty, it seems like something was missing. I did use the fresh shredded coconut, not pre-packaged.

http://nomoremicrowaves.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/fresh-coconut-and-shrimp-curry/

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I have made Moroccan Chicken following (mostly) this recipe about 10,000 times and just love it:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Moroccan_Chicken_and_Couscous

I am having a small dinner party with another couple this weekend and want to make this recipe. Only catch is they are both on a low-carb diet. Is there a vegetable or other low-carb substitute I could use that would go good with this to replace the couscous? Any suggestions for sides would be welcome as well.

Thanks for sharing this link - I've never seen this recipe and was just wondering how to use up the couscous I impulse-bought at the store.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

What can I do with about 2.5 cups of couscous cooked with chicken stock, garlic and some cilantro mixed in, which came out really, really, really salty?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Peapod made a mistake and instead of including 6 green bananas in our grocery order, they delivered 6 bags of fresh green beans.

Any ideas on how to possibly use these up before they go bad? I'm only cooking for 2 people so it's seeming rather daunting at the moment.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

RazorBunny posted:

I think EVG was supposed to get bananas, but got a shitload of green beans instead.

Personally I would pickle them, pickled green beans are awesome.

Correct! That sounds interesting - how would one go about that? I've never pickled anything before.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Oh, derp. n/m.

Make sichuan dry fried beans erryday

A recipe would be helpful!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Kurt_Cobain posted:

How do I get some flavor or taste into this soup I call 'the blue collar soup,' It has mushrooms, carrots, potato, garbanzo and pinto beans in basic vegetable broth. I like it for some reason, but I feel this could have more flavor. What can I do?

How are you preparing it? Do you just toss the veg in a pot and cook until done? Is there sauteing, etc, going on? Any herbs or seasoning? Canned or fresh veg?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Dip eggrolls in it!

...anyone have a good recipe for eggrolls?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Sionak posted:

What's the best way to freeze leftover soup and other dishes? I used to just ladle it into plastic bags, but I've noticed my food picking up a plastic-y taste after even a couple months in the freezer.

I freeze soup & etc in tupperware and haven't noticed any off taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

So I'm looking at a recipe that calls for roasting garbonzo beans in an oven with various seasonings. I like the general idea, but I want to play around with the beans and am not used to cooking with them outside of making hummus.

My first question: It calls for dried beans that need to be soaked for 12-24 hours, and then boiled for 1-3 hours after that. I'm getting the impression that this site is geared towards some of the sillier natural food trends, and wonder if I am losing by using canned beans instead. I know canned items aren't good for everything, but is an extra 27 hours of effort really going to change much?

My second question: what sorts of seasonings can I put on the beans in a 350 oven for 30-40 minutes without having to worry about them burn? Salt is an obvious one here, but I wonder if it would be better to toss the finished beans in some minced herbs and garlic after the fact instead of during.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

I recently made a recipe that called for roasting chickpeas in the oven - I was dubious, but it worked and they got crispy and delicious! I used the canned ones, rinsed to get the "canned goo" sliminess off, and they worked great. I'm sure you could do the same.

In my recipe, we mixed spices with oil and then tossed the chickpeas and other items with the spiced oil, and then roasted on a sheet pan for 20 mins at 450. They didn't burn, so maybe if you tried the same thing (mix whatever seasoning in oil, and toss)?

(This is the recipe if you are interested - it was delicious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Chicken-Breasts-with-Garbanzo-Beans-Tomatoes-and-Paprika-242113)