Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Randomity posted:

One of my best friends from high school is divorcing her high school sweetheart and I'd like to have her over for a nice dinner since we haven't really hung out much lately. I'd like to do something that is impressive but not too much work, if possible. The only dietary restriction is she recently lost a whole lot of weight counting calories (is this a GWS-approved method of weight loss?) so no calorie bombs, please.

One thing I have that the average person may not have is a Sous Vide Supreme Demi, if that helps. Also my oven is tiny and only has one rack, but I have a four burner electric stove. As of right now I keep thinking pork but that's as far as my brain will take me. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

One good way to cater to people doing calorie counting diets is to have a nice, fresh salad (optionally with low calorie/low fat salad dressing) as a side to the main meal.

My go-to one is iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper and shredded carrots, but for something nice you can always do something a little bit fancier like a couscous salad, mango salad, watermelon and basil, etc.

Also calorie counting is a great way to lose weight. As long as you're taking in less calories (energy) than you're losing during the day, you'll definitely lose weight. Most good diets recommend a deficiency of around 500 calories per day (meaning if you're using 2000 calories a day, eat 1500), and since there are 3500 calories per pound, this results in one pound of weight loss each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ktb posted:

You will need a good thermometer as temperature control is essential to achieve tempering.
Cannot emphasize this enough. Don't get a cheap one. Get a good instant read thermometer. The precise temperatures required with tempering make it almost impossible to use a traditional thermometer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

VanSandman posted:

I don't post here ever, but I'd like to know what GWS thinks of these.

I'm pretty sure someone made them in the old cookie thread, and the consensus was they are delicious.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

As a thin person who only drinks diet soda (regular soda makes me thirstier and I can't stand the taste) I have to object to your completely incorrect comment.

Also, if you actually read the link, it shows that when you start drinking more than one can of soda each day, the risk of obesity starts being a hell of a lot higher if you're drinking regular soda.

What the others have said about diet soda is correct: if you replace your regular soda with 100-odd calories with diet, you will lose weight. It won't necessarily be healthy, but you'll be taking in fewer calories.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Yeah, I looked again and you're right, it seems I was looking at the definitions for Australia :shobon:

Australia has crazy high fat content in milk/cream/etc. In Canada we have skim, 1% and 2% milk.

I was amazed to find that the LOW FAT version of milk in Australia was 2%.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What should I look for in the grocery store for pepperoni to put on pizza?

Since I've moved to Canada, I haven't found any in the grocery stores other than the tiny ones that you just eat as a snack. None of the bigger pizza-sized ones.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I generally just go to the deli counter and ask for slices.

Cool, thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Samosas are the best deep fried Indian food.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If I add melted butter to half and half can I whip it into cream?

I need to make whipped cream for a recipe for my mom and she bought half and half, probably thinking it was healthier, and I can't go get some real cream until later.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Noni posted:

I did exactly what you are doing while camping and it seemed to work. But try not to melt the butter too much, and use unsalted. Crisco would work too, I bet. Hell, try using bacon fat if you are curious, daring and abusive to your family. You've just got to get the fat content back up to a third. You'll be depending on vanilla to bring the flavor. Otherwise it'll taste like, well, fluffy butter. That was my stripper name, by the way.

You'll still have to finesse it a bit. Keep it very cold as you whip. That's why I was cautioning against melting the butter. Then stick it immediately in the freezer or on ice. See, you're trying to get past the problem of some of the added fat not easily becoming suspended. You'll have a stability issue even with plenty of fat.

Let us know if the bacon fat thing actually works. I think bacon-whipped cream will have a large market at truck stops, Wal-Marts, and county fairs.

Thanks for this! I'm going to give it a shot, but not with bacon fat sadly haha.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In AUSTRALIA of all places the eggs are on the Supermarket shelves in a ridiculous number of Coles/Woolies stores.

I never got over that being just weird.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ratatouille is always the answer when eggplant is involved :3:

Either that or I've heard eggplant curries are really tasty, but I've never tried one, personally.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This was the first Indian food recipe I ever used, and it's also delicious once you've made daal and want something else:

Ingredients:

5 large chicken breasts, cut in large pieces
2 tbsp butter, melted, for brushing
For the wet Rub
1 1/4 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp paprika powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
For the Marinade
1/2 cup yogurt
1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
juice of one lemon
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
liquid red food coloring (optional)
Instructions:

Wash and pat dry the chicken breasts. Cut them in half or thirds, depending on the size of the breasts. Cut deep slits into the chicken breasts.
In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients for the wet rub. Smear the rub in between the slits and if there is any left over, rub it over the entire chicken breasts.
In a medium size bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Place the chicken in the bowl with marinade and mix well, making sure each chicken breasts is fully coated.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hours.
Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and over it, place a grill rack. Place the chicken breasts over the grill rack leaving a bit of space in between each piece.
Bake the chicken for 30 minutes, and after 15 minutes brush some butter over each piece. After the first 30 minutes, turn the chicken pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes, again brushing the meat with butter after 15 minutes.
Garnish with lemon slices and chopped green onions.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Base Emitter posted:

ee: Eggs are kind of all over the map, but I suppose chickens are not precisely calibrated machines. Apparently most of the sodium is in the white, not the yolk, and numbers range from 60-180mg/egg, according to the USDA nutrient database.
Look at the actual nutrition label on your specific box of eggs, it should probably be close enough to reality for you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Americans! If I need 15 ounces of canned pumpkin, is that in grams, or in mls?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I think if it's a solid, ounces = weight and if it's liquid, ounces = volume
Yeah, I guess pumpkin counts as a solid. I'm going to go with that, anyways, thanks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CuddleChunks posted:

It's canned and measured in gram weight on the side. You should look for a 425g can for most recipes, assuming they are direct analogues to our 15oz cans.
Thanks! My can was 800g which I knew was too much regardless, so I just scooped out 425g of it into a bowl :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Oski posted:

GWS, any tips for great pierogi fillings? I need a couple of really tasty fillings as a treat for my polish father tonight.

Was thinking of maybe doing the one on the GWS wiki and maybe some sort of mushroom filling but I have a feeling the mushrooms would leak too much liquid and make the whole thing a soggy mess.

What do you guys think?
Bake potatoes, then skin & mash them with proscuitto, cheese of your choice (aged cheddar and parm would be awesome) and spring onion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does anyone have any good recipes that involve using pumpkin pie filling that aren't pumpkin pie? I accidentally bought two cans of filling instead of pure pumpkin the other day and now I need something to do with them. Or if you have a recipe for pie that doesn't involve evaporated milk, that's good too!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ Cool, glad it turned out well :)

Thanks for the recipe dino, will definitely try that! EVG sadly it's ED Smith brand, and the recipe on the label calls for evaporated milk which I don't have.

And yeah, I definitely never intended to buy pumpkin pie filling. I am just a dumb person who doesn't read labels properly!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Does coconut milk really taste a lot like coconut?

I ask because I see so many recipes for Indian food which call for it, and I'm not a big fan of the taste of coconut. Therefore, I've never had coconut milk, and I'm wondering if I make a dish that calls for a can of it if it'll have a strong coconut taste, or if it's more of a soft aftertaste, which I could totally deal with.

Thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cool, thanks guys!

Time to expand my Indian cooking horizons from the tomato-based curries!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ugh.

I seared some steak to make a beef stew, poured in my stock, which was cloudy and smelled a bit off. I immediately dumped everything into a collander and rinsed off the meat and onions, can I still use them, or is everything ruined?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Sweet, thanks guys, I'm not super concerned about food safety either so back into the pot it goes!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it's definitely going back to a boil. I also cleaned off the pot and re-seared the meat just to be safe. Now it's got a brand new can of beef stock and should be good!

And yeah if it's still off I'm ordering pizza.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Here's another quick food safety question from me, but I'm 99% sure I know the answer already, just want to check:

If I make a three layer cake and one of those layers is a baked cheesecake, it still needs to be stored in the fridge, right?

Thanks!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Thanks!!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just opening the oven does it. Hot air comes out, cold air goes in. That's why you're not supposed to open the oven frequently to check on things cooking within. It's also why the simple act of basting your turkey can add an hour or more to roasting time.

On my oven, you can actually see the temperature change by turning the oven off and then back on immediately, at which point the digital display will show the current oven temp as it heats up again.

Yup, absolutely. This is totally obvious if you ever cook a batch of naan bread on your pizza stone. The first one will finish with 30 seconds on each side, by the time you get to the 6th one, the door has been opened and closed so many times it takes 2 minutes a side :(

(I totally should have thought that through and cooked the naan 10 minutes earlier, and let the stone re-heat in between breads)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Aradekasta posted:

So it's pumpkin-in-everything season. Every year I'm mildly disappointed with my pumpkin things, and am thinking maybe I don't like pumpkin as much as I like the idea of it. I tried pumpkin beer bread (roughly, slate's version), pumpkin biscotti, and an attempt at reproducing the pumpkin spice latte. Meh. Any ideas on other things to put pumpkin in? Polenta is on the agenda already.

I made pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin walnut muffins and both have been fantastic.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saint Darwin posted:

On Halloween we're having a potluck here at work, and I'm not sure what to make.

The problem is, I'm assigned to desserts. I don't even eat desserts, much less make them. I'm going to try to see if I can get reassigned because I am seriously at a loss as to what I can even do, but if I'm stuck, what's a simple fallish dessert that isn't a pie? I say not a pie because everyone makes pie.

Go through the first 10 or so pages of tastespotting, this time of year it's filled with recpies for cool Halloween type things like cupcakes with ghosts made from meringue on top, that sort of thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In both Canada and Australia I have numerous times eaten eggs that had a best buy date at least a month before said date of consumption and been fine.

But I only eat free range soooo :smug:

I know this probably has zero to do with eggs being forever

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If it's just five days, cook them and leave them in the fridge. You could keep them raw no problem in the fridge for about 2-3 days (hell, depending on your meat, five days might even be fine) and the freezer for the rest if you prefer, but I'm lazy and would just cook them all at once and reheat as needed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not going to lie, I would cook it anyway. I wouldn't re-refrigerate though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
For your fruits, I would make smoothies. Combine fruit, some yoghurt and water in a blender, let it sit until it comes to something warmer like room temperature and you're good. I like to use Greek yoghurt for not only the added protein but also because it keeps me full for a while.

I can't really recommend anything for vegetables though, sorry.

Also almost anything you can make in a crockpot (salsa chicken!) would probably work really well for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pissingintowind posted:

I feel like there used to be a Food Safety thread in this forum but I can't find it...

Anyway, at risk of sounding like a gigantic goon:

I found a big Costco pack of Activia yogurt in my fridge. It's got a November 18th sell by date. Am I cool to keep eating it? Would hate to throw out like 20 yogurts.
It'll probably be fine, especially if it's still sealed.

If there's mould growing on it, don't eat it. If there isn't, it's almost certainly still good.

I recently found some yoghurt in my fridge that expired in August and was still sealed. It tasted fine and I'm not dead.