Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Phadedsky posted:

Is it possible to freeze bread dough like pizza dough? Because I have a recipe for three loaves of bread, but I really only need one loaf at a time. Plus then I would have some ready to bake dough. Thanks!

I sometimes freeze naan dough at work and it comes out okay after thawing, and naan dough isn't terribly different than a basic pizza dough (plus yoghurt) - but the texture is a little different afterwords it seems, but not in a deal-breaking way.

Wandering Knitter posted:

On the note of lunches I have a request too.

I'm going on a day trip in a few weeks and I'll have to brown bag my lunch. I need a meal that is filling, doesn't need to be refrigerated/heated up, and isn't bulky to carry since I'm stuck lugging it around with me.

Right now my only idea is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

have you considered cold cuts?

anyway
I don't drink but I like to cook with alcahol sometimes, is there anyway to keep the rest of a bottle of wine after I use a few tbsp in a sauce or something? Also, is there a chart or something so I can look up what kind of beer to use in something like chili?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Admiral Ballsack posted:

I've never really used peppers much. I'm just not into spicy food, but I've had a few dishes with grilled sweet peppers that were pretty awesome. If I want to do something like that which peppers should I be going for? That'll come off as sweet instead of spicy. Is it all about the color of the pepper?

Color is meaningless. Generally speaking, the smaller the pepper, the hotter it is. Bell peppers and pimentos are sweet peppers.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Under what circumstances (flavor, texture etc wise) would I use shallots instead of onions?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

What? Of course food you make can be bad for you. There's a weird strain underlying GWS where people get aggressive whenever anyone mentions health considerations.

I've had high cholesterol since I was a teenager, and saturated fat is closely connected to cholesterol. Coconut milk has a really high amount of saturated fat, about half that of butter. I think that's good to know.

I use light coconut milk personally. It's not as unctuous as the real thing, but it scratches the itch for me (coconut is my favorite flavor).

E: didn't mean to continue the derail.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 20, 2011

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Would catfish be a good substitute for sapoara?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Hey guys, I wanna make mashed potatoes but seems like a lot of recipes use a lot of heavy cream or butter to get good consistency and flavor. Is it possible to make great-tasting mashed potatoes without a lot of added fat? I'm cooking for my family and they're pretty calorie-conscious.

I've had good results with light (I'm sorry "Lite") sour cream.

A while ago, I bought two hams on sale. One I froze, and one I cooked. The one I cooked, I washed twice, but in the end was still inedibly salty. Now it's time to cook ham #2 - so how can I get rid of all that salt? I thought about soaking the ham in a tub of water, but I don't want it to be waterlogged.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Humboldt squid posted:

I've had good results with light (I'm sorry "Lite") sour cream.

A while ago, I bought two hams on sale. One I froze, and one I cooked. The one I cooked, I washed twice, but in the end was still inedibly salty. Now it's time to cook ham #2 - so how can I get rid of all that salt? I thought about soaking the ham in a tub of water, but I don't want it to be waterlogged.

I ended up just boiling the ham for 15 minutes, got the salt out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

CombatCupcake posted:

This is in an old movie from 1970, it takes place in Portugal or Spain. We've been trying to figure out what it is they're eating.
They are drinking hot chocolate in the coffee cups, and supposedly milk in the glasses. But we cannot figure out what those blocky white things are! They each grab one, so they are firm enough to grab (as opposed to say cotton candy). Then they each dunk it in the milk, leaving it in the glass, even stirring the 'milk' with it. But we don't see them actually eat it.
The brown log things are some biscuit or something they do eat, not concerned so much with those. Guessing some cinnamon biscuit sort of thing, but if you knew that too, also appreciated.

Any ideas???

They look like "espiritas", or meringues.

E: horribly, horribly beaten. This thread has way more pages than I thought it did :facepalm:

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 21, 2012