Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder
I feel like this belongs here more than the Watch and Woot thread but I have a bad feeling I'll be chased out of here with pitchforks and torches for asking... but does anyone have any experience with Weight Watchers and WW-friendly recipes? I've been making things like tuna noodle casserole and I'd kind of like to fancy it up a bit more than that. The problem is you can't really use as much of the delicious stuff (olive oil, butter, cheese, breadcrumbs) in the quantities you'd usually want, so you're a little handicapped.

On that note, I've been kind of thinking about making my own sushi at home. Sushi is allowed on weight watchers (in the right quantities/with the right ingredients, obviously) My husband had a really crappy spicy tuna roll last night (sloppily assembled, really crappy sauce--usually I don't like spicy mayo but this stuff had no spice at all) and I started to think I could probably do it better myself. I know you need sashimi or sushi grade fish, and while I'm not sure if we have a great selection at the usual grocery stores in my small little town there is a huge international grocery store nearby(Jungle Jim's, for anyone in Ohio) that is almost guaranteed to have the proper cut of fish. But I'm a little nervous about working with raw fish. I feel like if it's from a reputable place and the right grade it should be fine, but I dunno. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neko Sou
Jan 24, 2006
Scarved Wonder

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You're on the right track in that you are paying attention to what you're eating. WW just gives you a framework for doing that. That said, I'm not going to trash your diet, if it's working for you, but my guess is that they taste a little bland because they're cutting down all fats and carbs.

Olive oil is good for you. I'm not suggesting you drink it, but if you want to cook something in a couple glugs of olive oil, go for it. Butter is fine in moderation, as is cheese (but generally depends on the cheese). I might catch some flak for this, but some butter substitutes like Smart Balance taste very good. Not regular margarine, I hate the stuff, but SB is a fairly good butter substitute that I use because my dad had high blood pressure and I actually like it. You can't bake with it, but for frying eggs, putting on toast, nearly anything you can use butter for, you can use it in and it tastes good.

I love olive oil, I am Syrian so it's very hard for me to not just throw it into everything. I think I have been relying way too much on things like pasta and cheese. I usually don't eat much pasta (I love it a little too much) so since it's on the diet I've been kind of shoehorning it into all of my food. I have some Palestinian olive oil that's so fruity and beautiful and green, maybe I ought to reconfigure some of my recipes so I can work it back in again. I might make one of my favorite dishes--green beans, tomato, garlic, mint, and olive oil. Simple but delicious!

CuddleChunks posted:

Here are a few recipes I made while learning how things work. It uses the old points system, I haven't recalculated for PointsPlus, sorry.

These look lovely! Thank you! :) I can recalculate it myself.

Growing up our meals always consisted of lots of rice, and then some combo of meat + veggies so it's been tough eliminating the rice entirely. Even when I have a nice steak I always need something like potatoes or rice alongside it. I love all kinds of veggies though, so it might be time to explore new ways of preparing them.

At any rate, thanks everyone for your advice and kind words. Sorry to turn this into my own personal diet journal :sweatdrop: