Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Will jambalaya keep in the fridge or is the rice going to go weird and crunchy? Wondering if it might be wet enough to avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My favorite way to roast a pork tenderloin is rub it with olive oil and put it in a covered vessel of some sort, fat side up. Lay a couple strips of bacon on top if there's not much fat. Stick in the oven at about 225 for six or seven hours. You should get tender, juicy meat butter swimming in its own fluids, no seasonings or sauce required.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dache posted:

Any suggestions, please?

Probably the cast iron pot. You don't need a dedicated fryer unless you're running a restaurant or frying stuff so often that it's not a giant waste of money. Back home we used a fairly deep pan, put in enough oil to come about halfway up the chicken and flipped it midway through. Works fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Just check that it gets up to temp instead of assuming, but I really doubt there'll be a problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone have a souvlaki marinade you really like? I like mine but I'm looking to experiment a bit with my pita meat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hutzpah posted:

I usually just go with olive oil, lots of lemon, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Lots and lots of everything. The best souvlaki is heavily flavored

Yeah, that's what I'm using. Often add some balsamic vinegar too. Just always looking for new things to try.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can you freeze pumpkin pie filling and use it later without something going to hell? It seems like it should be fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yes, you should be defrosting. What's in it? Can't really tell you how to cook without knowing, with a mix of seafood in a dish you have to add it in order depending on how long each thing takes to cook.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Its a mixed bag of shrimp, scallops, and squid.

Okay, that's a tough mix. Shrimp will take a few minutes depending on how big they are, the best way to tell is to poke them and see how the texture is. Scallops should be seared by themselves in a hot pan, again it depends on thickness but try 30 seconds on each side and see how that comes out. Squid should either be cooked on high heat for no longer than two minutes or stewed on low heat for at least an hour, anything in between is likely to be rubber.

If you have to cook it all together I would start by searing the scallops, set aside. Cook the squid, set aside. Make your sauce and throw in the shrimp, when the shrimp are about done put the scallops back in then add the squid right at the end and leave it in just long enough to get back to temperature.

Edit: This is hardly the only way to go about it but it's simple. Cooking all three of those at the same time is going to gently caress up at least one of them though. You need to cook in batches.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 14, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The one on the left looks like a jalapeno to me. They go red if they stay on the plant too long, but I don't remember them tasting different. Weird, the ones on the right are stunted, the one on the left looks fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm a loving idiot and can't find the good no-lard inauthentic but good carnitas recipe that I've seen posted around here. Anyone have it? I want to make some proper tacos.

Also I'm in Korea so the cuts are different, what kind of pork am I looking for here? Tenderloin and belly are the only cuts I recognize when I go to my pork man. So I need to know what it looks like/characteristics, not the name.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 30, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Shoulder. A big hunk of heavily marbled meat. Lots of fat and connective tissue.

Coolio, easy enough to communicate that. Thanks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've gotten regular yogurt down but I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make the nice, creamy, custardy fruit stuff like these:

I love those loving things and they can't be bought here. I strain my yogurt to make it Greek-ish but it's not creamy, and I'm not sure how to add an even fruit flavor instead of chunks. Especially with something like lemon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:stare:

That's really expensive.

God I wish I could pay that kind of money. Steak is $20-$25 a pound here in Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stewed octopus works fine, I'm not sure about eight hours in a crock pot but simmering for an hour or so makes it tender. Otherwise you want to fry it for about 90 seconds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Happy Abobo posted:

It depends on the colour of the roux. The longer you cook the roux, and the darker it gets, the more flavour it'll impart, but it'll also thicken less effectively.

Yep. Gumbo roux imparts a ton of the flavor, something like a white roux for thickening a sauce doesn't do that much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Asparagus is my favorite stir fry vegetable. Garlic of course, star anise, whole peppers of various sorts, leeks, bok choy, kai lan, broccoli, green onions, garlic stems, green beans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stir frying is good for cooking breast without drying it out. Let them warm up a bit first.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is there a decent substitute for the lard? You can't get it here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

You might be able to use another semi-solid fat (ie Crisco) but you will miss out on the flavor that lard will provide. I will also ad that I have never used Crisco (or lard) in a slow cooker the way that Gravity is describing, but I trust him.

We don't have crisco either. :( I swear I saw a recipe here once for decent no-lard carnitas but I can't find it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You don't really need to bother scaling if you're just baking it. I bought a whole fish a couple days ago and when I slit it open to take out the guts, there were no guts. At all. :psyduck:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

Seed your jalepenos, that's where almost all the heat is.

And give them a quick rinse to get out any lingering oil. Should be virtually no heat then.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

All I know is from experience, removing the seeds and poo poo in the middle still leaves some heat, but if you rinse them out it gets rid of anything lingering.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, I wasn't doubting your experience, I was just saying that the motivation (oil being rinsed with water) didn't describe the phenomenon. I would be interested to know the mechanism though.

Could just be the force of the faucet, even with the oil not dissolving into the water you can knock that poo poo out. When my dad and I were cooking for mom and absolutely had to get every shred of heat out, we'd boil the seeded and rinsed peppers for about a minute and that totally eliminated it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can I freeze beets if I'm only going to use them for borsch? I can only get them online and only in quantities far larger than I'm going to use at once.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Honestly my favorite way to cook asparagus is just toss it in a little olive oil and roast it in a pan or the toaster oven. Don't cook it until it's limp, just until it's soft enough to stick a fork into without too much effort and is blackened up a bit. It's fantastic. Also great in stir fry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have heard stories of restaurants in Asia that have been using one continuous pot of soup broth for like 30 years. So I guess it's a thing you could do but for home use I don't see the point. It's going to get pretty gross even if it's not going to hurt you. Just imagining the hunk of meat that keeps getting lost and has been sitting in there two weeks until you finally get it out and it's turned into some unholy abomination.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dried spices eventually lose a lot of their flavor, there's not much you can do about it. Keep them in sealed bags with the air squeezed out and away from moisture to maximize their lifespan. They're not really hosed up and it's not like they'll hurt you, they're just not very potent after a while.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If the containers have a nice airtight seal there's not much difference, I wouldn't bother. Try to find an ethnic market of some sort when you buy your next batch to save mad dollaz. You'll feel better about throwing out the old and getting fresh spices if you only paid a dollar in the first place. Indian and Chinese/Generic Asian ones generally have the best selection in my experience. Those usually come in lovely bags that you want to replace with ziplocs.

Dried spices have many perfectly legitimate uses, don't feel like a scrub for using them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm a big fan of oi muchim. An example recipe: http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJourna...AC%B4%EC%B9%A8/ I leave out the sugar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

High heat, short time, no lid because crispy skin is awesome. 450 degrees and for a three pound chicken, maybe an hour at most. Check at 45 minutes. The leg will move easily when it's done, and the juices are clear when you stick a knife into the thigh joint.

You don't need any olive oil. Pat the skin dry first then rub on spices.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Adobo that poo poo. Basic recipe, equal parts vinegar/soy sauce, couple bay leaves, some garlic. Simmer the chicken in that until it's about to fall apart, serve with some of the sauce, rice, and a bunch of green onion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It takes a long time but most of it isn't actually doing anything. Prep the spices then let it sit, stick it in the smoker then let it sit. It's like yogurt, it takes a day but you're only actually doing anything for like five minutes of that day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

I don't like the stuff but if you've never had it before, a common mistake is using too much. You only want a very thin layer on whatever you're eating

Yes indeed. Use a lot less than you think you want, then use less than that. Add more after you've tasted it if you need to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You aren't gonna die but it gets pretty gross even if it's an airtight container. And horrible things do grow in cooked rice, but the fridge will slow that down. It'll be crunchy and disgusting before you have to worry about danger. I've never kept just rice sitting around for very long but I've had rice dishes like jambalaya in the fridge for a week or so, it was fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

It's only been a day so I'm thinking fried rice tomorrow. :chef: Thanks everyone!

Everybody keeps rice in the fridge overnight for fried rice. Don't worry at all about that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The texture might not be as good but the idea of a honeycrisp apple pie is giving me a raging erection. I wish we could get those here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's not really any difference. You get the jello effect from a nice thick stock. You could probably dilute that with a little water if you want, but I wouldn't bother, just scoop it in. You can mash it into the measuring cup to get the right quantity if you want to be precise.

You should want jello chicken soup, that's the best kind! Nice strong flavor. It'll liquify back into soup broth when you heat it up again.

Different stocks also act differently. Beef stock will always be a thick gel when it's done right. Chicken can be thick and jelly or still liquid with a protective layer of fat on top, both are fine. Seafood stock will never turn into gel, at least in my experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Coconuts store and travel well, I don't live in an area where you could just go grab a coconut off a tree to compare but I've never noticed anything weird about store coconuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

And thus a hundred goons bought coconuts to try fermenting them.