Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the best places to eat in Las Vegas? I know all the celebrity chefs have their restaurants there, are they the places to go, or is there better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What should I do with about 4 Bartlett pears that are overripe?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone have an easy Kimchi recipe? I've never made it before so I'm not sure about the fermentation process.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Hario hand-crank coffee grinder. When I grind for a French Press, is there any reason to double-grind it for uniformity, or is that just dumb as hell and makes coffee sludge?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Brennanite posted:

Making broth stock for the first time. Any tips or secrets I should know?

Don't worry about trimming the ends off things and such. Just throw it all in and strain it out.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Very Strange Things posted:

Something that seems to keep coming up in this, and the last, questions thread is that it isn't going to taste good until it has a little salt added to it. That doesn't mean that you need to add salt to it when you are cooking it or anything, it just means you want to pull a couple spoonsful out when you think it is probably done and salt that to taste so you know when it's good.
Don't put any cabbage in it would be a good "secret" I guess. I tend to throw a lot of random leftovers into my stock but I think a little overcooked cabbage can destroy the flavor of a whole pot of soup.

I did this once with red cabbage. It was... bad.

Also, pink.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which wine should I pair with a truffle/mushroom risotto? The same wine as is in the dish?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 4, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So basically frozen or unfrozen, but never both?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Thornes posted:

I have a craving for cream of potato soup (preferably with sausage!) but I've never made it by myself and there are too many recipes to sort through on the internet!

Does anyone have a good recipe or any advice for me?

Sautee leeks (or onion) in white wine, add stock, add potatoes and bacon/sausage with a stick of butter and a bouquet garni of thyme and peppercorns, simmer it with bay leaf and give it a good pour of heavy cream and buttermilk afterwards.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 6, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've been making indian curry, but I don't feel like it's salty. All the recipes I've ever seen for it don't have any salt added to them. Should I salt it, or would my other seasonings be off? I serve it over brown rice, so that sort of amplifies it, and I don't see any salt added to the recipes I've found.

I do (spicy) curry powder, ginger, garam masala, and ground fenugreek seed, with assorted vegetables and coconut milk.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it just supposed to be a little bland, like is that part of the traditional dish or something? I'm just wondering why I never saw salt in any of the recipes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Daikon?

Maybe a mummified baguette.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best way to clean burned-on food (cheese, sauce, etc) from a pizza stone?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a recipe for something equivalent to onion soup mix (for AWARD-WINNING CHILI). Something that I can just throw in a plastic bag and mix with hot water.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MY GIRLFRIEND doesn't really eat fish and she's decided that she'll try some today.

I picked up supafresh Ahi steaks, looking for an idea of how to cook them up for A GIRL. I usually just sear it with a beurre blanc, but I'd like some other ideas.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
On a technical level, what classifies something as an herb or a spice? Are herbs just the leafy greens and spices anything else?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lullabee posted:

Besides feta, what are some good cheeses to put on just generic side salads? I've gotten my allergy under control, so I can have a little bit. Plus, I'm trying to teach Mr. Lullabee that healthy food can be just as good as fast food (he's a fast food junkie), so any tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

I like Gorgonzola.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any easy breakfasts I could make with a big pot of couscous, besides oatmeal-esque addons?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the coffee:water ratio (by weight) for a French press?

Edit: just got The Bread Bakers Apprentice--any must-try breads in it?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 21, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the name for the pickled vegetables commonly found at Mexican foods stands, and is there a good recipe for it?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there some kind of secret to making mayonnaise in a blender? I can make it by hand with ease, but whenever I use the blender it seems to turn in to oil with egg foam chunks.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So there's no reason why the speed/heat/whatever a regular blender uses would affect the mayonnaise, just the rate of oil addition?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 25, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Since I keep hearing different things, can anyone tell me the best way to store:

Alliums
Potatoes
Cilantro/Parsley

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Wotan posted:

2) Good bread. I suck at baking, but I'd like to learn and get better. So, more complex recipes are awesome.

Pain A'Lancienne

6c bread flour (27oz)
2+1/4t salt
1+3/4t instant yeast
2+1/4c plus 2T to 3c ice (40f) water (19 to 24 oz)

Paddle mix everything with 19oz water for 2m on low. Dough hook mix for 5-6m on medium. Should be sticky but release from the sides.

Oil a bowl, dump the dough in, spray oil the top, plastic wrap the top, refrigerate overnight.

Take it out of the fridge (it will sort of rise), but leave it out for a few hours so it warms up and doubles.

Flour up the counter, lay it out, try not to degas it, and slice it into baguette strips with a wet pastry cutter. Slash that poo poo.

Oven to 550 (or 500 if you have a bitch oven) with a pizza stone and broiler tray inside, slide your baguettes onto the stone using parchment paper. Steam the oven with a cup of hot water, then give it 3x steam sprays 30 seconds apart. Lower to 475, bake for 8-9m, pull it out and eat that poo poo in 20 minutes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Evan Williams is my cheap go-to.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
2,000 year old edible honey has been found in Egyptian tombs. I'm not sure if the comb makes a difference.

The honey itself might crystallize, but it doesn't expire.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

timmo posted:

Does anyone have a 'goto' webstore for knives? I currently working as a butcher, but since I float between stores I carry my own knives with me. Since I'm in the market for some new knives, I figured I might try to see what websites can offer vs brick and mortar stores. So far, with s&h Amazon seems to be right around the same price range.

Pretty much Amazon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've got a bunch of mint left over from the other day. What to do with it?

My first hunch was this chimichurri sauce

http://norecipes.com/blog/steak-with-mint-chimichurri-sauce/

but GWS hasn't steered me wrong yet. Anyone got recommendations?

If it helps, I have the following on hand: Steak, chicken, catfish, frozen tilapia and fluke, shrimp, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, lemon and limes, ginger, spinach, apples... maybe some other random stuff. I could always hit the store if I am an ingredient or two off. I might have to go anyway because this much mint is just begging for mojitos.

I made a mint yogurt sauce last night.

Basically plain yogurt, olive oil, chopped mint and garlic, salt and a bit of red pepper flakes. Cook up some lamb strips and put it over lentils and quinoa with a bit of spinich/kale, chopped tomato, balsamic, and onion. Eat it kind of like a bowl.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 5, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Scott Bakula posted:

I've started taking couscous with various salad veg (cucumber, tomato, spring onion, red onion) to work for lunch since I can prepare it the night before. What I'm really stuck for are dressings. I don't mind adding it either in the morning or as I'm about to eat but I'm getting bored of basic vinaigrettes

Mint yogurt dressing owns with couscous and salad veg, same thing I posted above.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How would I make chicken stock in a slow cooker? Just toss everything in an put it on high for 8 hours?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the main differences between proscuitto and pancetta, only the area it's cut on (and thus the fat distribution etc)? Would it be like comparing ham to bacon?

I just bought a bunch of proscuitto and am not sure what to do with it, like if I could use it in a carbonara like it was pancetta.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MY GIRLFRIEND really likes those flavored coffee creamers, but they're pretty much water, sugar, palm oil, and artificial flavoring (not even milk or cream in them). Is there a way to make flavored coffee creamer but with actual cream or half-and-half? I was considering trying something like making a cream cocktail (with simple syrup and cocktail bitters) and seeing if that would give the right flavor to it, but has anyone tried something in the past?

Alternately, if it's not possible (or just way too difficult), is there a boxed coffee creamer that's not as bad as the others?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 11, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I also could mix in some vanilla sugar, should I just steep a vanilla bean pod in the cream or chop it up?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How long does ground beef stay good in the fridge, in an airtight container?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Should I use raw or cooked shrimp in a sort of gumbo/chili to be served over rice?

Meaning, should I add shrimp raw or cooked?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Would it be better to cook them separately and then add them to the top when served?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a quick way to stale bread for French toast?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a trick to making mayonnaise with an immersion blender?

I add everything, press the blender down on the bottom and slowly move it around to incorporate the oil, but seemingly randomly it will break and I can't figure out why.

I can make mayonnaise both by hand and by slowly incorporating the oil into the IB so I know how to do it, but the IB with all the oil in it to start is giving me trouble.

Do you pulse or run it? How fast do you incorporate the oil? Do you lift it off the bottom or just roll it around? Can you over-blend it an cause it to break? Am I just missing some critical part that I'm not getting from YouTube videos? Should I use a specific oil for better results? Does any of this even matter and I'm just bad at IB mayonnaise?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Steve Yun posted:

edit: is this the recipe you're following?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

I got nothing better to do right now so I made a batch. Worked just fine other than a little bit of oil at the top that the IB couldn't get to, but I was able to spoon mix that afterwards.

Run

I drizzle most of the time (I usually use the food processor) but with the batch I just made I threw everything into the cup and blended it.

Is the cup you're using something that came with the blender? Mine doesn't have any room to roll around (and it probably shouldn't), I just lifted it slowly up and down.

Doubt it.

Are you using vegetable oil?

edit: goddamn this poo poo is so delicious

That's pretty much the recipe, yeah. I use vinegar and lemon juice both because I like it a little tangy.

I guess all it needs is to ~*believe in you'reself*~~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh_RTtnArE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

toanoradian posted:

Anyone have a video guide on how to break apart a whole chicken?

Some of the recipes from Alton Brown I've watched uses 'Panko breadcrumbs'. Can I substitute these with normal breadcrumbs?

Jacques Pepin does a fantastic video on this, but I can't remember what it was called. He basically butterflies it to wrap it up.