Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.
I'm fermenting with Safale 05 right now, it's never hotter than 65 in my apartment, and the activity is downright violent. To wit, I realized after brewing that I'd lost my airlock and so I fashioned a temporary one from tubing and a rubber band; the stopper blew off during the second night of fermentation. With a new airlock in place today (day 3) it's bubbling like it's pissed off about something and I've had to add water twice. I think you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I've left cider in the carboy where it fermented for 2-3 months and it just gets better (that was spiked with dextrose, though). I'm sure it'll be fine in a keg.

As for almonds, I have no idea what kind of fermentable sugars they have (close to none I think?) but I do know they contain a shitload of alkaloids, so keep that in mind. There's also the issue of the fat and while I know nothing of what fats do to the fermentation process I can't imagine it's good.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Oh, I don't mean the hard cider or apfelwein (hell, I'm still drinking a batch of apfelwein from a keg that I made last august), I mean that I intend to throw 3 gallons of fresh, unfermented cider into a keg to force carbonate..

Oh, right, sorry. I'd be sketch about that too. Why not just Pastuerize it?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I like turtles posted:

Oh yeah, love making infusions. I've been thinking about starting a new thread for infusions but :effort:.

You're in luck.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

This has been sitting in a carboy for a little over 4 weeks, at a pretty much constant temp of 65F:

code:
1 1/2 lbs 2 row
1 1/2 lbs Victory
1 1/2 lbs Cara Pils
7 lbs Dark malt extract

Yeast: Safale 05
It's still bubbling several times a day. Should I let it continue until I don't see any activity at all, or am I good to go ahead and bottle?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Seconded. Bubbling "several times a day" is probably just dissolved CO2 in the beer escaping, not real fermentation activity. Take a gravity reading, airlocks are a notoriously terrible indicator. A hydrometer is like $10 and will pay for itself the first time it answers a question about a batch for you.

I have a hydrometer, I was just being lazy. I'm also apparently terrible at reading a calendar since it's been in the carboy 3 weeks, not 4. Anyway, current gravity is 1.02 (started at 1.08). Still cloudy and slightly sour, should I let it hang out for another week?

Edit: more astringent than sour, but no off aromas. Still, I probably hosed this batch, didn't I?

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 22, 2011

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

So my first brew seems to feel it should have an FG of 1.02 (down from 1.08) so I'm going to let it have an FG of 1.02. However, I'm leaving for 10 days starting next Friday: if I bottle tonight will that give me enough time to discover any bottle bombs? I'd rather not have beer exploding in my empty apartment. If it's not enough time will it hurt anything to let the beer sit for another 2 weeks in the primary?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Sorry, should have specified that it's been at 1.02 for at least a week.

To be honest I have no real desire to bottle tonight and am mostly just wondering if I'll be fine putting it off a couple of weeks. Provided that it's ok to wait a little longer would there've any benefit in moving it from the carboy I used as a primary to the bottling bucket?

Edit: Didn't see that reply before I submitted. Ok, cool, I'll just wait then. Total time in primary will be six weeks, which seems to be reasonable given what I've read elsewhere. Just wanted to check since the recipe called for bottling after 3-4.

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 29, 2011

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I was inspired by this to try to make an "East India Porter," which has turned now more into an Imperial Porter with a shitton of hops. Any opinions on how this might turn out?

code:
Get EIP or Die Trying

Style: Robust Porter	OG: 1.079	
Type:	FG: 1.020	
Rating: 0.0	ABV: 7.73 %	
Calories: 258	IBU's: 44.91	
Efficiency: 70 %	Boil Size: 5.83 Gal	
Color:   52.7 SRM  	Batch Size: 5.00 Gal	
Boil Time: 60 minutes	

Grains & Adjuncts
7.00 lbs	 52.83 %	Pale Liquid Extract
2.50 lbs	 18.87 %	Brown Malt
0.50 lbs	 3.77 %		Amber Malt
4.00 ozs	 1.89 %		Black (Patent) Malt
1.00 lbs	 7.55 %		Chocolate Malt
1.50 lbs	 11.32 %	Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
8.00 ozs	 3.77 %		Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

Hops
1.00 ozs	 Goldings, East Kent	60 min
0.50 ozs	 Select Spalt	30 mins
1.00 ozs	 Goldings, East Kent	20 mins
1.00 ozs	 Select Spalt	15 mins
1.00 ozs	 Goldings, East Kent	10 mins
1.00 ozs	 Select Spalt	5 mins
1.25 ozs	 Goldings, East Kent	1 mins

Yeast: Safale US-05

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

The 1.5 lbs of the 120L crystal was a bit worrying to me as well, I definitely don't want it to be cloyingly sweet in the glass. If I dial up the Pale extract to 8lbs and drop the crystal to just be 8oz of 120L am I swinging the pendulum too far the other way?

My LHBS is tiny, but manage to keep an impressive supply and have brown malt in stock. I've done partial mashes in the past and with the small amount of grain I hope it'll be manageable.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Maybe I'm dumb or just haven't done it enough to be annoyed, but I don't really mind bottling and my daughter freaking loves helping. 80% of what I make goes into bombers or 750ml bottles so perhaps that makes it less tedious than using only 12oz bottles?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Is it weird that I want to set up a webcam to watch my stuff ferment while I'm at work?

I work from home and my beer ferments in my office. Hearing it bubble away behind me is oddly reassuring and gives me a sense of satisfaction. But yah, a webcam would make it weird.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I also got that exact same kit, but the glass carboy version. I have yet to have a reason to replace anything other then the thermometer and hydrometer from it...but those are cause I broke them, not any fault of the kit.

Also, I fully second the 'get star-san' advice.

:edit: also, just in case that isn't sarcasm, the "Brew paddle" is just a big plastic slotted spoon.

The hydrometer isn't your fault, those things have floor magnets in them.

Am I really the only one who uses Iodophor instead of Star San?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I learn best when I gently caress up. So when it's something new I like to have the fewest number of things I can gently caress up, that way it's easier to figure out which thing went wrong. Starting with all grain seems attractive because you'll learn every step involved, but it may end up being harder because you won't know which things you got right and which you didn't. Your approach to things could be different and if so, awesome! But there's nothing wrong or pusillanimous with a partial mash for the specialty grains while using extract for the base. Also nothing wrong with adding dextrose and yeast to 5 gallons of apple juice to see what fermentation looks like prior to brewing beer.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Dolemite posted:

Don't have access to a sewing machine, but the tutorial you linked to doesn't look particularly hard. Maybe there's some artist space around here to rent time on the machine.

The veggie steamer as a cheap false bottom is an awesome idea. Especially since the LHBS wants $40 for a false bottom!

I'd worry that the veggie steamer would bend. mindplux took a Dremel to an old pot lid and it looked perfect. So if you like power tools and sparks that's an option.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

My porter started at 1.08 on the nose and won't drop past 1.024 (been there for 10 days). I was shooting for 1.018 or so, any way to knudge it lower, or should I leave well enough alone? I've tried swirling the carboy to reinvigorate the yeast, but the lazy fuckers are just lying there in the trub.

Edit: 1.024, not 1.022

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 5, 2012

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Warm it up a couple degrees and maybe give it another swirl if you're feeling fancy. I have no problem hitting 70-72 when the ferment slows to keep the yeast active. Beyond that, there's not much else to do unless you want to pitch krausen or something to try and get the last tiny little bits of fermentables out.

It's also entirely possible that 1.024 is just where it's going to end. 1.080 is pretty drat high OG, and 1.024 is 68% apparent attenuation. What was the yeast?

Yeast was Safale-05. I've only used it once before, for a beer of similar OG, and it finished at 1.020. In both cases the initial fermentation started quickly and was freaking nuts for a week. My apartment is basically 63-67* at all times, so I don't know if the yeast doesn't like the booze or the temp, or if that's just what it does. I think I'll wrap it with a hot water bottle and a towel and giving another swirl. It tastes fine, just a little thick, you know?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I bottled my porter last night. It "finished" at 1.024 and after adding the priming sugar the SG was 1.030. Is my apartment going to be washed away by a flood of delicious beer?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Also, what's the yeast?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Thinking of brewing an Imperial Blackberry Wit. I don't really like fruit beers, would someone who does be able to weigh in on the following?

code:
4 lbs. Dry Wheat extract
3 lbs. Liquid Pilsner extract
1 lb. malted wheat

1.5 oz. Halleurtaur @60
0.5 oz. Irish Moss @35
0.5 oz. Saaz @5

Wyeast 3944

4 lbs frozen blackberries added to cooled wort
It'll be on the dark side, but it's hard to get 4SRM with exctract. Plus, blackberries.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Batch size is ~5.75G. I intend to mash the malted wheat, mainly just so I feel like i'm doing more than stirring. Silly, perhaps.

Irish moss is because I'm using whole blackberries and want to make sure everything settles out. Would it be better to hold off and add pectinase if ithe fruit patriculates fail to fall out naturally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Jacobey000 posted:

Add them to secondary.

Why wouldn't I want them to ferment with everything else?