Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006
I brewed a batch of pumpkin beer from kit using spices and canned pumpkin. I followed the instruction to the letter (this is my fifth batch of home brewed beer), but the taste is off somewhat. I've referenced books, but the only way I can describe it is that it tastes like the fermentation gas that comes out of the airlock.

Any explanation for this? Has this happened to anyone else? This batch has also been my slowest to carbonate. 2 weeks in and it has only a very slight fizz. I know it can take nearly a month though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006

tesilential posted:

Many smells come out of a fermenting airlock amigo. At first I assumed you meant the sharp punch of co2, which adds acidity to an over carbed beer. However thats unlikely as you say the beer is not very carbonated.
Did it have the same off flavor at bottling? What was your fermentation temperature?

It tastes about like it did at bottling, and I remember noticing the same off flavor.

I have a mini fridge thermostat so it was a solid 68 to 70 degrees during fermentation. My only guess was that the fermenter may not have gotten enough ventilation locked in the air tight fridge, and the gas built up too much. That couldn't be related could it?...